Artisan Golf Wedges- Mike Taylor and the old "Oven" crew that made Tiger's clubs

Comments

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,197 ✭✭
    i saw this on instagram as well. i was going to post it but was trying to see if anyone else already had.
    driver: SRIXON Z745
    fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX 4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,505 ✭✭
    OMG! This is awesome! MT is the best! I’ll be getting in touch with him today!
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • jastroudjastroud Hard 8 or soft 7 Posts: 342
    youngwaldo wrote:

Those look sweet. So what was the damage on them?

Wk

I believe he is now walking with a limp and has a 50% less chance of having children.
    Talormade R1 RIP Stiff
    TM TP MC 3-PW KBS Tour S
    TM Tour Preferred ATV 56* & 60*
    Taylormade Spider Mallet 2.0 38"
    Taylormade Lethal/Pro V1
    Titleist Perma Soft ML
    Adidas Tour 360 2.0
  • alecfeltmanalecfeltman AMF Members Posts: 1,565 ✭✭
    Super cool.
    Taylormade M3 9.5: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 70TX
    Taylormade M3 3-15: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3: PXi 6.5
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-PW: Project X 6.5
    Titleist SM6 51F & 55M DG Tour Issue S400
    Taylormade Hi Toe 59 DG Tour Issue S400
    Nike Method B2-01 (Satin Finish)
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,847 ClubWRX
    Will they offer anything for us lefties? Please?
    PING G400 LS 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Titleist T-MB 3 Iron - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour Spec
    Srixon 785 4-P - Nippon Pro Modus 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho DetroitRules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,277 admin
    Crooksc17 wrote:

Are the wedges forged or cast?

Price for wedges?

He told me the price is yet to be firm. He is working with the suppliers to determine a firm price before he can put a final price. He can fulfill early request with standing inventory.

They are all forged.
  • HifadeHifade Somewhere up here or down there Dayton, OHCharter Members Posts: 5,333 ✭✭
    RA3.......gotta say they gave me a 'lil chubby. They look awesome.
    PING G400 MAX 9* - TOUR 65 "X" & PX HZRDUS T1100 6.0
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15* - HZRDUS 6.5 Smoke
    TITLEIST 20* 815 Hybrid - Fuji HB 8.8 Tour Spec
    CALLAWAY '19 Smoke APEX 4-PW - KBS TOUR V "S" (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY MD4 48* S Grind - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5 (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY RAW MD4 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
    ODYSSEY EXO 7S - CUSTOM
    SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 3x Chocolate TOUR NEWPORT BEACH (1 of 3)
    BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,358 ✭✭
    These clubs are just dead ****!
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,178 ClubWRX
    Mitchell wrote:

Great choices as always, personally went with the rawhide finish with fresh blast faces, love the distinctive look, sorta like old growth burl and play as great as they look.

Love the finish on these. Different look but quite classy.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • TWshoot67TWshoot67 TWShoot67 Members Posts: 2,694 ✭✭
    edited Nov 20, 2017 #71
    easyyy wrote:

I teach at the range that shares property with artisan and Mike T was my first boss out of college years ago. With that I have a good relationship with them and have been down there quite a bit. In fact, I saw these wedges earlier this week. Send the boys a message and you will be very excited about the price. Mike told me a price this week and it was very reasonable. The putters and wedges are the best I have seen or felt and I am in staff with another OEM.

Thanks for chiming in. He told me that he had a good relationship with the facility next door. Must be nice to have a place like that next door. I am afraid I would be camped out there all day.

The putters look really good as well.

Richard, Did you talk to Mike in any great detail about the putters he's thinking of making available? Is it going to be like the wedges where you, I or any average equipment ho image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' /> can have Mike say make me my own personal 006 to spec? Or did you not really get into his business model that far?
    Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
    Cobra King LTD w/ Tour only Adila Pink graphics ATX65 R hard stepped
    Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
    TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
    Cobra S3 Pro's 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
    Cobra S3 Gap w/ Nippon 125 S
    Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
    Scotty Cameron 009 SSS 350 Tiffany or
    Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
    Recent Acquisition a Scotty 009 Beached BBC #13 of 50 made, hmm decisions
    Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
    WITB Link
  • wldchld22wldchld22 Members Posts: 3,326 ✭✭

Mula wrote:

hhatch31 wrote:

Hey guys,

The folks out at Artisan are good friends of mine and cant be more excited for what they are doing out at the old oven. When it comes to quality and craftsmanship, you cannot find anything better than the product that they put out. Along with the wedges, they are doing some really neat stuff when it comes to putters (different materials, cg tech, etc.). I have rolled a few of the different head shapes and the feel is just incredible. I know they have a few of the first run available for purchase. If anyone is interested please send them an email at [email protected] to see exactly what they have available. Big things coming from these guys in the next few months.

The face is what I'm really interested in on the putters

Milled face with 3 different depths of milling. Essentially zero, a mid mill, and a deep mill.

Hence #showyourface

Can’t wait to see what they’re hiding
  • easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho DetroitRules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,277 admin
    TWshoot67 wrote:

easyyy wrote:

I teach at the range that shares property with artisan and Mike T was my first boss out of college years ago. With that I have a good relationship with them and have been down there quite a bit. In fact, I saw these wedges earlier this week. Send the boys a message and you will be very excited about the price. Mike told me a price this week and it was very reasonable. The putters and wedges are the best I have seen or felt and I am in staff with another OEM.

Thanks for chiming in. He told me that he had a good relationship with the facility next door. Must be nice to have a place like that next door. I am afraid I would be camped out there all day.

The putters look really good as well.

Richard, Did you talk to Mike in any great detail about the putters he's thinking of making available? Is it going to be like the wedges where you, I or any average equipment ho image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' /> can have Mike say make me my own personal 006 to spec? Or did you not really get into his business model that far?

I have talked to him a lot over the last couple of weeks. Over the years we have gotten to know each other and I respect his body of work so much.

They intend to go slow and deliberately. They are set on quality over quantity. He talks about a client as he talked in the past about his tour players. Each have their own customer number and product history. As you order a new wedge the specs and notes are preserved from teh last build.

The putters are made in the same shop and lead by John. Heard the feel like butter. I have inquired about getting one. Mike said that John would reach out to advise price and how they will proceed.

R
  • tyrotyro Members Posts: 2,604 ✭✭
    These are by far the best looking wedges I've seen in a LONG time! I miss the look of my SM4's and these are really close. If they are forged and offer custom grinds, they had me at hello.
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭
    Is Artisan Golf going to produce iron sets?
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD IZ 7S
    Titleist TS2 15 GD TourAD F-85S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • SASpeederSASpeeder SASpeeder Posts: 86 ClubWRX
    easyyy wrote:

Ahhh... [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/6647/tigers-new-irons-pics-from-nike-oven-handmade-customs/"]Mike Taylor[/url] and some of the OG Oven crew from the old Nike Oven got the band back together again. Making wedges and putters to start. Instagram link... [url="https://www.instagram.com/artisangolftx/"]https://www.instagra.../artisangolftx/[/url]

I heard this and called Mike to see what was going on. Said they are building clubs again under a new name Artisan Golf. Made in Texas in the old Nike Oven facility. Same machines, facility and partial crew. David Franklin retired but Mike Taylor and a few others are back together.

I asked him to make me a set of gamers. I figured if he can make Tiger Woods wedges I can make them for this hack. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> I asked him under one condition... that I pay full price for them. Unfortunately he didnt tell me how much they are. Errrr. Told me he would invoice only after I received them and approved of the work.

Mike Taylor is honestly one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He always has been one of the greats.

They came yesterday. I was able to pick out everything. Grind, finish, stampings and paintfill colors. I went with Raw finish in a higher bounce (12 and 8) 56* and 52*. Asked for some heel relief to allow me to open up the 56* as well.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/artisangolftx/"]https://www.instagra.../artisangolftx/[/url]

Please please please stop teasing me!! These look like they belong in my bag....immediately!! Beautiful!!
  • BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,260 ✭✭
    The og version of the Nike SV - one with a dark oily finish. My favourite wedge head shape for gap and sand.
    LTD Pro (9.5*) - Matrix Type C Prototype 70X
    M2 Tour (15*)  or  (16.5*) - Black Tie 80M4-X  
    P790 UDI #2 (18*)  / TP UDI #3 (19*) - Black Tie HM4 105X  or  Bridgestone XD-H (18*) - Speeder TS 9.8X
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*) Nike VR Forged (56*) Cleveland RTX 2 (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

• BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,642 ✭✭
    BearQ wrote:

The og version of the Nike SV - one with a dark oily finish. My favourite wedge head shape for gap and sand.

Mine was the SV Tour. The 60/10 was like a magic wand for me around the greens.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,045 ✭✭
    BottleCap wrote:

Yes. Already are.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Any Chance TW appears with TM stamped wedge that looks very similar to these?

I would be surprised if he doesn't have TM wedges in the bag at Hero. You would think he would have found his desired wedge set up and grind by now. You guys think he doesn't like the Milled grind and TM is making his own unique wedge?

These wedges by artisan are a thing of beauty!!
  • cvhookem63cvhookem63 Fujikura Ventus Experience ETXClubWRX Posts: 4,664 ClubWRX
    BottleCap wrote:

Like these?

DfKUpoZ.jpg
    WITB Link
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Fujikura Speeder 857 TR-X
    NIKE Vapor Fly 14* Fujikura Rombax P95X
    NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4 Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
    TaylorMade P770 5-9 X100
    NIKE OVEN Engage 46* X100 | Engage 50*SS / 55*SS / 60*DS S400
    SCOTTY CAMERON Select Squareback
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,045 ✭✭
    cvhookem63 wrote:

BottleCap wrote:

Like these?

DfKUpoZ.jpg

Man those look amazing ! Must be one lucky 🍀 dude to be getting those ! Probably a VIP of industry. Or maybe a major champ !? You can never tell !
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • QuickFeetQuickFeet Members Posts: 1,606 ✭✭
    dfegan358 wrote:

Any Chance TW appears with TM stamped wedge that looks very similar to these?

I would be surprised if he doesn't have TM wedges in the bag at Hero. You would think he would have found his desired wedge set up and grind by now. You guys think he doesn't like the Milled grind and TM is making his own unique wedge?

These wedges by artisan are a thing of beauty!!

I'll be surprised if he doesn't show up at Hero with a set of Artisan wedges in his bag. These are the wedges he's played the last 15 years.
    TaylorMade M2 10.5o / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
    Nike Vr Pro :td. 5W / UST VTS 7R Silver
    Callaway Apex 3/20o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
    Callaway Apex 4/23o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
    Nike Covert Forged 4-PW / UST Recoil 95 F3
    Nike Engage 58 Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
    Maltby 54 M Series + Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
    Vr Forged 50 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
    Nike Origin B2-01
    Nike RZN Tour Black
  • Truly awesome stuff. Love the shape of those wedges. Can't wait to see the pricing as I know it cannot be cheap. Such a niche market however, I wonder what they can do differently (business wise) that Scratch Golf didn't already try?
    2019 WITB
    Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub-Zero 10.5* - Project X Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* - Aldila Rogue Max 85x
    2-PW: Callaway X-Prototype MBs - Project X 6.5 flighted
    52* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
    58* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
    Putter: Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • pearls24pearls24 Members Posts: 1,045 ✭✭
    I emailed them yesterday morning and have yet to receive a reply. Hopefully I will hear from them today.
    Taylormade 2018 M4 with Project X T1100 (65g)
    Taylormade 2016 M2 (Tour Issue) fairway wood with Project X T1100 (75g)
    Callaway Apex Utility- 20* with Aerotech Steelfiber 125X
    Miura 501 Satin (4-PW) with Steelfiber 115x
    Vokey SM7 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with TT DG Black Onyx S400
    Odyssey O Works Black #2M CS
  • MulaMula ClubWRX Posts: 3,006 ClubWRX
    I would guess $2-$300 a wedge.
    Tour Issue M3 8.5, UST Mamiya V2 US Open Edition 7F5
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* UST Mamiya THE ATTAS 7x
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2i UST Mamiya Recoil F5 125 Prototype
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4i UST Mamiya Recoil F5 125 Custom Series
    Nike MM Proto 5-9i UST Mamiya Recoil F5 125 Custom Series
    Artisan Wedges 46 50 54 59 Dynamic Gold Onyx S400
    Lambcrafted Moo Moo Special

IG: jamula
    WITB Link
  • Fort Worth ProFort Worth Pro Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭
    I texted with Mike last night. They are going to keep the release of these very slow to start with. He is currently getting new forgings and working on making sure they are right. The wedges they are doing now are from older forgings and he wants to make sure he has "his parts" before they get going full bore. Be patient as the wait is going to be worth it.
  • MillerLowLifeMillerLowLife Posts: 667 ✭✭
    The wedges are exciting and I get the draw for a custom wedge. If they have a better price point for custom wedges, they'll sell like hot cakes I'm sure.

I'm more interesting to hear about the putters and the different materials and such they've been teasing. Itching to do a custom putter build that doesn't break the bank.
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    Are you snowed in or have you been able to try them ?
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • venturagolfer87venturagolfer87 Golfing is harder with a fro. Members Posts: 1,345 ✭✭
    Really nice, I'm still rocking with my Engage wedges, best I've ever played. Already have a backup set waiting for next season still in wax.
    WITB 2018
    - F8+ 10.5*, Kuro Kage Silver DC TiNi 60
    -2017 M2 3HL, Rulz Type A 70
    -MP H5 2 iron, PX 6.0
    -F6+ Hybrid, S+ 80
    -MP-18 MMC 5-PW, PX 6.0
    -50/54 SM6 Jet Black
    -58 RTX4 Mid Raw
    -Rife Iconic Vault 1
    -Cut Blue

Are you snowed in or have you been able to try them ?

Not snowed in yet. Going to be 49* Friday and I plan to play with them. He told me to wash them down with soap and water first. He added that for shipping.