2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Chicago Clubs

Fellow Midwest Golfers,

I will be moving to Chicago early in 2017 and want to join a club and continue playing golf (moving from Columbus). I played golf in college and have continued to play at a fairly high level and would love to join a club with competitive games. I am 25 and will not have the capital to join the top tier clubs that require $$ initiation.

Any ideas on good clubs with reasonable dues? I will be living in Lincoln Park and will most likely have a car.

Thanks,

TL

Have a look at clubs in the southern burbs. Flossmoor, Idlewild, Calumet and Olympia Fields are all near each other and compete for members. I don't think Olympia's rates are on the same level as the others though. Even Midlothian is worth a look as I remember it having decent offers for young members a while back.

Price-wise southern Burbs is a good option. Driving from Lincoln Park though will not be great. Obviously North would be the best logistically, but you are looking at higher price. I just moved out of the city to Naperville, playing golf isn't easy when you live in the city and in my opinion, it is tough to play enough to make the fees worth it. Obviously, I don't know your job or what time constraints you have, but for me it was very tough to get out enough to make it worth it and the biggest reason I moved to the Burbs. Good luck, i know i didn't provide much, just my opinion though.

I heard calumet will close as well. Floosmoor is a nice track, but Olympia Fields is NOT the cost of the top tier clubs anymore, but still is a top tier club for sure. Their initiation is very reasonable IMO. For under 40 I think it is reasonable initiation only and dues around 350 a month believe it or not for your age of 25. You can take the train down there very convenient. Check it out as they really will be the last man standing on the South Side.

Beverly CC would be another option which will be a little closer and very reasonable initiation and 350 a month dues for your age bracket. I don't know how close the train is to Beverly but OFCC it is easy walk like 5 minutes or so til you hit the front gate.

If you’re 25 years old, Flossmoor is an awesome deal if they are still offering their new member initiative rates and I believe that’s the reason a few WRX members recently joined.

I’m biased but I contend they have some of the best greens in Chicago if not the state (both condition wise and green complexes). Course is a good challenge for low hdcp players (had the IL State Mid Am there for ~5 or 6 years before it moved last year). Drive kind of sucks to the South burbs but it’s better than going NW or West, basically most clubs are a crappy drive from LP.

Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
Evnroll ER2

Price-wise southern Burbs is a good option. Driving from Lincoln Park though will not be great. Obviously North would be the best logistically, but you are looking at higher price. I just moved out of the city to Naperville, playing golf isn't easy when you live in the city and in my opinion, it is tough to play enough to make the fees worth it. Obviously, I don't know your job or what time constraints you have, but for me it was very tough to get out enough to make it worth it and the biggest reason I moved to the Burbs. Good luck, i know i didn't provide much, just my opinion though.

Welcome to Naperhell!

I am a member at Idlewild CC, and can give you some info on that course if you would like. Like others have stated, I too heard that Calumet may be going public. They are going to open their doors next year as a private course, but may go public during the year. I also heard that Flossmoor is somewhat struggling. OFCC is a great course with great facilities if you can afford the monthly costs, and also Prestwick CC in Frankfort is also a pretty good course with good amenities. It all comes down to what your budget is, there are a lot of mid tier clubs that area great in the Chicago area, and there are also a few high end clubs that are amazing if you have the money.

In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

I am a member at Idlewild CC, and can give you some info on that course if you would like. Like others have stated, I too heard that Calumet may be going public. They are going to open their doors next year as a private course, but may go public during the year. I also heard that Flossmoor is somewhat struggling. OFCC is a great course with great facilities if you can afford the monthly costs, and also Prestwick CC in Frankfort is also a pretty good course with good amenities. It all comes down to what your budget is, there are a lot of mid tier clubs that area great in the Chicago area, and there are also a few high end clubs that are amazing if you have the money.

My budget would be ~$500/month all in.

Gonna be honest here. $500/month, all in, will be very difficult to do in the Chicago area for a pure private club. Let's say you find one with a small initiation and $350/month in dues. Add in carts/caddies, libations after the round (at my old club, everyone had a a drink or two while they were adding up the scores) and pretty soon you are up to significantly more than that.

There are some nice semi-privates with annual memberships in the $3500-5000 range.

Gonna be honest here. $500/month, all in, will be very difficult to do in the Chicago area for a pure private club. Let's say you find one with a small initiation and $350/month in dues. Add in carts/caddies, libations after the round (at my old club, everyone had a a drink or two while they were adding up the scores) and pretty soon you are up to significantly more than that.

There are some nice semi-privates with annual memberships in the $3500-5000 range.

Have to agree with you on this. I am 33, and have an associate membership, and my in season dues range from about $600 on the low end to about $900 if I am playing in tournaments, or have a family events that we attend. Dues will not be the issue, but cart fees, assessments, range fees, locker room fees, clubhouse fees, taxes, all add up. It may only cost you $150 a month in dues, but if you play 4 or 5 times a month with a cart, spend $150 a month on food / beverage (which is the monthly minimum in season), attend a club function, and play in 1 tournament a month, it will cost you around $600 - $700 minimum. As has been stated by oldpalchamp, there are many semi private or even better public courses that you could play at for cheaper than your budget.

In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

Flossmoor is hardly struggling. Next year I heard the deal is changing and will have a small downstroke. $500:a month you could do Flossmoor until you are 40. I checked out all the sothside clubs before I joined there and by far the best deal for the amenities and as previously mentioned superior conditioning compared to the other mid priced clubs and most of the more expensive ones. We had 7 guys join from Calumet last week all low 30s in age.

My advice...email them all, google map vs your place for travel times and play all of them that fit your price range. It will be easy to choose which one stands out.

Taylormade M2 10.5 degree Tensei Orange V2 60TX Prototype
Taylormade M2 Proto 13/ Mitsubishi Tensi Blue 70tX
Taylormade GAPR Mid 3H Oban Devotion HB 85
Miura CB 301 4-GW True Temper Rifle 7.0
Edel Putter

Flossmoor is hardly struggling. Next year I heard the deal is changing and will have a small downstroke. $500:a month you could do Flossmoor until you are 40. I checked out all the sothside clubs before I joined there and by far the best deal for the amenities and as previously mentioned superior conditioning compared to the other mid priced clubs and most of the more expensive ones. We had 7 guys join from Calumet last week all low 30s in age.

My advice...email them all, google map vs your place for travel times and play all of them that fit your price range. It will be easy to choose which one stands out.

Wow did you guys get a group rate or what? No wonder Calumet is dying with an exodus like that. What was your deal at Floosmoor?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Naperhell!

I hear that!

I never thought traffic could get worse in the Naperville area than when I was living there full time (2004) but I was back recently to clean up my house after my renters moved out and the traffic was PURE HELL!

Hey TL! Rent my house in White Eagle and you can play golf there all you want!

Welcome to Naperhell!

I hear that!

I never thought traffic could get worse in the Naperville area than when I was living there full time (2004) but I was back recently to clean up my house after my renters moved out and the traffic was PURE HELL!

Hey TL! Rent my house in White Eagle and you can play golf there all you want!

Ironically, I've lived in WE since 1999.

Wow did you guys get a group rate or what? No wonder Calumet is dying with an exodus like that. What was your deal at Floosmoor?

I don't think they got any type of group rate- but got in at 2017 prices. I was told prices for Flossmoor is possibly changing in 2018 but nothing officially released yet. I talked to a recently "former" Calumet member that they aren't closing and plan on staying open with 130 members and are "happy" with that number. Not sure what the condition will be like next year with that little revenue coming in but I'm sure the rounds will be fast!

Taylormade M2 10.5 degree Tensei Orange V2 60TX Prototype
Taylormade M2 Proto 13/ Mitsubishi Tensi Blue 70tX
Taylormade GAPR Mid 3H Oban Devotion HB 85
Miura CB 301 4-GW True Temper Rifle 7.0
Edel Putter

I'm a social member at Crystal Tree In Orland Park. I'd love to be a full member but my 3 and 5 years olds are in so much stuff it is tough to find the time to golf weekly. Anyways when I was looking into social or golf memberships the pricing was pretty reasonable for someone your age. $500 initiation fee and then after that it is $312, +20 (clubhouse fee, gets you big discounts on anything in the shop) +55 per month food spend. So all in after initiation it would be $387 per month. Orland Park would still be hike from Lincoln Park though and I think you'd have a tough time justifying all that money when I doubt you'd get out that much. Especially being young in Chicago, in the summer. I remember those days and going to the burbs to play golf would have been very low on my list.

I'm a social member at Crystal Tree In Orland Park. I'd love to be a full member but my 3 and 5 years olds are in so much stuff it is tough to find the time to golf weekly. Anyways when I was looking into social or golf memberships the pricing was pretty reasonable for someone your age. $500 initiation fee and then after that it is $312, +20 (clubhouse fee, gets you big discounts on anything in the shop) +55 per month food spend. So all in after initiation it would be $387 per month. Orland Park would still be hike from Lincoln Park though and I think you'd have a tough time justifying all that money when I doubt you'd get out that much. Especially being young in Chicago, in the summer. I remember those days and going to the burbs to play golf would have been very low on my list.

Congrats on "Like" #1.

Congrats on "Like" #1.

Haha, thanks! Been a long time lurker!

Congrats on "Like" #1.

I am Also a Member at C-tree you are forgetting about cart fees and if you drink or eat at all i think he would be looking closer to 6 or 7 hundred if he played twice a week and had a few meals. A few of my friends have looked into it and with the cart fees they have estimated the intermediate membership to be around the 6 or 7 hundred dollar range. I am lucky i am a legacy member so my membership is extremely affordable.

Congrats on "Like" #1.

I am Also a Member at C-tree you are forgetting about cart fees and if you drink or eat at all i think he would be looking closer to 6 or 7 hundred if he played twice a week and had a few meals. A few of my friends have looked into it and with the cart fees they have estimated the intermediate membership to be around the 6 or 7 hundred dollar range. I am lucky i am a legacy member so my membership is extremely affordable.

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned the "hidden" fees but I thought that was pretty much a given no matter where you join. Lucky you! I wish I was a legacy!

• 1 month later...

Hi There. I'm a member at Riverside Golf club and we have Junior Executive membership for under 36. Dues and fees would under $500 per month for a junior. We just completed a significant course renovation last year. PM me of you would like more details. Best part for city guys is Riverside is 10 miles west of the loop near 1st Avenue and 290.

Hi There. I'm a member at Riverside Golf club and we have Junior Executive membership for under 36. Dues and fees would under $500 per month for a junior. We just completed a significant course renovation last year. PM me of you would like more details. Best part for city guys is Riverside is 10 miles west of the loop near 1st Avenue and 290.

I'm not a prospective member, but just interested in hearing about the course work you did. Any details you could provide? Bunkers/trees....that sort of thing?

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Olympia Fields if you like classic, Butler National if you like modern.

MM

Butler is at least $150,000.00 to join, if not more.

This is not true..

This is from 2010 but validates the comment. http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20100708/BLOGS05/307089996/initiation-fee-for-new-area-club-125-000

I'm sure the initiation fee could have gone down...

Olympia Fields if you like classic, Butler National if you like modern.

MM

Butler is at least $150,000.00 to join, if not more.

This is not true..

This is from 2010 but validates the comment. http://www.chicagobu...ea-club-125-000

I'm sure the initiation fee could have gone down...

No doubt Butler is the highest, but not sure what would be. I know Shoreacres up north is rumored to be close to 6 figures as well.