Brag on yourself thread!

Comments

• bmurphbmurph Posts: 454 ✭✭
    I hit a house while playing in Florida last week, dead pullhook with a hybrid that I only used because I was afraid of doing the same with my driver. Good times.
  • Ray JacksonRay Jackson Members Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Couple of weeks ago, last tournament of the year to capture player of the year in a Fedex cup type points format - was knuthd 2 strokes to a +2. Thought I had to go out and shoot a gross 67/net 69 to have a chance of winning player of the year, was in tied third going in to the final tournament.

Had it at -5 through 16 holes then hit a flyer on 17 over the green and made actually a good bogey and then chased a birdie on the last and 3 putted for bogey for a 69/net 71.

When the last group came in I had won by one shot. Was very happy with setting a target and strategy of not chasing pins and having birdie putts.

Had a few more low rounds since then and now a +0.9, my lowest ever. The gym and flexibility work and focus on a couple of mechanics has me playing my best golf. Will do some USGA and NCGA events next year.
  • BKN1964BKN1964 Members Posts: 955 ✭✭
    I had two personal bests this weekend:

- First time breaking 80 (shot 79 on a par 72 course)

- First time shooting under par for 9 holes (shot a 35, 1 under on the back nine)

I'm a legitimate 20.1 index. With the course/slope ratings of 65.6/112 that calculates to a 13.1 index for that round.

I was actually pretty embarrassed, as my blind draw partner and I took $41 of the $110 pot (there are multiple games going on for our $10 entry fee) due to shooting so far under our course handicaps.

During the summer I normally play the game at our club that plays the longer tees (6,237), but with the limited number of people who show up during the fall/winter, we combine groups and play a shorter set of tees (5,243) to accommodate the more seasoned members. Course handicaps are adjusted accordingly.

Due to the shorter length I was able to hit less than driver off the tee much of the time. I was able to keep my tee shots in play, my approach shots were mostly really good, and my short game / putting were solid.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,198 ClubWRX
    Just read a study that said the average couple shares an intimate moment around 90 times a year. It started me thinking that it's going to be a helluva busy December.
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,489 ClubWRX
    DavePelz4 wrote:

Just read a study that said the average couple shares an intimate moment around 90 times a year. It started me thinking that it's going to be a helluva busy December.

Is Mrs. Pelz excited or already calling the paramedics?
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,198 ClubWRX

DavePelz4 wrote:

Is Mrs. Pelz excited or already calling the paramedics?

Probably means an extended stay from her battleaxe sweetheart of a mother.
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Posts: 728 ✭✭
    edited Dec 3, 2018 #428
    I am just excited to be posting on this topic for a second time after a year filled with no progress. A couple of weeks ago I finally posted even walking off 18. Last Friday a few too many bogeys, but 5 birdies allowed a 74 and it could have went a couple lower very easily and a good putting round would have made the sixties realistic.

I really have to credit getting away from club HOing and getting back to some plain old irons that I know what to expect from with a decent swing. My driving has been a little worse than I expect from that part of my game and half wedges are pretty poor. On the other hand, full iron shots have been as good from 200yards in as I can ever remember and I will turn 60 this month.

Golf season is over but if I can keep a club in my hand at least once a week or so this winter, I think I have a chance to get my HC where I had hoped to have it at the end of this season! Time to forget equipment and work on golf for a change. If my sig does not show a 5HC this time next year, then I will be disappointed...again :-).
    Taylormade 2017 M2 with Hzrdus stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff [font=arial, sans-serif]Oban Kiyoshi[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Tour Limited[/font]
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z945 with Recoil 110 F4 5i - PW
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,068 ✭✭
    Ending the season feeling far more positive. A course of lessons has improved my iron play and now hitting more greens, and closer to the hole. Winter will be time for short-game and fairway wood practice.
  • SurfDufferSurfDuffer Posts: 3,008 ClubWRX
    In July I reached a par 5 in 2 on one of the most difficult courses in NJ by hitting a 3-wood to pin high 15 feet from 295 with a forced carry over water of 279. Covered the water easily. Easy 2-putt for birdie. My shot of the season and one of the best 3-wood shots I've ever hit during a round.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
    Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
    Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
    Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
    SeeMore FPG Putter
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    My handicap moved from 11.4 to 14.0 in 2 months.

#reverse-brag
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    The Perfect Club 21*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    PING Eye 2 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • mesquite2mesquite2 Members Posts: 759 ✭✭
    Which course in New Jersey?
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,400 ✭✭
    Shot an uncharacteristic 71 (for December) yesterday in the light mist and 48 degrees F.

That's 8.9 degrees Celsius for our forum friends using the Metric System.
  • shoot4parshoot4par Life's A Course ClubWRX Posts: 129 ClubWRX
    I make a solid omelet.
    Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
    On Sunday morning I'll take the back row seat
    If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
    Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White 65 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Hybrid: Idea Pro Black 20 * Project X 6.0 (Iomic White .60)
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s Black standard loft / standard lie (Iomic White .60)
    Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
    Putter: I try to change everyday to ward off monotony and consistency

WITB
  • krcnokrcno Posts: 299 ✭✭
    I won our Club Championship this year as a 5 handicap in a playoff! I was also Sr. Club Champion due to I was the only over 50 guy to play from the tips and had the lowest score of course!
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour AD DI Black 60 X
    Ping I25 14* Tour AD DI 83x
    Adams 18* hybrid tour issue Proforce V2 104g X
    Ping s55 4-PW KBS C-taper 125 S+
    Ping Glide Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* KBS C-Taper 125 S+
    2014 Newport 2 Scotty Cameron putter
    2018 Srixon Staff Bag
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,568 ClubWRX
    Worked over night last night. slept to 2pm. had some food and was like I should go practice. Range was closed so was like ok lets play 9. Started 2-3-2....eagle, birdie, birdie. holed out from 85 yards for eagle on 1.... finished the 9 at -1 which was very good, but definitely felt the nerves standing on the tee on #4 at -4, lol. Golf is a funny game like that. Went out with a headache and not my normal sleep pattern and boom best start of my life.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • SurfDufferSurfDuffer Posts: 3,008 ClubWRX
    edited Dec 5, 2018 #437
    mesquite2 wrote:

Which course in New Jersey?

Galloway National. Link to birds eye view of hole: https://binged.it/2KYwIPe

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
    Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
    Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
    Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
    SeeMore FPG Putter
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,170 ClubWRX
    sdandrea wrote:

My handicap moved from 11.4 to 14.0 in 2 months.

#reverse-brag

We’ll allow it. 😂😂
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 4-pw <br />Vokey 50f/56m/60m wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • Reached the plus side of things this year.
  • I'm better now than when I started playing golf..... marginally!
  • MillerLowLifeMillerLowLife Posts: 667 ClubWRX
    I putted 3 balls in a row on the carpet to the exact same distance, speed, and line this week. You could say 2019 is going to be a birdie fest...
  • MitchellGolfingMitchellGolfing Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭
    I two putted to break 100 after a horrendous round the other day, and felt pretty good about myself.
    Callaway Xr 9* set to 11*, Project X 6.0
    Adams Tightlies 16*,Stock stiff
    Wilson Reflex 4-G Uniflex stock steel
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 54/58* Wedge flex
    Ping Anser 33” Superstroke 3.0
  • GolfGuitarsCarsGolfGuitarsCars Posts: 447 ✭✭
    I've been struggling to break 90 lately and shot 85 yesterday (with a triple bogey) to beat my buddy by two strokes. He's a 9 and I'm a 14. Been a long time since I beat him.
    PING G30 SF Tec 12* (Set to + 1*)
    PING G SF Tec 5W
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19*
    Taylormade Rescue Mid 22*
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 5-GW
    Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 54*/58*
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec 34" 340g
    2016 PING Hoofer
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,335 ClubWRX
    I have not bought a new or used golf club since July!
    DavePelz4 wrote:

You haven't seemed to be posting quite as much lately. ;-)
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,400 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

You mean a helluva last week in December.
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,489 ClubWRX
    I made a bogey from the fringe just over the green where I hit my tee shot on the par 4 18th yesterday. Woohoo, ack, urgghh cough.
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow
  • Jacked_LoftJacked_Loft Steps Ahead Posts: 487 ✭✭
    I have not spent 1 cent on equipment in 2018.

Just got to get through Christmas unscathed, and I'll get a lifetime achievement award.
    WIMB:

`16 M1 9.5 Fuji Evo TS 661
    `17 M1 3&5 Kuro Kage 70
    P790 3I Nippon 950
    P770 4-GW Nippon 950
    MG 56° LB KBS REV
    Spider Tour BLK
    H2NO Carry
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DCPosts: 1,668 ✭✭
    Joined a CC a couple weeks ago. Just in time for the winter, lol.
    Hive Tour Titles: 2
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,890 ✭✭
    I received an early Christas gift of an excellent bottle of rum (that I have never heard of) and have had only one drink from it.

It was a really, really big drink.
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
    augustgolf wrote:

I received an early Christas gift of an excellent bottle of rum (that I have never heard of) and have had only one drink from it.

It was a really, really big drink.

Is it good and do you mind sharing the label?