Golfing alone

Comments

• MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Members Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a regular foursome on the weekends. I am recently retired and play alone during the week. My weekend buddies are younger than I and still work for a living. Sometimes I’ll catch up with another player or two and join them. But the times that I play alone are very relaxing and enjoyable. I’ve played 70-rounds this year and I’d estimate 30-rounds have been solo.

• travtrav Members Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭

I may be one of the few, but I absolutely cannot play alone. I get very bored.

• Ngjg21Ngjg21 Members Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

I almost exclusively play alone or with randoms. I don’t mind it but it’s less personal preference and more to do with life situation (young kid+desire to keep wife happy=545 AM tee times). Not complaining...just thankful I’m still able to get out.

• bbfifasbbfifas Members Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing junior golf and practicing you get used to playing alone or in your own zone. Growing up working on golf courses you could sneak out before or after your shift and usually play alone or on a rare occasion meet up with a member. I enjoyed playing alone I could knock out 9 or 18 very quickly and work on some specific shots.

I still enjoy playing with my buddies and do enjoy the drinks and the laughs. But for me playing alone helps me decompress, gets my relaxed, and I always feel a strong connection to the golf course and golf in general and it reminds me of my late father who taught me to play golf at a young age and it was something we enjoyed together, its kind of an emotional connection and reminds me of him every time I step on the course.

Mizuno St190, 8.5*, Tensei White 70X shaft
    Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
    Taylormade V-Steel 5 wood, stock stiff
    Cobra F7 Hybrid 20* stiff Fuji Pro 75
    Cobra Forged Tec 5-PW, KBS C-taper lite stiff
    Cleveland CBX 50*, 115g DG
    place holder - currently 56* ATV wedge
    Vokey 58M
    Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34"
    Bridegstone Tour BX

• gregh729gregh729 #TheWRX 2016 Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bbfifas said:
    I still enjoy playing with my buddies and do enjoy the drinks and the laughs. But for me playing alone helps me decompress, gets me relaxed

Exactly. It is a great decompression and all of the voices and "stuff" in my head can quiet down

• SwingemSwingem Members Posts: 885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last week my wife and I were vacationing in Carmel California for a few days. I went out to Spyglass Hill as a single on Monday morning with a 7:30 tee time. Nobody ahead or behind me, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

TM 2016 M2, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 s
    TM 07 TP 3w, Aldila Voodoo SVS8
    TM 09 TP 2 Hybrid, Aldila Voodoo SVS8
    TM TP MC  4-PW, Project X LZ 5.5 
    TM EF 52* KBS Tour V wedge, 56* XFT & 60* KBS Hi Rev
    TM CB Spider Mallet 35"
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 12, 2019 7:34am #248

I'd booked a tee time for just myself at Angeles National last weekend as my regular playing pal was out of town and my other one hates that course. Assumed I'd get put with a threesome but ...

... showed up and the course was practically empty - 4th of July weekend and all but I didn't figure it'd be THAT empty. When I checked in, dude was like "Just go out whenever you want - we're wide open today." So I played two off every tee and got in a ton of short game practice I don't normally get much of a chance to do. Never saw anyone behind me and didn't see anyone in front till I caught up to a foursome on the 16th green.

Was out there by myself for almost 5 hours and it was one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time.

Titleist TS3 Driver 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 15°, 18°, 21°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 60°
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Titleist ProV1x

• HonestPlayerHonestPlayer Members Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I enjoy it as long as the course is empty or near empty. I don't like waiting for groups in front and people seem to be reluctant to let a one ball through for some odd reason.

Most birdies in a round in 2019 - 3
    Holes in ones career - 1

• TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@aenemated said:
    I'd booked a tee time for just myself at Angeles National last weekend as my regular playing pal was out of town and my other one hates that course. Assumed I'd get put with a threesome but ...

... showed up and the course was practically empty - 4th of July weekend and all but I didn't figure it'd be THAT empty. When I checked in, dude was like "Just go out whenever you want - we're wide open today." So I played two off every tee and got in a ton of short game practice I don't normally get much of a chance to do. Never saw anyone behind me and didn't see anyone in front till I caught up to a foursome on the 16th green.

Was out there by myself for almost 5 hours and it was one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time.

Wow, you should have bought a lottery ticket. Never played Angeles Nationals but other courses in that area like Brookside are never wide open, just the opposite.

• om18vom18v Members Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

@aenemated said:

Wait, wait! Do you mean you played solo on an empty course and didn't finish in 2:15? Isn't that against the WRX fast play code?? Said in jest of course. Nothing like an empty course and taking time for practice.

• USCdrifterUSCdrifter So CalMembers Posts: 18 ✭✭

@TIM929 said:
    Wow, you should have bought a lottery ticket. Never played Angeles Nationals but other courses in that area like Brookside are never wide open, just the opposite.

Brookside or whittier narrows will always be packed, but I practice a lot at Santa Anita and have had plenty of solo practice rounds at first light. Take off from the back 9 and you can usually get ahead of the first group teeing off from #1 and then you can jump around on some open holes

Honma TW737-445 9.5° Driver - Honma Vizard 70g stiff
    Adams Pro Mini 2h 18° aldila tour green ATX85H-2.8S
    Adams Pro Mini 4h 23° Aldila tour green ATX85H-2.8S
    Cleveland 588 MB 5-PW47° S300
    Miura Forged 50° NSpro 950 GH
    Cleveland TA 588 BECU 53°-8
    Cleveland TA 588 BECU 56°-14
    Cleveland TA 588 TA Japan Miura forged 58°-12
    Ping Anser 4 BECU UST FF shaft w/ Scotty grip

• TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 12, 2019 8:05pm #253

@USCdrifter said:

@TIM929 said:

Brookside or whittier narrows will always be packed, but I practice a lot at Santa Anita and have had plenty of solo practice rounds at first light. Take off from the back 9 and you can usually get ahead of the first group teeing off from #1 and then you can jump around on some open holes

better test it out, thanks. Hows the course/ greens compared to Brookside or Whittier Narrows?

I go to those 2 because the greens are not bad for a muni.

@TIM929 said:

Yeah, it was kinda nuts. I play there every so often - really whenever I see a deal come up on GolfNow - and it's usually pretty full. I figured it'd be somewhat open being 4th of July weekend but surely didn't expect to see it effectively empty when I showed up around noon.

@om18v said:
    Wait, wait! Do you mean you played solo on an empty course and didn't finish in 2:15? Isn't that against the WRX fast play code?? Said in jest of course. Nothing like an empty course and taking time for practice.

Haha I think I was coming off the 4th hole when it hit me I'd only been out there for like 30 minutes!

Titleist TS3 Driver 9.5°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 60°
    Titleist ProV1x

• scoresscores scores Members Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like to play at night by myself to work on shots that I know I can hit but just need a little practice. I have someone that asks me to play all the time he is a 16 I am a 3 and he wants to play matches at night. I will be trying to cut /draw high 2i or low 3wd but I may want to hit a few. He will look over after a few holes stating who’s so my response-
    I said any weekend you want to play a match I am good but I want to hit my non crutch shots at night. If a hockey play needs to work on a one timer they practice that shot or baseball player needs work on low fastball s they work on it.
    We played a long course this weekend and I shot 76 he was lucky to be 95.He would not talk to me on the back nine! I like him but he needs to be realistic on his skills but will not accept it!!!

Driver M1
    3W M1
    Irons Mizunos 64's 3 -pw
    Putter Spider
    58 Titleist
    52 Titeist
    Hybrid 2I Adams

Ball Taylor TP
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a group I play with semi-steadily, but it's getting harder to get everyone together due to family and work obligations. I love playing single. Gives me a chance to gather my thoughts or do away with them altogether. I also enjoy being paired with someone. I can only think of three rounds where that turned out badly. I'm also in a league, so I get all sides of the spectrum.

• gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's kind of a seasonal thing for me, as I really enjoy playing solo, but not on a crowded course. Here in Michigan, some courses stay open all winter, weather permitting, and are very empty. Late fall, winter and early spring I love the solitary round. Very relaxing and helps me to decompress from my hectic work schedule. Also... in season golf in the light rain. Empty courses, mild inconvenience in a rain suit.

• Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@om18v said:

@aenemated said:

I'm headed out shortly as a scramble coming off the course around 4:00. I will be walking a very hilly course on my own and playing multiple balls and extra shots and WILL BE DONE IN 2:15

Not sure how many balls or how slow he was playing that it took 5 hours!!!!

• om18vom18v Members Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

@Under2hours said:

@om18v said:

@aenemated said:

I'm headed out shortly as a scramble coming off the course around 4:00. I will be walking a very hilly course on my own and playing multiple balls and extra shots and WILL BE DONE IN 2:15

Maybe his goal was not to finish as quickly as possible. Apparently he was not holding anyone up. Ever stop and smell the roses? You like to play fast, yeah, that is abundantly clear. SHOUT ALL YOU WANT. He said, "one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time." Nuff said.

• puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy playing alone, just me and the ball and the course. Will add, some of my quickest rounds are by myself.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • Kevlar10Kevlar10 Members Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

I play as a single 90% of the time. Getting paired up with someone else isn’t bad unless they have a really annoying personality. When I do play alone, it’s great, no pace to keep, and no waiting or looking for another player’s ball. I played Green Ridge in NY on Saturday and it was completely quiet except for the birds chirping. I’ve never experienced a round of golf so serene. No car sounds, no people, nothing but nature. Even when I play at my local course at 5:30AM there are still sounds from the road. It was truly intoxicating.

• PistoleroPetePistoleroPete Members Posts: 3

Usually book as a single and get paired up with 3 others. But since it’s around the same time every weekend I usually see the same guys early in the morning. Except this past Sunday I was grouped with a dad and his 20 something year old son. The son was terrible at golf which doesn’t bother me. EXCEPT he complained the whole 4 hours about how he was robbed, had a bad lie, lost his ball in the middle of the fairway, etc. He also kicked his bag, threw his clubs, slammed his clubs into his bag during other people’s backswings. Basically acted like a jerk. If you teach your kids anything, please teach them that no one cares how good you are at golf but people will care if you ruin an otherwise fun round of golf.

edited Jul 16, 2019 12:21pm #263

@om18v said:

@Under2hours said:

@om18v said:

@aenemated said:

Maybe his goal was not to finish as quickly as possible. Apparently he was not holding anyone up. Ever stop and smell the roses? You like to play fast, yeah, that is abundantly clear. SHOUT ALL YOU WANT. He said, "one of the most fun afternoons I've had on a golf course in a long, long time." Nuff said.

Sorry five hours to play a round of golf alone is beyond a turtle's pace and yes wondering what he was doing (as he mentioned hitting other shots, but I'd probably hit 500 if it was a 5 hour round)...... Can only imagine what his regular pace is.

I love golf and if I had 5 hours I'd play 2 rounds if possible. Yesterday I played at least two balls every hole, a drive and then two balls with my approach shots (2 on every par three too). Since after an outside event I too was fixing many divots and more pitch marks on the greens.

I must admit now that I do have my regular group and playing most rounds with others, I was annoyed that no one saw my first pitch in of the year a beautiful gw over a bunker that disappeared. Had 2 other birdies too and some really nice shots to boot. Putting was not great.

And yes was off in 2:10....... 3:30 door to door.

Post edited by Under2hours on
  • WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

To paraphrase the song, "When I golf alone, I prefer to be by myself. I golf alone."
    Solo golf is the best.

• lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I get absolutely nothing out of hitting balls on the range. I love golfing alone. The courses around here aren't usually packed and I can really get my game from 100 yards in about as good as I can get it. But, I also love my league night.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black

@lawsonman said:
    I get absolutely nothing out of hitting balls on the range. I love golfing alone. The courses around here aren't usually packed and I can really get my game from 100 yards in about as good as I can get it. But, I also love my league night.

Same here. The exercise carrying a bag and playing a quick pace and 15000 steps doesn't hurt either.

edited Jul 16, 2019 6:06pm #267

@Under2hours said:

@om18v said:

@Under2hours said:

@om18v said:

@aenemated said:

Sorry five hours to play a round of golf alone is beyond a turtle's pace and yes wondering what he was doing (as he mentioned hitting other shots, but I'd probably hit 500 if it was a 5 hour round)...... Can only imagine what his regular pace is.

I love golf and if I had 5 hours I'd play 2 rounds if possible. Yesterday I played at least two balls every hole, a drive and then two balls with my approach shots (2 on every par three too). Since after an outside event I too was fixing many divots and more pitch marks on the greens.

I must admit now that I do have my regular group and playing most rounds with others, I was annoyed that no one saw my first pitch in of the year a beautiful gw over a bunker that disappeared. Had 2 other birdies too and some really nice shots to boot. Putting was not great.

I was spending about 15-20 minutes around every green practicing my short game. I ENJOY practice.

How often does one get a world class course in amazing condition on a gorgeous Southern California day practically all to yourself?

Answer - basically never. So yeah, I probably hit MORE than 500 shots. Easily. Why WOULDN'T I do that?

As far as how fast I normally play? I'll lay any amount of money I can walk 18 holes faster than most.

Titleist TS3 Driver 9.5°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 60°
    Titleist ProV1x

• MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 16, 2019 6:42pm #268

I'm starting to think I may not practice on the range much going forward.

The last couple days I've gone out in the evening and played from the forward tees hitting mid-irons into the fairways and approaches from 150 and in. I've carried about 7-8 clubs in total in a lightweight bag with a minimal amount of extra stuff and aside from it being really hot out, it's not tiring at all.

I think playing that way with a few balls off each tee trying to keep myself around level par is probably better than beating balls on the range.

I think I'm going to make this a routine thing! Not only am I getting to shake things up but I've been surprised at how much fun it is to play "easy" golf where you've got 2-3 good chances at birdie on every hole. I'm surprised at how quickly I can blow through 9 holes, too. When there's no meandering around looking for wayward shots you tend to play really fast.

Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5) w. Tensei Pro Orange
    Fairway: Titleist 915 F (18) w. Diamana Blueboard
    Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics E8 (19)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select

@aenemated said:

@Under2hours said:

@om18v said:

@Under2hours said:

@om18v said:

@aenemated said:

I was spending about 15-20 minutes around every green practicing my short game. I ENJOY practice.

How often does one get a world class course in amazing condition on a gorgeous Southern California day practically all to yourself?

Answer - basically never. So yeah, I probably hit MORE than 500 shots. Easily. Why WOULDN'T I do that?

As far as how fast I normally play? I'll lay any amount of money I can walk 18 holes faster than most.

Congrats, missed the practice part. Now it makes more sense.

• BDowningBDowning Members Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Love playing with friends but will welcome playing alone if schedules don't work. As long as I'm playing.

• TreyWingbatTreyWingbat Members Posts: 472 ✭✭✭✭

I've played with myself many times (bahahaha)... I can usually get 18 done walking in just over 2 hours too, as the few groups that are on the course weekday evenings let me through no problems. It's great.

The average WRX'er drives it 342, and hits a 7-iron 220.*
    *Distances measured in feet, not yards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file