MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

Comments

• 2moreTerps2moreTerps Members Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    FAbb wrote:

That's cool, DC. I would've liked to see that.

On the other hand, it's a shame that the USGA has taken all the advancements in agronomy and the associated tech that have been developed over the years and uses them for evil, so to speak. They take these things that can be used to make golf courses cheaper and easier to sustain, twist them into ways to push golf courses to ridiculous limits, and then flaunt it to the entire world like it's some sort of ideal.

You know, ole Shinny-**** probably wasn't designed to have greens equally receptive as the pavement in the parking lot, running at 13+ on the stimp.

It'd be interesting if for once, the USGA would keep their grubby paws out of the cookie jar, and just let the host venue take care of setting up the course as they normally would. I don't think Shinnecock would be any less compelling this week if the USGA had never touched the course following Coore's restoration work, and just let the maintenance team there set the course up. Let the USGA pick the pin and tee locations, and be done.

not contradicting you but they said green speeds would be 11.5 - 12 this week. i found that interesting
    city go to "speedy wash" right at the intersection of rt. 1 and 198. 20$ + 5$ tip and it's really really close to getting it detailed. i figured doing that with some regularity is better than just letting it get awful and then spending $ for a detail
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj Members Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    DC -- it's pros. Not the cub scouts. "Diamond Detail"

2More -- I've got a place in the city that does an all right job for $20.

My car is bad. Dog hair and blades of grass. Just can't really vacuum it up -- it stays in the "nap". I think you'd need to almost take a wire brush to the carpeting to get it loose and then vacuum. My exhaust tips are horrible.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Sauce : tour
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Bobby Grace Amazing Grace

Oncore Elixir
  • FAbbFAbb Members Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    2moreTerps wrote:

FAbb wrote:

You know, ole Shinny-**** probably wasn't designed to have greens equally receptive as the pavement in the parking lot, running at 13+ on the stimp.

not contradicting you but they said green speeds would be 11.5 - 12 this week. i found that interesting

That sounds a bit more reasonable - probably right on the edge of playable and going overboard. 11.5-12 is still very fast, especially on greens with a lot of slope.
    NLU has Joe Buck on this week in case any one didn't know.

It was kind of weird. Like, he seemed to want to get an "it wasn't my fault" out there about brooks koepka's girlfriend. But, he also had to throw in stuff about how he didn't get the fox job or keep it because of his dad (OK, we get it). He says he's a 1.5 index. I actually had no idea he played, or played well. I've always thought he talked about golf on air like he was just a set-up guy and mostly wanted to let the analysts say it all.

The transcript from the Phil presser is great. I have no idea if he's joking here or not. . .

Q. Hey, Phil, what makes the 10th hole so tough here? How do you play it? Where does it rank in terms of toughness of all 18 here?

PHIL MICKELSON: It's not. It's a nice 3 wood down the hill, a sand wedge onto the green, and I'm going to one-putt it three out of four days. It's not hard at all.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
  • t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    eagle1997 wrote:

last call for the summer solstice event. 1 spot left - we currently have 31 players. PM me your email and i'll send you the invite.

registration closes tomorrow evening.

would be awesome if Terphack or one of our other forum regulars could make it!

THE HIVE SUMMER SOLSTICE EVENT

When:

Thursday, June 21, with tee times beginning at 6:50 am

Where:

Little Bennett Golf Course

25900 Prescott Rd.

Clarksburg, MD 20871

Format:

Multiple Round Individual Best Ball Stroke Play. Must play 6 holes each from Blue/White/Gold tees per round (your choice). Play as many rounds as you can/want. Can switch which holes you play from different tees in each round, but never more than 6 from each set of tees. Prizes for 4 CTPs, gross and net. A detailed Rules Sheet will be sent to all participants.

You are not required to play more than 18 holes, tho that is obviously to your benefit.

In there like swimwear. Thanks for the reminder post.
    Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - TBD
    TBD
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.11 - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10 - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,095 mod
    If the greens are running a 12 or 12+ some of those greens will be borederline unputtable. Looking at that green chart of 18 there were almost no spots with less than a 3% slope.

I did like reading that they've added an intermediate cut on 7 above the bunker so in theory shots that are rolling off wont roll all the way in.
    M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis
    If anyone is interested, there's a transcript where they have Nick Price, Mike Davis, Wayne MOrrison and others talking about the architecture of Shiny.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=140990

Wayne Morrison is the biggest "William Flynn" worshipper in America. He's the one who wrote the piece at Golf Club Atlas about my brother-in-law's course.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
  • Buckets2Buckets2 Members Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    So what do we think the winning number will be? -4? Closer to par?
  • HighBoomingDrawsHighBoomingDraws Flagnostic All 2019 Members Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    One and done for US Open? I’ve had DJ pegged for this pick since forever. Ain’t changing that now.

Also this...

TaylorMade M6 9* W/ Tensei Blue 60 X-Stiff
    TaylorMade M4 3W 15*
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro Hybrid 20*
    Callaway Apex Pro PX 6.0 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 50*/54*/60*
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    Srixon Z-Star XV

NLU has Joe Buck on this week in case any one didn't know.

It was kind of weird. Like, he seemed to want to get an "it wasn't my fault" out there about brooks koepka's girlfriend. But, he also had to throw in stuff about how he didn't get the fox job or keep it because of his dad (OK, we get it). He says he's a 1.5 index. I actually had no idea he played, or played well. I've always thought he talked about golf on air like he was just a set-up guy and mostly wanted to let the analysts say it all.

The transcript from the Phil presser is great. I have no idea if he's joking here or not. . .

Q. Hey, Phil, what makes the 10th hole so tough here? How do you play it? Where does it rank in terms of toughness of all 18 here?

PHIL MICKELSON: It's not. It's a nice 3 wood down the hill, a sand wedge onto the green, and I'm going to one-putt it three out of four days. It's not hard at all.

i watched the press conference. they ask him some really annoying questions. he has like 5 different choices of how to respond and sometimes "very mild snark but pleasant humor" is the tact he takes

someone (british i believe) asked him if he felt like he was an overachiever, an underachiever, or if he had achieved properly in his career. you know what's wrong with that question? the answer you're going to get. literally no one is ever giving any interesting response to that question. awful awful question. like you'll get "i've won five majors i think that's pretty good" or "my career is still ongoing" (what phil said) or "that's an awful question were you dropped on your head as a baby". maybe it's just a question to goad someone.
    They asked Nick Price in that article. He thought negative numbers but depended largely on conditions. I have a hard time imagining a course that these guys don't go under on these days.

The one thing I saw was this was 7400 yards and par 70. That's a tough par.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
  • eagle1997eagle1997 Members Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    t4t3r wrote:

eagle1997 wrote:

The Summer Solstice

event is now full.

an email with tournament details and tee times forthcoming.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,095 mod

They asked Nick Price in that article. He thought negative numbers but depended largely on conditions. I have a hard time imagining a course that these guys don't go under on these days.

The one thing I saw was this was 7400 yards and par 70. That's a tough par.

Very tough.

I took Justin Rose this week, had a good last couple of events and took some time off. Just had to pick someone outside of the usual 3 or 4 top picks.
    M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis
  • davechendavechen THDC Members Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    bayrat88 wrote:

Dave Chen - will you be at the Solstice? I have several lefty woods in regular flex to pass along. I know you were looking for clubs for your daughter a little while ago.

Yup, I'll be there. Yes, any regular flex lefty woods would be greatly appreciated!

I'll take seconds please. My 4 yr old is a lefty

I've got one, maybe two lefty kids sets in my garage that my daughter has outgrown. You're welcome to them if you'd like. Will you be at Little Bennett for the Solstice?
  • SullGolfSullGolf Members Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought there'd be such a wide-spread second-hand market for childrens lefty golf clubs.
    2moreTerps wrote:

someone (british i believe) asked Phil if he felt like he was an overachiever, an underachiever, or if he had achieved properly in his career... maybe it's just a question to goad someone.

Golf Talk Tuesday: how would you answer this question^^? (not as Phil, as yourself)

i definitely feel like i have overachieved in golf.

1. my bucket list low score is my primary measuring stick. as the years go by, it seems more and more of a mystery how i got that far under par that one time.

2. managed to figure out my on-course demeanor -for the most part!- which was a huge personal victory.

3. started a local amateur golf tour 11 years ago. still ongoing.

4. with a ton of help, started a type 3 usga club borne out of this thread. middle of year 2.

5. got people to try golferaids. they didn't die. success!

6. capitol cup record: 4-1. undefeated in individual CC match play.

7. never lost a 7s event (been on both Team Short & Team Tall).

8. won a few individual and two person team events. got Fabb to make and sign a limited edition chode sleeve. also, won many, many signed dollars from c.free, sully and DC.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • Fort11Fort11 Members Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Hail to the lefties! I took my old irons and wedges to a local golf shop to be consigned. I should have asked here first to see if anyone was interested. They are TM R7s stiff flex and vokey wedges (56 & 60). All are extended .5”, so not sure if they would work for youngsters.
  • SullGolfSullGolf Members Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't help but notice that Eagle is heavily caveating his undefeated singles record by now limiting it to just the 7s and old Capitol Cup. I wonder what could have happened at another Hive event this year that would cause him to caveat it like that.

I'm not a big believer in over/under achievement in golf. With some exceptions (namely health-related ones), people achieve exactly what they deserve based on their ability and work ethic. I could say I have underachieved because I believe I have more potential ability than I play to now, but that ignores the (lack of) work I put it to reaching that potential.
  • Fort11Fort11 Members Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Should have mentioned that the clubs haven’t been sold, so if anyone is interested just let me know.
    SullGolf wrote:

I never thought there'd be such a wide-spread second-hand market for childrens lefty golf clubs.
    That's your "in" Sully.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
    I'm going to go with "Over Achieved" in golf.

I played as a kid, but I was never very good. Played about 5 times a year, if that, for about 20 years, then got serious about the game. I don't think you'll find a whole bunch of "past their prime" guys really getting down to a low-single level.

OTOH, I personally feel like I'm in a constant state of under-achieving. That's what keeps me going. I really want to play a bogey free round of golf. I want to play a bogey free round of golf and shoot par more than I want to shoot under par with 1 bogey.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
  • C. FreemanC. Freeman Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eagle1997 wrote:

2moreTerps wrote:

someone (british i believe) asked Phil if he felt like he was an overachiever, an underachiever, or if he had achieved properly in his career... maybe it's just a question to goad someone.

Golf Talk Tuesday: how would you answer this question^^? (not as Phil, as yourself)

i definitely feel like i have overachieved in golf.

1. my bucket list low score is my primary measuring stick. as the years go by, it seems more and more of a mystery how i got that far under par that one time.

2. managed to figure out my on-course demeanor -for the most part!- which was a huge personal victory.

3. started a local amateur golf tour 11 years ago. still ongoing.

4. with a ton of help, started a type 3 usga club borne out of this thread. middle of year 2.

5. got people to try golferaids. they didn't die. success!

6. capitol cup record: 4-1. undefeated in individual CC match play.

7. never lost a 7s event (been on both Team Short & Team Tall).

8. won a few individual and two person team events. got Fabb to make and sign a limited edition chode sleeve. also, won many, many signed dollars from c.free, sully and DC.

You figured out your on course demeanor was d!ckish?
  • TerphackTerphack Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eagle1997 wrote:

t4t3r wrote:

eagle1997 wrote:

The Summer Solstice

event is now full.

an email with tournament details and tee times forthcoming.

t4t3r beat me in. Let me know if anyone drops out
    GTT : I agree with Sully that we've all gotten what we put in, but that sort of makes for a boring non-answer.

Going purely on potential, I'll go with slightly underachieved in terms of reaching mine.

I was fortunate to pick up the game when I did, and have the resources I did. I grew up in a middle-class family. We had money for equipment, and some tournaments. They could've footed the bill for me to play a decent amount, but I ended up working at golf courses to earn free golf privileges. The course wasn't great, but it allowed me to play and practice way more than I could've otherwise. I certainly don't think it would've really made a difference if I learned the game where I did, or was a country club kid.

I had a few lessons along the way as well. A couple when I started, and then maybe 1 or 2 a year after that. Do I think I could've done more with unlimited access to a coach? Yes.

I also chose my education over golf. I wanted to go to a major, reputable university to get an engineering degree. That meant forgoing the chance to play golf in college, on a team or at all really. I basically didn't play for those 4 years, save for the summers. I probably could've gone to some small school and played golf. No doubt I'd have gotten better with 4 more years of life where my primary focus was on improving as a golfer.

I played probably once a week, and practiced another 1-2 when I graduated, but never more than that. By 25, my wife and I had our first child.

If I had more coaching, and took a more golf-centric path over those years, I feel like I'd be a better golfer today. I could probably be a member somewhere not overly loaded with talent competing for club champs, qualifiying for some of the bigger MD Am events. Doubt I'd ever have gotten much better than that.

All that said, I wouldn't go back and change anything about what I've done, or the choices I've made. Golf will always be an important part of my life and who I am, but it's never going to come close to family. In terms of what it's given me, I'd be hard pressed to say golf has been under-achieving for me. It's given me so many memorable life experiences, friendships, and overall mental health benefits.
    C. Freeman wrote:

You figured out your on course demeanor was d!ckish?

rubbing my hands together in glee as you signed ANOTHER dollar for me?

giphy.gif

... yes, that would qualify as slightly d!ckish.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1

Any rap/hip-hop fans in here? Kanye and Kid Cudi just came out with a joint EP/Mixtape, "Kids See Ghosts." I'm not quite sure if this is a generational album or pure hot garbage, but I can't stop listening...

Big fan of early Cudi and 'ye stuff. I've listened to "Kids See Ghosts" probably a half dozen times by now. I like it. It's got more "A Kid Named Cudi" and "Man on the Moon" vibe to it than his subsequent stuff. Kanye is also a lot better on it than newer stuff of his I've heard.
    SullGolf wrote:

I can't help but notice that Eagle is heavily caveating his undefeated singles record by now limiting it to just the 7s and old Capitol Cup. I wonder what could have happened at another Hive event this year that would cause him to caveat it like that.

what the F is "caveating?"

lol
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
    if the US Open is a runaway, particularly with a boring **** like martin kaymer, i'm gonna be so mad. i was so excited for pinehurst and he ruined it.

i'm an overachiever in golf
This discussion has been closed.