The No Ace Club - How close did you get this year?

Comments

• TomBomb51TomBomb51 Members Posts: 450 ✭✭✭✭

@GolfChannel said:
    Anyone else in my boat that all your close calls seem to happen on the long Par 3’s and not the short wedge in variety? I have lipped out twice this year from 4-iron distance (210 yards).

Same.
    I am a member at a shorter course...all par 3s are <120 yards so I have sand and gap wedges and I usually hit them pretty high. Unless I dunk one, I will never get one there. I am also a member at another course where they are all >170 yards and I am willing to bet I will get one there before anywhere.
    Also, I have been playing 20+ years and I have always been pretty good...or at least I think so. I am currently a 3.2 GHIN and play with a lot of golfers ranging from scratch to 20 handicaps and most have at least 1 hole in one. I am by far the lowest handicap without a hole in one.

Ping G410 Plus 9* - Diamana DF 60s
    Taylormade M5 14* - Diamana DF 70s
    Taylormade M2 18* - Diamana DF 70s
    Mizuno 919 Tour 4-PW - S300 AMT Tour White
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50/54/58 - KBS 610
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5
    Titleist ProV 1x
  • HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Occasionally when I dunk the tee shot in the water on a par 3 I get frustrated enough to hit a second (stroke 3) off the tee. Last week I had such a shot end up an inch behind the hole. I need to stop hitting another from the tee until I get that first hole in one.

• HackinNutHackinNut On some golf course somewhere ....Members Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

This was one of my shots this year. So close to #7 in my career.

Driver: Titleist TS2 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* & TS2 19* HZRDUS Smoke
    Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4-iron & AP3 5-PW Pxi 5.5 MCC Align
    Wedges: Vokeys SM6 48*, 52*, 56*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport
    Ball: ProV1

And here is the other one. This one landed & hopped into the flag, dropping it straight down. No idea how it didn't go in.

• FootWedge16FootWedge16 Members Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

I've holed out from 175ish, 150ish, and 120ish, plus numerous times in the 50-100 yard range.

Hole in ones though? Please. I'm destined to never have one.

@FootWedge16 said:
    I've holed out from 175ish, 150ish, and 120ish, plus numerous times in the 50-100 yard range.

Hole in ones though? Please. I'm destined to never have one.

It will come.
    What did Lee Trevino say .... "the more I play, the luckier I get."

• jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Pitched it about an inch or so behind the cup. Left myself a slippery dowhill right to left 6 foot putt for birdie and missed. Didn't matter as I won the tourney.

• sirukumasirukuma Members Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭

I jarred it from 200+. Only I was playing alone and no-one else around to see it.....too bad for me!. Fortunately, I already have a legit one that happened in a 2 man team event several years ago.

• Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Im glad to say as of two weeks ago I no longer hold membership in this club😬

PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• Ewood808Ewood808 Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

One revolution short, PW from 142.

• SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Lipped out this past Wednesday at men's night with a gap wedge from 121. Thought I was guaranteed closest to the pin at about 18 inches. Then the older gentleman I was paired with proceeded to stick his 8 iron to about 6 inches. Golf is a funny game.

• Kevlar10Kevlar10 Members Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    edited Jun 25, 2019 1:36am #283

7 iron at 165. It spun back past the hole to about 8 feet. But I missed the birdie put.

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 25, 2019 1:44am #284

Yeah, it isn’t a mindset or confidence thing. Today I stepped onto a Par 3 brimming with confidence, borderline swagger, that today was the day. Even my warm up swings felt magical. I then promptly shanked it into the water sideways on a hole where water isn’t actually in play unless you shank it. Good times...

Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • ani5009ani5009 High Bridge, NJMembers Posts: 314 ✭✭✭✭

Played in a charity scramble yesterday at my home course in 8somes and the topic of HIOs came up while we were waiting to tee off on #4. Out of the 8 guys, only me and one other guy have been shut out so far in our quests for HIOs. 6th hole was playing 117 with the flag all the way in the back of the green, just left of a slope and just short of another that runs off the back of the green. I hit my 54* on exactly the line I was looking at, 10 feet right of the flag. It took one hop forward and spun back, caught the slope and trickled down to the cup. Everyone started yelling "GET IN" etc., and I really thought it would. Ended up stopping about 3" short for a kick-in 2. The other guy who never had a HIO played after me and hit a PW that never left the flag stick the entire way, bounced about 8" left of the flag pin high and took off over the green and down into the weeds. Some days I wonder if I'll ever get one...

TM M2 2017 9.5*
    TM M2 3HL 16.5*
    TM P790 3 iron
    Mizuno MP-59 4-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:
    Im glad to say as of two weeks ago I no longer hold membership in this club😬

You and I both. Congrats!!

• ctsgolfctsgolf Members Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

I have a couple inside 6ft this year, but closest was a thinned 52° to about 1.5'.

Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Callaway MD Forged  Recoil 125 F4
    Miura  KM-006  

• stormbringerstormbringer Stormbringer UtahMembers Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

146 yesterday 9 iron sloped green. Flew it 18" past and slightly right. Sucked it back to 6" just left. Closest I have been in a couple years.

Driver  G410 Plus 9 Project X Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    3 Wood  Rapture 13.5 Ping TFC 949 Stiff
    5 Wood Ping G410 SFT 18 Fujikura Atmos Tour Black 7S
    Hybrid  Karsten 4 Hybrid Ping KS 401 Stiff
    Irons  I200 Blue Dot 4-U Wedge Ping AWT 2.0 R+
    Wedges  Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 SS 56/12 & 60/14 WS Ping AWT Wedge
    Bobby Grace A** Kicker Putter 37" SS Plus XL Counter Balanced
    Ball  Titleist Tour Soft
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WAMembers Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Landed just short of the green on a downslope and rolled up to that point. 120yd pw. Still got beat out of a KP. 2 weeks ago

Titleist 910d3 8.5
    Titleist 917f2 15
    Titleist 816h2 19
    Adam's pro mini 23
    Bridgestone J36 pc 5-pw
    Cleveland Rtx3 50,54,58
    Bridgestone Td-01 
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • alpinetoalpineto Members Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Lucky enough to get an invite to play Wygakil cc and on the 7th hole par3 I hit a poor shot right of the green and hit a provisional because I thought my first was going to be lost anyhow the hole was playing 165yds and I holed out with my provisional , ball landed a yard short of the flag
    and hit the flag and did a dance and spun in the hole , I ended up finding my tee ball and managed to make a bogey , kinda sucks as I've never had a hole in one , I've come real close so the quest continues .

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ewood808 said:

One revolution short, PW from 142.

Don't remember if I already posted on this thread but I can use the picture above. Gap wedge from 109 yds into the sun. As soon as I hit the ball I thought it had a chance to go in. It just felt perfect. I could't see the ball at all due to the sun in my eyes. So, I had that excitement and anticipation of not knowing if it went in the hole until I got to the green. Almost!

• SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Members Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lipped out another one. Granted it was a night golf tournament on a par 3 course but it was still demoralizing. 2nd time hitting the lip this year, had 3 lip outs last year. It is never going to happen.

Cobra King F8 Driver  Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (15.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid (19 degree setting)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Red X3 (34")
  • HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was playing with a guy the other day and we got on the subject. He mentioned he had twice holed it out from a par 3 tee box for a score of 3 both times. Still has not had a hole in one. That would be a hard pill for me to swallow.

• hattrick23hattrick23 hattrick23 Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

I am also glad to say as of yesterday I am no longer a member of this club. After 40 years of playing on and off, used to be a 1 cap and now a 10 handicap, holed out from 120 with wedge. Glad to say I never thought it would happen, so you golfers that don't have one yet, keep trying and it will happen!

• lilimprovementslilimprovements Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

Recently got fitted for some Mizuno Hot Metal Pro’s, and this was my first par 3 attempt with them! First ever time fitted for clubs and can’t believe I didn’t do it sooner

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 460 S 10 Degree – Tour AD MT-6(S)
    Putter: TaylorMade OS CB 35″
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pros 4-GW – Dynamic Gold 105
    Wedges: Mizuno S18 54 and 60 Degree Chrome – Dynamic Gold 105

• CanaryKidCanaryKid Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

Not even close this year. :(

Slinfold Golf and Country Club (UK). Handicap 24.3
  • Neverfadeaway86Neverfadeaway86 Members Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭

Tonight I came within about a foot

Driver: Ping G30 9 degree
    3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy 15 degree
    5 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy 18 degree
    3 Hybrid Ping I20 20 degree
    5-Gap Wedge: Ping G30 
    Sand Wedge: Ping Glide 56 degree 
    ]Lob Wedge: Ping Glide 60 degree
    Putter: Lynx Black Cat BC3 center shaft 
  • MooMoo Members Posts: 384 ✭✭✭✭

Driver TS2 (first driver in 9 years that could out the trusty 910 D2)
    Ping i3+ Blades (backup set Mizuno MP 54 P-4 which are now in cold storage until the end of time)
    Rogue 3 wood with Evenflow Blue (so easy to hit high and long...Evenflow rules!)
    Rogue 5 wood with Evenflow Blue
    Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0
  • FrankRizzoFrankRizzo Members Posts: 226 ✭✭

Story of my life, a day too late.

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hit the flagstick today on a Par 3 from 168. The ball was ejected dead right into the pond as a reward.

Life is awesome.

Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • Presley85Presley85 Dallas, Tx Members Posts: 4

Still part of the no ace club after 20+ years of playing. However I’ve had two very close aces over the last 3-4 rounds. One was on the 7th at my local course that usually plays between 145-160. This particular day it was closer to 145 with the pin front left. I was between an easy 7i or 8i; chose the 8i which wound up being correct choice. The ball landed pin high and stopped 4’ from the hole. I got up to the green and found my ball mark 1’ left of dead center. If it had been that 1’ right may have been a slam dunk! The other close call was another local course, it’s always a short hole as well and I went with a 9i, I struck it good and it was at the hole the entire way. Got up there and ball probably landed 2’ short and had to have rolled right past or very near the cup. Made the 3’ putt for birdie though!

• Driver: Cobra F6 adjusted to 9*, Fuji Speeder Evo S-Flex 67g
    • 3W: Callaway XR Pro 14* Project X Stiff 6.0
    • 3H: 19* Mizuno Jpx Fli-Hi orocchi tour stiff shaft.
    • Irons: 4-P Titliest 710 MB
    • Wedges: 50/8 Vokey Sm7 F Jet Black, 54/14 Vokey F SM6, Nike SV Tour Black 56/14
    • Putter: Ping Anser 4 Steel Putter (May never part with, love this thing...)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file