Ping Bag GOAT?

pierso2pierso2 Shooters ShootMembers Posts: 2,605 ✭✭
edited Nov 9, 2017 in Golf Bags/Carts/Headcovers #1
I'm looking at buying another ping golf bag and while I was looking through my collection, I was realizing how many different styles I had and how great they all were. Then I got to thinking (yes it's scary for me too) what is the best Ping bag made to date? I think the Hoofer really changed the game and I think we would all agree with that but I'm talking about what style of Ping bag was the best?

My gut says the 4 series. Plenty of room for clubs, pockets are awesome, light weight for walking and fits in a cart really well. But I do love the Voyage which was the precursor to the 4 series I guess.

Hoofer 3 was amazing and the pockets were great but it was a bit on the heavy side.

J-Bag was a big winner too. The mesh pocket near the bottom was a great idea for larger water bottles and it was just the right balance between weight and size for walking and riding.

I think we can all agree that the Ping Hoofer Xtreme was a dud with that retractable strap that looked super goofy.

I don't have any experience with their cart bags but please weigh in on your experiences!
Post edited by Unknown User on
Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2

Comments

• Boricua GolfBoricua Golf Members Posts: 3,380 ✭✭
    I have the Hoofer 4 (14 way), very light and plenty of storage, one of my favorite stand bags...
    Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
    Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
    Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
    Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
    2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X
  • Par-TPar-T Members Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I voted cart bag. My Pioneer has everything I need for riding or Clic Gear 3.5 which is most of my rounds... . I also have Hoofer 14 way for walking quick 9 (or more) and it's perfect for that.... There is some club tangle with the 14 but it doesn't really bother me as I usually only have 7 - 8 clubs when using it......
    Ping G400 Max 10.5
    Ping G400 3w 14.5
    Ping G400 h19*
    Ping I-Series e1 4-U
    Ping Glide 54ss, 58es
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
    Ping Pioneer
    Clic-Gear 3.5+
  • Mtngolfer1Mtngolfer1 Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,683 ✭✭
    I think the Hoofer 2 is the Best of All time. Great classic bag, it is still a great bag.
  • b.heltsb.helts Members Posts: 2,825 ✭✭
    edited Nov 8, 2017 #5
    OG Hoofer. Iconic, and for good reason. It really was/is a spectacular bag. The straps are perfect; you can backpack it or carry it single shoulder like a looper. Plenty of room but not too much to be heavy.

Perfect

The L8 was also an awesome bag, just a tiny bit too small to compete with the Hoofer.
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Members Posts: 3,321 ✭✭
    I think you need to add a choice for the Hoofer 14 because the standard Hoofer only has a 5 way divider.
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett Members Posts: 3,460 ✭✭
    I thought the '16 4 Series was a winner.

S1160021.JPG
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]
    http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • dparkdpark Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭
    edited Nov 10, 2017 #8
    The original Hoofer was the GOAT. Had it in college and for several years afterwards but basically shifted to SunMountain/Titleist water proof bags when I moved to Portland. PIng's waterproof bags couldn't hold a candle to the SM/TItleist StaDry bags unfortunately.

EDIT: When I said original Hoofer, I did mean the ones from the 80-90s like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PING-HOOFER-BLACK-GOLF-BAG-DUAL-STRAP-CLASSIC-1980-90s-SOFT-TOP-VERY-NICE/192359578418?epid=77597119&hash=item2cc9863b32:g:BKIAAOSw22lZ0rIA
    Old stuff:
    1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
    1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
    1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
    1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E
    1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
    1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
    Cobra ZL 10.5 driver
    Adams 5050 16 fairway wood
    Adams A2P 20* hybrid
    Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW
    Titleist SM6 wedges 52, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Napa
  • shortgame85shortgame85 Posts: 749 ✭✭
    Latest Hoofer.
    G25 10.5
    X2 Hot 3 Wood
    X2 Hot 5 Wood
    G25 20 and 23 degree hybrids
    G25 5 - GW
    Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 56.14
    SC Futura X 33 "
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    edited Nov 13, 2017 #10
    Traverse Cart Bag. This one is mine.

download_1.jpg
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    The Perfect Club 21*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    PING Eye 2 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • johnsompjohnsomp Members Posts: 173 ✭✭
    dpark wrote:

The original Hoofer was the GOAT. Had it in college and for several years afterwards but basically shifted to SunMountain/Titleist water proof bags when I moved to Portland. PIng's waterproof bags couldn't hold a candle to the SM/TItleist StaDry bags unfortunately.

EDIT: When I said original Hoofer, I did mean the ones from the 80-90s like this one: https://www.ebay.com...KIAAOSw22lZ0rIA

OG Hoofer last forever. I still have two from 1998 in the basement.
  • Belmont148Belmont148 Members Posts: 1,487 ✭✭
    edited Nov 18, 2017 #12
    I have been wanting a Hoofer bag for a while as I never really got along well with my Callaway Chev bag. Finally found a deal I couldnt pass up and snagged a Limited Edition Digital Camo for $145. I was a little hesitant to get a camo, as I always felt they looked odd on the course, but the colorway on this one is really slick. Doesn’t look cartoony, and truly looks like a salute to military. Plus it looks like the most durable color I could find. The cool US Flag morale patch was a nice touch. Looking forward to getting years of use out of it. I finally have enough pockets and a strap system that I don’t have to fight.
    Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
    F8+ 4W- HZRDUS Black 75 Stiff
    Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
    Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
    Glide Stealth 54SS and 58ES Project X LZ 5.5
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • beluga99beluga99 I can't avenge my partner's death with this pea shooter Members Posts: 895 ✭✭
    I just picked up 2016 4 series and it's a wonderful bag. Overall it's light, roomy, great shoulder strap systems, plenty of storage and minimal club tangle.
    G400
    917 F2
    Anser 18 + 23
    Fli-Hi
    919T 6-P
    Glide 51, 56, 60 ES
    Odyssey
  • adam2883adam2883 Posts: 237 ✭✭
    Have had most of the carry bag models, used the Hoofer 2 and J bag as our team bags while in college, for me the J bag was probably my all time favorite. Good weight but lots of pocket options.
    Driver: Tour Issue 8.5* Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond w/ Diamana DF 70X
    3 Wood: 2016 Tour Issue Taylormade M2 w/ Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
    Hybrid: Gen. 2 PXG 0317X 17* w/ HC Project X Even Flow Black 85g 6.5
    Irons: Taylormade UDI 3 iron w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 105g 6.5
    Ping iBlades-Orange Dot - 4-PW w/ Project X 6.5
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 RAW 52-58 w/Project X 6.0
    Putter: Custom made Slighter Prototype
    Spider X 

Short games don't matter if you hit better approach shots
  • nickosbadnickosbad Posts: 312 ✭✭
    I love PING carry bags, the strap system is just the best ever!

Currently using an all white 2017 4 Series and absolutely loving it

I also still have an immaculate condition all black J-Bag in the attic that I love but have lost the rain good so it’s relegated to back up bag right now

Wish I could find a new hood for it and I’d bring it out of retirement
    Cobra F9 Yellow 9' HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Cobra F9 Tour 4-5 HXRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Taylormade P790 #3 C-Taper 120 Stiff
    Taylormade P770 4-PW C-Taper 120 Stiff
    Nike Engage 52' Square
    Nike Engage 56' Square
    Nike Engage 58' Dual Sole
    Nike Engage 60' Toe Sweep
    Taylormade Spider X Copper
    Ping Anser Nickel
    Ping DLX Cart / 4 Series White Tour Carry Bag
  • pierso2pierso2 Shooters Shoot Members Posts: 2,605 ✭✭
    Over the winter, my Ping bag collection has grown.

Normally, I use my 4 series tour all white but also have 2 J-bags, hoofer 2, L8+ and the 2015 L8.
    Option 1
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
    Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
    Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
    Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
    Adams MB2 GW
    Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
    Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
    Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
    Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
    16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
    Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
    Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
    Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
    Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2
  • Ghost_556Ghost_556 Members Posts: 115
    sdandrea wrote:

Traverse Cart Bag.

download_1.jpg

I like my Traverse cart bag, it's just the right size and weight for a push cart. The Pioneer is a great bag, but just a bit too big IMO. The OG Hoofer is iconic. But that camo hoofer is crazy cool tho, it has molle on the bottom pocket! You can swap a back up holster from your chest rig onto it for courses in disruptive environments.
  • J.R.J.R. Jr. Boomers Posts: 403 ✭✭
    Hoofer 2 easily best bag would love to find another mint one best straps and stand and the best pocket design
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Ping G30LST 9* Kuro Kage Proto TiNi 60X<br />SLDR TS 14* Kuro Kage TiNi<br />TM RSI 2 smoke-Mizuno Fli-Hi 3 Iron X100<br />Cobra AMP Cell Pro 4-5 CB 6-W MB Nippon Modus 3 125x<br />Cobra King Pur 53* 59* Nippon Modus 3 130x<br />Ping Redwood D66 Red Iomic[/font]
  • Ping PlayerPing Player Posts: 156 ✭✭
    I currently carry the newest Hoofer. However, I prefer the Hoofer circa 2006ish. For me it's a more comfortable bag to carry.
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Posts: 653 ✭✭
    Hoofer 2 bag.... that's it that's the list.

With a bunch of Ping clubs in it.
  • 1970.gpp1970.gpp Unregistered Posts: 1,813 ✭✭
    Ghostwedge wrote:

Hoofer 2 bag.... that's it that's the list.

With a bunch of Ping clubs in it.
    Even though I have a 4 Series, I thought the Hoofer 2 was best thought out bag PING ever made. Durable, reasonably light, great colorways. It had it all.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,013 ✭✭
    b.helts wrote:

OG Hoofer. Iconic, and for good reason. It really was/is a spectacular bag. The straps are perfect; you can backpack it or carry it single shoulder like a looper. Plenty of room but not too much to be heavy.

Perfect

The L8 was also an awesome bag, just a tiny bit too small to compete with the Hoofer.

I had the OG Hoofer. I still keep clubs in it in the basement. It’s in better shape than the Hoofer I bought 3 years ago. My only complaint is it didn’t come with a rain hood. Most durable stand bag ever.

4 Series was awful. The fabric failed and ripped. Took it in for a refund and got a Hoofer.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • llamontllamont Members Posts: 1,823 ✭✭
    Hoofer 2 because it added full length dividers...
    I love golf
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,166 ✭✭
    I just really got into the Ping Bag thing recently--- Those that know me know I have a lot of stuff and that includes golf bags--- I ended up at a local Goodwill the other night and saw a original Hoofer-- Looked in good shape all the zippers worked but the rain hood was missing but heck I do not play in the rain anyhow. Gave $9.95 for it. It is a somewhat faded blue and has a big "W" on the ball pocket and "Eagles" on the side. Got it home lubed the zippers with WD-40 and they worked fine. Took some Totally Awesome cleaner that I diluted down and sprayed it down soaked it a while and then sprayed it off with the hose. Cleaned up fantastically. Re lubed the zippers after it dried. Darn classy old school bag. Easy to handle in and out of the house and toting to the range. I mostly ride now (Ankle issues) and it rides good on an electric cart and does not walk around. Stand works good too. I think someone had this bag in High School or College and after school it never saw the light of day until I got it. Looks good with my signature set in it-- I will be a little condescending here those 82 Mac blades look good in any bag--- One great bag wish I had discovered them sooner--- That one will be front line until it falls apart---
    Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stock Regular shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
    Irons 3 thru 9 KZG Kyoei Forged CB 1st generation Swing Science 400 Graphite Senior flex
    PW Cleveland Special 588 45* bent to 47* Stock Cleveland Steel Shaft
    SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore S-300 ( old dependable)
    Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft rusty and lead taped as heck named "Rusty"
    Bag-- Jones Classic non stand
    Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want **** the USGA & R&A
    Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
    Vintage
    Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
    3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
    Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green or 1980 Macgregor VIP 3 thru PW Hogan Apex #2 shafts " The famous Bastardized Macs"
    PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special-- Will rotate out when old dependable does not behave
    Putter ( subject to change) Lil David 8802
    Bag Old School Power Bilt orange mini staff
  • byflow2byflow2 Members Posts: 131 ✭✭
    BIG STU wrote:

I just really got into the Ping Bag thing recently--- Those that know me know I have a lot of stuff and that includes golf bags--- I ended up at a local Goodwill the other night and saw a original Hoofer-- Looked in good shape all the zippers worked but the rain hood was missing but heck I do not play in the rain anyhow. Gave $9.95 for it. It is a somewhat faded blue and has a big "W" on the ball pocket and "Eagles" on the side. Got it home lubed the zippers with WD-40 and they worked fine. Took some Totally Awesome cleaner that I diluted down and sprayed it down soaked it a while and then sprayed it off with the hose. Cleaned up fantastically. Re lubed the zippers after it dried. Darn classy old school bag. Easy to handle in and out of the house and toting to the range. I mostly ride now (Ankle issues) and it rides good on an electric cart and does not walk around. Stand works good too. I think someone had this bag in High School or College and after school it never saw the light of day until I got it. Looks good with my signature set in it-- I will be a little condescending here those 82 Mac blades look good in any bag--- One great bag wish I had discovered them sooner--- That one will be front line until it falls apart---
    got a picture of it?
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly Z 9.5 Stock Stiff Shaft[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR 15* Project X 6.0 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Utility 18* Aldia rouge 65g S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon 565 4,5 - Srixon 6-PW Dynamic Gold AMT S300[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 52* [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 56*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 60*[/font]
    Bettinardi [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Queen Bee #9[/font]
  • Frisco KidFrisco Kid Members Posts: 150 ✭✭
    I’ve never owned a Hoofer but they seem to set the standard for carry/stand bags. I did pickup a DLX cart bag and I’m very impressed with the styling and quality build. It’s made with a vinyl like material like a staff bag. Should make it easier to keep clean, hope I don’t regret getting it in white.
    Ping G30 Driver Tour 65 R
    Ping G30 3 Metal TFC419 R
    Ping G30 5 Metal TFC419 R
    Ping I200 4-P Modus 105 R
    Ping Glide 2.0 50SS, 54SS, 58SS CFS
    Ping G Sigma Tyne Putter
    Ping DLX Cart Bag
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Members Posts: 10,136 ✭✭
    Ping pioneer is an amazing cart bag. The thing seems indestructible. But I always felt the hoofer was a bit overrated so maybe i'm just weird.
  • JayMattJayMatt Posts: 92
    Ping bag all the way. Have not owned anything else since I started playing. But if you like them check out Shapland bag. They seem about similar in function but with a little more style
  • TheRavenTheRaven Members Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited Aug 6, 2018 #29

Ping pioneer is an amazing cart bag. The thing seems indestructible. But I always felt the hoofer was a bit overrated so maybe i'm just weird.

I picked up the Pioneer this year for on my 3.5+ ClicGear and when riding. The bag is wonderful and functions really well on the push cart. Worth the money.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Driver: Ping G25 10.5°
    4w: Ping G25 16.5°
    3h: Ping G20 20°
    4i-U: Ping i20
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 56° & 60°
    Putter: Ping Scottsdale Anser Remake BeNi
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
    Ball: Bridgestone e6
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    PING Traverse. You're welcome.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    The Perfect Club 21*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    PING Eye 2 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    Doesn't it depend on the function of the bag? Carry, Cart, Waterproof
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8