How many of you are trying single plane swings?

grantc79

Ive been playing single length irons for a couple years now and I'm starting to take it to the next level and go single plane as well.

Curious how many of you have tried out the single plane swing? Kuchar flat or Dechaumbeau steep or otherwise.

FWIW I'm going with the steep single plane like Dechambeau I'm 6'4 and play my 7 iron are 68 lie angle so like 6 degrees or more up.

Just curious if anyone else is trying it and how much success they are having. So far the steeper I go the more distance I lose but the straighter I hit it.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I unknowingly switched to a more single plane swing. I have always struggled with a big slice/fade and unknowingly corrected it by switching to a single plane. For me at least, single plane promotes a more in-to-out path and gives me better consistency.

I had a lesson recently and the instructor reset me to having the more conventional two plane and boom, slice/fade came howling back. Took me a little while to figure out why and I believe this is the culprit. For now i'm going against the swing doctors orders and sticking with the one-plane, although he did fix some legwork stuff that i'm sticking with.

I'm doing the Hardy swing, which is like the Kuchar one. My cousin switched to it a while back and he had good results, but i was hesitant because i liked hitting big draws with my two plane swing. At the end he convinced me and I like the results, but took me a while to get the two plane stuff out of my system, and I went back and forth for months, i'd practice one plane and then i'd play two, It didn't start to click until I bought the 4 disc DVD set from Hardy's website, which revealed that I just had elements of the one plane, but not the whole thing. Then I went to see Hardy in person and that helped exponentially.

At the end the concept is really too simple, which was an impediment to me, much simpler than a two plane. I think it would be much easier to someone new at golf to pick it up than for someone to switch.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Single plane swing ? Similar marketing name to Hardy's one plane swing ?

Nothing belongs to Hardy, One and Two plane is how he talks about his theory of two swing styles he identified on the opposite ends of his spectrum.

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

Ive been playing single length irons for a couple years now and I'm starting to take it to the next level and go single plane as well.

Curious how many of you have tried out the single plane swing? Kuchar flat or Dechaumbeau steep or otherwise.

FWIW I'm going with the steep single plane like Dechambeau I'm 6'4 and play my 7 iron are 68 lie angle so like 6 degrees or more up.

Just curious if anyone else is trying it and how much success they are having. So far the steeper I go the more distance I lose but the straighter I hit it.

Hi guys,

I just started single planning and so far I would say it's very easy to lean. I'm using my std set Calaway XR pro-2015 without too much trouble. My single plan is based more on Moe Norman. Check out my swing below from my second lesson which was 4 days after the first one. Today is day 10 of the new swing pattern.

I'm sure single engle clubs would speed the learning process but I'm going to wait a bit and let my swing set a few months before splurging for new clubs. My coach is going to Edel for a custom set in January and I'm sure I'll get to demo his equipment.

I just put on jumbo CP2 WRAP as the larger grips seem to work better with the new single plane moe "claw" grip.

http://www.hudl.com/...KWO2?e=11283693

http://www.hudl.com/...YwWM?e=11283679

http://www.hudl.com/...Mukk?e=11280299

http://www.hudl.com/...4UHr?e=11283790

Hi guys,

I just started single planning and so far I would say it's very easy to lean. I'm using my std set Calaway XR pro-2015 without too much trouble. My single plan is based more on Moe Norman. Check out my swing below from my second lesson which was 4 days after the first one. Today is day 10 of the new swing pattern.

I'm sure single engle clubs would speed the learning process but I'm going to wait a bit and let my swing set a few months before splurging for new clubs. My coach is going to Edel for a custom set in January and I'm sure I'll get to demo his equipment.

I just put on jumbo CP2 WRAP as the larger grips seem to work better with the new single plane moe "claw" grip.

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/wBxiKWO2?e=11283693

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/seYUYwWM?e=11283679

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/wvbLMukk?e=11280299

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/Tyba4UHr?e=11283790

That looks like a easy repeatable swing mate, what's your distances and hdcp?

Hi guys,

Yours is one of the least contrived single axis swings I've seen. Nice job!

I bought some of the Ideal Mechanical Advantage videos 15-20 years ago, and thought they were good. I did well with it, and probably would have done better if I were able to visit Scott Hazledine for a few lessons. The odd part, was that I played some of my best golf after I decided to put the grip back in my fingers. For about four to five months, I could just "point and shoot" where I wanted the ball to go.

Hi guys,

That looks like a easy repeatable swing mate, what's your distances and hdcp?

Thanks, I'm a 10 handicap. The 7 is flying 160 on a 90% swing.

Hey Grant that looks great. I could hear the CLICK. of a well-struck shot. How long have you been one-plaining? Have you had lessons? or are you DIYing it?

Also, Are you trying to emulate Brison? I'm going more Moe Norman.

Are using moes grip? Because if u are which one, the one he demonstrated or the one he actually used.

Moe said that no one should try to copy his swing. Im big Moe fan, and understand basically what i believe his secrect was, i believe it works no matter what plane u are.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Hey Grant that looks great. I could hear the CLICK. of a well-struck shot. How long have you been one-plaining? Have you had lessons? or are you DIYing it?

Are using moes grip? Because if u are which one, the one he demonstrated or the one he actually used.

Moe said that no one should try to copy his swing. Im big Moe fan, and understand basically what i believe his secrect was, i believe it works no matter what plane u are.

What’s his secret? The fact he lived and breathed golf, and practiced every moment of his life from adolescence until death?

Backswing plane, IMO, is way overrated. Here’s my evidence: every great player that’s ever existed has had a different swing. Nicklaus and Hogan, two of the 3 best to ever play, couldn’t have looked any more different at the top.

The key is to find the right motion for your body that allows you to react on the downswing properly in order to achieve consistent impact. The feeling of swinging back and down on the same plane is a good one though. Even Jim Furyk feels like he’s doing that (he’s said so many times).

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Whats his secret? The fact he lived and breathed golf, and practiced every moment of his life from adolescence until death?

Backswing plane, IMO, is way overrated. Heres my evidence: every great player thats ever existed has had a different swing. Nicklaus and Hogan, two of the 3 best to ever play, couldnt have looked any more different at the top.

The key is to find the right motion for your body that allows you to react on the downswing properly in order to achieve consistent impact. The feeling of swinging back and down on the same plane is a good one though. Even Jim Furyk feels like hes doing that (hes said so many times).

I agree with what u saying on backswing plane, u have to find ur bodies matchups.

On moe's secrect, there are few videos on where ge talks bout how he use to practice as a kid. All repetitice motions. He learned these motions through practicing them without hitting balls. Also what Richie Hunt talks about 'the long low spot' makes alot sense. Finally he is big on self belief, which i think many players either dont have it or fake it.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I don’t believe there are mutilple proper backswings.

The most efficient is the simplest.

Can some people not pull it off and they have to do something else? Sure.

But the simpler the better and the least plane shifts leads to more simplicity.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

What are the basics of the single plane swing? Off the top of my head...club in palm of hands, wider stance, club in line with left arm, lower spine at address? Any others? What's the swing thought?

edit: here's a nice explanation. It looks like it doesn't require any lower body action on the ds, which is nice.

What are the basics of the single plane swing? Off the top of my head...club in palm of hands, wider stance, club in line with left arm, lower spine at address? Any others? What's the swing thought?

edit: here's a nice explanation. It looks like it doesn't require any lower body action on the ds, which is nice.

Search “Scott Hazledine” for a blog entry he made on the grip. I think it’s a Wordpress blog.

I don't believe there are mutilple proper backswings.

The most efficient is the simplest.

Can some people not pull it off and they have to do something else? Sure.

But the simpler the better and the least plane shifts leads to more simplicity.

Yes, the simplier the better, but I do not agree with the second statement. It depends on the characteristics of a swing. For a natural double shifter it is simplier to change the plane twice (from EP to TSP and back to EP) than only once and to return on TSP to the ball.

What do you mean by "doesn't require any lower body action on the ds"?

In my swing the lower body reacts to work with the upper body rotation. I don't think about or activate my legs or hips, it just moves to accommodate what my upper is doing

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

Single plane swing is different from one plane swing.

Single plane is what moe norman was doing when natural golf paid him money. Not the swing he went on the Canadian tour with.

The problem with the single plane swing, is that the hands come through the ball too high. With the handle stood up, the hands have to flip and the face rotate. With a lower handle through impact, the face closes much slower. That's why EE makes it hard to have a consistent ball flight

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

Single plane is what moe norman was doing when natural golf paid him money. Not the swing he went on the Canadian tour with.

The problem with the single plane swing, is that the hands come through the ball too high. With the handle stood up, the hands have to flip and the face rotate. With a lower handle through impact, the face closes much slower. That's why EE makes it hard to have a consistent ball flight

Can you explain the difference please?

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Single plane is swinging on the same plane throughout the entire swing. This requires the golfer to stand further from the ball with high hands, or play very upright clubs. 99% of tour players shift planes (club gets steeper in backswing and shallows in downswing) with the exception of Bryson D.

One plane is a Jim Hardy term which means at the top of the backswing, the lead arm is parallel to the shoulders. In a two plane swing, it's above the shoulder line. One plane swing is similar to most modern rotation style swings. Two plane would be someone like Davis Love.

Single length clubs don't necessarily have to mean you change your swing style. It just means you don't have 8 different stance width and ball positions. You just have 1.

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

Single plane is swinging on the same plane throughout the entire swing. This requires the golfer to stand further from the ball with high hands, or play very upright clubs. 99% of tour players shift planes (club gets steeper in backswing and shallows in downswing) with the exception of Bryson D.

One plane is a Jim Hardy term which means at the top of the backswing, the lead arm is parallel to the shoulders. In a two plane swing, it's above the shoulder line. One plane swing is similar to most modern rotation style swings. Two plane would be someone like Davis Love.

Single length clubs don't necessarily have to mean you change your swing style. It just means you don't have 8 different stance width and ball positions. You just have 1.

As you say single plane is when the backswing plane is mirrored in delivery by the downswing plane. Can't you have a high single plane - shoulder plane, a low plane - elbow plane and a mid plane. This would not necessarily involve standing further from the ball with high hands.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

I'm not sure, it was more of a question. In the attached video, it was suggested the core/hip pulls the upper half. I wasn't counting that as lower body action ie hip bump or swing from the ground up. But, I guess it is

a lower body action.

As you say single plane is when the backswing plane is mirrored in delivery by the downswing plane. Can't you have a high single plane - shoulder plane, a low plane - elbow plane and a mid plane. This would not necessarily involve standing further from the ball with high hands.

You mean like how Bryson is with 72* lie angle irons? There's still many more who shift planes with success.

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH