Golfing alone

Comments

• St JimmySt Jimmy Members  590WRX Points: 209Handicap: 8Posts: 590 Golden Tee

Playing alone is best when you're walking an empty course. Otherwise its usually a very long day waiting for everyone in front of you.

Posted:
    G400 LST
    G410 LST 3 Wood
    Apex 19 3 hybrid
    CB-57 3-PW
    Y Grind 51
    Miura 55
    PM Grind 60
    Scotty Golo 3
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • titleistektitleistek Members  86WRX Points: 41Handicap: 9Posts: 86 Fairways

I try to play alone when it’s twilight. I put on some head phones, get some music going and feel like I have the course to myself. I can work on different shots without worrying about others. Don’t get me wrong I love betting and talking trash and competition but there is something about being out there by yourself closing down the course.

Posted:
  • weavej1weavej1 Members  145WRX Points: 154Posts: 145 Fairways

I usually go out alone..it meets my lack of planning style...wife says I’m free this afternoon , i can pack right up. I was out yesterday w friends to celebrate a friends birthday. It stresses me out to the point i really can’t enjoy it. My cart mate plays once per year, can’t seem to park the cart anywhere that makes sense. Just stops in the middle of the fairway and leaves it....the birthday boy played one other time this year and the 4th i have no idea when the last time he played was. I worry too much about are we keeping up, watching others balls, rembering what kind of ball they are playing.( “ is this your ball?” “ i can’t remember what kind of ball i was playing ). Makes me wish i was out by myself.☹️ It is me...i know it..it isn’t them.

Posted:
    Wishon 10.5 919 driver
    Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood
    Ping rapture 21 degree
    4-9 ping zing with aerotech regular
    50;54;58 ping tour wedges
    Seemore fgp giant
    Ping moonlite bag
  • jak77jak77 Members  111WRX Points: 29Posts: 111 Fairways

I never minded playing alone. I would much rather play with buddies, but I used to play after work a lot at the local muni and just walk on. I was never paired with douchebags, and to be honest always had a pleasant experience.

Posted:
  • FilipposhkaFilipposhka Members  11WRX Points: 11Posts: 11 Bunkers

I like to enter the field after a working week.

Posted:
  • FilipposhkaFilipposhka Members  11WRX Points: 11Posts: 11 Bunkers

Especially at the end of the month

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 7ironDave7ironDave Members  35WRX Points: 24Posts: 35 Bunkers

I enjoy walking 9 alone once a week before work in the AM. I’ve been lucky and have had a few solo twilight rounds as well this summer.

I do enjoy putting a 4 some or 2 some together on the weekend , and enjoying a few bets and beers, but I think I get more pleasure out of the solo rounds.

Posted:
  • chafitachafita Members  172WRX Points: 39Posts: 172 Fairways

I like playing alone. Don't get me wrong I prefer a group of friends but there is just something about being out alone when it's wide open that is just relaxing.

Posted:
  • jonesry09jonesry09 Excelsior, MNMembers  83WRX Points: 49Handicap: 9.9Posts: 83 Fairways

Setting up a single tee time might be a good opportunity to meet some fun people. Who knows, you might get paired with someone that will turn into your regular playing partner. I don't think I could golf alone on a regular basis. I don't like myself that much haha

Posted:
  • BirdyjuiceBirdyjuice Granbury, TxMembers  76WRX Points: 65Handicap: 11Posts: 76 Fairways

Golf alone is like fishing alone. Telling someone about the great shot you hit/fish you caught just isn’t the same. Some some will say so what, but for me part of the enjoyment of the game is sharing in the celebration of a rewarding shot. If it’s just me I’d much rather just hit the range for an hour or two.

Posted:
  • ZTB481ZTB481 MGOBLUE Members  32WRX Points: 76Handicap: 10Posts: 32 Bunkers

I will book a weekday morning tee time as a single and more often than not I have been paired up with some pretty great people. I will also , from time to time, go to a local course that is a decent layout but conditions are fair/poor and play by myself. I went last week and walked and carried my bag for the first time this year and it was great.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Signman150Signman150 Members  77WRX Points: 33Posts: 77 Fairways

I like to play alone when I’m working on my game.

Posted:
  • zmosnotzmosnot Members  54WRX Points: 60Posts: 54 Bunkers

Some of the best walks are the solo ones.

Posted:
  • CousinDonutsCousinDonuts Members  54WRX Points: 32Handicap: 7Posts: 54 Bunkers

I like rolling out solo from time to time for two main reasons. The first is that at my club if I go off at the right time I can play 18 in 2.5-3 hours. You get some exercise with the fast pace (walking), get in a full round, and go on about your day. I work from home most Fridays and we have this perfect time between the old guys (early) and lunch crowd where I can do this and still leave most of my afternoon for other things.

The other way is when you're a little bottled up with others on the course, use the time to work on shots. Maybe an extra ball or two off the tee to try a new line. Or drop a ball in a fairway bunker at various distances to the green. Sometimes I'll play 2 balls with a different club off the tee. You get to hit 4 different clubs instead of 2 and figure out new ways to play the course. I like playing 9 this way as you feel like you still got in a full round with the extra practice.

Posted:
  • ZigzogZigzog Members  273WRX Points: 94Handicap: +2.8Posts: 273 Greens

I always play alone, except for competitions.

I find it hard to meet friends, as I have some behavioural issues which I try to control but am often not good company :(

My course is pretty quiet most evenings, so can pretty much have the place to myself to practice etc. which I like.

Competitions generally I don't talk to anyone, unless they talk to me. I am a pretty good player (plus index) and find that often people don't like playing with me - but nothing they can do if a competition; having said that I usually end of with the worst players as the better players avoid me.

Never mind, I am well used to it!

Posted:
  • td10td10 Fiend Members  506WRX Points: 54Posts: 506 Golden Tee

I can appreciate OP sitch. Life happens. I play fewer rounds now, and will jump at any chance to get out. Playing with randos is not as fun as with your pals but what’s worse? Playing with a pick up three some or not at all? I always had fun teeing off with strangers fortunately. It helps that I’m pretty good at the game.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members  571WRX Points: 145Handicap: 7Posts: 571 Golden Tee

I'm 35, just had our first kid. Up until now I played most of my rounds walking solo 9s at twilight because (for me) human contact isn't a requirement for being challenged or having a good time.

Now I walk with a stroller and I'm not alone. Still enjoyable though!

Posted:
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members  571WRX Points: 145Handicap: 7Posts: 571 Golden Tee

Made a second post because the mobile interface isn't letting me edit for some reason

On -, @CousinDonuts said:

I like rolling out solo from time to time for two main reasons. The first is that at my club if I go off at the right time I can play 18 in 2.5-3 hours. You get some exercise with the fast pace (walking), get in a full round, and go on about your day. I work from home most Fridays and we have this perfect time between the old guys (early) and lunch crowd where I can do this and still leave most of my afternoon for other things.

The other way is when you're a little bottled up with others on the course, use the time to work on shots. Maybe an extra ball or two off the tee to try a new line. Or drop a ball in a fairway bunker at various distances to the green. Sometimes I'll play 2 balls with a different club off the tee. You get to hit 4 different clubs instead of 2 and figure out new ways to play the course. I like playing 9 this way as you feel like you still got in a full round with the extra practice.

>

I do this a fair bit when alone. Ball 1, Ball 2 on scorecard and play each hole a different way with the respective balls.

Also if a round ever took longer than 4 hours I'd be pretty upset - I play 18 walking with a group of 70 year-olds regularly and we only take 3.5 hours on Saturday mornings. Solo I can bang it out in just over 2.

Posted:
  • over_roastover_roast Tampa, FLMembers  45WRX Points: 16Posts: 45 Bunkers

I usually play alone and really enjoy it. Most of the time it's just easier for my schedule to play when I want to play. Usually the local muni doesn't have a problem with solo walkers and I can keep a pretty brisk pace of play.

On the other hand, I really enjoy playing with others and look forward to it when I can.

Posted:
  • jlbos83jlbos83 Members  596WRX Points: 154Posts: 596 Golden Tee

On -, @jonesry09 said:

Setting up a single tee time might be a good opportunity to meet some fun people. Who knows, you might get paired with someone that will turn into your regular playing partner. I don't think I could golf alone on a regular basis. I don't like myself that much haha

I have done this. One guy I play with regularly. Another I met Sunday, we exchanged info so that we can try to meet up again. I enjoy playing alone, I enjoy playing with (most) others!

Posted:
    Jeff, an Arizona hacker
  • koleschofield34koleschofield34 Members  26WRX Points: 36Handicap: +1Posts: 26 Bunkers

I prefer to play with people that have the same skill level as me. I really like the competition. When I play alone I tend to try new stuff and practice certain shots.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • KwheatKwheat Members  104WRX Points: 32Posts: 104 Fairways

I like to play alone to work on things, play with friends or even randoms to be competitive.

Posted:
  • SandBaggerVanceSandBaggerVance Members  6WRX Points: 10Posts: 6 Bunkers

I prefer to play with friends most of the time on weekends and trips, but also love playing alone for those relaxing twilight rounds to work on my game.

Posted:
  • DaveLeeNCDaveLeeNC Pinehurst, NCMembers  5834WRX Points: 520Posts: 5,834 Titanium Tees

Agree - there is something special about ending the day alone on a golf course.

dave

Posted:
  • mtngerry59mtngerry59 Members  75WRX Points: 32Handicap: 4Posts: 75 Fairways

I hate playing alone, it’s a game meant to be played with people..........

Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403 Members  4279WRX Points: 755Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Posts: 4,279 Titanium Tees

What do you guys say to the starter if he wants to pair you up ?
    Or maybe you grab a tee times online and others have bought the same one.
    Just curious about experiences. I like playing with a buddy or alone.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • DaveLeeNCDaveLeeNC Pinehurst, NCMembers  5834WRX Points: 520Posts: 5,834 Titanium Tees

Guess it depends. One of the things that really attracted me to golf as a kid was the fact that it could be practiced or played quite effectively without having to find others to join you. Baseball, tennis, football, table tennis all were a bit hard to work on alone. Basketball was a welcome exception to that.

dave

Posted:
  • dominknowsdominknows Members  7WRX Points: 28Posts: 7 Bunkers

Weekends with buddies or wife, weekdays when time is of essence I play alone.

Posted:
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers  336WRX Points: 318Handicap: 13Posts: 336 Greens

Yes, yes! The only two sports I now play are golf and basketball.

Well, I guess I truly only play golf. My basketball is now confined to shooting hoops by myself while I imagine there's someone (taller and faster) actually guarding me.

Posted:

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & SM7 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood from endangered rainforests

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.