MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

Comments

• SullGolfSullGolf Members Posts: 8,831 ✭✭
    I got an email from the fundraising director for my alma mater, "personally inviting" me to donate money to them. I'm trying to decide if I want to be a big man and ignore it, or be myself and reply with snark.
  • Gmen1204Gmen1204 Members Posts: 1,431 ✭✭
  • Johnny TJohnny T Wait for me guys! Members Posts: 3,953 ✭✭
    SullGolf wrote:

CostCo sells Blue Mash gift cards? That's odd. Not bad odd. Just odd odd. Would not have expected it.

Blue Mash does some odd things though. You know those signs on the side of the highway that list attractions? You know, gas station 0.5 miles left, McDonalds 1 mile right. Blue Mash is on one of those signs at 495 & Connecticut. It's a solid 30 minute drive away from there. I've never seen a highway sign show something so far away.

Isn't that the worst? You take an exit thinking "oh **** yeah, Chick-Fil-A!" only to find out it's 6 miles off the interstate. Nothing ruins a large #1 meal with milkshake like adding 20 minutes to your trip.

/rant
    Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
    Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
    Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-PW - Fujikura Pro 115
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50/54/58 - Fujikura Pro 115/DG 115
    Edel E-3 Torque Balanced
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DCMembers Posts: 1,798 ✭✭
    Happy US Open Day!
    Hive Tour Titles: 2
  • willboyrdwillboyrd Members Posts: 1,052 ✭✭
    So do I DVR the coverage today and avoid social media and WRX all day to go in fresh this evening or do I just check scores as normal and speed watch Tigers group later?
    G410 12* Tensei Pro Orange 60S
    Epic Flash 15* 3w Even Flow Green 60S
    Epic Flash SZ 18* 5w Tensei Blue 70S
    Rogue 21* 4h Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Rogue Pro 5-P Nippon Modus 120 Stiff
    Vokey SM7 50F, 54F, 58D Nippon Modus 120 Stiff
    Fastback 2 33'' Ping Blackout Grip

• endlesswintercoendlesswinterco Members Posts: 1,805 ✭✭
    So was up in NJ for work Tuesday and yesterday, brought the sticks. Stopped by a new golf course, Skyway Golf Course, in Jersey City, NJ, Hudson County. Its the only public golf course in the county (Liberty National is right around the corner from it). 9 hole course, but legit nine, 3 3s, 3 4s, 3 5s, played 3200 from the tips. Links course in every sense, alot of wind, on the water, absolutely amazing course. best 9 hole course ive ever played, and wish it was longer. Greens were perfect, rough was in great shape, great layout, views, everything. Views of NYC at one end, Newark (craphole) on the other. The pro used to work at Timbers, left 4-5 years ago for this course, small world. He gave me in county rate, $21, and free bucket to warm up after my 4 hour drive. No range, hitting into a cage, only downside. Almost everyone was walking, they get a TON of rounds being the only public around. Amazing feel, friendly people, would recommend everyone to play if your ever in the area.
  • HighBoomingDrawsHighBoomingDraws Flagnostic All 2019 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭
    I feel like they’ve been doing that a lot with the blue tees at NW this year. I think it has more to do with the resodding of certain tee boxes than anything. They basically play at 7000 yards.
    TaylorMade M6 9* W/ Tensei Blue 60 X-Stiff
    TaylorMade M4 3W 15*
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro Hybrid 20*
    Callaway Apex Pro PX 6.0 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 50*/54*/60*
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    Srixon Z-Star XV
  • Buckets2Buckets2 Members Posts: 2,432 ✭✭
    Can a round with holes played out of order be a legal handicap round? Wondering if I can go around ground crew
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,994 mod

I feel like they’ve been doing that a lot with the blue tees at NW this year. I think it has more to do with the resodding of certain tee boxes than anything. They basically play at 7000 yards.

It felt it. Regardless of what the card says, when I looked at my watch the first three holes were all over 400 yards. 2(11) was playing 450+ and 3 (12) was 420.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Toulon Indy 35" / Chromesoft Truvis
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj Members Posts: 15,502 ✭✭
    Go_Time wrote:

Can a round with holes played out of order be a legal handicap round? Wondering if I can go around ground crew
    I think so.

You can also post incomplete rounds as 18 holers as long as you get 13 in.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Sauce : tour
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-PW

Mizuno MX-300 GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Bobby Grace Amazing Grace

Oncore Elixir
  • OcgolfrickOcgolfrick Members Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    USGA with the multichannel view. Nice!

http://www.usopen.com/watch/live.html

Added bonus: Right now Thread Favorite Bubba Watson is on.
    Hive Tour Titles: 0
    Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
    Suck it, Ceejay.
  • 2moreTerps2moreTerps Members Posts: 1,504 ✭✭
    course is killing folks early. and i think the morning wave will be easier.
    2moreTerps wrote:

course is killing folks early. and i think the morning wave will be easier.

Winds forecaster at 18-25 with higher gusts this afternoon through tomorrow morning. So the guys that drew the PM/AM tee times on Th/Fri this time around seem to be on the short end.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    StixBmore wrote:

Hello, gentleman. How's things in MD/VA? Tryin to get settled here in South Beach. Clubs and furniture arrive tomorrow. Miami Beach Golf Club is within walking distance of our apartment, and we are considering joining. It's semi-private so memebership is affordable. Going to try and do a preview day after clubs arrive and check it out.

If any of you are ever in the Miami area, send me a note and we'll play a round.

Couldn't be more jealous of the weather down there. We'll be back down in the Keys the week of Thanksgiving but wont be toting the clubs.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    Sully -- if you think it would change the world, go with snark. I'm not a fan of "charitable" donations to universities, particularly well-endowed ones. John Mulaney has a funny bit about that in his recent special. He's like, "we already completed our transaction. I gave you 120 thousand dollars. You gave me education. We're done."

Played with BayRat yesterday. I didn't check the clock, but it had to be a sub-3 hour round. Unbelievable after playing dry courses last week. . .first hole, bae hits D right down the middle and it comes back a foot. Basically like that all day. There are parts of that course that are like swamps. Wet HILLSIDES!

We both generally played all right, but just blew up like chumps 2 or 3 times Each. I had a 4 putt. I made double on 1 from the middle of the FW from 90 yards (wedge contact. I still deal with this, especially early in rounds). Both had a lost ball. Bae was 1 up, then ping-ponged the 16th & 17th greens, then I stuffed one on 18.

OTOH, bae was inside 15 feet on about 10 greens. 13 was playing 200 to a way back right pin and I hit a 4 iron to about 6 feet only to have Bae stick one to about 8. Two high level shots. I sank.. I played the par 3's in -1, which should translate to a good round out there, but 3 doubles has a way of negating that.

Post round we played "pull back" on the putting green. I think I 5-putted the first, bae 5-putted the second. Then, I made a bomb and he 6-putted and it was round management from that point.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid

Mizuno MX-300 GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
    I think they have the bunkers miked at Shiny.

Or at least the one that mickelson was just in.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid

Mizuno MX-300 GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
  • HighBoomingDrawsHighBoomingDraws Flagnostic All 2019 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭
    How is everyone watching this? US Open app?
    TaylorMade M6 9* W/ Tensei Blue 60 X-Stiff
    TaylorMade M4 3W 15*
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro Hybrid 20*
    Callaway Apex Pro PX 6.0 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 50*/54*/60*
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    Srixon Z-Star XV
    Spieth 3 putts one and right now he's playing ping pong on 2 (11) and just made a 6 footer for triple. He pitched and just trickled over a green into a closely mown area, chipped and had it come back to his feet. If there's rough around that green, he just hits a little chip out of the long stuff and probably makes bogey.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid

Mizuno MX-300 GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir

How is everyone watching this? US Open app?
    If you're on a PC, see OC golf rick's link above.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid

Mizuno MX-300 GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
    Scott Stallings is on the 14th in 3 shots - makes a 9.

This is going to get old pretty quick if this keeps up - and the winds are only supposed to get worse.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    Mick (in long grass) just asked an official if there was a rule that allowed him to see his ball while he swung. Um, no?
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid

Mizuno MX-300 GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DCMembers Posts: 1,798 ✭✭
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love seeing the pros struggle a bit. I don't want to see balls move on the green because of the wind or anything like that, but it's fun seeing them put up big numbers a couple tournaments a year.
    In my 6 man snake style draft, I had the number one pick. My five are: DJ, Koepka, Mickelson, Noren, Leishman. We pick one alternate on the team in case someone WD's or get's DQ'd. My alternate is Branden Grace.
    I just saw a grainy 2004 video of Goosen putting out 18 for the win. The product on his sponsor hat? TM R7, which BayRat was just playing til recently. So I can now predict he will upgrade from his current Epic shortly before the 2032 US Open.
  • davechendavechen THDC Members Posts: 1,920 ✭✭
    I might have to mute the commentators on the Mickelson/Spieth/McIlroy channel. Can't handle whoever the guy is with the slight drawl.
    If the greens are like this now, I cant wait to see how they get after 8-10 hours of winds like this.

The winds are forecast to average @ 20 mph this afternoon with higher gusts. The guys teeing off after 2 pm probably are going to be hating life.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    The US Open mutil-channel coverage that Rick linked is pretty sweet. This is when it's nice to have multiple computers. Have the individual groups on my 27" desktop, the FSN coverage on the TV, a laptop to post on, and then another laptop and desktop in backup just in case.

4-5 years ago, I thought the Masters was the best for streaming coverage, not just for golf but for sports in general. But they haven't improved their product since then. US Open is now on top of that.
    Rors, Phil, Jordo are +14 thru 5 image/rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />
  • bayrat88bayrat88 Members Posts: 448 ✭✭
    How are the practice facilities at Laurel Hill, looking for a short game area and putting green somewhere between Richmond and south of the DC beltway to hit on my way home later. Any other courses in that area with a solid practice area similar to Blue Mash?

After my round with City yesterday it is very evident I need short game and putting practice. It was ugly.
  • C. FreemanC. Freeman Members Posts: 976
    I have to mute the television every time Holly speaks.
This discussion has been closed.