Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Still playing Nike Vapor Combos?

Comments

• CovertCovert Members Posts: 96
    I’ve had a short set of VPCs for a couple years. I just can’t get along with the longer irons, even the 7. I’m switching back to Covert Forged this season, but I’m sure the VPCs will be back in action eventually.
  • MabyboiMabyboi Members Posts: 102 ✭✭✭
    I have tried quite a few irons to see what could replace them, my only real contenders are:

Nike Vapor Pro (5-PW) with current VPC (3-4)

Taylormade P760 (3-4) and P730 (5-PW)

Mizuno MP18 SC (3-4) and MB (5-PW)
  • alecfeltmanalecfeltman AMF Members Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Had the Vpc for a while - few seasons. Even MMproto’d them a bit for a cleaner look.

Switched to MP MC 18 late last year. Now the VPc just sit in my back up bag.
    Taylormade M5 9.0: MRC Kuro Kage Silver 60X
    Taylormade M5 3-15: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Taylormade M3 5-19: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-PW: Project X 6.5
    Titleist SM6 51F & 55M DG Tour Issue S400
    Taylormade Hi Toe 59 DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • C-radC-rad Members Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Where can i find a set of mint or excellent condition?
    Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag
  • Viktoryred3Viktoryred3 Just playing the game... Members Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    Probably have one more season in my VPCs...best irons that I’ve hit other than my buddy’s mp54s
  • SanzabarSanzabar Members Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    C-rad wrote:

Where can i find a set of mint or excellent condition?

There is a set on ebay that is REALLY clean.
    Ping G400 Max w/Evolution II 569
    Callaway V-Series Heavenwood
    Nike Vapor Speed 23*
    TaylorMade P790
    Nike Engage 56/60* & Callaway PM Grind 64*
    Nike Method Origin B1-01 Custom

#Colts #ForTheShoe #COLTure
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,327 ClubWRX
    Shot my career-best round with the VPC. Still have them but not gaming them.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hammer22 wrote:

I was just at GG today too getting a new putter grip on. I checked the JPX HM and could see the back of the 4 iron but failed to check the Forged (doh!).

Having always played the undercut style iron (52's 53's 54's VPC's) the Forged seem like a natural fit. I just happened to hit the MMC's and they felt dang nice too.

There is a bit more junk-in-the-trunk with the HMPro, but not the Forged. Testing 7-iron to 7-iron, got the same results, but they do feel nice. May try the HMP 4-iron at some point, but not a priority.

Curious to what ball? Haha

The '18 TM Project (a) (or TP5-mini as I like to call it). Total sleeper that beat out every other ball I was comparing. Started digging them when I played Pebble Beach late last year since they are used at the practice facilities. Awesome ball that can be found for less than $30 all day long, plus TM sends out a free dozen after every four. Sold off all 60+ dozen of my RZN's and put about 10-dozen of the (a)'s in my stash. Paying $40-50 for "premium" balls is almost comical.

That Project (a) ball is a great ball. I've used it quite a bit over the winter, and I don't have any complaints about it. If I didn't get such a good deal on my TP5 balls, I'd have no issue playing the Project (a) more regularly.
    WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Diamana 'Ahina 70s or Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16.5* with Motore Speeder 8.3 Stiff
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 4 iron PTx Pro with RIP Tour 115s,  5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro DGTI S400 (4 iron isn't in the bag very often)
    Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Hogan TK wedge, 52* bent to 53* Mid and 56* bent to 58* RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
    Hammer22 wrote:

Mabyboi wrote:

Anyone still playing these?

I love my VPC’s and can’t seem to find anything to replace them with...

Hit the Mizuno 919F and you'll forget all about them. Ironically, Nike seemed to have been the first to add more weight toe side to get the CG more central, and the 919F has that mastered as well. Played the VPC's a couple seasons back and really liked them, but a custom fit set of 919F blows them away.

When you say that they added weight to the toe to move the CG more to the middle, would that have any affect on leaving the face open a degree or two at impact?
  • Hammer22Hammer22 Members Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mabyboi wrote:

When you say that they added weight to the toe to move the CG more to the middle, would that have any affect on leaving the face open a degree or two at impact?

Not necessarily that, but if you catch a shot more towards the toe, it feels more solid than the 900F and isn't going to lose as much juice. I have a natural draw and hit these pretty straight, but they were also properly fitted.
    nflam-button.png
    I was at GT today renting out one of their bays and decided to look at the Taylormade P760’s... I put the 7i from the fitting cart next to my VPC 7 iron, and they’re EXTREMELY similar. Makes me think even more about whether switching would even do anything...
  • pat_katopat_kato ClubWRX Posts: 79 ClubWRX
    aab47ac31634f4be0215ff8669484633.jpg

Just got my set in the mail today. Such a difference from the Speeds. Can wait to get these out on the course.
    Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback 9º HZRDUS Smoke Stiff Flex
    Fairway: Cobra F9 3/4 ATMOS Blue 7 Stiff Flex
    Hybrid: Cobra F9 3H ATMOS 7 Stiff Flex
    Irons: Nike Vapor Combo Pro Irons 5-AW True Temper Dynalite 105 Stiff Flex
    Wedges: Titleist SM7 52º, 56º, 60º Stock Shaft
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5
  • zetazetazetazeta Members Posts: 115 ✭✭

I just started playing golf again after a 1.5 year hiatus.... the only part of my game that hasn't fully disappeared is my irons! Still loving my VPC's after all these years. For those that have moved on to other irons, which ones would you say were the most similar in terms of forgiveness, flight, and feel?

Nike Vapor Fly Pro - Driver - Diamana Blue S+60 stiff
    Nike Vapor Fly - 3 Wood - Diamana Blue S+70 stiff
    Taylormade UDI - 2 Iron - Aldila Rip 110 stiff
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo - 4-PW - DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MP-T5 High Bounce - 52.9, 56.14, 60.12
    NikeMidnight Method 006
  • RamminMoparRamminMopar IllinoisMembers Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

What's the general consensus of the pro combos and pro forged?

• shakeyshakey OvenWRX 1 Members Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@zetazeta said:
    I just started playing golf again after a 1.5 year hiatus.... the only part of my game that hasn't fully disappeared is my irons! Still loving my VPC's after all these years. For those that have moved on to other irons, which ones would you say were the most similar in terms of forgiveness, flight, and feel?

For me it’s been the Mizuno 919 Tours. Although I think the VPCs are more forgiving. I’m bouncing back and forth between the two sets right now.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w/Tensei Orange 60 S
    Ping G410 3(14.5) w/Diamana Ahina 70 S
    NIKE VR Pro II Hybrid 3 (21) w/PX Graphite 5.5
    Nike VPC 4-PW w/Modus 120 Stiff

TM Milled Grind Black 52 SB and 58 LB w/Modus Tour 125 Wedge
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

TM TP5 Pix
  • noahoscar986noahoscar986 Members Posts: 2

No dear I dont have any experience

• B-NadsB-Nads Members Posts: 339 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a mint condition set last fall, never played them, and, in true WRX fashion, ended up trading them to buy P770's. I didn't care for the feel of the 770's, and bounced around a couple different sets, and am now bagging the VPC's. A couple range sessions and one round later I am happy to report I'll be re-gripping, sanding the backs for the proto look, and keeping them in the bag. I'm hitting these coming off of great feeling and friendly Wilson F5's that had the worst distance consistency I've ever had from an iron. These feel as good (more clicky), and the 4 iron, which was the stand-out in the Wilson set, is as easy if not easier to hit, with more distance.

In the C130:
    Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
    3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
    Hybrid - Taylormade M4 19*
    Irons - Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4i-GW
    Wedges - Callaway MD3 56* / PM Grind 60*
    Putter - Odyssey Versa #7
  • leftylamaleftylama Members Posts: 29 ✭✭

I reckon these really flew under most people's radar, yet are one of the best iron sets I've had. Went to P770 but regret not holding onto them.

• ckalinecckalinec Members Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited Jul 24, 2019 10:11pm #410

Any of you guys played Vapor Fly Irons as well as the Vapor Pro Combos? I’m currently playing the Vapor Flys and I like them a good bit. However I found a good deal on some mint VPCs locally.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with both. I took up golf this summer and I’m loving it and I’m improving pretty fast. Trending towards a 16 handicap and I just shot an 88 today (best round so far). Whichever irons I stick with I’d like to go get shafts fit and keep for 5 years or more. Which irons do you think would be better in the long run?

I’m creeping on 200 rounds in the last 2 years with my VPCs and have no intention of replacing them anytime soon.

@ckalinec said:
    Any of you guys played Vapor Fly Irons as well as the Vapor Pro Combos? I’m currently playing the Vapor Flys and I like them a good bit. However I found a good deal on some mint VPCs locally.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with both. I took up golf this summer and I’m loving it and I’m improving pretty fast. Trending towards a 16 handicap and I just shot an 88 today (best round so far). Whichever irons I stick with I’d like to go get shafts fit and keep for 5 years or more. Which irons do you think would be better in the long run?

Obvious answer...the Vapor Fly irons are gonna be more forgiving and prob a little longer per club. If that’s what you need, definitely stick with them.

That being said, I still have my VPCs in the back up bag and am considering putting them back in play. They are more forgiving in the long irons than what I’m playing right now.

It’s all up to you. Some people might say the VPCs will make you a better ball striker if you play them, but I know a lot of solid players using GI irons.

TM TP5 Pix

Found a really clean set on eBay for $350. Stoked to get these in and put them up against the Vapor Flys.

• chazpetchazpet Members Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Still playing my VPCs that I got last year and love them, especially love the 3 iron off the tees and the fairway! I have been looking to pick up a spare despite mine being in such good shape because I know it will eventually wear out but all the sets I see for sale are 4-PW, anyone got any suggestions?

Gobra F9 Avalance - Atmos TS Blue 6S Stiff
    Cobra F9 3 wood - Atmos Blue 7S Stiff
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW DG Pro 120 Stiff
    Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M DG S200
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 34" 340g

@chazpet said:
    Still playing my VPCs that I got last year and love them, especially love the 3 iron off the tees and the fairway! I have been looking to pick up a spare despite mine being in such good shape because I know it will eventually wear out but all the sets I see for sale are 4-PW, anyone got any suggestions?

Mine is coming 3-PW. I currently have a 3 Hybrid. Depending on how well I hit it I might be selling the VPC 3. I'll let you know if I end up doing that.

• chazpetchazpet Members Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

@ckalinec said:

@chazpet said:

Mine is coming 3-PW. I currently have a 3 Hybrid. Depending on how well I hit it I might be selling the VPC 3. I'll let you know if I end up doing that.

That would be awesome let me know!

Gobra F9 Avalance - Atmos TS Blue 6S Stiff
    Cobra F9 3 wood - Atmos Blue 7S Stiff
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW DG Pro 120 Stiff
    Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M DG S200
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 34" 340g
  • leomessi10leomessi10 Members Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still playing my VPCs. This is their 3rd season. I took the time to give them the MM Proto look last season. They look cooler than anything on the market IMO. I keep thinking about going to a hotter faced iron like the P790 but I know my clubs, and sure it would be nice to be a club longer but that would just leave bigger gaps between my pw and gw. I find it interesting that the Maltby Playability factor is so low, I've found them to be much more forgiving than the rating would lead you to believe. My miss is toe side with my irons which is why I got VPCs to begin with. The mass out in the toe really helps my mishits. I got my set from nike.com when they were getting out of the club business. They were stupid cheap. Like $375 for a 4-pw brand new set.

Reshafted my VPCs yesterday. Installed Modus Tour 120 Stiff in everything but the 7 iron. Trying a Steelfiber 110 Stiff (soft-stepped once) in the 7. TV Plus 4 grips. I’ll get to test them out tomorrow.

TM TP5 Pix

Buddy (a lefty) was on the hunt for some new irons and came across some near mint VPCs 3-pw for 175$ and bought them in a heartbeat. Needless to say he is stoked.

VPCs come in today. Have a feeling I have a late night range session in my future tonight haha.

• ekimdekimd Members Posts: 1

Just got in a nice 3-aw Nike VPC set from eBay. Appears that the VPC should be a tad easier to hit than my trusty Nike VR pro combos? Looking forward to trying these VPC tomorrow. Also trying find the easiest/best way to MM PROTO this set. Any and all information on how to do that is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file