No Catchy Nickname's bag of new and old

No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,207 ✭✭
With some new irons and a new driver, I thought it was time to post a WiTB.

A bit about me. My driver SS is about 107-108mph, and I'm a digger who's trying to recover.

I'm a bit of a 'ho for older irons, and I'll try to get round to posting some of my irons from the 80s and 90s. The Ping driver has a stock Tour 65S. At the fitting, I knew pretty quickly it was the right shaft for me, though I tried others. The R9 has a stock Motore X flex. It's really light (62g), but relatively stable. I picked it up second hand, but it's the club that's been in my bag the longest.

The new setup:

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
Tagged:

Comments

• DE-ILLINIDE-ILLINI Members Posts: 328 ✭✭
    edited Oct 10, 2017 #2
    That is a great looking bag. Nice mix of old and new.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Driver: Taylormade M3
    3W: Ping G400
    3H & 4H: Cobra Baffler
    5 - SW: Ping G25
    58*: Cleveland CBX
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
  • beluga99beluga99 I can't avenge my partner's death with this pea shooter Members Posts: 901 ✭✭
    Yep, sweet bag. How do you find playing golf in Japan? Is it expensive since real estate is at a premium? I suspect 24 hour driving ranges would also be common and fairly popular.
    G400
    917 F2
    Anser 18 + 23
    Fli-Hi
    919T 6-P
    Glide 51, 56, 60 ES
    Odyssey
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,207 ✭✭
    beluga99 wrote:

Yep, sweet bag. How do you find playing golf in Japan? Is it expensive since real estate is at a premium? I suspect 24 hour driving ranges would also be common and fairly popular.

It's not cheap. I'm a long way from Tokyo, where golf can get very expensive very quickly, but even so golf on a weekday around here will run you about $65~70, and on a weekend around $130. There are some cheaper courses, but they are over an hour's drive on the expressway, which means you have to pay a toll. Add the toll to the green fee, and you might as well stay local.

There aren't any 24-hour driving ranges near me, most of them close at 10pm. That's probably the worst thing about golf here: pretty much all the practice facilities are mats, not grass.

• beluga99beluga99 I can't avenge my partner's death with this pea shooter Members Posts: 901 ✭✭
    A couple of friends are based in Singapore and Hong Kong, and they lament the fact it's not easy to just pick up the bag and go and play a few holes. Although when they catch a ferry out to the islands and play on nice courses with attractive "caddies" and a lot of cold beer, it does sound very appealing!
    G400
    917 F2
    Anser 18 + 23
    Fli-Hi
    919T 6-P
    Glide 51, 56, 60 ES
    Odyssey
    beluga99 wrote:

A couple of friends are based in Singapore and Hong Kong, and they lament the fact it's not easy to just pick up the bag and go and play a few holes. Although when they catch a ferry out to the islands and play on nice courses with attractive "caddies" and a lot of cold beer, it does sound very appealing!

Yep, the idea of just popping to the course for a quick 9 does not seem to exist here.

Also, when I played in Britain, golf was free if you were a member of that course/club. Here, you become a member and you still have to pay a green fee, it's just less than the guests. I don't know if there are any exceptions to that in Japan.

I imagine from Singapore, Malaysia is relatively easy to get to golf. Though I'm not sure they would have the--ahem--attractive "caddies."

• CarpCarp Members Posts: 47
    Damm it's hard to kick out those V-steels!
    jus chillin
    Carp wrote:

Damm it's hard to kick out those V-steels!

The V-steel 7w is a really solid performer. It feels great, and with the shaft I get the shot shape and distance I want from it.

I'm not sure about the 4w. Still tinkering with that. At the moment, the R9 has the spot. Though I should take a look at some other offerings. The Ping G400 fairways and some cobra offerings have my eye.

• chriswrightstuffchriswrightstuff UKMembers Posts: 384 ✭✭
    Those Mizuno irons are some of the best looking clubs I've ever seen, great addition ����
    Taylormade M5 - Tour AD GP 7X black edition
    Taylormade M3 15* - Kai'li 80X
    Titleist 718 AP3 3 - 4, 718 AP2 5-pw, - Project X 6.5
    Vokey SM7 50F, 55M, 60D - Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

WITB Link[/font]
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers Posts: 1,572 ✭✭
    Love the bag.

Always loved Roger's wedges. Played a few different models in the past.

Not sure why you'd want to hurt your scores with those **** blades :-P

Titleist TS2
    Titleist 718 MB 5-PW
    Taylormade MG 52 SB-09 | 56 SB-12 | 60 SB-10
    Callaway PM Grind 19 64.10
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour BXS

• sleepy_augustosleepy_augusto Members Posts: 942
    Nice set, and excellent headcover!

Nice set, and excellent headcover!

Thanks. I assume you're referring to my Kumamon headcover? It's a favourite of mine.

• HoosierHacker89HoosierHacker89 Members Posts: 2,644 ✭✭
    I really like this set up dude! great job
    Titleist 910 D3
    R7 steel 4 wood
    Cleveland Ta 5 3-P
    Cleveland 588 51/56
    Odyssey white hot 2 ball

I really like this set up dude! great job

Thank you!

• williamsnrbwilliamsnrb The Golf Doctor Members Posts: 1,616
    Those irons are so sweet, man. I feel like I'll end up with a set eventually. They are nearly perfect irons, IMO.
    917D2 9.5 Rogue Black
    917F 15 Diamana Blue
    818H2 19 Tensei Blue
    Mizuno MP33 3-9
    Vokey SM6 48
    Vokey SM5 54 and 60
    Custom Scotty Newport 2
    or
    Scotty X5R
    Recently, I've decided to play a bit of persimmon golf as well. I mainly aimed for an Eighties' bag, which is when I took up the game, but the driver is later (mid nineties, I think), I don't know about the 4w, and the 2w is actually from the mid-Fifties. Also, I have no idea about the putter. I picked it up in a "recycle" shop for peanuts, but it feels really nice. I also have a Wilson TPA XVIII for this bag as well. I have owned the BeCu L-wedge hiding away there since I was a junior. The rest of the clubs were bought this year.

• BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,301 ✭✭

Recently, I've decided to play a bit of persimmon golf as well. I mainly aimed for an Eighties' bag, which is when I took up the game, but the driver is later (mid nineties, I think), I don't know about the 4w, and the 2w is actually from the mid-Fifties. Also, I have no idea about the putter. I picked it up in a "recycle" shop for peanuts, but it feels really nice. I also have a Wilson TPA XVIII for this bag as well. I have owned the BeCu L-wedge hiding away there since I was a junior. The rest of the clubs were bought this year.

Trust me you will like the Mac 2 wood--- I actually put my Muirfields in the front line bag for this week but we have really gotten nasty cold wet weather this weekend so no golf. Really went retro in the wedge department dug out a 65 Wilson Staff Triple Duty. Did practice with the wedge last Sunday afternoon after church and got it weighted up for me as you know from my posts I like extremely heavy sand wedges. Oh well hopefully next weekend
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,249 ✭✭
    Dig it, love every picture in this thread image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,857 ✭✭
    great bag and set up sir

I think you need two things:

- the sushi headcover from Robert Mark Golf

- lime green paintfill on the wedges to match your bag
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • voxshallvoxshall Members Posts: 5
    Your bag is pretty much, bang on what I wish mine was ha ha
    cardoustie wrote:

great bag and set up sir

I think you need two things:

- the sushi headcover from Robert Mark Golf

- lime green paintfill on the wedges to match your bag

Just had a look at that head cover... image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />

The bag has changed since that picture. The inner tube was knackered somehow and the **** thing kept falling over. The new one can be just about seen in the persimmon setup. It's a Honma bag, with a gimmicky strap that works like a seatbelt: pull it out to lift the bag up, then when you put the bag down, the strap automatically retracts for storage. I honestly don't see the point of it, but it's a good solid bag otherwise with lots of storage.

voxshall wrote:

Your bag is pretty much, bang on what I wish mine was ha ha

Hey, you've got Miuras in yours, you're not doing too badly! And the Hiro Matsumoto putter is top notch. Plus you have a V-steel in there. Get the right shaft for that, then enjoy the sweet, sweet feel of a nutted V-steel.

I will say that I prefer the G400 over the G driver, mainly just because of the acoustics. I seriously considered going for the G earlier this year and dropping the G20 which I bagged for about 5 years, but I couldn't get over how loud the G was. When I hit the G400, I knew it was time to say goodbye to old faithful G20 at last *sob*.

• PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,249 ✭✭
    How is the distance gap between the 7 wood and the 4 iron. Seems like those should be pretty close....
    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum

How is the distance gap between the 7 wood and the 4 iron. Seems like those should be pretty close....

The 7w is long. In fact, it is pushing up rather than down in terms of gapping, as it's forcing the 4w out for a strong 3w that will mainly be used off the tee. I've got about a 20y gap between the 4i and 7w, maybe more. That spot is actually the hardest I have to fill, and I have tried all sorts of combinations. If I take out a wedge and stick in a 3i, it's filled pretty well, but to be honest, there aren't many times I really need to worry about it. Maybe once every 3 rounds.

I recently bought a V-steel 9w (original version) to help fill the 7w-4i gap, but a 24* hybrid in place of the 4i might be the best option.

• nsgolfer17nsgolfer17 Club Hoe Members Posts: 223 ✭✭

The 7w is long. In fact, it is pushing up rather than down in terms of gapping, as it's forcing the 4w out for a strong 3w that will mainly be used off the tee. I've got about a 20y gap between the 4i and 7w, maybe more. That spot is actually the hardest I have to fill, and I have tried all sorts of combinations. If I take out a wedge and stick in a 3i, it's filled pretty well, but to be honest, there aren't many times I really need to worry about it. Maybe once every 3 rounds.

I recently bought a V-steel 9w (original version) to help fill the 7w-4i gap, but a 24* hybrid in place of the 4i might be the best option.

Get a 4 iron in the Fli Hi MP18 they're sweet!
    WITB 4/23/19
    Driver: Taylormade M6 W/ Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 63X
    3 Wood: PXG 0341X GEN 2 W/ Project X Evenflow Blue HANDCRAFTED 75g 6.5
    3 Iron: PXG 0311X GEN 2 W/ KBS TOUR HYBRID PROTOTYPE 95X
    4-PW: Ping I210 W/ Project X LZ 125g 6.5
    52,56,60: Taylormade Milled Grind Black W/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 
    Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 34"
    nsgolfer17 wrote:

I have demoed one, and really liked it. In fact, I was thinking about a #4 and maybe even a #2. Until recently I had a Honma TW-U #4, but I found I was just using the normal 4i so I sold it. Still have the #3 that can be seen in some of the pictures at the top. But recently I've been thinking that for 215-225y, a steel shafted 24* hybrid would be best.

beluga99 wrote:

Yep, the idea of just popping to the course for a quick 9 does not seem to exist here.

Also, when I played in Britain, golf was free if you were a member of that course/club. Here, you become a member and you still have to pay a green fee, it's just less than the guests. I don't know if there are any exceptions to that in Japan.

I imagine from Singapore, Malaysia is relatively easy to get to golf. Though I'm not sure they would have the--ahem--attractive "caddies."
    It is mostly the same way here with memberships you pay greens fees. I have done something different for the coming year. I had won a free membership to a group of courses so I activated that and we still pay greens fees but at a reduced rate. Down here you hardly see set greens fees posted because a lot depends on what package plan folks visited and booked on.

nsgolfer17 wrote:

I have demoed one, and really liked it. In fact, I was thinking about a #4 and maybe even a #2. Until recently I had a Honma TW-U #4, but I found I was just using the normal 4i so I sold it. Still have the #3 that can be seen in some of the pictures at the top. But recently I've been thinking that for 215-225y, a steel shafted 24* hybrid would be best.
    I sorta like the 24 hybrid myself. I had been playing an old TM early Rescue but found an Adams last week that I hit good on the range. We will see how that goes but I always have my V-Steel 7&9 woods just in case
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green MichiganMembers Posts: 4,410 ✭✭
    edited Dec 13, 2017 #29
    Nice bags Catchy, especially the classic bag of wood and steel. I've come to enjoy reading your exploits with golf implements.

I've been contemplating assembling a classic bag of MacGregors. To stand alongside the Hogans. Have grown rather infatuated with Muirfields. If memory serves, you have both Muirfields and Muirfield 20th's? If you had to pick one, and only one, which would you choose? Or are they similar enough that it doesn't make much difference. A decision made based on condition and price between the two. Depending on what I find, would probably perform a reshaft to my preferred weight and length.

Have a M/T M43 2 wood and M/T T.A. 693 5 wood blocks to cover that end of the bag. Thinking 5 - PW of whatever Muirfields. Plethora of wedges to pick from. And the Muirfield putter to place into service. Just a fun bag of MacGregors to play on occasion. You know, something different. TIA.

You now what I think of the V-Steels. Big fan. They've kicked to the curb all other fairway metals and hybrids in the modern bag. The 9 is very easy to hit, versatile, and fills the distance requirement that I'm after perfectly. But that's just me, with my less than perfect "old guy" swing.

Edit add: Now I read that you've come into a set of TM-92's. You've got a problem there mate. Ha!! Look forward to the pics.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
    BIG STU wrote:

beluga99 wrote:

It is mostly the same way here with memberships you pay greens fees. I have done something different for the coming year. I had won a free membership to a group of courses so I activated that and we still pay greens fees but at a reduced rate. Down here you hardly see set greens fees posted because a lot depends on what package plan folks visited and booked on.

Really? That surprised me, as I always thought the US would have a similar system to the UK. I suspect, then, that Japan's membership/green-fee system is somewhat influenced by the US.

I think the UK is changing a bit, as a club my dad joined as a social member was offering several different types of membership. When I was a junior, there were only two types of membership for adult males: Full and Five-day (reduced green-fee on weekends). Full meant full playing privileges. Ladies had a reduced membership, and had priority on Tuesdays (they hated us juniors playing on Tuesdays in the holidays!). The course my Dad joined did away with a special Ladies's fee, and seemed to basically offer three or four different types of adult membership according to when members wanted to play. Not a bad system, especially as with more women working, having Tuesday as Ladies' Day is a bit anachronistic. Thinking about it, it was already anachronistic even in the Eighties.

BIG STU wrote:

[I sorta like the 24 hybrid myself. I had been playing an old TM early Rescue but found an Adams last week that I hit good on the range. We will see how that goes but I always have my V-Steel 7&9 woods just in case

I am also coming around to the hybrid. Just easier to hit more consistently that a 4i, and the higher ball flight should help the ball stop on the greens. The hybrid would certainly be easier to hit in the colder months when the grass is dormant and straw-like here.

But I also need to get the V-steel 9w out on the course and see how that goes. From what I've seen on the range, it's easy enough to hit, but does it ever fly high!