Skytrak Long Drive

clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are.Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
edited Oct 13, 2017 in Long Driver's Lab #1
I am a long time forum prowler, first time poster.



I have scoured the internet for some information and I hope to test this for myself but I thought this forum might net me some good information.



I own a Skytrak and I really enjoy it. Its very fun to practice on, simple to use, easy to trasport and all that good stuff. Its accuracy has been very good...up to a point.



I have done a few tests in the past but nothing really serious. I have tested it simultaniously against a Trackman twice, once with irons and once with Driver. With irons I get ball speed, spin, distance and all that jazz to match up closely with Trackman but once I start getting into higher ball speeds, it seems that particular parameter deviates more and more from what Trackman shows. For example, the one time I did a direct comparison with my driver, I got anywhere between 4-8 mph ball speed differences between Skytrak and Trackman. The Skytrak was always lower. The Trackman ball speeds for my comparison were upper 170s to mid 180s for reference.



My question to those of you that hit the long ball, have you ever hit on a Skytrak, do you own a Skytrak and did it give you ball speeds that seemed abnormally low? I am wondering if this phenomenon is just with my unit or if it is just a limitation of the Skytrak. If it is a limitation of the Skytrak hardware, then I wonder how much it is off at ball speeds nearer to 200 mph. I theorize its an exponential growth of error, but that is just a guess.
«1

Comments

  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,891 ✭✭
    While I don't have an answer for you, I just wanted to welcome you to the board!



    Interested in possible answers, since I wasn't smart enough to ask this question, and I think that it is a good point to answer.
    Pings from the beginning

    OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    augustgolf wrote:


    While I don't have an answer for you, I just wanted to welcome you to the board!



    Interested in possible answers, since I wasn't smart enough to ask this question, and I think that it is a good point to answer.




    Thanks for the warm welcome. I am really hoping to find an answer to this as "renting" my local Trackman for testing isn't cheap.
  • Jasonfish_02Jasonfish_02 Members Posts: 1,180
    Every device is different if that makes sense. I have only hit on a Skytrak once and didn’t really pay attention to my numbers. I will however say the data can still be used. You now know what your device reads in comparison to TM and can adjust accordingly
  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭


    Every device is different if that makes sense. I have only hit on a Skytrak once and didn’t really pay attention to my numbers. I will however say the data can still be used. You now know what your device reads in comparison to TM and can adjust accordingly




    Thank you for the reply. I guess I am trying to verify whether this phenomenon is unique to my unit and needs to be sent in for recalibration or if it is a problem due to the design of the Skytrak. I have some technical guesses as to why it might be limited by design but I won't get into that.
  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Wow, not a single person on here with high ball speed and experience with that on a Skytrak, I am surprised. Oh well, it was worth a shot, guess I will just have to spend the money and rent the Trackman for an hour or something to confirm my previous observations.
  • KomarmsKomarms Members Posts: 525 ✭✭
    I can attest. I have a skytrak and while the wedge and iron numbers are relatively close the driver numbers struggle to compare. I’m in the mid to high 170s in ballspeed on trackman and skytrak is sometimes 10 mph off. I don’t use it to hit many drivers indoors more to dial in wedge distances but I have had a similar problem to you as well not sure what it is
    Titleist TS3 8.5 - Tensei Orange 60TX
    Taylormade Tour Issue M2 3 wood - Blueboard 83X
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron - PXI 6.5
    Srixon Z745 4-9 - Dynamic Gold x100
    Titleist SM7 47, 51, 55, 69 - S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style 350 Newport 2
  • Harob11Harob11 Harob11 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    I have a SkyTrak that I'm actually trying to sell. I like the unit, it's definitely legit for the most part, especially for the price, I just don't use it. Anyway, I too noticed a difference in ball speeds compared to Trackman. Like you, I was significantly lower with SkyTrak. I can't say for sure, but perhaps you're correct with your assessment about exponential error.
    Drive 400 - Swing Faster. Drive Further. www.puredistancegolf.com/drive400
  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Awesome thank you for the helpful responses. Just an update,I checked Skytrak against a swing caddie and they agree more often than not up to about 160 mph ball speed. After that, it is often 2-5 less from what I observed. Seems to backup what I have seen before and what you guys have seen
  • SaskwatchSaskwatch Putting From The RoughMembers Posts: 533 ✭✭
    I own a Skytrak and I've noticed that ball speed numbers are progressively lower as the club lengthens. The driver and 3 wood show the most variance. Once I determined this difference I just take the date for what it is. Irons are really really close and with the longers clubs I'm most concerned with shot shape which Skytrak illustrates very well.



    Skytrak vs trackman isn't really a "fair" comparison based on the cost. On the same note, for the cost Skytrak is amazing.

    TS3 8.5º - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    915F 13.5º - Tensei Pro White 80TX
    915F 18º - Tensei Pro White 80TX Proto
    716CB 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    SM6 50º, 54º & 58º - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Big T Blade 33"
    ProV1x

    On Tap:
    718TMB 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100TX
    718TMB 2 Iron - Tour AD DI 95x
    716CB 2 Iron - KBS C-Taper 130X
    915H 18º - Kuro Kage TiNi HY 90TX

    Upcoming:
    DG X7 swap



  • cgrcgr Members Posts: 61
    I just recently got a Skytrak, and I can confirm that it doesn't measure well at high ball speeds. Driver for me doesn't recognize fade/draw very accurately, and definitely underestimates carry/ball speed. I have no problem carrying 270 in most conditions, but Skytrak frequently has my carry at like 240 or 250. It's **** frustrating. Irons register very accurately though image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • jerry3jerry3 ClubWRX Posts: 38 ClubWRX
    a lot of people have commented on the low ball speed / low carry numbers with driver, and according to many this is do to the indoor swing effect. I'm not sure if it is or if it isn't, but I gave up on hitting anything over 4 iron because it was so frustrating. I had a few days where Skytrak would read my speeds in the upper 160's, but 90% of the time I had trouble getting it to ready anything into the mid 150s.

    In the Bag:
    Rogue Subzero 9.5 (Diamana W 70x)
    Rogue Subzero 15 (Diamana W 80x)
    Srixon 765 (3-W Nippon 120x)
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 (50, 56, 60)
    Odyssey White Hot Marxman

  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    jerry3 wrote:


    a lot of people have commented on the low ball speed / low carry numbers with driver, and according to many this is do to the indoor swing effect. I'm not sure if it is or if it isn't, but I gave up on hitting anything over 4 iron because it was so frustrating. I had a few days where Skytrak would read my speeds in the upper 160's, but 90% of the time I had trouble getting it to ready anything into the mid 150s.




    That is definitely the case for some people, or dare I say most, but I have tested my Skytrak against a Trackman at the same time, at the same place and the Trackman was always higher ball speed wise. 2-8 mph higher is what I saw. Never at the speeds I was hitting did I see Skytrak over report ball speed when compared to Trackman. The ball speeds I saw this occur were over 170 mph.
  • SaskwatchSaskwatch Putting From The RoughMembers Posts: 533 ✭✭
    Bump. Looking to see if others can add more input at this time.



    I personally still feel that as the club lengthens, the ball speed accuracy drops when using Skytrak.



    For the record I’ve yet to crack 180mph ball speed on my unit. On trackman, 180+ is common but certainly not the norm based on my limited golfing time. That being said, you’d think hitting 1000s of balls in my garage would net 1 ball at 180+...no dice.



    I still really like the unit and plan on keeping it.

    TS3 8.5º - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    915F 13.5º - Tensei Pro White 80TX
    915F 18º - Tensei Pro White 80TX Proto
    716CB 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    SM6 50º, 54º & 58º - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Big T Blade 33"
    ProV1x

    On Tap:
    718TMB 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100TX
    718TMB 2 Iron - Tour AD DI 95x
    716CB 2 Iron - KBS C-Taper 130X
    915H 18º - Kuro Kage TiNi HY 90TX

    Upcoming:
    DG X7 swap



  • cmckelvmicmckelvmi ClubWRX Posts: 104 ClubWRX
    I have had my SkyTrak since Christmas and have compared it along side a Trackman, AboutGolf, and a GC2. All showed very similar numbers with all of my clubs. I also have a SwingCaddy that I use along with my SkyTrak because up until recently it was hard to count the total number of shots on the SkyTrak. The SwingCaddy is usually within +/- 2 yards. The biggest problem with comparing my data in this thread is I am not a long hitter. My driver only goes about 225, with an occasional 240. Which, if I can vent for a second, I can hit my 3 iron 205-210, why can't I drive the ball? Anyways, just as Saskwatch mentioned, the SkyTrak is right on with the shot shape, regardless of club. The biggest discrepancy I have seen is with my swing speed, which I know SkyTrak is just guessing based on ball speed.
  • 0psi0psi Members Posts: 72
    I haven't used Skytrack but I have noticed a similar issue with my local simulator.



    Apparently the sims they use are also used by Tiger and Rory, cost $20k, blah, blah, blah but I have noticed the data gets progressively worse the as the clubs get longer.



    Short irons are pretty close, long irons are nearly a club shorter and driver is nowhere near what I get outdoors/on Trackman. The carry difference between my gamer driver and long drive clubs are usually about 35-40 yards outside where as they are pretty much the same in the sim.
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Ping G400. Ping Tour 65 X.[/font]
    Titleist 917 F3. Fujikura Pro 73 X.
    Mizuno MP H4 3 iron. DG X100
    Mizuno MP 53 4-PW. DG X100
    Mizuno T7. 50, 55, 60. DG X100
    Bettinardi Inovai
  • sixtysevensixtysevensixtysevensixtyseven Members Posts: 2,028
    Saskwatch wrote:


    Bump. Looking to see if others can add more input at this time.



    I personally still feel that as the club lengthens, the ball speed accuracy drops when using Skytrak.



    For the record I've yet to crack 180mph ball speed on my unit. On trackman, 180+ is common but certainly not the norm based on my limited golfing time. That being said, you'd think hitting 1000s of balls in my garage would net 1 ball at 180+...no dice.



    I still really like the unit and plan on keeping it.




    You get what you pay for with Skytrak. I've had the same issue. The course that has a simulator during the winter near me uses a Skytrak and I also owned one for a while and the driver numbers are low. I'm high 170's and hit 180 on occasion and I'm consistently 10 MPH lower on Skytrak. I fit my driver last Fall on a Foresight and my ball speed averaged around 178. Later that day with the same driver I hit the simulator with my buddies and I had to swing out of my shoes to hit 175 with a normal swing being 170.



    I think it's fair to say that Skytrak reads 8-10 MPH slower ball speeds for me when compared to the other monitors.
  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    edited Jun 19, 2018 #18

    Saskwatch wrote:


    Bump. Looking to see if others can add more input at this time.



    I personally still feel that as the club lengthens, the ball speed accuracy drops when using Skytrak.



    For the record I've yet to crack 180mph ball speed on my unit. On trackman, 180+ is common but certainly not the norm based on my limited golfing time. That being said, you'd think hitting 1000s of balls in my garage would net 1 ball at 180+...no dice.



    I still really like the unit and plan on keeping it.




    You get what you pay for with Skytrak. I've had the same issue. The course that has a simulator during the winter near me uses a Skytrak and I also owned one for a while and the driver numbers are low. I'm high 170's and hit 180 on occasion and I'm consistently 10 MPH lower on Skytrak. I fit my driver last Fall on a Foresight and my ball speed averaged around 178. Later that day with the same driver I hit the simulator with my buddies and I had to swing out of my shoes to hit 175 with a normal swing being 170.



    I think it's fair to say that Skytrak reads 8-10 MPH slower ball speeds for me when compared to the other monitors.




    After a point right? I see very little difference up until that 170 area, maybe even 160s. I have tried to calculate the error, seems somewhat random but I have estimated that it hovers between 1.5-4% low ball speed wise through my entire bag. Rarely is it higher than a radar would read. At higher speeds, it seems to hang closer to the 3-4% off. Depends I think how high your typical ball speeds are. For reference I am generally high 170s to mid 180s and I rarely get the thing to read much over 170. I have a request for Skytrak to test this on another forum site. I will post here if/when I hear back.



    Edit: If there is someone capable of testing Trackman and Skytrak side by side that has relatively high ball speed (and is pretty consistent to boot), that would be awesome to see the results of. I wish I recorded my original test.
  • SaskwatchSaskwatch Putting From The RoughMembers Posts: 533 ✭✭
    Good info guys. Keep it coming.



    I’m still enjoying Skytrak.



    On a side note I stuffed some Tensei shafts in my woods and saw an immediate bump in ball speeds on all 3 of my woods (driver, 3W and 5W). The strangest part of this all was I saw 175 driver, 172 3w and 167 5w. I haven’t been out since due to having a newborn but I still hypothesize with the idea that the longer the club the more variance there is.



    Hopefully we get some detailed figures soon

    TS3 8.5º - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    915F 13.5º - Tensei Pro White 80TX
    915F 18º - Tensei Pro White 80TX Proto
    716CB 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    SM6 50º, 54º & 58º - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Big T Blade 33"
    ProV1x

    On Tap:
    718TMB 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100TX
    718TMB 2 Iron - Tour AD DI 95x
    716CB 2 Iron - KBS C-Taper 130X
    915H 18º - Kuro Kage TiNi HY 90TX

    Upcoming:
    DG X7 swap



  • SaskwatchSaskwatch Putting From The RoughMembers Posts: 533 ✭✭
    It’s been a poor golfing season for me only because of 2 little ones and well, it’s Canada lol. I’ve been out 2x so far (in the same day) and I hit 4 drives that really sparked my interest. Granted these drives were all down wind and the fairways are playing firm out here. 377, 361, 370, 380. All 4 verified by GPS. Under normal conditions without wind I’m guessing these are 320-335 drives at best which is still great. After playing I’ve been inspired now to see if I could get my darn Skytrak to register over 180.



    And it did!! 3 times in a 26 ball set the machine registered exactly 180. The rest of the balls all settled out in between 171-178.



    I setup my belltronics swing mate behind me today to register some club speeds. On those 180 balls it registered 124, 126, 124.



    Anywhere’s there’s some data and it’s up in the air which machine to trust. Either way I’m happy to see a reported 180. Next goal is 185!



    TS3 8.5º - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    915F 13.5º - Tensei Pro White 80TX
    915F 18º - Tensei Pro White 80TX Proto
    716CB 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    SM6 50º, 54º & 58º - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Big T Blade 33"
    ProV1x

    On Tap:
    718TMB 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100TX
    718TMB 2 Iron - Tour AD DI 95x
    716CB 2 Iron - KBS C-Taper 130X
    915H 18º - Kuro Kage TiNi HY 90TX

    Upcoming:
    DG X7 swap



  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Saskwatch wrote:


    It’s been a poor golfing season for me only because of 2 little ones and well, it’s Canada lol. I’ve been out 2x so far (in the same day) and I hit 4 drives that really sparked my interest. Granted these drives were all down wind and the fairways are playing firm out here. 377, 361, 370, 380. All 4 verified by GPS. Under normal conditions without wind I’m guessing these are 320-335 drives at best which is still great. After playing I’ve been inspired now to see if I could get my darn Skytrak to register over 180.



    And it did!! 3 times in a 26 ball set the machine registered exactly 180. The rest of the balls all settled out in between 171-178.



    I setup my belltronics swing mate behind me today to register some club speeds. On those 180 balls it registered 124, 126, 124.



    Anywhere’s there’s some data and it’s up in the air which machine to trust. Either way I’m happy to see a reported 180. Next goal is 185!




    Nice, I have rarely seen 180 on my machine and on Trackman, 180 isn't abnormal at all. Someone on another site suggested lighting could be an issue. Did you change anything that could have helped ST to read more accurately?
  • SaskwatchSaskwatch Putting From The RoughMembers Posts: 533 ✭✭
    clevited wrote:

    Saskwatch wrote:


    It’s been a poor golfing season for me only because of 2 little ones and well, it’s Canada lol. I’ve been out 2x so far (in the same day) and I hit 4 drives that really sparked my interest. Granted these drives were all down wind and the fairways are playing firm out here. 377, 361, 370, 380. All 4 verified by GPS. Under normal conditions without wind I’m guessing these are 320-335 drives at best which is still great. After playing I’ve been inspired now to see if I could get my darn Skytrak to register over 180.



    And it did!! 3 times in a 26 ball set the machine registered exactly 180. The rest of the balls all settled out in between 171-178.



    I setup my belltronics swing mate behind me today to register some club speeds. On those 180 balls it registered 124, 126, 124.



    Anywhere’s there’s some data and it’s up in the air which machine to trust. Either way I’m happy to see a reported 180. Next goal is 185!




    Nice, I have rarely seen 180 on my machine and on Trackman, 180 isn't abnormal at all. Someone on another site suggested lighting could be an issue. Did you change anything that could have helped ST to read more accurately?




    My setup right down to the Mat position hasn’t changed in over a year. There was a recent update to the app...maybe that’s part of it? Either way it’s encouraging to see.

    TS3 8.5º - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    915F 13.5º - Tensei Pro White 80TX
    915F 18º - Tensei Pro White 80TX Proto
    716CB 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    SM6 50º, 54º & 58º - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Big T Blade 33"
    ProV1x

    On Tap:
    718TMB 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100TX
    718TMB 2 Iron - Tour AD DI 95x
    716CB 2 Iron - KBS C-Taper 130X
    915H 18º - Kuro Kage TiNi HY 90TX

    Upcoming:
    DG X7 swap



  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Saskwatch wrote:

    clevited wrote:

    Saskwatch wrote:


    It's been a poor golfing season for me only because of 2 little ones and well, it's Canada lol. I've been out 2x so far (in the same day) and I hit 4 drives that really sparked my interest. Granted these drives were all down wind and the fairways are playing firm out here. 377, 361, 370, 380. All 4 verified by GPS. Under normal conditions without wind I'm guessing these are 320-335 drives at best which is still great. After playing I've been inspired now to see if I could get my darn Skytrak to register over 180.



    And it did!! 3 times in a 26 ball set the machine registered exactly 180. The rest of the balls all settled out in between 171-178.



    I setup my belltronics swing mate behind me today to register some club speeds. On those 180 balls it registered 124, 126, 124.



    Anywhere's there's some data and it's up in the air which machine to trust. Either way I'm happy to see a reported 180. Next goal is 185!




    Nice, I have rarely seen 180 on my machine and on Trackman, 180 isn't abnormal at all. Someone on another site suggested lighting could be an issue. Did you change anything that could have helped ST to read more accurately?




    My setup right down to the Mat position hasn't changed in over a year. There was a recent update to the app...maybe that's part of it? Either way it's encouraging to see.




    Cool, I have delayed the last couple of update due to bugs, but I might have to give it a try. That would be awesome if they fixed it.
  • SaskwatchSaskwatch Putting From The RoughMembers Posts: 533 ✭✭
    clevited wrote:

    Saskwatch wrote:

    clevited wrote:

    Saskwatch wrote:


    It's been a poor golfing season for me only because of 2 little ones and well, it's Canada lol. I've been out 2x so far (in the same day) and I hit 4 drives that really sparked my interest. Granted these drives were all down wind and the fairways are playing firm out here. 377, 361, 370, 380. All 4 verified by GPS. Under normal conditions without wind I'm guessing these are 320-335 drives at best which is still great. After playing I've been inspired now to see if I could get my darn Skytrak to register over 180.



    And it did!! 3 times in a 26 ball set the machine registered exactly 180. The rest of the balls all settled out in between 171-178.



    I setup my belltronics swing mate behind me today to register some club speeds. On those 180 balls it registered 124, 126, 124.



    Anywhere's there's some data and it's up in the air which machine to trust. Either way I'm happy to see a reported 180. Next goal is 185!




    Nice, I have rarely seen 180 on my machine and on Trackman, 180 isn't abnormal at all. Someone on another site suggested lighting could be an issue. Did you change anything that could have helped ST to read more accurately?




    My setup right down to the Mat position hasn't changed in over a year. There was a recent update to the app...maybe that's part of it? Either way it's encouraging to see.




    Cool, I have delayed the last couple of update due to bugs, but I might have to give it a try. That would be awesome if they fixed it.




    I’d you find any changes after the update let us know the outcomes please!



    I still think the Skytrak is such a bargain for what it provides. Even if the device is off on ball speed it’s doing so on a consistent basis which still provides meaningful practice data.

    TS3 8.5º - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    915F 13.5º - Tensei Pro White 80TX
    915F 18º - Tensei Pro White 80TX Proto
    716CB 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    SM6 50º, 54º & 58º - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Big T Blade 33"
    ProV1x

    On Tap:
    718TMB 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100TX
    718TMB 2 Iron - Tour AD DI 95x
    716CB 2 Iron - KBS C-Taper 130X
    915H 18º - Kuro Kage TiNi HY 90TX

    Upcoming:
    DG X7 swap



  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    edited Jul 3, 2018 #25
    Will do...and I agree.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    edited Jul 4, 2018 #26
    So, I have an update. I installed the latest version of Skytrak onto my cell phone and hit some drivers tonight (nothing like some crushed drives to go along with the fireworks I was hearing outside). I need to do some more testing but so far, things are looking good.



    On almost every single drive, the ball speed on my Skytrak was equal to, or higher than my Swing Caddie. Usually, the swing caddie is a few mph higher and I know the swing caddie itself is a couple under what Trackman gives me (and consistently so). I also for the first time in a long time, had ball speeds over 180. I thought the first one was a misread because I was trying out some cheap yellow pinnacle rush balls, so I then hit a white Nike RZN Platinum for a while and achieved even better ball speed. Both shots felt great, felt fast, definitely sweet spot contact. Both times however, my swing caddie didn't pick it up. It gave me odd numbers like 88 ball speed, and 106 clubhead speed. I think it caught the pieces of my tee or something. I am a bit skeptical of these ball speeds so I will keep testing. The best news is the ball speed was almost always higher than the swing caddie. That is absolutely new. Until I test some more, and until I hear directly from Skytrak, I won't know for sure they did anything at all. Could just be something else idk just yet. Anyways, I added some SS as proof that at least right now, higher ball speed can be achieved. (I also did not have the ST in a steel case, I have one and it has given me bogus high ball speeds before, the ST was in its plastic case and I have not changed setup or lighting or anything since the last time I was in my bay hitting).



    Edit: Just to clarify the first pic, the shot shape seemed correct but at first my ST was out of line a tad and helped give me that large 13 degree right horizontal launch. To eliminate misread due to being out of alignment, I corrected that before hitting more. Same consistently higher ball speed than the swing caddie, and I had that monster 191 ball speed drive with the white Nike ball. Both balls were brand new too, so no worn dimples to confuse the ST.
    ld2.jpg 93.9K
    ld1.jpg 130.3K
  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Saskwatch wrote:

    clevited wrote:

    Saskwatch wrote:

    clevited wrote:

    Saskwatch wrote:


    It's been a poor golfing season for me only because of 2 little ones and well, it's Canada lol. I've been out 2x so far (in the same day) and I hit 4 drives that really sparked my interest. Granted these drives were all down wind and the fairways are playing firm out here. 377, 361, 370, 380. All 4 verified by GPS. Under normal conditions without wind I'm guessing these are 320-335 drives at best which is still great. After playing I've been inspired now to see if I could get my darn Skytrak to register over 180.



    And it did!! 3 times in a 26 ball set the machine registered exactly 180. The rest of the balls all settled out in between 171-178.



    I setup my belltronics swing mate behind me today to register some club speeds. On those 180 balls it registered 124, 126, 124.



    Anywhere's there's some data and it's up in the air which machine to trust. Either way I'm happy to see a reported 180. Next goal is 185!




    Nice, I have rarely seen 180 on my machine and on Trackman, 180 isn't abnormal at all. Someone on another site suggested lighting could be an issue. Did you change anything that could have helped ST to read more accurately?




    My setup right down to the Mat position hasn't changed in over a year. There was a recent update to the app...maybe that's part of it? Either way it's encouraging to see.




    Cool, I have delayed the last couple of update due to bugs, but I might have to give it a try. That would be awesome if they fixed it.




    I'd you find any changes after the update let us know the outcomes please!



    I still think the Skytrak is such a bargain for what it provides. Even if the device is off on ball speed it's doing so on a consistent basis which still provides meaningful practice data.




    Question, do you use the Skytrak range app for your testing and also were you using PC, Android or IOS?
  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I tested older Skytrak version in garage bay, same thing. Higher ball speed almost always than my Swing Caddie. I then took my ST to the range tonight. I had great lighting with the sun behind the camera. I was also in a shadow. The ST read consistently LOWER than my Swing Caddie. With driver, it was lower by up to 6 mph, but usually 3 or 4. This is essentially what I observed when I compared it to Trackman a while back.



    I did notice that ball speed noticeably got closer to the same as Swing Caddie as the sun went down. It started to be off by less than 3 much more often when hitting driver.



    This is exactly opposite of what happens in my garage bay. The thing that boggles my mind is not long ago, this also happened in my garage bay. Winter time hitting in the garage, my results were very much the same as it was when I tested it outside tonight.



    I will do more testing in the garage but it doesn't look like they changed anything software wise. I have no idea why it currently reads much better in my garage and low at the range.
  • sixtysevensixtysevensixtysevensixtyseven Members Posts: 2,028

    Saskwatch wrote:


    Bump. Looking to see if others can add more input at this time.



    I personally still feel that as the club lengthens, the ball speed accuracy drops when using Skytrak.



    For the record I've yet to crack 180mph ball speed on my unit. On trackman, 180+ is common but certainly not the norm based on my limited golfing time. That being said, you'd think hitting 1000s of balls in my garage would net 1 ball at 180+...no dice.



    I still really like the unit and plan on keeping it.




    You get what you pay for with Skytrak. I've had the same issue. The course that has a simulator during the winter near me uses a Skytrak and I also owned one for a while and the driver numbers are low. I'm high 170's and hit 180 on occasion and I'm consistently 10 MPH lower on Skytrak. I fit my driver last Fall on a Foresight and my ball speed averaged around 178. Later that day with the same driver I hit the simulator with my buddies and I had to swing out of my shoes to hit 175 with a normal swing being 170.



    I think it's fair to say that Skytrak reads 8-10 MPH slower ball speeds for me when compared to the other monitors.




    The only head-to-head comparison I have is between SkyTrak and Foresight with my driver so I can't really speak for lower ball speeds with different clubs. I've hit probably a few hundred drivers on both the SkyTrak and Foresight and with being a fairly consistent ballstriker I would say with the driver my experience is that 4% number is pretty much what I've found is the difference with the driver.
  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭


    Saskwatch wrote:


    Bump. Looking to see if others can add more input at this time.



    I personally still feel that as the club lengthens, the ball speed accuracy drops when using Skytrak.



    For the record I've yet to crack 180mph ball speed on my unit. On trackman, 180+ is common but certainly not the norm based on my limited golfing time. That being said, you'd think hitting 1000s of balls in my garage would net 1 ball at 180+...no dice.



    I still really like the unit and plan on keeping it.




    You get what you pay for with Skytrak. I've had the same issue. The course that has a simulator during the winter near me uses a Skytrak and I also owned one for a while and the driver numbers are low. I'm high 170's and hit 180 on occasion and I'm consistently 10 MPH lower on Skytrak. I fit my driver last Fall on a Foresight and my ball speed averaged around 178. Later that day with the same driver I hit the simulator with my buddies and I had to swing out of my shoes to hit 175 with a normal swing being 170.



    I think it's fair to say that Skytrak reads 8-10 MPH slower ball speeds for me when compared to the other monitors.




    The only head-to-head comparison I have is between SkyTrak and Foresight with my driver so I can't really speak for lower ball speeds with different clubs. I've hit probably a few hundred drivers on both the SkyTrak and Foresight and with being a fairly consistent ballstriker I would say with the driver my experience is that 4% number is pretty much what I've found is the difference with the driver.




    Thanks for posting your past observations. Helpful to also have a Skytrak vs GC2 comparison as well. So I think we have established it can get upwards of 4% off with higher ball speeds. I however, still have the anomaly that is Skytrak being accurate suddenly in my garage. My brain hurts trying to figure it out lol. I will post if I ever figure it out or if it seems to stay this way. When I get some time I will hopefully do a solid comparison complete with averages over several shots. I need to tweak my bay depth so that my Swing Caddie will read more reliably. Catches low 170s balls just fine but it wigs out with anything potentially near 180. I don't think it gets to see the ball from behind the driver soon enough to measure on those ones.
  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    edited Oct 5, 2018 #31
    So a little update. My swing caddie was picking up ball speed as the ball was slowing down in my net which was most noticeable after ball speeds of about 125 mph. This is why ST was seemingly picking up higher ball speeds. I think the two I posted above were either misreads, or it actually did read a couple shots accurately.



    With that, I had some luck in the past hitting reflective golf balls. Namely, NXT Tour S (Yellow). My ST seemed to always pick them up well, it rarely had to "think" for a long time after hitting one, and my ball speed seemed to be consistently higher. It could be lighting dependent I don't know but worth a try for those of you still having issues.





    Edit: I tested this as of October 2018, the reflective yellow balls didn't seem to make any difference. I tested against Trackman as well and didn't see any higher ball speeds or improved ST reads.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.