2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golf in Louisville Kentucky

I was invited on a trip to Louisville KY. in April. These are the proposed courses we are to play.

Chariot Run

Covered Bridge GC

Heritage Hill GC

Champions Pointe GC

Has anyone played these tracks and have any helpful comments? We will be staying at a Sheraton(location unknown) in Louisville. Thanks in advance for any info.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruh, you have GOT to play Nevel Meade.

I like the other courses on your list, and Chariot Run will be a (very difficult) highlight.

Covered Bridge is a fun layout, and Champions Pointe is also fun but extremely penal—especially the closing 4 holes!

Heritage Hill is, IMO, the worst of these courses, simply because it is a life-or-death routing with zoysia fairways (which are lame compared to bentgrass). The par 3s are absolutely brutal, and the widespread use of overly-dense fescue guarantees a lost ball bonanza.

Nevel Meade and Chariot Run offer superior conditioning, and I'm tellin ya—you'll have the most fun and hit the most memorable shots at Nevel Meade. Just wait til you tee off on the par 5 14th.

Update: Do not play the other courses under consideration.

DO NOT MISS NEVEL MEADE.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

I was invited on a trip to Louisville KY. in April. These are the proposed courses we are to play.

Chariot Run

Covered Bridge GC

Heritage Hill GC

Champions Pointe GC

Has anyone played these tracks and have any helpful comments? We will be staying at a Sheraton(location unknown) in Louisville. Thanks in advance for any info.

Nevel Meade is a good course

Chariot Run is arguably the best public course within an hour of Louisville. More of a links style course with fantastic greens.

Covered Bridge and Champions Pointe are both Fuzzy Zoeller courses. Champions Pointe is the more challenging of the two and the one I would choose over Covered Bridge.

I have never seen an issue with the fairways at Heritage Hill other than at #10 which they sometimes have roped off in areas. Very nice course with inflated rates.

Nevel Meade is a daily fee links style course. One of the better public tracks in the Louisville area if you don't want to travel a half an hour which you would do to play most of the other courses.

My personal rankings would be:

Chariot Run, Champions Pointe, Heritage Hill, Covered Bridge and Nevel Meade.

Don't understand the comment made by pearsonified about Heritage Hills fairways, unless he was never in one. Their fairways are like carpet and if he was in the fescue he was 75 yards offline. Nevel Meade is good if you like a wide open links course. Heritage Hills is good if you like to see deer, wild turkeys, foxes, and bald eagles while your playing.

Their fairways are like carpet and if he was in the fescue he was 75 yards offline.

The front 9 is bottlenecked with fescue on both sides, especially on holes 4-9. You have maybe 12 yards of rough on either side of the fairway, and then it's certain death.

If you can carry the driver 275 yards, Heritage Hills is an extremely dangerous golf course.

TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Toulon Atlanta 35"

I think Heritage Hills would've one of the top public courses in the Louisville area if their greens ever rolled faster than an 8. It's a fantastic layout (best set of Par 3's I've played), and in great shape, bu the greens are always slow. They are healthy, but never as fast as they look. My ranking would be as follows:

1. Chariot Run

2. Champions Pointe

3. Heritage Hill

4. Nevel Meade

5. Covered Bridge

Another that doesn't get talked about a lot is Old Capitol in Corydon, IN. It's a little further than most on the list, but probably similar time as Heritage or Chariot, but it's s great track. Very fun to play.

I wouldn't waste my time with the other courses you listed.

As a PGA Professional in the area, I have played all of these courses many times and most of them within the last couple of weeks. I will give you my opinion on each. Keep in mind this is my opinion and the course difficulty is relevant to the tee you will be playing and the weather conditions. The weather has changed in the area in the last 2 weeks so the conditions of these courses has probably also changed. I know you said the trip was in April so who knows what the weather will be like. It changes here everyday. I will not rank the courses but give you my opinion in the order you listed them. Obviously, Valhalla is the best course in the area. You don’t host multiple major championships and a Ryder Cup by being a bad golf course. Played there a couple weeks ago and it is in fantastic shape; however, it it also super private. Since it is owned by the PGA, I have more access to it than most. You will need to know someone who can get you through the gate. If you have the chance to play it, do it. Keep in mind that it will probably cost a pretty penny to play there.

1) Chariot Run - Played there 3 days ago. Course is in excellent condition as always. Greens are usually the best in the area and did not disappoint this time around. Has bent grass fairways that should be in good condition in April. In my opinion, the hardest layout of the courses listed. Not a lot of room to miss. Fairways are guarded by bunkers and fescue that is not extremely thick, but can be penalizing. Most of the course is a links style and will completely depend on the wind. Wind was blowing hard a few days ago which made the round very difficult. Has some memorable holes and no bad holes. #9 is one of the hardest holes I’ve played, but once again, we were playing the back tees and its a 500 yard Par 4. Definitely would be towards the top of my list in the Louisville area. I will warn you that it is a pretty good drive from Louisville and it is in the middle of nowhere. Takes about 45 minutes from my house which is in the middle of the city.

2) Covered Bridge - Played about 2 weeks ago. Good golf course that is usually in good condition. Has some memorable holes but a few that are nothing to write home about in my opinion. Greens are usually in good condition. Has Zoysia fairways in Indiana so the condition in April will completely depend on the weather. Not the hardest course but can be difficult if you don’t know where to hit it. You will get a little bit of everything. Some holes are tree lined, some are in the open and a couple run through houses. #9 and #18 are both Par 5’s that share a green that is impressive. It is enormous. Easy 20-25 minute drive from Louisville.

3) Heritage Hill - Another great course that has Zosia fairways so the conditions in April are unpredictable due to weather. Fairways were phenomenal this year. Layout is great. As other people have stated, a few of the Par 3’s can be brutal but a couple of them are very scenic. I feel this course is the most playable for the average golfer of the ones listed. Fairways are extremely wide. Rough is healthy but not brutal. Has fescue that lines most of the holes; however, if you hit it in there, it was a terrible shot. Fescue will probably not be that deep in April. Has some very memorable holes (#11) and no bad ones. Do agree that greens can be slower from time to time but they are always healthy. Front 9 is completely secluded and you very rarely see another hole. First few holes on the back 9 are secluded but you will see a few houses on the last 4-5 holes that are not in play at all. You will get a little bit of everything here. Great scenery. Easy 20 minute drive from Downtown.

4) Champions Pointe - Another great course. Kind of similar to Heritage Hill. Always in good shape. Zoysia fairways. Some links style, some trees. First few holes are underwhelming but #4 is one of the best par 3’s around. Last 4 holes are pretty tough with #18 being extremely difficult. Definitely has some memorable holes. Decently wide fairways with some fescue on most holes. Around 25-30 minutes from Downtown.

Others have mentioned Nevel Meade and I agree it deserves to be in the conversation. Usually in good condition. One of the few courses around that still has bent grass fairways so they should be in great condition in April. Definitely has some memorable holes but has some forgettable ones as well. Greens are always in good condition. It is a links course so will completely depend on the wind that day. Around 30 minutes from Downtown.

Once again, this is my opinion. I’m sure others will differ. I have played all of these courses many times. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I think most would agree those are the 5 best public options within 45 minutes of Louisville.

TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Toulon Atlanta 35"

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm coming in for work next Monday. Should be a little cold but I'm coming from Michigan so I'll gladly play in 40 degree temperatures at this point.

Polo Fields or Nevel Meade?

Nevel Meade. We have had a really cold spring, so all the courses that went to Zoysia (which is most of them) are still dormant. Nevel Meade is one of the only courses in Louisville that still has bent fairways, so it should be in good shape.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I'm coming in for work next Monday. Should be a little cold but I'm coming from Michigan so I'll gladly play in 40 degree temperatures at this point.

Polo Fields or Nevel Meade?

Nevel Meade. We have had a really cold spring, so all the courses that went to Zoysia (which is most of them) are still dormant. Nevel Meade is one of the only courses in Louisville that still has bent fairways, so it should be in good shape.

Awesome- thanks for the tip!

As a PGA Professional in the area, I have played all of these courses many times and most of them within the last couple of weeks. I will give you my opinion on each. Keep in mind this is my opinion and the course difficulty is relevant to the tee you will be playing and the weather conditions. The weather has changed in the area in the last 2 weeks so the conditions of these courses has probably also changed. I know you said the trip was in April so who knows what the weather will be like. It changes here everyday. I will not rank the courses but give you my opinion in the order you listed them. Obviously, Valhalla is the best course in the area. You don’t host multiple major championships and a Ryder Cup by being a bad golf course. Played there a couple weeks ago and it is in fantastic shape; however, it it also super private. Since it is owned by the PGA, I have more access to it than most. You will need to know someone who can get you through the gate. If you have the chance to play it, do it. Keep in mind that it will probably cost a pretty penny to play there.

1) Chariot Run - Played there 3 days ago. Course is in excellent condition as always. Greens are usually the best in the area and did not disappoint this time around. Has bent grass fairways that should be in good condition in April. In my opinion, the hardest layout of the courses listed. Not a lot of room to miss. Fairways are guarded by bunkers and fescue that is not extremely thick, but can be penalizing. Most of the course is a links style and will completely depend on the wind. Wind was blowing hard a few days ago which made the round very difficult. Has some memorable holes and no bad holes. #9 is one of the hardest holes I’ve played, but once again, we were playing the back tees and its a 500 yard Par 4. Definitely would be towards the top of my list in the Louisville area. I will warn you that it is a pretty good drive from Louisville and it is in the middle of nowhere. Takes about 45 minutes from my house which is in the middle of the city.

2) Covered Bridge - Played about 2 weeks ago. Good golf course that is usually in good condition. Has some memorable holes but a few that are nothing to write home about in my opinion. Greens are usually in good condition. Has Zoysia fairways in Indiana so the condition in April will completely depend on the weather. Not the hardest course but can be difficult if you don’t know where to hit it. You will get a little bit of everything. Some holes are tree lined, some are in the open and a couple run through houses. #9 and #18 are both Par 5’s that share a green that is impressive. It is enormous. Easy 20-25 minute drive from Louisville.

3) Heritage Hill - Another great course that has Zosia fairways so the conditions in April are unpredictable due to weather. Fairways were phenomenal this year. Layout is great. As other people have stated, a few of the Par 3’s can be brutal but a couple of them are very scenic. I feel this course is the most playable for the average golfer of the ones listed. Fairways are extremely wide. Rough is healthy but not brutal. Has fescue that lines most of the holes; however, if you hit it in there, it was a terrible shot. Fescue will probably not be that deep in April. Has some very memorable holes (#11) and no bad ones. Do agree that greens can be slower from time to time but they are always healthy. Front 9 is completely secluded and you very rarely see another hole. First few holes on the back 9 are secluded but you will see a few houses on the last 4-5 holes that are not in play at all. You will get a little bit of everything here. Great scenery. Easy 20 minute drive from Downtown.

4) Champions Pointe - Another great course. Kind of similar to Heritage Hill. Always in good shape. Zoysia fairways. Some links style, some trees. First few holes are underwhelming but #4 is one of the best par 3’s around. Last 4 holes are pretty tough with #18 being extremely difficult. Definitely has some memorable holes. Decently wide fairways with some fescue on most holes. Around 25-30 minutes from Downtown.

Others have mentioned Nevel Meade and I agree it deserves to be in the conversation. Usually in good condition. One of the few courses around that still has bent grass fairways so they should be in great condition in April. Definitely has some memorable holes but has some forgettable ones as well. Greens are always in good condition. It is a links course so will completely depend on the wind that day. Around 30 minutes from Downtown.

Once again, this is my opinion. I’m sure others will differ. I have played all of these courses many times. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I’m just curious what you think of Big Spring and where I might rank amongst those listed. Thanks.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Well I just got back yesterday from Louisville. I would rank the courses in the following order. Note that all the greens were slow everywhere, maybe an 8 at best. None of the fairways were grown in yet and were a little thin. Not being critical it is just early in the year for conditions to be great. I liked all the courses but it was very windy all but the last day.

Covered Bridge and Chariot Run were the two best for me. Both courses were very nice an I expect in a month they would be excellent conditions. I liked the par 3's on both a lot. Hilly enough to make it interesting.

Heritage Hill was good but god forbid if you wanted to walk it. Great par 3's and par 5's. They have that beautiful house on top the hill but they said the thing was falling apart inside. That would make a great clubhouse. Liked the opening holes here and it worked you into the round. The 9th wasa brute into the wind. Loved the 11th hole par 3.

Champions Pointe on the last day. I did not think much of this course until the last 4 holes. It was very generic until the end. The last 4 holes made it worth playing. Par 3 was a tuff hole with a 30 mph wind in your face and a little to the right. The next par 5 and par 4 were very good holes. #18 was a brute period. The wind in the face at 440 yds. Having to hit out over the water to keep it close to the left side. Then having to hit 200 yds into the green over water again. I made par but don't want to do that a second time with that wind.

Overall a good trip and had fun. Thanks for all your advice it was well used on this trip.

As a PGA Professional in the area, I have played all of these courses many times and most of them within the last couple of weeks. I will give you my opinion on each. Keep in mind this is my opinion and the course difficulty is relevant to the tee you will be playing and the weather conditions. The weather has changed in the area in the last 2 weeks so the conditions of these courses has probably also changed. I know you said the trip was in April so who knows what the weather will be like. It changes here everyday. I will not rank the courses but give you my opinion in the order you listed them. Obviously, Valhalla is the best course in the area. You don't host multiple major championships and a Ryder Cup by being a bad golf course. Played there a couple weeks ago and it is in fantastic shape; however, it it also super private. Since it is owned by the PGA, I have more access to it than most. You will need to know someone who can get you through the gate. If you have the chance to play it, do it. Keep in mind that it will probably cost a pretty penny to play there.

1) Chariot Run - Played there 3 days ago. Course is in excellent condition as always. Greens are usually the best in the area and did not disappoint this time around. Has bent grass fairways that should be in good condition in April. In my opinion, the hardest layout of the courses listed. Not a lot of room to miss. Fairways are guarded by bunkers and fescue that is not extremely thick, but can be penalizing. Most of the course is a links style and will completely depend on the wind. Wind was blowing hard a few days ago which made the round very difficult. Has some memorable holes and no bad holes. #9 is one of the hardest holes I've played, but once again, we were playing the back tees and its a 500 yard Par 4. Definitely would be towards the top of my list in the Louisville area. I will warn you that it is a pretty good drive from Louisville and it is in the middle of nowhere. Takes about 45 minutes from my house which is in the middle of the city.

2) Covered Bridge - Played about 2 weeks ago. Good golf course that is usually in good condition. Has some memorable holes but a few that are nothing to write home about in my opinion. Greens are usually in good condition. Has Zoysia fairways in Indiana so the condition in April will completely depend on the weather. Not the hardest course but can be difficult if you don't know where to hit it. You will get a little bit of everything. Some holes are tree lined, some are in the open and a couple run through houses. #9 and #18 are both Par 5's that share a green that is impressive. It is enormous. Easy 20-25 minute drive from Louisville.

3) Heritage Hill - Another great course that has Zosia fairways so the conditions in April are unpredictable due to weather. Fairways were phenomenal this year. Layout is great. As other people have stated, a few of the Par 3's can be brutal but a couple of them are very scenic. I feel this course is the most playable for the average golfer of the ones listed. Fairways are extremely wide. Rough is healthy but not brutal. Has fescue that lines most of the holes; however, if you hit it in there, it was a terrible shot. Fescue will probably not be that deep in April. Has some very memorable holes (#11) and no bad ones. Do agree that greens can be slower from time to time but they are always healthy. Front 9 is completely secluded and you very rarely see another hole. First few holes on the back 9 are secluded but you will see a few houses on the last 4-5 holes that are not in play at all. You will get a little bit of everything here. Great scenery. Easy 20 minute drive from Downtown.

4) Champions Pointe - Another great course. Kind of similar to Heritage Hill. Always in good shape. Zoysia fairways. Some links style, some trees. First few holes are underwhelming but #4 is one of the best par 3's around. Last 4 holes are pretty tough with #18 being extremely difficult. Definitely has some memorable holes. Decently wide fairways with some fescue on most holes. Around 25-30 minutes from Downtown.

Once again, this is my opinion. I'm sure others will differ. I have played all of these courses many times. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I'm just curious what you think of Big Spring and where I might rank amongst those listed. Thanks.

I've played all of those courses and Big Spring (if you have a way to get on) is the best of the bunch, with the exception of Valhalla.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

• 1 year later...