We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Discussion Thread: GolfWRX Radio (leave comments about all podcasts here)

GolfWRX ·  
GolfWRXGolfWRX Team GolfWRX 8658WRX Points: 393Marshals Posts: 8,658
GolfWRX Members,

As you may already know, we've launched our 19th Hole podcast hosted by Michael Williams (You can listen here: https://soundcloud.com/golfwrx). We've had a lot of great guests including Bob Vokey, Mike Taylor, Rick Smith and more. We're extremely excited about the new venture, and the opportunity to bring you golf insight on a new audio platform.

Equipment expert Brian Knudson and myself, GolfWRX editor-in-chief Andrew Tursky, are starting up our own podcast. You may have seen us on a weekly, video-based Q&A segment that we call "Yo, GolfWRX?!" Click this link to see what I'm talking about: http://www.golfwrx.com/481178/whats-your-official-prediction-for-tiger-woods-at-the-hero-total-score-in-relation-to-par/ We'll be bringing this style of content into a longer-form podcast for your listening pleasure.

What we're asking from you is segment ideas, general ideas, and specific questions/topics you'd like to see answered. Don't hold back! Any feedback or contribution to the discussion is welcome. We simply want to provide our listeners with the most value and entertainment as possible.

Thanks so much for the support and you're passion for GolfWRX and the game of golf!
Posted:

Comments

• cliffhangercliffhanger spruce grove alberta 1761WRX Points: 208ClubWRX Posts: 1,761
    who doesn't want to ask... "Blades vs Cavity backs" and is forgiveness in irons overhyped?
    Posted:

Driver: TM M6 (10.5 deg) with Project X Smoke 60X playing at 45 inches
    3Wood: TM M6 (14 deg) with Project X Smoke 70X playing at 43 inches
    2 iron: TM 790 UDI bent to 19 degrees with Project X HZRDUS 85 X (6.5) at 39.5 inches
    4-GW: TM P760 with KBS Tour X (all bent 2 deg flat) standard length
    Wedges: TM Hi-Toe 56/10 and 60/10 (all bent 2 deg flat) with 2.0 hi-rev shafts both standard lengths
    TM Mullen 2 TP putter @ 34 inches 
    TM TP 5 ball 

All grips 360 tour velvet burgundy with 1 extra wrap

Sun mountain 4.5 stand bag

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Ed SettleEd Settle #InsideTMAG  6054WRX Points: 169ClubWRX Posts: 6,054
    Should we be In favor of turning back the ball or vehemently against it?
    Posted:
    Twitter:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design VR-6X
    Fairway 3w: Callaway Rogue 3/15* GD GP-6X 
    Fairway 5w: Callaway Rogue 5/18* GD GP-6X
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4/23* Catalyst 70S
    Irons: Callaway '19 Apex Pro Dot 5-PW Elevate Tour 
    Wedges: Callaway MD 4 52/MD 2 56/Custom 60 WB Grind Modus 115 Wedge 
    Putter: Toulon Design Garage Palm Beach RG
    Ball: Callaway CSX Triple Track
    Bag: Vessel Black 14 way carry

My WITB
  • PhreddyPhreddy  659WRX Points: 187Members Posts: 659
    Try giving Rich Tock a call. He was the head pro at Ozaukee Country Club and then moved over to Erin Hills. He has some great stories about the hoops they had to jump through getting the course up to snuff for the USGA and the US Open.
    Posted:
    If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.
  • bogeykbogeyk  1001WRX Points: 114Members Posts: 1,001
    Having a wrap up of equipment giveaways and trips with the participants and fitters would be pretty interesting. Also, it would be fun to follow a participant and an instructor in some sort of lesson series with a podcast and photo or video gallery.
    Posted:
  • Doc420Doc420  2357WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 2,357
    Do an episode with Patrick Boyd or Don White. # 2 an episode with Bruce Rearick aka bargolf
    Posted:
  • MedicMedic  9422WRX Points: 172Members Posts: 9,422
    Have a member of the month segment. Where a member is really given the opportunity to open up and tell the rest of the GolfWrx community who they are.

I have met several members from this place and they are all really amazing people. With incredible and interesting backstories.

From veterans/heroes to professionals who have the Midas touch - the members are what/who makes this place and it might be interesting to feature some of them.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Tad Moore TM-1 35"
    Callaway Chrome Soft

Advertisement
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses  10697WRX Points: 567Members Posts: 10,697
    Was really hoping you guys would do something like this. There isn’t an equipment-focused golf podcast that can cover all the brands.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 14.5* (DI-7X)
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S)
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • MedicMedic  9422WRX Points: 172Members Posts: 9,422
    Holy Moses wrote:

Was really hoping you guys would do something like this. There isn't an equipment-focused golf podcast that can cover all the brands.

That's the bread and butter for Shiels, Finch, Crossfield et al.

They all do incredible equipment reviews but at some point it becomes monotonous when they say the same things about various offerings. I don't recall even one review where they outright said "Well this is garbage and I can't imagine paying for it."

Also, because they are all pros it's hard for a regular player to truly relate their game.

Not that I don't enjoy watching their reviews, believe me. But I would imagine the reviews here might be a little more end-user friendly.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Tad Moore TM-1 35"
    Callaway Chrome Soft
    Medic wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Was really hoping you guys would do something like this. There isn't an equipment-focused golf podcast that can cover all the brands.

That's the bread and butter for Shiels, Finch, Crossfield et al.

They all do incredible equipment reviews but at some point it becomes monotonous when they say the same things about various offerings. I don't recall even one review where they outright said "Well this is garbage and I can't imagine paying for it."

Also, because they are all pros it's hard for a regular player to truly relate their game.

Not that I don't enjoy watching their reviews, believe me. But I would imagine the reviews here might be a little more end-user friendly.

Crossfield, Shiels, and Finch do videos, but it looks like atursky and knudson are going to do sound only podcasts.

Hard to really say that big-named club makers make trash these days. Almost all new clubs are at least decent or they wouldn't be released. With that said, the official reviews on this site are very, very rarely critical. The example I often look to is the big driver test that was done at Miles of Golf a few years ago. We never really saw all the data, especially the data that showed the PXG underperform.

I would look forward to this podcast expanding beyond just clubs. Clubs are this site's bread and better, but there's clothing, shoes, balls, bags, training devices, and golf tech that would be neat to hear being discussed on a podcast.
    Posted:
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • onafridayonafriday  1431WRX Points: 119Members Posts: 1,431
    It’d be cool to see a members corner featuring 3-5 minutes, via Skype, with regular contributing members to the forums.
    Posted:
    G410 LST 9* Diamana W 60X 
    Epic Flash SZ 14* Tensei CK Pro Blue 60TX
    SLDR 19* Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X
    P790 ‘19 (4-P) Modus3 120X
    SM7 (raw) 48F, 54S, 58D Modus3 120X
    Bettinardi BB0 DASS Proto RJBB716

• johnny_golfballjohnny_golfball  471WRX Points: 78Members Posts: 471
    I'm a huge fan of the game (like everyone else), but I'm also a working man trying to support my family. I'm trying to get my kids interested in golf so it gives us another outlet to hang out and spend some quality time together. With that said, with all this new technology and equipment on the market, will golf be affordable to your "average joe" in 5-10 years? I understand economics and the business side of everything, but are you worried that the price points for new equipment, even slightly used, will turn people away from the sport?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • 2012BFT2012BFT  581WRX Points: 98Members Posts: 581
    Club and shaft tech, fitting insight, interviews with OEM R&D/product people...

I really like hearing about shaft tech and how different shafts achieve different characteristics... and how they might benefit a certain swing type/player.. how the new materials are becoming more and more advanced.. etc

This is an awesome idea. I love listening to these types of podcasts. Look ng forward to what you guys brew up!
    Posted:
    PING G410 LST w/ Tenesi Orange 60x 
    PING G410 LST 3w w/ Tenesi Orange 70x   
    Titleist TMB 3i DG AMT
    Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
    Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Titleist Pro-V1x
  • Jersey golferJersey golfer  468WRX Points: 83Members Posts: 468
    I would love to have equipment valuations/comparisons from golfers in the 12 to 16 handicap range.
    Posted:
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE  2011WRX Points: 116Members Posts: 2,011
    I'd love to just hear some behind the scenes/ropes stories from Tour. Funny anecdotes or things that aren't general knowledge. I also love tons of humor in my podcasts.

Would be interested in Top 5/10 lists as well. Clubs, courses in specific regions, etc etc.
    Posted:
  • aturskyatursky  699WRX Points: 30Members Posts: 699
    Thanks so much for all of the questions and ideas. Here's a link where you can find our first episode: http://www.golfwrx.com/481684/can-you-build-a-set-of-clubs-for-less-than-750/

As always, please feel free to post any feedback you have (positive or negative) and we look forward to recording more!
    Posted:
    atursky wrote:

Thanks so much for all of the questions and ideas. Here's a link where you can find our first episode: http://www.golfwrx.com/481684/can-you-build-a-set-of-clubs-for-less-than-750/

As always, please feel free to post any feedback you have (positive or negative) and we look forward to recording more!

Great first topic. Will it be on iTunes?
    Posted:
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna

Advertisement
    Yes, it's just that iTunes takes an hour or two more to process than SoundCloud. I'll put the link into the story when it's up.
    Posted:
    Posted:
    So it’s under the other WRX podcast with Michael Williams
    Posted:
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
    Yea that's where we're hosting all of our podcast content at the moment.
    Posted:
  • rymail00rymail00  6705WRX Points: 157Members Posts: 6,705
    Doc420 wrote:

Do an episode with Patrick Boyd or Don White. # 2 an episode with Bruce Rearick aka bargolf

+1000 to this

Would love to hear a Patrick Boyd and/or Don White. Listening to what Don has to say about clubs now, and who he's made clubs for and what they wanted out of them and how he took their words and and transformed that into grinds and shapes that worked best would be a cool listen.
    Posted:
    rymail00 2018 WITB http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/

TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
    Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
    Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
    Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
    Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
    Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer)
    Ping Scottsdale TR B60
    TP Mills Heritage 349g
    Byron Morgan 006 355g
    Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper
    C&L CL1 368g
    Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Advertisement
  • Sean2Sean2  30969WRX Points: 200Members Posts: 30,969
    --Putting together an affordable golf bag, say for example a complete set of 14 clubs for $700. One doesn't need the latest and greatest to have a very good set. :-)

--Is "forgiveness" overrated?

--Interview Greg (our photographer). I bet he would have some very interesting stories.
    Posted:
    Great first podcast. A few thoughts:

- The podcast app needs some better cover art. It looks like it's made in MS Paint.

- I kinda like an opening song or some sort of quick musical intro.

- Knudson and atursky have some great golf talk and banter. Solid golf talk commentary.

- Knudson mentioned the thread about what to do about the golf ball going so far. He brought up Merion being destroyed by the modern player. Merion might not have been the best example. Rose won at Merion at +1 (6,996 yards) with the cut at +8 the while Koepka won at Erin Hills (7,741 yards) with -16 and the cut was +1. Webb Simpson won with a +1 the Olympic Club (7,170) and the cut was +8 . Graeme McDowell won at Pebble Beach (7,040 yards) with even par and the cut was +7. Spieth won at Chambers Bay (7,500 yards) with -5 and the cut was +5. At least as far as the US Open goes, the shorter the course, the harder the track. The pros are hitting the ball further than ever and courses are having to keep up, but Merion wasn't the best example.

- Continue to reference the forums. I enjoy hearing you guys talk about the posters and the points they make.
    Posted:
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • cliffhangercliffhanger spruce grove alberta 1761WRX Points: 208ClubWRX Posts: 1,761
    A segment to discuss latest trends in club design... "does it help or is it hype"
    Posted:

Driver: TM M6 (10.5 deg) with Project X Smoke 60X playing at 45 inches
    3Wood: TM M6 (14 deg) with Project X Smoke 70X playing at 43 inches
    2 iron: TM 790 UDI bent to 19 degrees with Project X HZRDUS 85 X (6.5) at 39.5 inches
    4-GW: TM P760 with KBS Tour X (all bent 2 deg flat) standard length
    Wedges: TM Hi-Toe 56/10 and 60/10 (all bent 2 deg flat) with 2.0 hi-rev shafts both standard lengths
    TM Mullen 2 TP putter @ 34 inches 
    TM TP 5 ball 

All grips 360 tour velvet burgundy with 1 extra wrap

Sun mountain 4.5 stand bag

• knudson81knudson81 My WITB is $100 but my swing is $.50  3201WRX Points: 194Marshals, Media Staffer Posts: 3,201
    Holy Moses wrote:

Great first podcast. A few thoughts:

- The podcast app needs some better cover art. It looks like it's made in MS Paint.

- I kinda like an opening song or some sort of quick musical intro.

- Knudson and atursky have some great golf talk and banter. Solid golf talk commentary.

- Knudson mentioned the thread about what to do about the golf ball going so far. He brought up Merion being destroyed by the modern player. Merion might not have been the best example. Rose won at Merion at +1 (6,996 yards) with the cut at +8 the while Koepka won at Erin Hills (7,741 yards) with -16 and the cut was +1. Webb Simpson won with a +1 the Olympic Club (7,170) and the cut was +8 . Graeme McDowell won at Pebble Beach (7,040 yards) with even par and the cut was +7. Spieth won at Chambers Bay (7,500 yards) with -5 and the cut was +5. At least as far as the US Open goes, the shorter the course, the harder the track. The pros are hitting the ball further than ever and courses are having to keep up, but Merion wasn't the best example.

- Continue to reference the forums. I enjoy hearing you guys talk about the posters and the points they make.

We appreciate the info and we are for sure going to be evolving and getting better as we go. Keep the constructive comments coming, we for sure want to bring you content that you want to listen to!
    Posted:
    Make sure to follow Two Guys Talking Golf!

Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

tg2_badgeV2_125.jpg
  • Ed SettleEd Settle #InsideTMAG  6054WRX Points: 169ClubWRX Posts: 6,054
    If you had to pick one OEM for your bag, would it be based on Driver performance or Iron?
    Posted:
    Twitter:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design VR-6X
    Fairway 3w: Callaway Rogue 3/15* GD GP-6X 
    Fairway 5w: Callaway Rogue 5/18* GD GP-6X
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4/23* Catalyst 70S
    Irons: Callaway '19 Apex Pro Dot 5-PW Elevate Tour 
    Wedges: Callaway MD 4 52/MD 2 56/Custom 60 WB Grind Modus 115 Wedge 
    Putter: Toulon Design Garage Palm Beach RG
    Ball: Callaway CSX Triple Track
    Bag: Vessel Black 14 way carry

My WITB

Advertisement
  • BDoubleGBDoubleG Hamilton, Ontario 1341WRX Points: 132Members Posts: 1,341
    Love the podcast so far - far and away my favourite eps are the Two Guys. you guys are great - I feel like I could jump in and just have a great chat with you.

I'm only part-way through the second 2 Guys ep, so maybe it's already happening, but I would love a 2-3-minute follow-up from the ep before. At the end of the first ep, you had set up your budget bags and asked for people to submit their budget bag recommendations (I remember seeing a thread on it in the forums). It would be great to see you briefly recap with some of the best user-submitted bags.

Other topics i'd love to see are:

- Do you stick to one set-up, or change it based on conditions?

- Most iconic clubs from recent years (best driver from 460cc era, best fairway etc.)

- One-brand bag, top to bottom (there's definitely a thread or two floating around on this right now)

- Top-loaded vs bottom-loaded bag (more wedges or more woods)

I'm sure some of these have already been brought up, and I'm sure they wouldn't take up anywhere near a full ep each, but it would just be great to hear some fellow gearheads' perspectives, especially since Knudson is a "latest and greatest" guy while Tursky seems to hold onto what works for him.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 | GD Tour AD BB 7
    Callaway XR Deep Tour Issue | UST Chrome TourSPX 8
    Srixon Z U65 3 | MRC OTi 105
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 4-P | TT DG S400 Tour Issue
    Vokey SM6 50.08 F | TT DG S300
    Vokey SM6 54.10 S | TT DG S300
    Vokey SM7 58.12 D | TT DG S300
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Just want to thank you guys again for all the feedback and ideas. This week, we've started up what we think will be a recurring Forum Member WITB segment. For the first edition, we had J13 on the podcast. We went super in depth on his clubs, testing philosophies, thoughts on fitting and way more.

Here's the link where you can find the podcast: http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

As always, we appreciate any feedback. Hope you enjoy listening.
    Posted:
  • linkerpanlinkerpan  1461WRX Points: 112ClubWRX Posts: 1,461
    I want to hear a podcast featuring member Richard (forged4ever) and nikegal. How to keep a relationship and love for golf!!
    Posted:
    Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
    Tee EX10 Beta 13, 18. Hzrdus Yellow, Accra 300F
    M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
    M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
    P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
    Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
    Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350
    Snell MTB balls
    Bushnell V2 range finder
    Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
    UA Storm Stand bag

WITB Link

Advertisement
  • adam.byrneadam.byrne  219WRX Points: 25Members Posts: 219
    How about some tour reps talking about whacky setups or irregularities? Inside the ropes guys do caddy corner, caddies always have interesting stories and thoughts. Really liked the witb interview with the forum member. Nerds love fellow nerds. More please! Great job so far. Great concept and good ideas in this thread. Thank you!!!
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.