Circle City Chili Dipper- Indy Golf Thread

Comments

• ChrismydawgChrismydawg JLo Members Posts: 395 ✭✭
    Brooksie12 wrote:

Has anyone ever been to Swan Lake Resort? Have a group getting together this summer and looking for a good stay and play package. Prefer to just stay at one site rather than bounce around to different courses.

Any other places worth checking out. I'd say North of Indy as we will be coming from Chicago.

Thanks.

I haven't either; a buddy from up north has done it a few times - I hear conditions are good, pretty consistent, but the courses are kinda vanilla. I'm going up to Island Hills in Michigan with a group this July, they've got nice new condos and the course is otherwise private and gets solid reviews (but only one course on-site).

I'm a member at Island Hills. I think you will enjoy it. Very cool area for a guys trip because its so secluded. The course is always in great shape especially the greens. Great restaurant and pool as well. The condos overlook the signature 17th hole where people have been known to hit balls off the patios to the 17th green when no one is around. Enjoy your stay
  • Bob CatBob Cat Golfopath Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked up Island Hills and watched the short video history of Lake Templane. Very interesting. Looks like a great place.

"I challenge, transform, and instill confidence in young men through the life lessons learned from the game of golf."

Taylormade M1
    TaylorMade R5 Dual (3) / R580 (7)
    Ping i15 / Zing 2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
    TM Spider Tour Black
    Titleist AVX
    Sun Mountain Four 5
    Clicgear 3.5+
  • SpeedKills7SpeedKills7 Members Posts: 66 ✭✭

Brooksie12 wrote:

Has anyone ever been to Swan Lake Resort? Have a group getting together this summer and looking for a good stay and play package. Prefer to just stay at one site rather than bounce around to different courses.

Any other places worth checking out. I'd say North of Indy as we will be coming from Chicago.

Thanks.

I haven't either; a buddy from up north has done it a few times - I hear conditions are good, pretty consistent, but the courses are kinda vanilla. I'm going up to Island Hills in Michigan with a group this July, they've got nice new condos and the course is otherwise private and gets solid reviews (but only one course on-site).

I'm a member at Island Hills. I think you will enjoy it. Very cool area for a guys trip because its so secluded. The course is always in great shape especially the greens. Great restaurant and pool as well. The condos overlook the signature 17th hole where people have been known to hit balls off the patios to the 17th green when no one is around. Enjoy your stay

Unfortunately when I looked into it they were booked the weekend we had planned. Will check it out next year.
  • BubbBubb Members Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Cat wrote:

I just looked up Island Hills and watched the short video history of Lake Templane. Very interesting. Looks like a great place.

I've done the stay and play at Island Hills a couple times. Great course and fantastic accommodations. Pool and restaurant were nice too, but it's in the middle of nowhere.
    Bubb wrote:
    Bob Cat wrote:

I've done the stay and play at Island Hills a couple times. Great course and fantastic accommodations. Pool and restaurant were nice too, but it's in the middle of nowhere.

Certainly if you’re looking for some night life that isn’t the place. If you want great golf and great amenities that’s where Island Hills can deliver.
  • Brooksie12Brooksie12 Brooksie Members Posts: 15
    Thanks for input gents, I'm pretty pumped for IH visit. We'll get 5 rounds in over 3.5 days, so it's looking like we made a good decision. Now about this weather....
  • FrohlichFrohlich Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    Going to hit Island hills for the first time this summer (been on Michigan golf trips but usually we play further north). Also going to play Glendarrin Hills and Stoatin Brae on the same trip.
  • HoosierHacker89HoosierHacker89 IndianapolisMembers Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Doc are you in pinehurst yet?
    Titleist 910 D3
    R7 steel 4 wood
    Cleveland Ta 5 3-P
    Cleveland 588 51/56
    Odyssey white hot 2 ball
  • DrOldSchoolDrOldSchool Noblesville, INMembers Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doc are you in pinehurst yet?

No I leave tomorrow. Will be there until the 5th then I’m in dc for a conference. Enjoy the snow while I’m gone!
    Doc, your invite must have hit my spam folder. Let me see if I can clear my schedule...

"I challenge, transform, and instill confidence in young men through the life lessons learned from the game of golf."

Taylormade M1
    Ping i15 / Zing 2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
    TM Spider Tour Black
    Titleist AVX
    Sun Mountain Four 5
    Clicgear 3.5+
    Bob Cat wrote:
    Doc, your invite must have hit my spam folder. Let me see if I can clear my schedule...

Solo to Southern Pines March 2-5

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1743692-Solo-to-Southern-Pines-March-2-5

There’s the itinerary... come on down!
    Frohlich wrote:
    Going to hit Island hills for the first time this summer (been on Michigan golf trips but usually we play further north). Also going to play Glendarrin Hills and Stoatin Brae on the same trip.

Glendarin is very nice as well. Some rich guy built a course for himself and named it after his sons Glen and Darin. Opened it to the public and it’s a challenging track with beautiful facilities. I’ve never played Stoatin. Enjoy you trip.
    I've played Glendarin a handful of times. Always in great shape and always see wildlife. Make time for a cocktail on their deck.

Taylormade M1
    Ping i15 / Zing 2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
    TM Spider Tour Black
    Titleist AVX
    Sun Mountain Four 5
    Clicgear 3.5+
  • mark507mark507 ClubWRX Posts: 6 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 1, 2019 4:55pm #465
    FYI - Prairie View is out on Group Golfer. Restrictions: after 11:30 Fri-Sun expires Sept 1. $39 per round with range balls.
  • Richard 77Richard 77 Members Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Bobcat gave me a link to this thread . Where do I find it in the directory without going back to my thread for thr link?
    Not familiar with most of the courses mentioned here. Is there a directory of Indiana golf courses available?
  • train5171train5171 Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I’m thinking of getting the season pass for Pleasant Run/Sarah Shank and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and if it’s worth buying.
    Richard 77 wrote:

Not familiar with most of the courses mentioned here. Is there a directory of Indiana golf courses available?

Welcome aboard... probably the best place to go would be golfadvisor or a similar website like that for info and reviews. What courses are you unfamiliar with?
    I’ve played Ironwood a couple of times, played played Fox Prarie once, played pebble brook brook once. Went out Stoney creek last month to look around.been to the range at grey eagle. That’s it.

Richard 77 wrote:

I’ve played Ironwood a couple of times, played played Fox Prarie once, played pebble brook brook once. Went out Stoney creek last month to look around.been to the range at grey eagle. That’s it.

Lots of good stuff a short drive away if you live in Fishers. You should be a reasonably short commute from The Fort, River Glen, Plum Creek, and Prairie View wherever in Fishers you live. A little further away just north of Noblesville is Purgatory and Bear Slide (BS is just North of Fox Prairie). All are solid tracks, with most found on the discount websites. This is a great area to live with a lot of solid, reasonably priced public golf within an hour's drive if you're willing to travel.
    train5171 wrote:

I'm thinking of getting the season pass for Pleasant Run/Sarah Shank and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and if it's worth buying.

Full disclosure: the asst pro at PR is a close relative of mine.

I've played PR maybe 5 times and only played the front 9 at Shank once so I don't know much about it.

PR always has great greens. Course is fun as are the members I've met so far. Mgmt (family run city course) has improved some tee boxes and updated the clubhouse this winter.

I think you'd enjoy your time there.

Taylormade M1
    Ping i15 / Zing 2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
    TM Spider Tour Black
    Titleist AVX
    Sun Mountain Four 5
    Clicgear 3.5+
    Since I haven’t played a round in almost two years think I might start out a Stoney creek par three for a few rounds their annual fee of 150 unlimited is a bratty good deal I thought.
  • Ironmaster OdditiesIronmaster Oddities Members Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out Angels Crossing in Vicksburg MI. Halfway between Kalamazoo and Elkhart. Rave reviews on condition andlayout

I believe tht Stonehenge in Warsaw is available. Super layout that has fallen on hard times. New ownership now and it is supposedly on the upswing.

Uncle Bob
  • train5171train5171 Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Bob Cat wrote:

train5171 wrote:

I'm thinking of getting the season pass for Pleasant Run/Sarah Shank and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and if it's worth buying.

Full disclosure: the asst pro at PR is a close relative of mine.

I've played PR maybe 5 times and only played the front 9 at Shank once so I don't know much about it.

PR always has great greens. Course is fun as are the members I've met so far. Mgmt (family run city course) has improved some tee boxes and updated the clubhouse this winter.

I think you'd enjoy your time there.
  • 54putts54putts Members Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Richard 77 wrote:
    Since I haven’t played a round in almost two years think I might start out a Stoney creek par three for a few rounds their annual fee of 150 unlimited is a bratty good deal I thought.

If you’re looking for a forgiving course until you get the rust off I highly recommend Sahm.
    The doc and i are talking about playing Wednesday next week on the south side if anyone is interested
    Titleist 910 D3
    R7 steel 4 wood
    Cleveland Ta 5 3-P
    Cleveland 588 51/56
    Odyssey white hot 2 ball
  • mark507mark507 ClubWRX Posts: 6 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 8, 2019 12:01pm #478
    Prestwick Country Club in Avon is on Group Golfer for $20 per round (After 10 on weekends). I'm tempted by the price but is it worth a 30-minute drive to play Prestwick? Any feedback on the course would be appreciated.

Edit - Nevermind - https://www.flyergroup.com/news/local_news/mulligan-for-prestwick/article_03f967f3-34fb-5894-a8ab-f0fda405e725.html
    Yeah, I've heard nothing good about Prestwick, even from government officials from that side of town I play with once in a while.
  • Pigator5Pigator5 Lafayette, INMembers Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Anyone in here ever played Valhalla? Have the chance to play it in June with work and didn't know if anyone had any insight on it?
    I know they hosted the ryder cup there about 10 years ago, and I think it is Kenny Perry's home track. I've never played it, but I'd imagine its amazing.
    Titleist 910 D3
    R7 steel 4 wood
    Cleveland Ta 5 3-P
    Cleveland 588 51/56
    Odyssey white hot 2 ball

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file