Tiger Woods WITB 2017

Comments

• dfegan358dfegan358 Members Posts: 96
    Milled grind wedges at Hero?

Surely he could have a set of wedges to his grind spec sorted by now

If he still has Nike wedges at Hero, he may not be the biggest fan of the TM wedges on offer
  • fillwelixfillwelix Members Posts: 1,271 ✭✭
    edited Nov 1, 2017 #183
    dfegan358 wrote:

Milled grind wedges at Hero?

Surely he could have a set of wedges to his grind spec sorted by now

If he still has Nike wedges at Hero, he may not be the biggest fan of the TM wedges on offer

Could go either way IMO, since the surgery he's had the most time to chip so he conceivably has had the most time to practice with TM wedges as opposed to their irons, but he may still want to tee it up with clubs he's familiar with (irons, wedges, putter) because it's his first tourny in a while.

My guess is he can basically play whatever he wants until the masters, which is when TM will require him to play 13 TM clubs
    WITB
    Taylormade M3 Speeder Evo IV 565 X
    Taylormade M2 2016 3HL HZRDUS Black 75g S
    Mizuno MP33 3i Steelfiber i110 
    Taylormade P770 4i-5i Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade P730 6-PW Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade MG 52 KBS Tour-V 130 S
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 & 64 KBS Hi Rev Wedge
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,497 ✭✭
    fillwelix wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

DRRicks wrote:

Does Tiger even have a full bag contract with TM? He's already using a bridgestone ball so i'm thinking it's only the woods will be TM.

All articles stated his deal was for 13 clubs.

The question is does Tiger have to play TaylorMade clubs for non-PGA Tour events or even if he does, is TaylorMade giving him so leeway until next year

That's my guess, they're giving him some leeway until the next calendar year. They probably have a hard stop for him at Augusta, where he'll have to be playing TM clubs at The Masters.

The hard stop would have to be his first tournament next year. He’d have three months to get used to them.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • JimvJimv Members Posts: 608 ✭✭
    sandy wrote:

Jimv wrote:

Bomber_ wrote:

cvhookem63 wrote:

Honestly, they couldn't just build him a set of the new blades and put "Tiger Proto" on it? I'm sorry but this is just one of several reasons why this guy is just hard to like. Rory said in that recent podcast "I really don't want to mess with all of that prototype stuff. I don't need something made especially for me. Just give me something that works and I'll play it." Well said.

You must not have been following Tiger's equipment very closely then. This is not new. Everything he had from Nike was custom built just for him (lower cc head driver with glued hosel and irons made specifically for him) and it took A LOT to get him to switch to any type of new equipment. He's hardly the only Tour player that treats his equipment this way either. How much custom Callaway equipment has Phil had made specifically for him over the years?

But Tiger is "hard to like", so additional scrutiny needs to be applied.

Hard to like? I love Tiger. It was a privalge to be alive and watch him play golf the way he did. He held the titles to all four majors at one time. Who else can say that..........

The shots he hit..... The puts he made.... Him and Rocco on Monday playoff for US Open. Who really worked that day?

Bobby Jones held all the major titles in the same year as an amateur in 1930.

Not taking anything away from Bobby, but two of his majors were the Britsh and US Amatures, which are replaced today with the Masters and the PGA.
  • DRRicksDRRicks Banned Posts: 2,444 ✭✭

Do you really think TM can tell him what to do.? I mean. If he doesn't play TM irons at the hero and they try to reprimand him for it he can alwasy say " I'm not playing junk " which makes them look terrible. Sure it may cost him money. But when you're dealing with someone who has it to blow. You learn to be careful how you handle them. TM will not win a equipment contract battle with tiger. Not in the court of public opinion. They know this and will bow to whatever he wants because of it.

If he signed a contract, yes.
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,765 ✭✭
    We need the higher ups at TM to post some details in this thread... April is a long time away...
  • PigemsPigems Members Posts: 10,888 ✭✭
    DRRicks wrote:

Do you really think TM can tell him what to do.? I mean. If he doesn't play TM irons at the hero and they try to reprimand him for it he can alwasy say " I'm not playing junk " which makes them look terrible. Sure it may cost him money. But when you're dealing with someone who has it to blow. You learn to be careful how you handle them. TM will not win a equipment contract battle with tiger. Not in the court of public opinion. They know this and will bow to whatever he wants because of it.

I’d be willing to bet Tiger made sure he had outs built into it.
    910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
    910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
    910h 20* Hybrid - S400
    712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
    SM5 51*, 55*- S300
    TVD 59* M - S300
    Studio Select NP2
  • kerila07kerila07 Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Probably safe to say that Taylormade is being cautious why would they want to sink more money into marketing and development if he ends up only playing in his charity outings. Doubt they will force anything on him and see how it goes
    kerila07 wrote:

Probably safe to say that Taylormade is being cautious why would they want to sink more money into marketing and development if he ends up only playing in his charity outings. Doubt they will force anything on him and see how it goes

While true, reports are that Tiger’s contract with TaylorMade was heavily dependent on the number of tournaments he plays. Tiger probably got very little money from TaylorMade last year.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,043 ✭✭
    DRRicks wrote:

So you think TM would sue tiger if he played different irons and wedges until they got him some that suited ? No chance. Would be suicide.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

• Findog88Findog88 Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Pretty sure he's going to be using irons that are labelled TM. Those TGR protos are going to be "produced" by TM one way or another. And I'm relatively certain that they will have wedges for him built to his specs that he will be using. He's going to be using 13 clubs labelled TM, regardless of what they actually are. And the average joe won't know the difference.
  • DRRicksDRRicks Banned Posts: 2,444 ✭✭

DRRicks wrote:

So you think TM would sue tiger if he played different irons and wedges until they got him some that suited ? No chance. Would be suicide.

No, I don’t think it would be necessary. TW knows how contracts work...and only him and TM know what it states. But, if it’s required of him to have TM clubs in play, he will. It’s really that simple.
  • kerila07kerila07 Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:
    kerila07 wrote:

While true, reports are that Tiger’s contract with TaylorMade was heavily dependent on the number of tournaments he plays. Tiger probably got very little money from TaylorMade last year.

The guy has made over a billion dollars I'm guessing the value of the contract is meaningless to him since this is probably his last chance I'm sure he will do whatever he wants to.
  • thedurtydurdenthedurtydurden Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    I haven't looked back at any of the articles, but I believe I remember reading him saying basically something like he "was working with TM on making irons" and he would "put them in the bag when they met his requirements" so who knows when that would be. That basically told me there was no timeline for the clubs to go in the bag, but they would be there eventually.

I could be wrong, but that's a very Tiger-clause type of thing in a contract.
    Tour Issue M2 Speeder Evo 2.0 Tour Spec 661X
    Titleist 917 F2 15 Speeder 757X
    Titleist 816 H2 19 Diamana S+ 90X
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 22 TIX100 AMT
    Ben Hogan FW15 26-46 TIX100 AMT
    Cobra PUR 50, 55, 60 Versatile
    Scotty Cameron
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,043 ✭✭
    DRRicks wrote:

DRRicks wrote:

No, I don’t think it would be necessary. TW knows how contracts work...and only him and TM know what it states. But, if it’s required of him to have TM clubs in play, he will. It’s really that simple.

Lol. Guess we will see soon enough.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

kerila07 wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:
    kerila07 wrote:

The guy has made over a billion dollars I'm guessing the value of the contract is meaningless to him since this is probably his last chance I'm sure he will do whatever he wants to.

While the monetary value might have been little because he was hurt and not a huge impact on his net worth, Tiger still picks the sponsors that pay the most because his pride says he must. “I’m Tiger Woods and I command the big $ still.” Why else would he sign an iron and wedge deal with TaylorMade when he didn’t care for what they currently had? Why did he take the money and fly to Dubai last year? Tiger’s ego.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
    TM will produce a LE set of TM/TW blades like Titleist did years ago. I’ll be one of the stupid ones who buy them too...
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,711 ✭✭
    Findog88 wrote:

Pretty sure he's going to be using irons that are labelled TM. Those TGR protos are going to be "produced" by TM one way or another. And I'm relatively certain that they will have wedges for him built to his specs that he will be using. He's going to be using 13 clubs labelled TM, regardless of what they actually are. And the average joe won't know the difference.

With computerized milling machines, replicating Tiger's irons and wedges would not be overly difficult.
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17 Jet Setter 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,173 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:

Findog88 wrote:

With computerized milling machines, replicating Tiger's irons and wedges would not be overly difficult.

Have you heard the story about his putter?
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
    Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
    Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
    Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
    noodle3872 wrote:

Findog88 wrote:

Bob Parsons completely agrees
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,388 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:

Findog88 wrote:

They'll just subcontract it out to Mike Taylor
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • tbrumbeloe13tbrumbeloe13 GeorgiaMembers Posts: 706 ✭✭
    BottleCap wrote:
    noodle3872 wrote:

Findog88 wrote:

They'll just subcontract it out to Mike Taylor
    TM have already been in contact with Mike Taylor. Don’t remember exactly where I saw it, might have been Tomo on Twitter. That was a couple months ago. Apparently, they were consulting with MT to talk about Tiger’s preferences, etc. Don’t think clubs were being produced yet.
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,622 ✭✭
    I foresee the TGR (Nike) blades in play.

(And they look sweeeeet and soft.)
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • North Shore Golfer21North Shore Golfer21 Members Posts: 318 ✭✭
    So are the Nike VR Pro blades.
    Bring on the TM/TGR blades...
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,622 ✭✭

So are the Nike VR Pro blades.

The TGR irons look more "meaty"...MP-5 style. Perhaps slightly more forgiveness due to the thicker back.
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • DickieThonDickieThon Members Posts: 1,100 ✭✭
    Pretty sure he said that when he signed with TaylorMade he was going to be involved with designing a set. So at least to me that means he’s probably got TM building a set that looks like all the other irons he’s liked over the years.
    Read an article yesterday, basically there has been no discussion at all between Tiger and Taylormade on irons yet. He hasn't approached them and it's up to him to initiate. Got the impression from the article there was a feeling it was all a bit too quiet on the Tiger and Taylormade advertising/branding front.

Maybe he will just TGR Nike irons and TM woods for the next while. Wouldn't surprise me. I am a little surprised TM wouldn't have been pushing to get him irons to his spec as soon as possible and get them in the bag for hero
  • SigmaKyle31987SigmaKyle31987 TW's #1 Fan! Members Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Wonder if he’ll still have his Nike Wedges in the bag in a couple weeks or if he’ll have TGR Wedges instead?
    Be interesting. I can understand why he hasn't changed full set of irons by the time Hero comes around, I feel it's strange if he will still have Nike wedges! Been chipping for a while now so has had plenty of time to dial in TM wedges in his back yard.

Are TM not going to put some pressure on TW to play their clubs after signing him?