We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

Comments

• SullGolfSullGolf  9064WRX Points: 1,190Members Posts: 9,064
    I don't know why I balk at the $400 practice option at Olney so much. It's a great facility. If I lived 5 minutes from Olney and 15 from Blue Mash, I'd think about buying the Olney membership and save the drive time. If I lived 5 minutes from each, I would go to Blue Mash and save $400.

For anyone who lives close or doesn't mind the travel, Little Bennet has a big grass range and a membership where you get unlimited balls for ~$35/month. And they don't charge you for winter months. I had it for awhile, but eventually got rid of it because I didn't get out there often enough to be worthwhile.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • eagle1997eagle1997  18274WRX Points: 866Members Posts: 18,274
    willboyrd wrote:

Will = middle name is William

Boyrd = loved Chef Boyardee at the time

Cemented: We’re gonna have a good time at the Solstice.

I’m gonna need at least one “Uh oh! Spaghettios!” after a poor tee shot.

Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight  12380WRX Points: 1,583Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,380
    SullGolf wrote:

People who take 4:40 to play a weekday round with no one in front of them should not be allowed to play at that time.

Good call skipping 16/17 though, we might still be there waiting to finish.

Still a good time at NW yesterday with Sully and Fabb. Really good to see Fabb on the mend and back on the course.

The rough was probably the thickest/most brutal I've ever seen it at NW. If you were in it, there was no way you were getting a long iron on it, you were probably just punching something out. I think we lost a couple balls solely because of how thick the rough was. Although it definitely kept our baseball match close with the high scores - I have no idea how the back finished but Fabb won the front 29-28-24.
    Posted:
    M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis
  • FAbbFAbb  16357WRX Points: 1,496Members Posts: 16,357
    Real nice getting out for a test drive with Sully and DC yesterday. We had the misfortune of going out with two groups ahead of us that slowed the entire course to a halt.

Unfortunately had to skip a couple holes there at the end, and miss the hang after. Wife is sick and came down with a fever, so I had to get home to take care of everybody.

Reports of Sully's long game coming on are true. Making some real nice cuts at the ball. Driving was 1000000x better than the last time I saw him.

DC is always a pleasure to play with. I haven't played with him in so long. He developed this sweet buttery cut that I had no idea about.

We had a NW rando with us for the front 9. The more we overanalyzed him, the more quirky he seemed. In reality, a normal guy. He did slam his cart into reverse like 40ft away from me right at the top of my swing once.

I stink right now. Can't really get myself to commit to staying down through my shots consistently yet. Too tentative, especially since I still don't feel right yet. Led to a few straight up tops, and low face contact many other times. Hopefully I'll hold together, and this is the start of me getting back out more regularly again.
    Posted:
  • HighBoomingDrawsHighBoomingDraws Flagnostic All 2019 MoCo, MD 1170WRX Points: 593Members Posts: 1,170
    Go_Time wrote:

i don't understand these membership categories at Olney Golf Park;

Grass Tee Membership $200 Unlimited Grass Tee Use

What exactly does that get you?

When you purchase a Super Saver Membership you will receive a membership card with the specified credit preloaded (including discount) so you can go straight to the ball machine without having to stop in the pro shop.

so what's unlimited then?

They used to charge $10 for a bucket on a mat and $20 for a bucket on the grass. I'm assuming that $200 allows you to just pay for the balls, not the premium to hit off grass.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M4 D-Type 10.5* W/ Tensei Blue 60 X-Stiff
    TaylorMade M4 3W 15*
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro Hybrid 20*
    Callaway Apex Pro PX 6.0 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 50*/54*/60*
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    Ball - Cheap Urethane
  • HighBoomingDrawsHighBoomingDraws Flagnostic All 2019 MoCo, MD 1170WRX Points: 593Members Posts: 1,170
    Ah slow play at NW, I know it well. It's always somewhat of a show there on nice afternoons during the week. The rough has been very penal there most of the spring. I follow the turf guy there (
    On -, @northwestturf on Twitter) and he's documented how much of a struggle it's been to even keep the course open with all the rain. Are the greens even fully filled in yet? I've been going to Hampshire Greens more this spring because it's just in better shape.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M4 3W 15*
    Titleist SM7 50*/54*/60*
    Ball - Cheap Urethane

Advertisement
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj  16114WRX Points: 2,773Members Posts: 16,114
    Hey HBD, more insta please.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 MAX 10.5º XTORSION Copper 60
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Strong torso
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Ping Scottsdale Wolverine
    Oncore Elixir
  • FAbbFAbb  16357WRX Points: 1,496Members Posts: 16,357
    Most of the greens were pretty good. On the slow side. A few were still bumpy, and not really filled in. You can see they verticut some time back, and punched with the thin tines fairly recently. It's really amazing the condition they keep that place in year after year with all the play it gets.
    Posted:
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight  12380WRX Points: 1,583Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,380
    FAbb wrote:

Most of the greens were pretty good. On the slow side. A few were still bumpy, and not really filled in. You can see they verticut some time back, and punched with the thin tines fairly recently. It's really amazing the condition they keep that place in year after year with all the play it gets.

Yeah the condition of the greens definitely went way down on 14-15. Looked like maybe they had gotten some flooding or something down there bc it was noticeably worse than the front nine - very bumpy/splotchy.

WHICH BY THE WAY WAS THE OLD FRONT NINE NOT THE NEW FRONT NINE. SO CONFUSING.

Seriously every other time I go to NW I'm teeing off on a different "first tee".
    Posted:
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    Had the most confusing effing conversation on the putting green as FAbb and DC tried to tell me where we were teeing off.

-Did you know they switched the 9s here?

-Ya, they did that earlier this year. I think it's great. Eagle told me it really improved pace of play here.

-No, they switched the 9s again.

-I KNOW

-No, since then they switched again

-WHAT

-We're teeing off of the first hole

-OF COURSE THATS WHERE YOU TEE OFF

-NO THE OLD FIRST HOLE

-YOU MEAN NEW NUMBER TEN?

-WHAT WAS NUMBER TEN LAST MONTH IS THE HOLE WE ARE NOW TEEING OFF OF NOW AS OUR FIRST HOLE

I had to ask the starter to figure out what the heck was going on. Apparently they just had everyone teeing off of 10, the old 1. They didn't switch the 9s again, but they did have everyone playing them the old way, which is actually different from when it was first designed.

Got it?
    Posted:
    Did they switch it again?!?!? The latest switch has caused the short uphill par 4 with the big tree on the right side and stream in front of the blues to become hole 9. I know of no further "switches". They do send golfers off on 10 a lot for some reason though. Highly confusing.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M4 3W 15*
    Titleist SM7 50*/54*/60*
    Ball - Cheap Urethane

Advertisement
    They didn't switch again. They were just sending everyone off the 10th tee. FAbb and DC explained that as "switching the 9s again", leading to mass confusion on my part.
    Posted:
    It was genius. 1/2 were wide open so naturally they packed groups up to send them off the back/oldfront.
    Posted:
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj  16114WRX Points: 2,773Members Posts: 16,114
    If you're meeting DC for a round, isn't UMD an option?

I think that course blows NW out of the water. Or maybe it's much worse for Fabb/Sully.
    Posted:
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Strong torso
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Oncore Elixir

If you're meeting DC for a round, isn't UMD an option?

I think that course blows NW out of the water. Or maybe it's much worse for Fabb/Sully.

@ the same amount of time and I personally think NW is a better course. I know UMD has a lot of fans so I'm in the minority here.

But the few times I've played UMD and NW within the same time period - NW is always in 10x better shape.
    Posted:
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    Yes, conditions are UMD are typically worse. I just like the layout and holes so much better. I've come to realize through the years how differently people weigh "conditions" when they judge a course. Low for me (but I do have a limit).

Not sure who posted the link to the US Open transcripts the other day, but they're good. This was from DJ yesterday. I don't know why a guy would ask this? Is he there for lessons or something?

Q. Dustin, I was just curious, as you're actually moving through a shot, is your mind on where the ball is going, or is your mind on something in your swing?

DUSTIN JOHNSON: That's a good question because I have no idea. Hopefully, it's not really doing anything. I'm thinking about the number I want to hit it and where I want to start it, what kind of shot I want to hit. But when I'm actually hitting it, I'm not really thinking about anything. Never really thought about it, though.

THE MODERATOR: Don't start.

DUSTIN JOHNSON: I'm not going to.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_event.php?category=4&date=2018-6-12&title=U.S.+OPEN+CHAMPIONSHIP+2018
    Posted:
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Strong torso
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Oncore Elixir

Advertisement
    Fried Egg also claims DJ hit more than 7i only one time ALL year on par 4's during ALL his rounds. That's insane.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M4 3W 15*
    Titleist SM7 50*/54*/60*
    Ball - Cheap Urethane
  • misplacedtexan83misplacedtexan83  15594WRX Points: 514Members Posts: 15,594
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ  *9.0 w/ UST Helium 6F4 
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ *15 w/ UST VTS 70 S
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ *18 w/ UST VTS 70 S
    Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
    Callaway Tactical Wedges 50S & 54S & 58W w/ True Temper S200
    Tyson Lamb Customed Allendale
    #lookatthebaby #teamcallaway
  • Buckets2Buckets2  2565WRX Points: 287Members Posts: 2,565
    Going to play Waverly Woods tomorrow or Blue Mash either around 0700....then maybe again with Tex in the afternoon. Who wants in for the AM? Haven't bought yet so let me know.
    Posted:
  • davechendavechen THDC  2028WRX Points: 496Members Posts: 2,028
    Taking my kids out to Evergreen CC today. They're doing the Drive, Chip and Putt. Because of our schedule we couldn't do it anywhere closer.
    Posted:
    Go_Time wrote:
    Going to play Waverly Woods tomorrow or Blue Mash either around 0700....then I’m most definitely playing with Tex in the afternoon. Who wants in for the AM? Haven't bought yet so let me know.

Fix this for you ..speaking of this..

Need one LP (Lake presidential) 236

Everyone that comes into my 2nd job, says it is in great shape. We shall see.
    Posted:

Advertisement

Everyone that comes into my 2nd job, says it is in great shape. We shall see.

GTFO6.jpg
    Posted:
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
  • bayrat88bayrat88  466WRX Points: 138Members Posts: 466
    Anyone playing this afternoon? My plan to Mattaponi on my way to Richmond fell through as they have an outing this afternoon.
    Posted:
    Can you drive a cart onto the grass yet at LP?
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M4 3W 15*
    Titleist SM7 50*/54*/60*
    Ball - Cheap Urethane
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DC 2021WRX Points: 1,144Members Posts: 2,021
    davechen wrote:

Taking my kids out to Evergreen CC today. They're doing the Drive, Chip and Putt. Because of our schedule we couldn't do it anywhere closer.

Was able to play there once. Nice course! Good luck to the chillrens!
    Posted:
    Hive Tour Titles: 2
    Can you drive a cart onto the grass yet at LP?

They lifted it in April ..

Interested to see if it’s what everyone says it is.

People switched their leagues from Oak Creek to LP — has to be better than it was.

Oak Creek is always in good shape
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DC 2021WRX Points: 1,144Members Posts: 2,021
    I played a scramble back in 2007ish at Lake Presidential and that place was by far the nicest course I had ever played on. It was in pristine condition like a PGA tour stop. Then that place went to $#!+. Hope they get it back to being top notch again. I'd like to go back so I'm anxious to hear how the conditions are.
    Posted:
    Hive Tour Titles: 2
    Last time I was talked into playing LP...

Tex: No seriously, I heard LP is in great shape.

Me: No. It was hot garbage last time I played.

Tex: Seriously, it will be fine.

Me: Eh, OK.

(sees the way the tee boxes and fairways look)

Me: F you Tex, what a waste of...

(watches MTN launch his driver and get it stuck in a tree on the first tee)

Me: Nevermind, awesome day!!
    Posted:
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    bayrat88 wrote:

Anyone playing this afternoon? My plan to Mattaponi on my way to Richmond fell through as they have an outing this afternoon.
    I was going to practice today, but I'll go out at Turf if you want. Let me know. Unless you want to hit LP with Tex. I don't care. Like I said, I was going to practice.

Also -- that offer is extended to 2 more people, if Bay wants to play.

I don't know exactly when yet. My plan is to get home around 2 day, walk the dog (30 minutes?) then drive to the course (30 minutes). For an eta of 3. Any of those times could be bumped 10 minutes in one direction or the other.
    Posted:
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Strong torso
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Oncore Elixir

Advertisement
  • Buckets2Buckets2  2565WRX Points: 287Members Posts: 2,565
    dcmidnight wrote:

Last time I was talked into playing LP...

Tex: No seriously, I heard LP is in great shape.

Me: No. It was hot garbage last time I played.

Tex: Seriously, it will be fine.

Me: Eh, OK.

(sees the way the tee boxes and fairways look)

Me: F you Tex, what a waste of...

(watches MTN launch his driver and get it stuck in a tree on the first tee)

Me: Nevermind, awesome day!!

I've been seeing commercials for LP on tv for the first time...they specifically mention good conditions so I guess we'll see.
    Posted:
This discussion has been closed.