Paige Spiranac - thoughts?

cnnmaverickcnnmaverick Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
As I was ready by the other topic about pxg and ambassadors I did get curious about what you guys thing about Paige Spiranac...



Apart from her looks (I am a fan full disclosure here) I guess my question is:



Does she deserve to get these types of opportunities given that she's a very unaccomplished professional golfer yet has more sponsors that many women (and men) can dream of?



Is it a disservice to the LPGA who is struggling to gain acceptance and same prize money ad men to basically turn around and say "hey at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you're hot"?. We'll give you an exemption because of your social media presence anyway?



Is she doing herself any favors by (pretending) being a real pro golfer yet taking advantage of all the sponsorship etc by posting workout videos in skimpy outfits?

«1345

Comments

  • Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience ClubWRX Posts: 3,560 ClubWRX
    More power to her. She knows she can create a fan base with her looks, niche social media strategy and golf skills. People's attractiveness can give them a leg up in pretty much every job except Stevie Wonder's escort service.



    Marketability matters and if the other LPGA players want to take advantage of that facet, they will have to put effort into it. If not they can simply be known by the level of talent they display on tour, which is exceptional.



    As I was ready by the other topic about pxg and ambassadors I did get curious about what you guys thing about Paige Spiranac...



    Apart from her looks (I am a fan full disclosure here) I guess my question is:



    Does she deserve to get these types of opportunities given that she's a very unaccomplished professional golfer yet has more sponsors that many women (and men) can dream of?



    Is it a disservice to the LPGA who is struggling to gain acceptance and same prize money ad men to basically turn around and say "hey at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you're hot"?. We'll give you an exemption because of your social media presence anyway?



    Is she doing herself any favors by (pretending) being a real pro golfer yet taking advantage of all the sponsorship etc by posting workout videos in skimpy outfits?
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,201 ✭✭
    Why do LPGA players deserve opportunity to make money more than her because they are better at hitting a ball? If you think about it that way it's silly too. Why is hitting a ball more important than being good looking....Both seem equally ridiculous as far as society at large is concerned



    People make money because there's a market for what they provide, nothing more or less. There's more money available for hot women than women who can hit a ball well apparently. So OK. Now we know that
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience ClubWRX Posts: 3,560 ClubWRX
    MtlJeff wrote:


    Why do LPGA players deserve opportunity to make money more than her because they are better at hitting a ball? If you think about it that way it's silly too. Why is hitting a ball more important than being good looking....Both seem equally ridiculous as far as society at large is concerned



    People make money because there's a market for what they provide, nothing more or less. There's more money available for hot women than women who can hit a ball well apparently. So OK. Now we know that




    Even though I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, you are exactly correct.



    The fact of the matter is that the best players in the world play on the PGA tour, which is why attractiveness and other gimmicks are less important there. Since the LPGA, Web.com, etc are all have less skilled players than the main tour, ancillary talents have more of an effect. Look at Wes Bryan before he hit the PGA, he made most of his waves off of trick shots.



    This same effect happens in minor league baseball too. The extra entertainment performances (mascots, etc) there, plus the smaller fees make it a good alternative if you don't mind watching less talented players.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,131 ✭✭
    Thoughts not fit for print ; )
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,400 ✭✭
    My thoughts? I think she better marry rich because the dough she is making right now is going to dry up fast once the next pretty thing shows up and shows off a little more leg/clevage. She doesn’t have any skills aside from being “hot” and that’s a very fleeting window to make a living. In 4 years we won’t remember her and she’ll be asking for bitcoin in some virtual brothel.
  • HackerDaveHackerDave Members Posts: 1,401 ✭✭
    I have no real thoughts. She is known for her looks, not her golf. I think of her as a model who just happens to play golf. The fact that old guys like to look at hot chicks makes it profitable for her. I'm happy she is cashing in, but in a couple of years nobody in the golf world will know her name. Her best shot is moving into the modeling business full time and she seems to be on her way.
  • chickenpotpiechickenpotpie #TeamJetSpeed Members Posts: 8,538 ✭✭
    Why do people who open toys on YouTube get paid to make such videos? No idea. Same concept here, but obviously there's a market, and where's there's a market there's money to be made.
    Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
    WITB Link
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,201 ✭✭

    MtlJeff wrote:


    Why do LPGA players deserve opportunity to make money more than her because they are better at hitting a ball? If you think about it that way it's silly too. Why is hitting a ball more important than being good looking....Both seem equally ridiculous as far as society at large is concerned



    People make money because there's a market for what they provide, nothing more or less. There's more money available for hot women than women who can hit a ball well apparently. So OK. Now we know that




    Even though I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, you are exactly correct.



    The fact of the matter is that the best players in the world play on the PGA tour, which is why attractiveness and other gimmicks are less important there. Since the LPGA, Web.com, etc are all have less skilled players than the main tour, ancillary talents have more of an effect. Look at Wes Bryan before he hit the PGA, he made most of his waves off of trick shots.



    This same effect happens in minor league baseball too. The extra entertainment performances (mascots, etc) there, plus the smaller fees make it a good alternative if you don't mind watching less talented players.




    Not being sarcastic, all jobs are just a way to make money so you can live. Some are more noble than others for sure. But hitting a ball vs being a YouTube star or something.... I mean I won't spend much time thinking who "deserves" it more
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭
    ~social influencer~
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp
  • ws6ws6 Pacific Dunes Members Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    I think that every thread about Paige should have at least one photo on each page.



    9542b74c16aa1a937dc516d85e60ab48.jpg
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ✭✭
    She's a brand ambassador, her association with PXG has more to do with her social media presence than it does her golfing ability. Celebrities act as brand ambassadors and spokespeople all the time despite there being better qualified and more knowledgeable people in the industry. The fact that many find her attractive and overall a good person helps too.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • NV825NV825 Just a Baby Fade Members Posts: 778 ✭✭
    I got to meet her in person at the recent Celebrity Golf tournament in Tahoe and she is very nice and I saw that she took the time to sign autographs and take pictures with all the fans that asked. She's very cute, but also smaller in person than I originally thought. Good for her for finding a niche and making a living out of it.
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 1,948 ✭✭
    I’d watch her shoot 85 every week.
  • HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,522 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:


    Thoughts not fit for print ; )


    MeToo image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • cnnmaverickcnnmaverick Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
    Love the replies so far... So I guess my question then becomes (and I'm truly not trying to be misogynist here): how can women or LPGA players complain about the difference in prize money? Same with the US Open Tennis.



    If the men's circuit gets watched because it's the pinnacle of the sport and no one cares about the women's circuit unless a hot chick turns up (Kournikova / Paige) why should they get paid the same?
  • JerseyBoyJerseyBoy Members Posts: 655
    She's beautiful and seems like a genuine person based on some of her YouTube vids. Good for her for marketing herself and being able to make a living using her social media smarts which led to her deal with Callaway and now PXG.



    That being said, there is some bitterness amongst the Lady Pros for her getting those 3 exemptions on nothing but looks. There are many much more talented and more Golf centric women those exemptions could have gone to that could have helped make a career for them. I think that is warranted.
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ✭✭


    Love the replies so far... So I guess my question then becomes (and I'm truly not trying to be misogynist here): how can women or LPGA players complain about the difference in prize money? Same with the US Open Tennis.



    If the men's circuit gets watched because it's the pinnacle of the sport and no one cares about the women's circuit unless a hot chick turns up (Kournikova / Paige) why should they get paid the same?




    They can complain all they like but until they attract the same live and home viewing audiences to justify larger broadcast contracts they aren't going to see the same money.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • JerseyBoyJerseyBoy Members Posts: 655
    edited Oct 19, 2017 #19
    new2g0lf wrote:



    Love the replies so far... So I guess my question then becomes (and I'm truly not trying to be misogynist here): how can women or LPGA players complain about the difference in prize money? Same with the US Open Tennis.



    If the men's circuit gets watched because it's the pinnacle of the sport and no one cares about the women's circuit unless a hot chick turns up (Kournikova / Paige) why should they get paid the same?




    They can complain all they like but until they attract the same live and home viewing audiences to justify larger broadcast contracts they aren't going to see the same money.




    This not a rhetorical question. I am genuinely curious about this. Does anyone happen to know or can point me to the actual viewing stats that the LPGA has versus the PGA? The Solheim Cup seemed to have an amazing audience size.



    I think you're somewhat right about not being able complain, but the women's tour winners make one sixth what the men do and their version of the Fed Ex Cup is atrocious money wise. It just seems like the divide is too large. Half I would get, but one sixth?
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,201 ✭✭
    new2g0lf wrote:



    Love the replies so far... So I guess my question then becomes (and I'm truly not trying to be misogynist here): how can women or LPGA players complain about the difference in prize money? Same with the US Open Tennis.



    If the men's circuit gets watched because it's the pinnacle of the sport and no one cares about the women's circuit unless a hot chick turns up (Kournikova / Paige) why should they get paid the same?




    They can complain all they like but until they attract the same live and home viewing audiences to justify larger broadcast contracts they aren't going to see the same money.




    How many male performers does Taylor Swift make more money than? Or Oprah?



    People make what they can make, if they push for it. Obviously some people push for max money more than others.



    If networks could make more money off women's golf or women's shows, they'd do it in a second



    There are people in offices everywhere who want more money, their options are to quit, or threaten to quit and ask for more. I don't feel bad for anyone in entertainment. They can have their hipster millenial journalists write about the horrors of inequality all day. If you think your worth more money, threaten to quit. If you get the money you're worth it. If you don't, you're not. Same as anyone (male or female) in an office
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • hammy83hammy83 Members Posts: 1,831
    I've never heard a story saying she was less than nice to every single person she has met. She is great on the eyes, she clearly knows her market and she's benefiting from it. I guarantee you she has a game plan once this all subsides. The LPGA tours can be jealous of her exemptions or how she is benefiting from her looks but complaining is not going to change that. If they want more money and better sponsors... play better. I dont hear Brooks complaining about it.
  • nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,904 ✭✭


    My thoughts? I think she better marry rich because the dough she is making right now is going to dry up fast once the next pretty thing shows up and shows off a little more leg/clevage. She doesn't have any skills aside from being "hot" and that's a very fleeting window to make a living. In 4 years we won't remember her and she'll be asking for bitcoin in some virtual brothel.




    You might not remember her but I'm pretty sure that I will, but there again I'm shallow.
    Callaway Rogue 9* PX Evenflow
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 4 - PW KBS V110
    TM R Series 50, 56,& 60 KBS Hi Rev
    Mizuno T105
  • nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,904 ✭✭
    ws6 wrote:


    I think that every thread about Paige should have at least one photo on each page.



    9542b74c16aa1a937dc516d85e60ab48.jpg




    Paige Spiranac and John Riggins in the same post; my life is complete.
    Callaway Rogue 9* PX Evenflow
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 4 - PW KBS V110
    TM R Series 50, 56,& 60 KBS Hi Rev
    Mizuno T105
  • JerseyBoyJerseyBoy Members Posts: 655
    hammy83 wrote:


    ...she clearly knows her market and she's benefiting from it.




    This is where the argument for her being a spokesperson for PXG falls apart. I am virtually sure that almost none of her 1.2M followers on Instagram could afford a set of PXG Golf Clubs. I would even venture to say that most don't even play Golf. Look at the pictures she posts on Instagram if you want to argue this point.



    She's benefiting because she knows HOW to market herself, but her market are not the people that will spend that kind of money on a "Lifestyle" brand of Clubs like PXG claims to be.
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭
    NSFW
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

    KaBoom Baby!
  • Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience ClubWRX Posts: 3,560 ClubWRX
    JerseyBoy wrote:

    hammy83 wrote:


    ...she clearly knows her market and she's benefiting from it.




    This is where the argument for her being a spokesperson for PXG falls apart. I am virtually sure that almost none of her 1.2M followers on Instagram could afford a set of PXG Golf Clubs. I would even venture to say that most don't even play Golf. Look at the pictures she posts on Instagram if you want to argue this point.



    She's benefiting because she knows HOW to market herself, but her market are not the people that will spend that kind of money on a "Lifestyle" brand of Clubs like PXG claims to be.




    Respectfully, I can assure you that you are wrong. My friends and I follow her. Most of us can afford and also generally spend PXG level money on golf clubs. We all love that she's beautiful WHILE she also has a great positive attitude. She markets herself very well and having her as part of the team is a great move. If she ever catches lightning in a bottle and makes it on the symmetra/LPGA tour it could be the best marketing move in golf since Tiger went to Nike.



    The issue with PXG is that they are not present anywhere but club fitters and demo days, which is congruent with their brand. If I could easily try a PXG club and not have to drive an hour to demo them, it is very likely I may buy them. Bob Parsons is an exceptional businessman and brilliant marketer. If he wants PXG to become more widespread, he will do it. I'm sure having someone like her with over a million followers on the PXG ticket can only help.
  • hammy83hammy83 Members Posts: 1,831
    JerseyBoy wrote:

    hammy83 wrote:


    ...she clearly knows her market and she's benefiting from it.




    This is where the argument for her being a spokesperson for PXG falls apart. I am virtually sure that almost none of her 1.2M followers on Instagram could afford a set of PXG Golf Clubs. I would even venture to say that most don't even play Golf. Look at the pictures she posts on Instagram if you want to argue this point.



    She's benefiting because she knows HOW to market herself, but her market are not the people that will spend that kind of money on a "Lifestyle" brand of Clubs like PXG claims to be.




    I see your point. Rich men with money who like PXG hate good looking young women and **** doesnt sell.



    You literally just made your argument moot. her 1.2M followers, this thread and thousands of other mentions just paid for her PXG sponsorship because that is one **** of a reach that would cost millions on any marketing budget.
  • MooJerseyMooJersey Members Posts: 430 ✭✭
    edited Oct 20, 2017 #28
    JerseyBoy wrote:

    new2g0lf wrote:



    Love the replies so far... So I guess my question then becomes (and I'm truly not trying to be misogynist here): how can women or LPGA players complain about the difference in prize money? Same with the US Open Tennis.



    If the men's circuit gets watched because it's the pinnacle of the sport and no one cares about the women's circuit unless a hot chick turns up (Kournikova / Paige) why should they get paid the same?




    They can complain all they like but until they attract the same live and home viewing audiences to justify larger broadcast contracts they aren't going to see the same money.




    This not a rhetorical question. I am genuinely curious about this. Does anyone happen to know or can point me to the actual viewing stats that the LPGA has versus the PGA? The Solheim Cup seemed to have an amazing audience size.



    I think you're somewhat right about not being able complain, but the women's tour winners make one sixth what the men do and their version of the Fed Ex Cup is atrocious money wise. It just seems like the divide is too large. Half I would get, but one sixth?




    So it is atrocious that the top 5 ladies made $150 - $500K over the course of a few days hitting a golf ball. Yes the world is a cruel place for those women.... image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />



    https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2017/06/28/2017-kpmg-womens-pga-championship-purse-winners-share-prize-money-payout-105692/
    Cobra F8+ Driver - EvenFlow Blue
    TEE EX10 Beta 3W - HZRDUS Red
    Cobra F8 3H, 4H, 5H
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, AMT Black
    Vokey SM7 50-12F
    Vokey SM7 56-14F
    Odyssey Works 2-Ball
  • pricelesspriceless Members Posts: 680
    I'm guessing she will be like Blair O'Neal. The Golf Channel will find a place for her on one of their shows when her gravy train runs out of fuel.
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ✭✭
    JerseyBoy wrote:

    hammy83 wrote:


    ...she clearly knows her market and she's benefiting from it.




    This is where the argument for her being a spokesperson for PXG falls apart. I am virtually sure that almost none of her 1.2M followers on Instagram could afford a set of PXG Golf Clubs. I would even venture to say that most don't even play Golf. Look at the pictures she posts on Instagram if you want to argue this point.



    She's benefiting because she knows HOW to market herself, but her market are not the people that will spend that kind of money on a "Lifestyle" brand of Clubs like PXG claims to be.




    How do you know what her market is? Give me a break, it's obvious you don't like her or PXG and have no real insight into marketing decisions.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • NV825NV825 Just a Baby Fade Members Posts: 778 ✭✭
    I don't have first hand knowledge of the contract between Paige and PXG, but my guess is that it's not as high as most would think. When you look at the cost for a single page ad in a national magazine or :30 ad on national TV, to get something in or below that ballpark for a year's worth of coverage from a **** golf girl on social media is not a bad marketing investment. +95% of her followers may not have the means to buy PXG, but don't be naive and say rich dudes also aren't into watching her swing a golf club in a spaghetti strap.
«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.