2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Matchplay deadline extension rules & etiquette

The club I play at has a summer 4ball knockout, honours board competition. The competition rules say the final should be played by the 3rd week of August. However, due to the large number of entries this year it required 7 rounds, so the deadline for the final was set at 25th September.Players should offer two weekdays and 2 weekend days to play.

My partner and I won our semi-final in mid August, and had to wait until the first week in September to find out our final opponents. I contacted them promptly to arrange the final, however they told me that one of them was injured and needed a back operation. They requested an extension to the deadline.

I asked our Director of Golf if it was ok to extend the deadline, and if so what would he consider a reasonable extension as we wanted to play the final rather than win by default. After speaking to the injured player, he informed me that taking into account the injury, the condition of the course and the available light (UK clocks go back on 29th October) the middle of October was a fair compromise.

I replied to our opponents on 12th September to say we would agree to an extension, and that the revised deadline would be 15th October, and extension of almost 3 weeks. Due to the diminishing light and work commitments, I proposed Sat 14th or Sunday 15th as suitable dates. I never got a reply.

Then on 4th October I get an email from the Director of golf to say that the deadline has been changed to 31st October. About an hour later I get an email from our opponents offering dates on 28th-31st October. Now I always understood that the etiquette was that any request to extend the deadline should be made to your opponents. I cannot make any of the dates proposed - sunset is at 4.42pm on Sunday 29th, so there is no way to play after work, which is what is possible with a summer competition. I cannot play on any weekdays now as I have no holiday that I can take. I am very hacked off that there was no consultation with me or my partner about extending the deadline for a second time, I feel our opponents displayed very bad etiquette by not doing so, and the Director of golf has only listened to one of the teams without taking into account the other team. If we have not offered a further extension, should our offer of 15th October still stand?

Grateful to hear any opinions on this.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The club I play at has a summer 4ball knockout, honours board competition. The competition rules say the final should be played by the 3rd week of August. However, due to the large number of entries this year it required 7 rounds, so the deadline for the final was set at 25th September.Players should offer two weekdays and 2 weekend days to play.

My partner and I won our semi-final in mid August, and had to wait until the first week in September to find out our final opponents. I contacted them promptly to arrange the final, however they told me that one of them was injured and needed a back operation. They requested an extension to the deadline.

I asked our Director of Golf if it was ok to extend the deadline, and if so what would he consider a reasonable extension as we wanted to play the final rather than win by default. After speaking to the injured player, he informed me that taking into account the injury, the condition of the course and the available light (UK clocks go back on 29th October) the middle of October was a fair compromise.

I replied to our opponents on 12th September to say we would agree to an extension, and that the revised deadline would be 15th October, and extension of almost 3 weeks. Due to the diminishing light and work commitments, I proposed Sat 14th or Sunday 15th as suitable dates. I never got a reply.

Then on 4th October I get an email from the Director of golf to say that the deadline has been changed to 31st October. About an hour later I get an email from our opponents offering dates on 28th-31st October. Now I always understood that the etiquette was that any request to extend the deadline should be made to your opponents. I cannot make any of the dates proposed - sunset is at 4.42pm on Sunday 29th, so there is no way to play after work, which is what is possible with a summer competition. I cannot play on any weekdays now as I have no holiday that I can take. I am very hacked off that there was no consultation with me or my partner about extending the deadline for a second time, I feel our opponents displayed very bad etiquette by not doing so, and the Director of golf has only listened to one of the teams without taking into account the other team. If we have not offered a further extension, should our offer of 15th October still stand?

Grateful to hear any opinions on this.

IMO the agreed upon extension should stand unless you agree otherwise. But neither my opinion nor yours may matter.

1) If I were you I'd edit down your post into an email to the Director, and send it copying the opponents. Your case is clear, make him agree with you or come right out and tell you that you lose. Maybe your opponents might simply concede the match given the awkwardness.

2) In my club I have a hard enough time getting people to agree to play by the Rules of Golf -- the subjective Committee stuff like you're describing is hell. There is always someone who sincerely wants to be "nice" to the person making a request -- who doesn't realize that being "nice" to one person in front of you often hurts another unseen player.

I hope you'll tell us what happens.

I assume your opponents couldn't play on the dates you listed or wanted extra time to convalesce so they asked the Director to extend the deadline an extra 2 weeks. Why are you beholden to a arbitrary deadline that has already been moved thrice. Sounds like you need to revise the competition rules for next year. Instead of agreeing to the middle of October, the Director should have declared a firm date. Sounds like that didn't happen. Do you work all 4 of the dates offered?

no good deed goes unpunished

It would have been best to reply immediately on October 4. I would still do it now as better late than never. Just repeat the sequence you outlined above. That you were being nice guys and being very accommodating in extending the deadline after consulting with him (Director). Say the same courtesy was not extended to you and that you cannot make any of those dates. The agreed upon deadline of Oct 15 must stand. I would also copy leadership at the club.

Most clubs have issues with four-ball match play and meeting deadlines. I have seen this for 20+ years at my club both as a competitor and as a club leader. It is typically the same problem guys/teams. It often leads to an increase in rules. Leadership needs to be firm.

Here is one we put in: If you cannot play matches on the weekends - do not sign up.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

This kind of baggery used to happen all the time with our men's league playoffs until they made it a hard deadline. If you couldnt make it, you forfeit.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I assume your opponents couldn't play on the dates you listed or wanted extra time to convalesce so they asked the Director to extend the deadline an extra 2 weeks. Why are you beholden to a arbitrary deadline that has already been moved thrice. Sounds like you need to revise the competition rules for next year. Instead of agreeing to the middle of October, the Director should have declared a firm date. Sounds like that didn't happen. Do you work all 4 of the dates offered?

no good deed goes unpunished

I assume that the opponents needed more time to convalesce, although they didn't contact us to ask. Of the four dates they have proposed, one is a day I am visiting my Mum who is dying. The Sunday is unavailable because there is a club competition on with a shotgun start, so the course is busy. But the point is, what should have been a summer competition is now delayed by so long that there are lots of complications due to lack of light. There was a complete lack of courtesy by not even asking us. I think the original extension was reasonable, but now feel that we have been disadvantaged - I can't get to the course to practice, it is months since we played our semi-final, and course conditions will now be very different (winter rules). I can't help feeling there is some gamesmanship at play and they are using this to get in our heads.

I would be ready for this if you respond firmly: that the match will be played this weekend. And be more determined than ever to play well.

Newport 2.5

Oct. 4 to now seems a long time not to have already inquired and gotten the matter figured out.

I replied to the Director of golf and our opponents, to say that I am unhappy about the situation, and believe the deadline of 15th Oct should stand. His reply stated that he was saddened that it had come to this and he was referring the matter to the Competition Secretary. The competition secretary has offered to discuss it on 15th! So in other words, the deadline we offered has now been ignored. And I thought I played golf for enjoyment!

Oct. 4 to now seems a long time not to have already inquired and gotten the matter figured out.

I replied to the Director of golf and our opponents, to say that I am unhappy about the situation, and believe the deadline of 15th Oct should stand. His reply stated that he was saddened that it had come to this and he was referring the matter to the Competition Secretary. The competition secretary has offered to discuss it on 15th! So in other words, the deadline we offered has now been ignored. And I thought I played golf for enjoyment!

Not a timely decision. Poor leadership. Sounds like the other guys have influence with the leadership? Good luck with these guys.

So sorry to hear about your mother.

Thoughts and prayers,

Mark

Newport 2.5

Not a timely decision. Poor leadership. Sounds like the other guys have influence with the leadership? Good luck with these guys.

So sorry to hear about your mother.

Thoughts and prayers,

Mark

Thanks Mark

Whilst I admire your desire to not win by default, this is the unfortunate outcome of having a non clearly defined moving deadline.

I suspect there’s little you can do than discuss it as planned, and if you don’t like the outcome, let it go, or consider writing formally to the committee, or bring it up at your agm

Deadlines should be fixed, and many clubs have an actual finals day, ie a date on which the final must be played ( not a deadline)

Congrats on getting this far

This kind of baggery used to happen all the time with our men's league playoffs until they made it a hard deadline. If you couldnt make it, you forfeit.

I swear it seems like this is some new form of gamesmanship as of late (at least to me). Make it a complete PITA to get the match scheduled, and hope your opponents get too riled up to play well.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

This is from the R&A on the topic of Golf Etiquette...seems applicable here.

Golf Etiquette

Etiquette is an integral part of the game, defining golf's core values . It describes the manner in which the game of golf should be played to ensure all players gain maximum enjoyment.

In short, it’s about “respect”:

Respect for the course – leave the course as you would like to find it by repairing pitch-marks, replacing divots and raking bunkers

Respect for your fellow players – be sportsmanlike and polite, stay by the green to watch them hole out, and avoid distracting them

Respect for the game – by knowing the Rules and etiquette of golf

• 3 weeks later...

Can you please share with us what happened in your case?

I am very curious. I hope a satisfactory resolution was reached.

Thanks,

Mark

Newport 2.5

Can you please share with us what happened in your case?

I am very curious. I hope a satisfactory resolution was reached.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi guys, well we agreed to play on Sunday 29th Oct - the Competition secretary met with us to broker a date. So we finally arrived to play the match 5 weeks after the deadline. The opponent with the bad back used a buggy, and appeared to have great diffciculty walking, but didn't seem to have any diffficulty at all swinging a golf club, including driving the green on a par 4! Neither my partner nor me played well, and we lost 4&3 - the opponents played well, but I can now say that I have seen Lazarus ;-).