Everyone is a big hitter on the forum

Comments

• aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,625 ✭✭
    Kevinx wrote:

Why is it no matter the topic most of the posters claim they hit 300 plus off the tee. I'm not saying they don't but here in the metro area of NY where their is way too many golfers I have only seen a hand full hit it 300 yards. No matter where I have played . How come on the forum everyone claims they play like a pro. I don't believe most of them

Not me. I am a short hitter. Clubhead speed is like 90-100mph. Maximum carry is like 240 now. Thinking of moving to softer shafts.

Delusion in your golf ability makes you play worse and score higher. Haha.
  • hlcahlca Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    In the past year, I've played with two guys who probably average 300+ yards. One guy is a professional baseball pitcher who throws 98 mph fastballs. His club made a very different whoosh sound than everyone else's. The other guy was also a long hitter. He claimed his club head speed was 150 mph, but his distance did not seem to reflect that claim. But still likely over 300.
    Callaway X2 Hot driver 10.5* w/ Proforce V2 stiff shaft
    TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 3W 15* w/ stock shaft
    TaylorMade Jetspeed 3H 19* w/ stock shaft
    Callaway X2 Hot 5-AW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 stiff shaft
    Callaway MD4 S-Grind 54* 58* w/ stock shaft
    Nike Method MOD 60 putter
  • callawayjaycallawayjay Goofiest Left Handed Swing Ever Members Posts: 1,617 ✭✭
    edited Dec 31, 2017 #184
    I’m 235 on a good day. Can mash an 8 150 if I step on it. Play regularly with a guy who is the same cap as me but outdrives me by 40. So even he is 25 short of the magic 300. Measure your drives with your golf app or your gps watch. You’ll be very disappointed. I promise.

The course isn’t trackman.
  • SurfDufferSurfDuffer Members Posts: 3,022 ✭✭
    Kevinx wrote:

Why is it no matter the topic most of the posters claim they hit 300 plus off the tee. I'm not saying they don't but here in the metro area of NY where their is way too many golfers I have only seen a hand full hit it 300 yards. No matter where I have played . How come on the forum everyone claims they play like a pro. I don't believe most of them

Up until a couple of years ago I hit about 50% of my drives 300+. I also used to miss a lot more fairways when I was younger and going for it all the time. These days I'm good for one or two a round that will sneak out to that distance but most are in the 285-290 range now. Swing video from this past June below. First swing with a driver I'd never hit before belonging to the 9th ranked player on the Remax World Long Drive Rankings. Driver was extremely different from what I play. Total club weight was a bit too heavy for me but its owner is 6'5 and 305 to my 6'1 and 210. Swinging not to hit a foul ball. Not going after it but this one was over 300. He still out drove me by another 40 yards with his shot. I'd love to get the maker of this driver to dial something similar for me but with a more suitable club weight. Here are some specs on the driver and its owner:

Driver: Callaway XR

Loft: 6.5o

Shaft: Paderson Kinetixx

Flex: ****

Longest Distance (Yard/Inches): 455 (2016 Rockwell Blast)

Me.....just an old guy.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
    Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
    Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
    Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
    SeeMore FPG Putter
  • EKELLYEKELLY Members Posts: 2,593 ✭✭
    Try hitting it 275 all day (which I do), and playing with a guy that hits it 350+ all day? That'll make you wish you could actually hit it 300+, just to get within 50ish.....For the record, he's been a ReMax finalist several times.......Oh, to be 6'6" and 270 pounds......LOL
  • kujositkujosit Members Posts: 108 ✭✭
    EKELLY wrote:

Try hitting it 275 all day (which I do), and playing with a guy that hits it 350+ all day? That'll make you wish you could actually hit it 300+, just to get within 50ish.....For the record, he's been a ReMax finalist several times.......Oh, to be 6'6" and 270 pounds......LOL

How was his putting and short game?
  • EKELLYEKELLY Members Posts: 2,593 ✭✭
    kujosit wrote:

EKELLY wrote:

How was his putting and short game?
    He plays really well, about a 5 or 6. YES, he'll hit 8 or 9 iron into most par-5's for easy birdies all the time, but the misses are off the grid.....
  • scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UKMembers Posts: 1,508 ✭✭
    I'm anything but a long hitter....240 carry on my drives is best I think. 6 hybrid carries 150 yards....but I'm straight, anyway farther put like God than hit it miles!
  • driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Members Posts: 1,211 ✭✭
    There is a reason that I dont talk or really post about shaft flexes or distances very often. I had a couple of people talk trash about what i was saying in a thread so I just stopped talking distances or shaft flexes or anything similar.

I do agree about the fact that WRX attracts many good players and most of the time good players are pretty long. I have accidently played with two WRX members and both were long, they hit good drives over or around 300, and over 115 SS with a driver. Iron lofts are so different so saying they hit a 7 iron 190 is worthless.
    Driver - Ping 400 MAX on Tour 65 
    Fairway - Cobra F9 on UST Axivcore Black
    Others - Srixon 785 5 Wood on UST Axivcore Black or TM UDI 2 iron on Nippon 130 or Ping G400 17* 
    Irons - (4-A) Taylormade 790's on KBS Tour
    Wedges - Cleveland Rotex 3.0 55*, Rotex 4.0 60* on KBS tour
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Taylormade Spider
    Ball - TM TP5x or Srixon Z Star XV
  • RBImGuyRBImGuy Banned Posts: 2,248

There is a reason that I dont talk or really post about shaft flexes or distances very often. I had a couple of people talk trash about what i was saying in a thread so I just stopped talking distances or shaft flexes or anything similar.

I do agree about the fact that WRX attracts many good players and most of the time good players are pretty long. I have accidently played with two WRX members and both were long, they hit good drives over or around 300, and over 115 SS with a driver. Iron lofts are so different so saying they hit a 7 iron 190 is worthless.

Its an issue here, its why I dont post much due to the religion that tend to affect blindness on golfers.

won a long driving on fairway and the look of faces in the clubhouse when someone 30 years older did that was fun
    Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
    300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
    Golf God
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,071 ClubWRX
    RBImGuy wrote:

Its an issue here, its why I dont post much due to the religion that tend to affect blindness on golfers.

won a long driving on fairway and the look of faces in the clubhouse when someone 30 years older did that was fun

Or because of your pretending to be a qualified golf instructor.
  • driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Members Posts: 1,211 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

RBImGuy wrote:

Or because of your pretending to be a qualified golf instructor.

Hawkeye....pretty sure that wasn’t directed at me, but wanted to make sure.
    Driver - Ping 400 MAX on Tour 65 
    Fairway - Cobra F9 on UST Axivcore Black
    Others - Srixon 785 5 Wood on UST Axivcore Black or TM UDI 2 iron on Nippon 130 or Ping G400 17* 
    Irons - (4-A) Taylormade 790's on KBS Tour
    Wedges - Cleveland Rotex 3.0 55*, Rotex 4.0 60* on KBS tour
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Taylormade Spider
    Ball - TM TP5x or Srixon Z Star XV
  • boatrightgolf7boatrightgolf7 Members Posts: 191 ✭✭
    Kevinx wrote:

I have seen this as well especially back in the Sand Trap forum days which was ****!! Anyway I relate to swing speed discussions on forums and sometimes at golf shops in real life. I see guys stating they attain 127 club head speed all the time but ballooned the ball to high,or guys stating me 123 with a 3 wood and never could maintain it with a driver etc..
  • green.teagreen.tea Members Posts: 401 ✭✭
    An abundance of long hitters on a golf-centric site shouldn’t surprise anyone.

The only claims I scoff at on here are the ones where someone says something ridiculous like they carry their 3 Hybrid further than most PGA Tour guys drive the ball.
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]?[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]?[/font]
    [font="trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif"]T-MB 3-4[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif]716 CB 5-9[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]SM6 46/50/54/58[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Newport[/font]
  • pingbling23pingbling23 Members Posts: 222 ✭✭
    I'm 6'1 and 265lbs. When I'm on with my driver I can get it out there, verified with gps. My dad was on another level. Before he passed at the young age of 56 he could easily fly it past me. He played in a tourney in Lake Tahoe and won the long drive with a 345 yard poke (he was late 40's at the time). What amazed me was for such a long hitter he had amazing touch. If he didn't fire a 67 or less at our home course he was mad. I sure do miss the old man.
    Ping G 10.5* Tour 65 S
    Ping G30 3 & 5 Fwy
    Ping G25 3-W CFS X
    Ping Gorge 52*, 56*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/Ping Sigma G Anser
  • RBImGuyRBImGuy Banned Posts: 2,248
    90-95% of golfers cant hit beyond 250 yards.

80% has a handicap between 18-36.

Usually amateurs I seen is in the range of 200 yards and very few are going longer than that and they are a low handicapper when that happens.

The state of current golf instruction isnt better than that.
    Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
    300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
    Golf God
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,895 ✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2018 #198
    This condition is not unique to this site. I've been on forums for softball, fishing, engineering, sales, web design, and every one has their version of the same thing. Get a bunch of guys in any room and there's some version of the 300ft drive.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5*~ F6 Baffler 16.5* ~ Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • CiceroCicero Members Posts: 1,377 ✭✭
    RBImGuy wrote:

Usually amateurs I seen is in the range of 200 yards and very few are going longer than that and they are a low handicapper when that happens.

Only 5-10% can hit past 250? That seems low. Maybe it isn’t.
    edited Feb 8, 2018 #200
    Cicero wrote:
    RBImGuy wrote:

Agreed. The number that can consistently hit a usable 300 yard drive is very low, but many of the of people that I play with can put something usable out 250. That takes swing speed of around 95mph with favorable conditions, which isn't asking a lot for a driver. 300yds takes about 120mph, which is a 25% increase and pretty sporty for most people.
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5*~ F6 Baffler 16.5* ~ Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Members Posts: 878 ✭✭
    Who am I to say how far everyone hits it but to consistently see posters referencing 280+ yard drives is amazing. Gratz to all of you who can really achieve that and if you are stretching the truth and it makes you feel better about yourself go for it.
  • DixieDDixieD Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    I don't find the number of posters claiming big drives on here far fetched, if you are here you are pretty mad for golf. However in the real world I rarely see anyone getting it by 250. I hit around 270 and EVERYONE thinks they are going 300 and their drives are 250 when in reality they are poking it out to 220 ish.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,575 ✭✭
    Mych wrote:

Cicero wrote:
    RBImGuy wrote:

Agreed. The number that can consistently hit a usable 300 yard drive is very low, but many of the of people that I play with can put something usable out 250. That takes swing speed of around 95mph with favorable conditions, which isn't asking a lot for a driver. 300yds takes about 120mph, which is a 25% increase and pretty sporty for most people.

I would guess that 10% consistently hitting it over 250 total yards IS actually pretty close to accurate. But these are all guesses. I think average is somewhere in the 200-215 range for male golfers, so you're going to have outliers on both sides but it would be difficult just in terms of the math to have a lot of guys hitting it 250+ for that average to be what it is. I mean if like, 30% of guys were doing it, you'd have to have a lot of guys hitting it 150 too

You don't need to swing 120mph to hit it 300 total distance, in fact you don't really need to be close to that. 110-112 with optimal launch conditions on a firmish course you can do it. In fact you can carry it 300 yards with a SS of less than 120. Though you'd need to be close to 115 i believe and have a near perfect strike.

I have done it on trackman with a 114mph SS , though maybe it was a little off
    Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20H w/Diamana D+ 90
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    I suppose I would be considered a big hitter, though my criteria are a bit different. I am 6'5", 225 pounds, and I hit a golf ball.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
    edited Feb 10, 2018 #205
    MtlJeff wrote:
    Mych wrote:

Cicero wrote:
    RBImGuy wrote:

I would guess that 10% consistently hitting it over 250 total yards IS actually pretty close to accurate. But these are all guesses. I think average is somewhere in the 200-215 range for male golfers, so you're going to have outliers on both sides but it would be difficult just in terms of the math to have a lot of guys hitting it 250+ for that average to be what it is. I mean if like, 30% of guys were doing it, you'd have to have a lot of guys hitting it 150 too

You don't need to swing 120mph to hit it 300 total distance, in fact you don't really need to be close to that. 110-112 with optimal launch conditions on a firmish course you can do it. In fact you can carry it 300 yards with a SS of less than 120. Though you'd need to be close to 115 i believe and have a near perfect strike.

I have done it on trackman with a 114mph SS , though maybe it was a little off

I think I was basing my comment on people who have a certain age/body profile. The 75 year old, limited mobility short knockers weren't part of my thought, so my personal anecdotes are obviously not useful from a real statistical standpoint.

I also agree that 120 isn't required for 300. I don't think I can get close to 120 any more (especially with my 44.5" driver), and I can still sneak a ball past 300 fairly often. There are a ton of factors that affect distance, so I pulled that 120 figure off a chart that I assumed to be a more controlled data collection.
  • DickieThonDickieThon Members Posts: 1,100 ✭✭
    I don’t carry it 300, more like 275ish and it rolls out to maybe 285-290 most of the time. I’ve played plenty of golf with guys who outhit me by 30-40 yards and shoot 90. These days 300 yards isn’t that big a deal.
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,112 ✭✭
    I don't think the rarified crowd here is at all in touch with the average player.

The average player is 55 years old, and about 80pct male (so he has 20pct lady parts). The average player is thrilled to get it out past 200.

The younger players without the benefit of 30 years experience, if you added in their mishits, would average under 200 as well. If you only take their clean strikes, the average technique doesn't often leverage their superior fitness, and so they're still nowhere near big marks.

So I stand by this - 250 is Herculean unless you are a low cap or work in the golf industry.
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R - CAMO!
    Cobra F9 15* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Members Posts: 878 ✭✭
    There is a running joke on these forums about how far Golfwrxers claim to hit the ball. It is proven day after day, post after post how this occurs with uncanny regularity. That being said it doesn’t bother me that people do it, just makes me smile.
    edited Feb 10, 2018 #209
    I don't think the rarified crowd here is at all in touch with the average player.

The average player is 55 years old, and about 80pct male (so he has 20pct lady parts). The average player is thrilled to get it out past 200.

The younger players without the benefit of 30 years experience, if you added in their mishits, would average under 200 as well. If you only take their clean strikes, the average technique doesn't often leverage their superior fitness, and so they're still nowhere near big marks.

So I stand by this - 250 is Herculean unless you are a low cap or work in the golf industry.

So is the question being discussed hitting it 300 average or 300 once a round or a couple times during a simulator session? There's a huge difference between an occasional 300 and a 300 average.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,728 ClubWRX

There is a running joke on these forums about how far Golfwrxers claim to hit the ball. It is proven day after day, post after post how this occurs with uncanny regularity. That being said it doesn’t bother me that people do it, just makes me smile.

It's actually just the opposite. For every post where someone claims to be long, there are 10 of them making the same joke about how everyone on WRX claims to hit it 320. It's almost like a rite of passage onto the board.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,728 ClubWRX

Uh oh. 55 this summer.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62