Review: MP18 SC w/c taper lite

bogeypro

I'm a club ho. Let's just get that out in the open now.

I'm also a Mizuno fan.

I'll most always have 2 sets of irons around the house... Always a set of Mizuno and the other is whatever the flavor of the month is. I decided to see if the current crop of MP irons were better than the MP64 I've been playing. In short answer, yes. In a very big way, IMO.

My other set of irons were the 716 CB. I attended a Titleist demo a week or so ago. You can read about that here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1542138-attended-a-titleist-demo-day-today-718-irons/

I decided on the MP18 SC because I feel that the SC is most similar to the 64. I love blades and could play blades, but I know that I like a little bit of help without losing feel and crossing into a distance iron. I like irons to be consistent. Finally, I like a forged club. I felt the SC best fit these requirements.

Looks: The mp18 SC looks even better in person than it does online. You can really tell there is a great deal of craftsmanship in these irons. The lines are crisp and clean. They just look like Mizuno has really payed attention to detail on these. The finish is exquisite and looks like something seen on a high dollar Japanese forging. This finish, paired with the c taper shaft, just looks eye catching..like they were meant to be together.

Feel/sound: They feel/sound like cutting a crisp fresh head of lettuce. The 64 and mp5 had that old school dull thud. These have a solid, but slightly muted crisp sound. They just sound perfect to my ears.

Performance: They perform very well, as you'd expect. I think they are definitely more forgiving that the mp64. Probably every bit as forgiving as the 716 CB, which were probably the most forgiving players cavity I'd ever played. One thing I noticed with these - they cut the the turf perfectly. The only other irons that I can think of that cut through as well for me (WITHOUT DIGGING) is the Ping s55. The s55 has fantastic turf interaction and so do the MP18 SC. Our fairways are bermuda. Hitting into the grain can be a chore, but these irons just cut right through that thick grass easily, but don't dig. Very very well done Mizuno. I haven't played on firm conditions yet, but I'd imagine these would do well there as well. Spin seems to be just what I'd expect as well. I don't have a trackman, just my naked eyes. Crossfield and others have spin info, if you want to look for that.

Overall: excellent I traded the mp64 and the 716 CB for these irons.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the MMC Fli HI #5 demo with a CTaper Lite shaft and was very, very impressed. Great feeling combo. On the radar...

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Titleist U*505 ('23) 4i

TaylorMade P790 ('23) 5-AW

Taylor Made MG4 56*
Titleist SM8 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

TaylorMade TP5x Pix

Vessel Lite Lux

I'm also a Mizuno fan.

I'll most always have 2 sets of irons around the house... Always a set of Mizuno and the other is whatever the flavor of the month is. I decided to see if the current crop of MP irons were better than the MP64 I've been playing. In short answer, yes. In a very big way, IMO.

My other set of irons were the 716 CB. I attended a Titleist demo a week or so ago. You can read about that here: http://www.golfwrx.c...oday-718-irons/

I decided on the MP18 SC because I feel that the SC is most similar to the 64. I love blades and could play blades, but I know that I like a little bit of help without losing feel and crossing into a distance iron. I like irons to be consistent. Finally, I like a forged club. I felt the SC best fit these requirements.

Looks: The mp18 SC looks even better in person than it does online. You can really tell there is a great deal of craftsmanship in these irons. The lines are crisp and clean. They just look like Mizuno has really payed attention to detail on these. The finish is exquisite and looks like something seen on a high dollar Japanese forging. This finish, paired with the c taper shaft, just looks eye catching..like they were meant to be together.

Feel/sound: They feel/sound like cutting a crisp fresh head of lettuce. The 64 and mp5 had that old school dull thud. These have a solid, but slightly muted crisp sound. They just sound perfect to my ears.

Performance: They perform very well, as you'd expect. I think they are definitely more forgiving that the mp64. Probably every bit as forgiving as the 716 CB, which were probably the most forgiving players cavity I'd ever played. One thing I noticed with these - they cut the the turf perfectly. The only other irons that I can think of that cut through as well for me (WITHOUT DIGGING) is the Ping s55. The s55 has fantastic turf interaction and so do the MP18 SC. Our fairways are bermuda. Hitting into the grain can be a chore, but these irons just cut right through that thick grass easily, but don't dig. Very very well done Mizuno. I haven't played on firm conditions yet, but I'd imagine these would do well there as well. Spin seems to be just what I'd expect as well. I don't have a trackman, just my naked eyes. Crossfield and others have spin info, if you want to look for that.

I have the 64s and love them. Would like to hear more regarding performance of the 18sc vs the 64s. Distance, trajectory, accuracy, etc. Might be something I switch to in a few months.

I'm also a Mizuno fan.

My other set of irons were the 716 CB. I attended a Titleist demo a week or so ago. You can read about that here: http://www.golfwrx.c...oday-718-irons/

so ur down to one set of clubs..... for how long :cheesy:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I'm also a Mizuno fan.

I have the 64s and love them. Would like to hear more regarding performance of the 18sc vs the 64s. Distance, trajectory, accuracy, etc. Might be something I switch to in a few months.

i'll get on the course today and will give more insight later...

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Great write up. I can't imagine an iron sounding better than an MP64 but I understand your description and I guess I'm gonna have to hit these to experience this butter lettuce

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

Just returning from Bandon. Bought a combo set of these irons and the first course I tried them on was Bandon Dunes. Played all 4 courses. The courses and the irons were outstanding. Adjustment period was zero. Hit a lot of great shots with them and played well. Turf interaction on Bandon's tight-ish lies was excellent.

Got a lot of compliments on them. Playing SC and MMC with one Fli-Hi. Not difficult to hit at all. Really like the sole, which is something I always focus on.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I like the review. I was in between the C tapers and C taper lites at my fitting. My fitter couldn't really differentiate from the two in my performance comparison with flexes and weights but, I just went with the regular C-tapers as they worked for me better and I was familiar with them and their kick points.

I agree that the adjustment period was zero. The finish is amazing. The cut through the grass, I can't speak about too too much because I normally take almost no divot but, I'm working on that and changing my swing.

I like the review. I was in between the C tapers and C taper lites at my fitting. My fitter couldn't really differentiate from the two in my performance comparison with flexes and weights but, I just went with the regular C-tapers as they worked for me better and I was familiar with them and their kick points.

I agree that the adjustment period was zero. The finish is amazing. The cut through the grass, I can't speak about too too much because I normally take almost no divot but, I'm working on that and changing my swing.

That is not necessarily a bad thing... some of the best players in PGA History were "Pickers" whom barely took/take a divot (Nicklaus,Watson, Stricker, Pavin,etc.)

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

update: I put my grips on (CP2 Pro with one extra wrap) and played today with the SC. My swing is a little janky right now thanks to some reason swing changes, but i still managed to hit a few good shots. I love the higher flight of the c taper lite. They are a little higher than the regular c taper, but they don't balloon. I really like this shaft. I'm battling some elbow pain lately as well and these didn't seem to aggravate it like my previous s300.

I hit these irons from fairway, light rough, and some nasty bermuda rough. They did exceptionally well. I definitely think they are more forgiving than the mp64.

Just FYI... My buddy plays jpx900 tours. The tours are slight smaller than these. I prefer the slightly more square topline on these. It really frames the ball well.

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

. . . I really like this shaft. I'm battling some elbow pain lately as well and these didn't seem to aggravate it like my previous s300. . . .

This is something I'm battling as well. Like "tennis elbow". Looking at shafts that can help with this a little without losing the control I want. When I go for a Mizuno MP-18 fitting, I hope to get to try out as many shafts as possible. Might be time for me to consider the 'recoil'

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I just got my split set of MP 18 SC, 4-6, Blade 7-PW. I’ve taken them to the range and they seem effortless to get a great strike. My miss is on the toe, but still maintains distance and accuracy.

I am also using C Taper Lite. Mizzy and KBS are tough to beat together, in my opinion.

I hit several shafts DG AMT, KBS Tour, Project X LZ and Nippon Modus. My dispersion rate was by far the best with C Taper Lites.

played 27 with them today... Yep, these are keepers! They are much more forgiving that originally thought. If you are looking at AP2 or similar clubs, try the SC!

C Taper lite hits it higher than my s300 AMT and regular C taper. I'm loving hitting my 4 iron again. I think I may have picked up about 5 yards...probably due to lighter shaft and better trajectory. I actually got that 4 iron to stop easily.

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

. . . I really like this shaft. I'm battling some elbow pain lately as well and these didn't seem to aggravate it like my previous s300. . . .

This is something I'm battling as well. Like "tennis elbow". Looking at shafts that can help with this a little without losing the control I want. When I go for a Mizuno MP-18 fitting, I hope to get to try out as many shafts as possible. Might be time for me to consider the 'recoil'

Recoils or Nippons. I find Nippon shafts seem to dampen vibrations, at least for me. ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Recoils or Nippons. I find Nippon shafts seem to dampen vibrations, at least for me. ;)

Suggestions of particular shafts in these brands?

Driver SS is about 107-108, and I hit a 7-iron (35º) around 170-175 yds (carry between 165-170 yds, @ 3200 ft above sea level)

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

I hate these threads so much. My poor wallet. Maybe I will just buy one to look at. Thanks for the info and review. I appreciate it. Jerk.... :russian_roulette:

I'm right there with you. I'm in the market for a new set of clubs and these posts are not helping; everyone has great things to say about the new Titleist 718 and Mizuno MP18 lines.

I tested the MB, SC, and Fli-Hi in the MP18 line last week and my fiance had to basically wipe the drool off my face and she made me promise I wouldn't leave her for those clubs. And also promise I wouldn't ruin our vacation fund...

I'm also a Mizuno fan.

i'll get on the course today and will give more insight later...

Any thoughts?

Suggestions of particular shafts in these brands?

Driver SS is about 107-108, and I hit a 7-iron (35º) around 170-175 yds (carry between 165-170 yds, @ 3200 ft above sea level)

Nippon Modus 105/120/130, Recoil 110, Steel Fibre 110. Go with a 'thicker' grip might help too. CP2 or 2G Tours as examples.

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I'd be interested to know how the turf interaction compares with the V-Sole on the Srixon 745/765 series. I haven't tried the SC yet, but have yet to try anything better than the Srixons when it comes to getting through the turf.

Well the Srixon's are going to win that battle EVERY time, that being said I am "psycho" about the sole/leading edge design as I have elbow issues and can't have an iron that digs. I saw the new MP 18 line up last week and the SC & MMC look to be a non issue for me. I am on the D/L and can't hit balls right now but I look forward to trying them.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Nippon Modus 105/120/130, Recoil 110, Steel Fibre 110. Go with a 'thicker' grip might help too. CP2 or 2G Tours as examples.

Understood. I just picked up a set of King CB/MB's with 110 recoils, as a backup. I should take them out and compare them to the c-tapers. Thanks. I already like the MCC Plus 4's, perhaps I'll look into the grips you've listed.

I tested the MP18 SC with Project X 6.5's. Totally inappropriate shaft for me but I couldn't believe how well I was hitting it and how sweet it was feeling. I'm in the same boat with many posters that I'm not in any kind of position to pull the trigger but this series is definitely going in my future purchase list.

I just got my split set of MP 18 SC, 4-6, Blade 7-PW. I’ve taken them to the range and they seem effortless to get a great strike. My miss is on the toe, but still maintains distance and accuracy.

I am also using C Taper Lite. Mizzy and KBS are tough to beat together, in my opinion.

I hit several shafts DG AMT, KBS Tour, Project X LZ and Nippon Modus. My dispersion rate was by far the best with C Taper Lites.

I just tried the mizuno shaft analyzer, and these were some of the top shafts they recommended. I currently play project x 6.0s. I'll be interested to try the c taper lites in x flex.

another 9 hole round today... missed 2 greens and shot even par. I love these shafts! I'm hitting the 4 iron on such a great trajectory. I hit a 6 iron that stopped about 3 inches from the ball mark. Really glad I got the lite shafts....

It's amazing how comfortable I've gotten with these irons in such a short period. They just do what they do. You almost forget you have new irons in play...

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter