P770? No love?

Comments

• SkeeterfireSkeeterfire Members Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    I see a lot of chatter about “better players” gravitating towards 730, or 750, but I know two really good assistant pros that just went to 790’s. I’m not in their league, I’m hovering between a 6-8 index, but I also went with 790’s. Just like the look and feel,
  • Ray JacksonRay Jackson Members Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Zurb wrote:

Bomber_11 wrote:

Hit all 4

P770 is last in essentially every aspect, especially feel and aesthetics

Well then.. I stand mostly correct... I hate that feeling.

Disagree. The 770s feel much better than the 790s, however someone buying the 790s may not care about the feel so much.
  • 97speedster97speedster Speedster Members Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 7, 2018 #64
    The reason some PGA Tour players are using the "just" the long irons from the P790's are because the P790 hits knuckle balls which works fine in a long iron, but not in a mid or short iron. The last thing I want is to hit a jumper from a good lie in the fairway. The P770 is softer and it spins more so I think that is a much better option for a better player looking for forgiveness. I think that even the P790 five iron is almost unplayable for a better a player.... when I was 200 yards away hitting a 5 iron, I was scared to death of hitting over the green because I have been 205 and decided to hit a hard 5 iron that went 215 and I don't like to be scared when I have an iron in my hand..... even the P790 4 iron is more of a driving iron and not the club I want to be hitting into a green expecting it to hold.

The only place where I like the performance of the P790 is out of the fairway bunkers, but I am not going to make a decision to use a club based on that.... it is the best club I have ever used out of fairway bunkers and it is probably because it gets the ball up faster than a normal iron and the sand helps to add a more manageable amount of spin. I think if you are a scratch golfer, then you should be ruling out the P790 and playing the P770, but if you are a slow swinging 5+ handicap then sure the P790 might add to your game, but for a faster swinging "good" player I would not recommend going the P790 route and would highly recommend the P770.
    WITB in 2018
    Driver: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Stage 2 (10.5 degrees)
    Shaft: Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 6X
    3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Stage 2 (14.5 degrees)
    Shaft: Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 7X
    Hybrid: Srixon U85 (18 degrees)
    Shaft: KBS TGI 100 
    Irons: TaylorMade P-760 (4-PW)
    Shaft: KBS TGI 100  +1/2"
    Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (52.12, 58.12),
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 64.8
    Shaft: KBS TGI 100  +1/2" in 52 & 58; True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S-400 in 64
    Putter:
    Tour Issue Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Lined and Filled 34"
    Grip: Golf Pride Classic Putter Grip
    Golf Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
  • want2bprowant2bpro Members Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
    need some help if possible...i love golf and try to play as often as i can in the warmer months. last september i was fitted; i had rac5's for about 13 years and decided i wanted a new set.

i was fitted and fell in love with the 790s. on a good day i shoot mid-high 80, i loved the look, and the idea that these were a step up from game improvement irons.

typically i make pretty good contact, i think i lose a lot of strokes around and on the green.

a fitting only had me hit a 6 iron- it was great. only after i received my 790s did i realize i would be hitting my 5 iron 215-220, 6iron ~200, 7 iron ~180-185, and then 8 iron 160!!! the gaps in my longer irons i could deal with but not the shorter irons.

TM is actually sending me a new set after i called customer service- hopefully there was some sort of defect in the irons, and the gapping issue is solved. but if it is not working for me, i will sell a mint 790 set and need something else.

am i good enough to play the 770s?

• Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    want2bpro wrote:

need some help if possible...i love golf and try to play as often as i can in the warmer months. last september i was fitted; i had rac5's for about 13 years and decided i wanted a new set.

i was fitted and fell in love with the 790s. on a good day i shoot mid-high 80, i loved the look, and the idea that these were a step up from game improvement irons.

typically i make pretty good contact, i think i lose a lot of strokes around and on the green.

a fitting only had me hit a 6 iron- it was great. only after i received my 790s did i realize i would be hitting my 5 iron 215-220, 6iron ~200, 7 iron ~180-185, and then 8 iron 160!!! the gaps in my longer irons i could deal with but not the shorter irons.

TM is actually sending me a new set after i called customer service- hopefully there was some sort of defect in the irons, and the gapping issue is solved. but if it is not working for me, i will sell a mint 790 set and need something else.

They are sending you a new set because you hit them to long?

That is the result of jacked lofts my friend
    Ping g410 plus 8* 1 flat Fuji pro 2.0 Ts 6x
    Titleist TS3 16.5* evenflow white t1100 6.5 75g
    Ping g410 19* hybrid 
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 34” navy with true path alignment
  • Leftync22Leftync22 Members Posts: 16
    Being a lefty, I only have but so many options. I absolutely love my P770's. I ended up going with 6-AW in P770/3-6 in P790 and don't regret it for one second. I've hit the AP2,CB,JPX Forged,X Forged,Srixon,Pings and Apex Pro. None of those gave me the feeling and consistency I was looking for. Great irons, that are very much underrated.
  • i8myshirti8myshirt Members Posts: 29
    I hit the p770 during a club champion fitting and it was a great feeling head. The only reason I didn't think about getting it is because I wanted to play blades. Otherwise, I think it's a great club head and would be very easy to game.
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 7, 2018 #69
    My set arrived yesterday and the weather was horrible with snow overnight. I will get them out tomorrow to go head to head with my 2018 X Forged. They both have the same Steelfiber shaft but Club Champion did build the X Forged to a D5 and 2 degrees strong. I really love the X Forged but being a HO this is one last head to head before I set the final bag for the season.

I wish I knew the SW of the P770's but I don't have a scale. I think they are less than D5 by at least a couple of points but that is a guess from feel only. I will see how I like them as is and then add some lead tape if needed as a temp fix. They arrived to me like new though they are used. The set was AW-6i only so I grabbed a P790 5i to gap between my 23 hybrid. We will see how that works out.

The P770 are going to have to be VERY good with my swing to kick out the X Forged. Having said that, the M3 driver beat out my 917D3 that I loved and the PING G400 and Rogue during a fitting. I hope they do win in my little head to head battle. That would mean they are VERY VERY good with my swing cause the X Forged are the best I have ever played.
    Taylormade M5 driver with Tensei Orange stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff
    Taylormade M6 Rescue 19 degree
    Taylormade P790 5i with Recoil 95 F4 shaft
    Taylormade P770 6i-AW with Recoil 95 F4 shafts
    Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 with KBS
    O-Works 7s

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I tested the 770 and the 790 and the Callaway 2018 X forged. I bought the P770. It felt the best and had the least offset. I have only been able to play one round with them but I like them and am stuck with them. The i200 and Apexes I have been playing the last two seasons are going up are going up for sale
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
    Kale_m wrote:

want2bpro wrote:

yes, i know that. my issue is not necessaryly the distances, it is the gapping. i have incredibly large gaps, sometimes 20 yards between my 7i and 8i

i know the 770s have more traditional lofts, but they are 100% forged, smaller, and while im a decent player, they may be a little too much of a player iron for me. generally i hit the 790s well, but the 770s are a little different
    want2bpro wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

want2bpro wrote:

yes, i know that. my issue is not necessaryly the distances, it is the gapping. i have incredibly large gaps, sometimes 20 yards between my 7i and 8i

i know the 770s have more traditional lofts, but they are 100% forged, smaller, and while im a decent player, they may be a little too much of a player iron for me. generally i hit the 790s well, but the 770s are a little different

Bend the lofts then to get the distances you need

Ping g410 19* hybrid 
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Kale_m wrote:

want2bpro wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

want2bpro wrote:

i think i have decided that i dont want to play distance irons, rather play a solid iron which is more traditional. can anyone provide insight into what type of player would nornally play 770s?

if people are choosing between 770s and blades, my best guess is that these are above my game.

some guidance is appreciated.

thanks
    Distance irons are for those that need distance or trajectory. Blades are for those that can swing any length of club so don't need the strong lofts and can hit the middle of the face. If you don't hit the middle of the face with blades you can't repeat distances.

Players cavity backs are for those in the middle. They appreciate a little forgiveness because that helps them repeat distances which IMO is the most important step in playing to your ability.

If you can't hit a 5 iron, then you probably should not be playing blades :-)

If you don't struggle with distance or trajectory then players cavity backs may be a go for you.

If you like to hit a 9 iron when your buddies are hitting 6 irons, then distance clubs are going to make you smile!

This is all over simplified and maybe worth 2cents :-)
    O-Works 7s

Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    want2bpro wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

want2bpro wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

want2bpro wrote:

i think i have decided that i dont want to play distance irons, rather play a solid iron which is more traditional. can anyone provide insight into what type of player would nornally play 770s?

if people are choosing between 770s and blades, my best guess is that these are above my game.

some guidance is appreciated.

thanks

I could easily drop my blades and play the 770’s

But I would go 750. Just look better to me. More compact, less offset

Ping g410 19* hybrid 
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    edited Apr 10, 2018 #76
    Kale_m wrote:

I could easily drop my blades and play the 770's

But I would go 750. Just look better to me. More compact, less offset

The 770's have a significant more amount of "meat" behind them than the 750's and are easier to hit. To me the 750's have a cavity that is more for aesthetics because they are much closer to a blade than a cavity back. There are players on tour that are combo setting the seven series and a good way to go would be 4-6 iron in 770 and 7-PW in the 750's, but I wouldn't go straight 750's because the long irons look very thin to me.

I have owned the 750, 790, and am now playing 4-PW in the 770's which I knew right away were the right choice when I went to bend them.... they are as soft as butter and bend extremely easy which tells me a lot right there. Obviously the 750's bend just as easily, but the 790's were very hard to bend and even seemed to spring back a bit after being bent because when I rechecked them, they had moved and I had to use a significant amount of force to even get them close to where I wanted. I'm a good iron player and like a lot of feel in my irons, and to me the 770's check all my boxes: 1. They look great. 2. They are soft. 3. They are Forged. 4. They have just the right amount of spin when properly struck. 5. They have great turf interaction when going through the grass.

To me, the 790's are a beaters club that have way too little spin and can jump on you very easily, even from a good lie in the fairway, when hit on the screws.... down wind they can scare the heck out of you.
    WITB in 2018
    Shaft: KBS TGI 100  +1/2" in 52 & 58; True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S-400 in 64
    Putter:
    I think I am getting the P770's dialed in but until this crazy wind quits blowing every day I play it is hard to be sure. I haven't posted a great number with them in the bag yet but they have been very good. I have made more birdies with them in the bag but I keep throwing that away with one or two stupid holes that push me to the upper 70's or 81 is my worst score with them. Of course golf is fickle but I feel like my bag is where I need it to give me a chance at some lower numbers and hopefully a couple of points drop in my HC this season.

The proof will be on the card so we will see :-)

One thing for sure, the feel of shots off of the P770 are butter!
    O-Works 7s

• MidMOGolferMidMOGolfer Members Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    Will be a year later this month that I've had the P770's and I absolutely love them.

High, soft ball flight, very workable, and very consistent.
    D/3W/H: Taylormade M2 2016
    4I-AW: Taylormade P770
    GW/LW: Taylormade EF
    P: Seemore FGP Mallet
    Ball: Taylormade TP5X
  • wknomiwknomi Members Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I have a 4-pw in the 750s and had been seriously thinking about going to a 770 4i. So I hit it against the 790 4i and I will say that the 790s are stupid easy to hit. I'd have to bend the loft weak to match the 750s but if I had to switch I would go with the 790 hands down

M1 9.5 Black Tie 75m4 X-stiff
    P790 UDI PX HZRDS 6.0 85g
    P790 3-4i PX 6.0
    P750 5-PW PX 6.0
    MG 50.10 PX 6.0
    SM6 56.10, 60.8 PX 5.5
    SC SS NP2

• specimaniaspecimania Members Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    770 are pretty darn good clubs. I pondered the Ap2 but the 770 are softer and have pretty amazing everything. I would agree with many opinions that the P series is the best set of irons TM has released. They just got these irons right.
  • morgan1819morgan1819 Official Member Members Posts: 997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018 #81
    p770's were a little underappreciated when they came out ... but they are very nice. Look nice, and do everything pretty well.

You could blend in p790 4 and 5 irons, possibly going 2* weak. 1/4" club length steps (rather than 1/2") would also make the gap transition a little friendlier between models.

Srixon 10.2 degrees. Accra TZ5 80
    Srixon 16.0 degrees. Accra TZ5 90
    Srixon 21.0 degrees. Accra TZ5 97
    Srixon Z 4-PW. TI S400
    Cleveland 52, 58. Raw. TI S400
    Byron Morgan DH89

I am getting quite a few rounds under my belt with the P770's and one P790. I am way past my normal honeymoon phase and I have never been this content with a set of clubs. After bending the P770's 2 degrees strong, flight is where I want it and I am getting my distance down. I have not gone super low with them yet but still making progress. Played Peoria yesterday (6960 with 127 slope) and carded a 76. At 59 years old my longest drives will only occasionally hit 300 with my average probably 265 so it is not like I have wedges in my hands on longer par 4's. However, these irons have me close to all I can expect with my ability!

Great clubs!
    O-Works 7s

• JustinMJustinM Members Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    I’ve been playing P790s and I ordered a set of P770 1 degree strong 6-PW and 1 1/2 degrees weak P790 5 iron. I can’t wait to get them next week. I ordered a 6 iron to give them a try and the feel was amazing. I don’t know if they feel much softer than the 790s but I love the quote on quote turf interaction on the 770. Definitely a winner. With strengthening them by 2 degrees, are you seeing a much lower flight?
  • CTJCTJ Members Posts: 121
    I keep going back and forth on whether to play the P770s or the P790s. I have a set of each. The P770s I ordered directly from TaylorMade with Steelfiber i95 shafts and bent 1.5 degrees strong. I get pretty much the same ball speed as with the P790s, but more spin, so the P790s give me 5 or so more yards distance. The P790s are shafted with Steelfiber i110s, so they don’t interchange exactly or I might blend them. I decided to order a 6 and 7 iron in the P790s with the same i95 shaft as the P770s. They are spec’d one half degree week. I am hoping they will blend and then I might just be able to settle on the blended set.

When my swing is on, I definitely go lower with the P770s, because with the extra spin, I can get more birdie opportunities. If I am playing a course that is really long, I can play the P790s. That’s my strategy on paper.

I really think the P770s are awesome irons, though. I got better performance head to head with the P770s than the new AP2s.
    WITB

Titleist TS3, Hzrdus Smoke, 6.0
    Callaway Great Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree fairway wood, Matrix Osik Red Tie S
    Callaway Great Big Bertha 16 (set to 17) degree fairway wood, Rogu I/O Silver S
    Titleist 818 H2, 21 (set to 20) and 23 (set to 24) degree Hybrids, Even Flow Blue, 6.0
    Mizuno JPX 919 F, 6 through pw, C Taper Lite S
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 50, 56 and 60
    Scotty Cameron CX-02
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just grabbed a set!
  • specimaniaspecimania Members Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome irons! Beat out 765 and that was shocking!
  • DNice26DNice26 Members Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered the 790 4 and 5 irons along with the 770 in 6 to PW. 790 are coming one degree weak and the 770 one degree strong. Ordered them with PX 6.5 soft stepped once and 1/2” long, Vcords. Cant wait to get them!

TaylorMade M6 10.5, Graphite Design 6X, 45.25"
    TaylorMade RBZ Tour Issue 18, Aldila Tour Blue 7X
    Ping G410 19 hybrid, Tensai Blue 8TX
    TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

• scottb15scottb15 Members Posts: 286 ✭✭✭✭
    770s felt very head heavy to me
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 913 FD 15
    Titleist 913 H 21
    Taylormade CB Irons 4-9
    Vokey SM5 48-2/50
    Vokey SM4 54/60
    Nike Method Proto 006
    Titleist NXT Tour S[/font]
  • cadman88cadman88 Advanced Member Buffalo / Rochester, NYMembers Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My P770's are 4-PW, AW and were custom built with DG 120 Tour Issue S400's and since I've only played 27 holes this season due to knee surgery 10 weeks ago, and 16 PT sessions. I can honestly say that these are the best fit irons for me. So much so, that I've sold off three sets of irons already as I know I won't be looking back. I will add that I also bought a P790 UDI 2, then sold it unhit as I didn't want to try an mess with the low loft, I now have a P790 3 iron and P790 4 iron, and I'll be selling those off as well. I just find that I don't have any issues hitting the P770 4 iron, so really no need to keep any of the P790's. I did pick up a M3 Rescue over the weekend as I found it worked better for my distances.
    • Ping G30 LS 10.5°, Tour AD BB6x
    • Taylormade M3 3HL, Tensei Blue 75x
    • Taylormade M3 5/19°, Tensei Blue 75x
    • Taylormade M3 Rescue 4/21° @ 22.5°, Tensei Blue 80HYs
    • 2019 Cobra King Forged MB 5-PW, GW, KBS $-Taper 120s
    • Taylormade Hi-Toe 56°, Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400
    • Taylormade Hi-Toe 60°, Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400
    • Scotty Cameron GoLo 3 35"
    cadman88 wrote:

My P770's are 4-PW, AW and were custom built with DG 120 Tour Issue S400's and since I've only played 27 holes this season due to knee surgery 10 weeks ago, and 16 PT sessions. I can honestly say that these are the best fit irons for me. So much so, that I've sold off three sets of irons already as I know I won't be looking back. I will add that I also bought a P790 UDI 2, then sold it unhit as I didn't want to try an mess with the low loft, I now have a P790 3 iron and P790 4 iron, and I'll be selling those off as well. I just find that I don't have any issues hitting the P770 4 iron, so really no need to keep any of the P790's. I did pick up a M3 Rescue over the weekend as I found it worked better for my distances.

I agree with everything you said, except the hybrid. I got rid of my all my P790's too and I actually love the P770 4 iron too, it is much more consistent in distance and holds the greens where the P790 is a rocket launcher that might be fine off the tee, but is very inconsistent with distances when hit to a green. I sent my RBZ Stage 2 hybrid, driver and 3w to Continental Golf and had them made matter black and it blew away the M3's.
    WITB in 2018
    Putter:
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

cadman88 wrote:

I agree with everything you said, except the hybrid. I got rid of my all my P790's too and I actually love the P770 4 iron too, it is much more consistent in distance and holds the greens where the P790 is a rocket launcher that might be fine off the tee, but is very inconsistent with distances when hit to a green. I sent my RBZ Stage 2 hybrid, driver and 3w to Continental Golf and had them made matter black and it blew away the M3's.

What shafts are you using in woods and hybrid? Asking for a friend

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file