Any other hikers, backpackers, campers out there?

15678911»

Comments

• scratchswingerscratchswinger Members Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • One_Putt_BlunderOne_Putt_Blunder Members Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@scratchswinger said:
    Wow those aspens

I've been wanting to do that hike for a couple years. It didn't disappoint. You can reach the AZ highpoint from this side. It's longer by about 10 more miles but it's way prettier. Think I'll backpack it in the future set up camp near end of tree line to have a short summit push in the morning.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
    10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
    14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
    18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
    Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
    WITB Link
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Members Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@scratchswinger said:
    Any elk?

No but my track record with actually seeing wildlife sucks

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    WITB Link
  • gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever got a backpacking permit for a specific trail at Yosemite and camped out there for a few days like that? Just wondering how difficult it is to get that permit.

Been decades since I've backpacked in Yosemite. From what I've gathered getting permits from the further out ranger stations is easier than in the valley likewise

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    WITB Link

@One_Putt_Blunder said:
    Been decades since I've backpacked in Yosemite. From what I've gathered getting permits from the further out ranger stations is easier than in the valley likewise

Think I’m gonna try and get out there for it next year. Maybe in the fall if I have time.

@gambit said:

@One_Putt_Blunder said:

Think I’m gonna try and get out there for it next year. Maybe in the fall if I have time.

If you get the chance do it some amazing country up there and if you avoid jmt and half dome permits it shouldn't be too crazy to get one. If you can't look at some of the pct there's a trailhead on the 108 just east of Sonora pass that you can do a number of loops into some cool alpine lakes etc.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    WITB Link

@One_Putt_Blunder said:

@gambit said:

@One_Putt_Blunder said:

If you get the chance do it some amazing country up there and if you avoid jmt and half dome permits it shouldn't be too crazy to get one. If you can't look at some of the pct there's a trailhead on the 108 just east of Sonora pass that you can do a number of loops into some cool alpine lakes etc.

That sounds like a good option too. I heard getting it the same day isn’t too bad because they only give out a few before as reservations or something like that.

Heading up that way next weekend @gambit unforunately only going to have 1 full day on the western slope a bit north of Yosemite but gonna get a short hike in around pinecrest and up to this spot.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    WITB Link

@One_Putt_Blunder said:
    Heading up that way next weekend @gambit unforunately only going to have 1 full day on the western slope a bit north of Yosemite but gonna get a short hike in around pinecrest and up to this spot.

That’s gorgeous. Have a great time and take lots of pics!

• scoteescotee Members Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Dry Saddle Trail head last week. Looking South towards the Salmon River in the Frank Church Wilderness Idaho.

Burnt Knob Lookout perched on the rock.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am
  • scoteescotee Members Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There was a lot of burned timber since the last time I was in there backpacking with friends with Llamas 20 years ago. It is coming back slowly with lots of Bear Grass, Huckleberries and some new trees in the older burns. We camped at Red River Hot Springs and rode an ATV about 30 miles of the Magruder Corridor Road that goes over 100 miles to Darby Montana.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Finally got scheduled for my EMG nerve test this Friday, hopefully this is the beginning of finding some answers as to why my ankle muscles don't want to fire properly. Still waiting on MRI approval for my back MRI. Really hope another surgery is not needed and we can sort this through PT but as time passes and my back feels worse and worse. Not sure it is just the lack of movement from no golf/hiking or something bigger.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    WITB Link

@One_Putt_Blunder said:
    Finally got scheduled for my EMG nerve test this Friday, hopefully this is the beginning of finding some answers as to why my ankle muscles don't want to fire properly. Still waiting on MRI approval for my back MRI. Really hope another surgery is not needed and we can sort this through PT but as time passes and my back feels worse and worse. Not sure it is just the lack of movement from no golf/hiking or something bigger.

Best of luck, bud!

• dmac4gdmac4g Members Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hope they get this figured out! You have mountains to climb @One_Putt_Blunder

edited Aug 5, 2019 10:54pm #318

Cleo's Bath, Pinecrest lake. Brutal day that hurt way more than it should for a 7 mile hike with a little class 2 scramble. Got a later start than I would prefer. Ended up being a little over 90 degrees and the heat took it's toll on us. Ankle swelled up bad and back was killing me, pretty clear that I should not be hiking until I can get all this sorted out. Was absolutely beautiful though.

Post edited by One_Putt_Blunder on
    18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    WITB Link
  • huckitchuckithuckitchuckit Members Posts: 74 ✭✭

Great view from South Fork Colorado

Leave a Comment