TPC Harding Park

Comments

• tjbluetjblue Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Shakester wrote:

I've been playing courses in the area for a long time and I prefer Harding Park over any of the public courses that are in the area. For a resident, Presidio is more expensive to play on a weekend than Harding. Presidio offers elevation changes, but on #16, its kind of ridiculous. You're basically playing up a side of a mountain. The pace of play at Presidio is much slower as well. I've played 5.5 hour rounds there while at Harding, I usually finish in 4.5 or less.

Harding is a challenging course. Tiger's best round, in his prime, at Harding was a 68 so I wouldn't call it easy. Lots of doglegs rights and there is enough, unnoticeable, elevation changes to make you think about your club selection. For me, considering they're both the same price, Harding is a no-brainer and I live closer to Presidio. A few of my buddies actually live on Arguello street and are literally 4 blocks away from Presidio and they prefer to take the drive to Harding. But in all honesty, $188 is pretty steep to play there. For $84, its pretty good. I'd much rather take the 30-45 minute drive to Half Moon Bay and play the Ocean course for $150.00.

What is the reason for the slower play...I'll be in town in Feb and an looking to play either but am partial to the Presidio.
  • ShakesterShakester Members Posts: 424 ✭✭
    tjblue wrote:

What is the reason for the slower play...I'll be in town in Feb and an looking to play either but am partial to the Presidio.

On weekends, they tend to pack in the tee times and there are no shortage of hackers out there. Its such a central part of the city that the people who want to play golf just ends up at Presidio. There are only three, 18 hole golf courses in the city (Lincoln, Presidio and Harding). The nearest course outside the city, especially from that area, would probably be Monarch Bay or Metropolitan across the Bay Bridge. Sharp Park is close too, but there is a lot of navigation through city streets and highways to get there and honestly, I don't think Sharp Park is worth it. If they really kept Sharp Park in good condition, that place would be an absolute gem of a course because I love the layout there, except for that 80 yard par 3.
    Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood 18
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Newport Platinum Putter
    Taylormade TP5 Golf balls
  • tjbluetjblue Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Shakester wrote:

tjblue wrote:

On weekends, they tend to pack in the tee times and there are no shortage of hackers out there. Its such a central part of the city that the people who want to play golf just ends up at Presidio. There are only three, 18 hole golf courses in the city (Lincoln, Presidio and Harding). The nearest course outside the city, especially from that area, would probably be Monarch Bay or Metropolitan across the Bay Bridge. Sharp Park is close too, but there is a lot of navigation through city streets and highways to get there and honestly, I don't think Sharp Park is worth it. If they really kept Sharp Park in good condition, that place would be an absolute gem of a course because I love the layout there, except for that 80 yard par 3.

Thanks for the intel. I'm thinking of playing on a Monday so that should help. Really intrigued with Sharp park...will it be in better shape this winter?
  • ShakesterShakester Members Posts: 424 ✭✭
    Sharp Park doesn't drain well at all, especially on a stretch of holes where you have to go across a street into a small canyon (4,5 and 6). The land and location that is on now could really be a top Bay Area course. Too bad they just don't close it down and redo it as a link style.
    Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood 18
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Newport Platinum Putter
    Taylormade TP5 Golf balls
  • mahansemahanse Members Posts: 5
    My preference is Harding 100%.

I play at Harding pretty frequently and i don't think i have ever had a round take longer than 5 hours, normally around 4:15 - 4:30. Most people walk the course and i really think that helps with pace of play since its cart path only otherwise. I cant remember many times where Presidio was LESS than 5 hours...Each time i go to presidio, i think, i don't have any good reason to go back.

Also, there is a subtle challenge to Harding that i think takes a while to recognize. It seems flat and pretty straight forward but I've yet to shoot a really great round out there and thats part of the reason why it never gets old. When i finally break 80 there, i will consider it a great success for me after 40+ rounds. Been close a few times but 16-18 find a way to humble me.

They have already started initial conditioning of the course for the upcoming PGA Championship and its in great shape overall.
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,966 ✭✭
    I played Presidio back in mid-July. I was in one of the first groups out at 6:10 am, and we finished at 9:50 am. If you're looking to avoid a death march, an early tee time is warranted.
  • carreracarrera Members Posts: 2,540 ✭✭
    Shakester wrote:

I love the layout there, except for that 80 yard par 3.

When I played Sharp a lot in the early 80's, that short hole was almost never used....like that hole between #2 green and #3 tee at Tilden Park. Was definitely a negative when they had to put it into regular play.
    Cobra F9 Tour Length - Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
    Cobra F9 14.5 - Atmos Blue Stiff
    Callaway Epic Hybrid - Recoil 780 stiff
    Cobra King 3/4 Utility - Recoil 780 Smacwrap F4
    Cobra King Forged TEC Black - Recoil 95 F4 5-PW
    Cobra King Black wedges 54/58 versatile grinds - Recoil 110 F4
    Odyssey 2Ball
    TM TP5X
  • ChicagoBuckeye80ChicagoBuckeye80 Members Posts: 18
    Thanks for sharing fellas. I am hoping to get out to Harding Park soon myself.
  • SmoothStroker81SmoothStroker81 I'd rather be driving a Kirkland Sig Members Posts: 207
    Shakester wrote:

Sharp Park doesn't drain well at all, especially on a stretch of holes where you have to go across a street into a small canyon (4,5 and 6). The land and location that is on now could really be a top Bay Area course. Too bad they just don't close it down and redo it as a link style.

Fundraising has begun for Sharp Park...about ~$12M required to return it to the original design. It's in the Fall 2017 NCGA magazine on page 20. I didn't realize that the 4 holes across the road weren't originals. These seem very MacKenzie like. Not sure how they will deal with the holes that were where the sea wall is now.
    Driver: Taylormade M2 9.5 Rogue 125 70TX
    3W: Taylormade M2 15 Tour AD Di-7X
    5W: Taylormade M1 19 Tour AD Di-7X
    2i & 4i Honma TW-U Forged w/ Nippon Modus 105X
    5i-PW: Miura CB-57 w/ Nippon Modus 120X
    Wedges: 52, 56, 60 Vokey SM6
    Putter: Black Lab BL-1
    Bag: Ping Hoofer
  • lchanglchang Posts: 536 ClubWRX
    Does Presidio still drain horribly? I remember it just being so muddy from nov to May.

• Thanks for sharing fellas. I am hoping to get out to Harding Park soon myself.

Heard great things about the course, this guy at work is always raving about this track.
  • traumamctraumamc Members Posts: 53 ✭✭
    I'll add my 2 cents. Given the choice between those two courses (Presidio and Harding) I would choose Harding. I find Presidio to feel gimmicky and a lot of the time good shots aren't rewarded. Harding is indeed flat but the trees make the course very pretty. I am surprised by the amount of love for Sharpe. I have played it twice (I live in the city but I belong to one of the private clubs) and couldn't believe the terrible shape it was in both times. On top of that, numerous holes have been under renovation for what feels like a lifetime. Enjoy your trip to SF, it's an amazing city!
  • Argonne69 wrote:

It's not bad for the locals, but I thought it was very overpriced for the out of town player. I played it in July, and the course was in very nice shape. However, there are few memorable holes.

I preferred Presidio at half the price.

Not counting price, what would you recommend b/w presidio, sharp Park & Harding Park. Walkability& good design are most important to me. I can play Harding for $50 wed afternoon on golf now. It sounds like presidio (around $80) is better & closer to my union square hotel?
  • I’d also consider sharp park. Love MacKenzie. Ok with bad conditions
  • fredstarfredstar Members Posts: 1,169 ✭✭
    I played it in 2010 and got charged $120 (or 140) and thought it was the worst value I have paid to play. Condition was like a heavily played muni and very ordinary. Played with a local who paid a fraction of that and he said they shut the course for a few months before any major event.
    Nike Zoom Precision
    Adidas Tour360 2.0
    Nike TW13
    Nike Lunar Control 4
    Jordan Flight Runner
    Ecco Biom Hybrid

Callaway Rogue Driver
    Callaway Rogue SZ 3 wood
    Srixon u45 20*, 23*
    Ping i200 Irons
    Ping Glide 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey RSX Milled Fang
  • I played Harding Park on wed afternoon. Paid $50 on golf now. The fairways & greens had been sanded but I loved the layout!
  • mahanse wrote:

My preference is Harding 100%.

I play at Harding pretty frequently and i don't think i have ever had a round take longer than 5 hours, normally around 4:15 - 4:30. Most people walk the course and i really think that helps with pace of play since its cart path only otherwise. I cant remember many times where Presidio was LESS than 5 hours...Each time i go to presidio, i think, i don't have any good reason to go back.

Also, there is a subtle challenge to Harding that i think takes a while to recognize. It seems flat and pretty straight forward but I've yet to shoot a really great round out there and thats part of the reason why it never gets old. When i finally break 80 there, i will consider it a great success for me after 40+ rounds. Been close a few times but 16-18 find a way to humble me.

They have already started initial conditioning of the course for the upcoming PGA Championship and its in great shape overall.

What tees do you play at HP? Would you consider moving up a tee so you hit more GIR & have a better chance at breaking 80?

Argonne69 wrote:

It's not bad for the locals, but I thought it was very overpriced for the out of town player. I played it in July, and the course was in very nice shape. However, there are few memorable holes.

Argonne69 wrote:

How much did you pay for each?
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Posts: 845 ✭✭
    Harding Park is interesting because when I see many of the comments about it being just ok I have to agree. I have tried to love it but just end up liking it at best. Definitely doesnt hurt to give it a try but when you are finished you may have trouble coming up with a hole you felt was truly exceptional. The other courses mentioned are usually a little short on maintenance so take that into consideration.
  • GoStarsGoStars Posts: 447 ✭✭
    I played Harding at the tourist rate. I enjoyed it. It should be a bit cheaper, but it is a $170 round, not a $400 round that was mediocre. I’d play it again at that $170 price.

• aloha b.aloha b. Members Posts: 577 ✭✭
    I'd rather get the hot deal on golf now and pay $170 to play Pasatiempo
  • kujositkujosit Posts: 101 ✭✭
    I played Harding and Presidio recently, and loved both courses. For me, playing from the blue vs white tees at Presidio is not much difference in difficulty; typically 10-20 yards apart. However, it's much more challenging playing the blues at Harding; averaging 50-100 yards apart with different angled tee shots. Sometimes the blues are at the pro tips. Because of this variety, I prefer Harding.
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Posts: 845 ✭✭
    Playing Pasatiempo v Harding for about the same money. I realize Pasa is a bit of a drive but the quality of the golf is much superior at Pasatiempo imho.

• Playing Pasatiempo v Harding for about the same money. I realize Pasa is a bit of a drive but the quality of the golf is much superior at Pasatiempo imho.

Defintely. Pasa is my #1 course I’ve ever played. Harding Park is around #30
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,966 ✭✭
    edited Mar 5, 2018 #55

Argonne69 wrote:

How much did you pay for each?

It was $170 at Harding, plus the cost of a pull cart. An electric cart would have been more. I believe I paid $90 (w/ cart) at Presidio.

If one can get a rate of $100 or less at Harding, then I'd say go for it.
  • jayhawk0624jayhawk0624 Members Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I'm gonna be in San Francisco at the end of the month and can get a tee time at 1:30. Would I be able to finish before it gets dark out? I've got no idea what the pace of play is at the course.
  • bwantlandbwantland Members Posts: 23 ✭✭

I'm gonna be in San Francisco at the end of the month and can get a tee time at 1:30. Would I be able to finish before it gets dark out? I've got no idea what the pace of play is at the course.

Sunset on October 30 is projected to be ~6:15pm, giving you a 4:45 POP. That should be enough time as it's been right around 4.5 hours the times I've gone out there. Even at 5 hours for pace of play, you still have about 25-30 minutes of twilight as buffer.
  • jayhawk0624jayhawk0624 Members Posts: 20 ✭✭
    bwantland wrote:

Sunset on October 30 is projected to be ~6:15pm, giving you a 4:45 POP. That should be enough time as it's been right around 4.5 hours the times I've gone out there. Even at 5 hours for pace of play, you still have about 25-30 minutes of twilight as buffer.

Thanks for the info!
  • wtoomeywtoomey Lefty Boomers Posts: 331 ✭✭
    I just walked off the course after a 4 hour round. We started at 10am and the last putt dropped right at 2pm. It was a great pace of play today.
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    I got a tee time @ 130 @ TPC HP this Friday. It's been raining and will rain so I expect muddy condition. First time @ HP. Excited to play like a kid.

Questions for the locals.

- pace of play in Friday afternoon?

- transportation to SFO afterwards. Uber or BART?

- is this course forgiving? How many balls should I bring as 14 hcp?
    WWG1 WGA
  • dam276dam276 I shoulda yelled two Posts: 582 ✭✭
    edited Mar 15, 2019 10:48pm #61
    Not a local, but played it a lot. To answer your questions:

-slowish, but even on the weekends it stays 4.5 hours or so

-is it even a trip to SF without a Lyft/Uber/via?

-there's more than enough trouble to get into, but so long as you drive it decently you shouldn't need more than a sleeve. If you're prone to missing both ways off the tee I might bring the rest of the dozen
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Callaway Epic 9* (Accra FX260 M4)
    Callaway Epic SZ 3W (D+ 70X)
    Callaway Epic 5W (Kai'li 70X)
    TaylorMade Rescue 11 4H (NV 85X)
    Nike VR Pro Blades 4-PW (MODUS 120X)
    Titleist SM7 50* F (PX 5.5)
    Titleist SM7 54* F (PX 5.5)
    Titleist SM7 60* L (KBS Hi-Rev 2.0)
    Lajosi XP3