2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

USGA Four-Ball moves from Chambers to Bandon Dunes!

dpark

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

What grass type are on the Bandon greens?

They were all fescue but the Poa is pretty much taking over. They will be nothing like what people saw at Chambers though. The Poa is coming in nicely and the fescue grows completely differently there due to the temperatures. By the time that tournament happens they will probably be 100% Poa.

The crazy thing is even when they are kinda shaggy they roll ridiculously true there and pretty fast because of how healthy the soil is.

That is one tournament I would like to see on TV. That is the closest I will get to BD. lol

I'm with Sean on this. Like to see it, will never be there.

Oh cool. I definitely will watch. My bucket list includes playing at Bandon Dunes.

Unless you are planning to go peak season (June-Sept), you can play Bandon pretty inexpensively. We have an annual trip every year in March. They weather can go either way, but we usually get more good days than bad days, and even play in shorts sometimes. We stay for 3 days, 2 nights, play all 5 courses (18, 36, 18+13) and the whole trip is less than $1K.

Way cheaper than a trip to Pebble.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

They were all fescue but the Poa is pretty much taking over. They will be nothing like what people saw at Chambers though. The Poa is coming in nicely and the fescue grows completely differently there due to the temperatures. By the time that tournament happens they will probably be 100% Poa.

The crazy thing is even when they are kinda shaggy they roll ridiculously true there and pretty fast because of how healthy the soil is.

Thanks. Google failed me. Yeah it is hard to keep Poa from taking over. I played Chambers the first year it opened and there was no Poa Annua. The greens were very hard but slow and fuzzy. Not much difference between the fairways and greens. Wine Valley in Walla Walla is another with Fescue fairways I think mixed with Blue Grass. The greens I believe are Bent Grass. They are very hard and fast and roll true.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Thanks. Google failed me. Yeah it is hard to keep Poa from taking over. I played Chambers the first year it opened and there was no Poa Annua. The greens were very hard but slow and fuzzy. Not much difference between the fairways and greens. Wine Valley in Walla Walla is another with Fescue fairways I think mixed with Blue Grass. The greens I believe are Bent Grass. They are very hard and fast and roll true.

I had a Super I respect very much tell me that anyone who says they can definitively keep Poa off a course in the PNW is full off mess. Especially closer to the valleys. Now if they allow or approve the chemical that kills Poa and lets the other grasses grow they will have better luck but from my understanding they are on the 3rd round of changes and the chemical is still not approved for mass usage. A couple courses have been granted waivers to test the product like one of the Sunriver courses but until then no chance. From what I have heard is all it takes is one spore or seed stuck in a golf shoe and it will spread.

That is one tournament I would like to see on TV. That is the closest I will get to BD. lol

Oh cool. I definitely will watch. My bucket list includes playing at Bandon Dunes.

Unless you are planning to go peak season (June-Sept), you can play Bandon pretty inexpensively. We have an annual trip every year in March. They weather can go either way, but we usually get more good days than bad days, and even play in shorts sometimes. We stay for 3 days, 2 nights, play all 5 courses (18, 36, 18+13) and the whole trip is less than $1K.

Assuming you don't have to factor in airfare from the east coast.....

And that is the weekend I was planning my trip for :russian_roulette: :russian_roulette:

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Assuming you don't have to factor in airfare from the east coast.....

As long as you aren't doing it last minute, airfare isn't horrendous. And if you use an airline credit card, you can use FF miles to get there. Alaska Air is probably the best airline to get to PDX or North Bend.

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

No thanks. I gave up fast and cheap golf trips a few years ago. The older I get the more important comfort and relaxing become. Now, I never do more than 18 per day, no shared rooms, always go during peak season, and don't play on travel days.

A week at Bandon will run me close to $6000.

• Like 1

No thanks. I gave up fast and cheap golf trips a few years ago. The older I get the more important comfort and relaxing become. Now, I never do more than 18 per day, no shared rooms, always go during peak season, and don't play on travel days.

A week at Bandon will run me close to $6000.

In that case you are correct.

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

• 11 months later...

Ok, so I am a first time poster on here, long time "lurker". Bringing this old post up from the depths because my partner and I have qualified for the USGA Amatuer Four-Ball at Bandon Dunes (Old Mac & Pacific Dunes) in May. To say we are excited is an under-statement!

I have spent a ton of time reading about everyone's experiences with Bandon Dunes regarding all aspects, and the expectation level has been set VERY high. That being said, I am wondering if anyone posting on these forums participated in any of the previous USGA events hosted at Bandon? I am curious as to how the course set up was for those events (I realize they have utilized all the courses there at some point in the different events), and if chipping/pitching was as much of a factor for the players as it has been for the general reviews I have read?

I am also struggling to figure out what sort of club setup I would like to take out there, as I have no idea how many less-than-driver shots there will be off the tees, etc... Any advice on that front would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance. This is a great site and a great community, I am excited to finally break the barrier and be a part of it.

Why, pray tell, will you never be there?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Ok, so I am a first time poster on here, long time "lurker". Bringing this old post up from the depths because my partner and I have qualified for the USGA Amatuer Four-Ball at Bandon Dunes (Old Mac & Pacific Dunes) in May. To say we are excited is an under-statement!

I have spent a ton of time reading about everyone's experiences with Bandon Dunes regarding all aspects, and the expectation level has been set VERY high. That being said, I am wondering if anyone posting on these forums participated in any of the previous USGA events hosted at Bandon? I am curious as to how the course set up was for those events (I realize they have utilized all the courses there at some point in the different events), and if chipping/pitching was as much of a factor for the players as it has been for the general reviews I have read?

I am also struggling to figure out what sort of club setup I would like to take out there, as I have no idea how many less-than-driver shots there will be off the tees, etc... Any advice on that front would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance. This is a great site and a great community, I am excited to finally break the barrier and be a part of it.

If you can swing it 100% prioritize coming out here and playing before the tournament. Also, go ahead and get one of the best of Bandon's caddies lined up (or two). My guess is they'll play from the tips with 6 easy, 6 middle, and 6 hard pins. The courses are short and depending on the wind you hit less than driver A LOT.

Edited to add: the rate drops this week and the weather has been fantastic. I'd come ASAP, as it will give you the winter to think about it.

Second edit: to better answer your question, drop a wedge. Favor the long end of your bag.

If you can swing it 100% prioritize coming out here and playing before the tournament. Also, go ahead and get one of the best of Bandon's caddies lined up (or two). My guess is they'll play from the tips with 6 easy, 6 middle, and 6 hard pins. The courses are short and depending on the wind you hit less than driver A LOT.

Edited to add: the rate drops this week and the weather has been fantastic. I'd come ASAP, as it will give you the winter to think about it.

Second edit: to better answer your question, drop a wedge. Favor the long end of your bag.

We are very fortunate that two of our best friends also qualified at a different site, so the 4 of us are travelling together. Our current thought is to get a forecaddie for each of the practice rounds (a friend of mine caddied out there for several years and said he would line us up with someone that could really help us and would understand what we were trying to accomplish with a practice round for an event like this) and then just hoof it ourselves. I can't speak for everyone, but unless someone I know pretty well is caddying for me, I find it can hurt me as much as it helps me. I would "hope" this would be sufficient to get an idea of how things should work around the two courses, but who knows, I would assume most everyone in the field will be in the same boat, it should be a different kind of golf than almost everyone is used to playing.

We are all fortunate enough to have other USGA event experience under our belts, so I typically have some idea of what course set ups will be like, but this is such a radical departure from the norm that I have no idea what to prepare for lol. Either way, should be a fantastic week.

We are very fortunate that two of our best friends also qualified at a different site, so the 4 of us are travelling together. Our current thought is to get a forecaddie for each of the practice rounds (a friend of mine caddied out there for several years and said he would line us up with someone that could really help us and would understand what we were trying to accomplish with a practice round for an event like this) and then just hoof it ourselves. I can't speak for everyone, but unless someone I know pretty well is caddying for me, I find it can hurt me as much as it helps me. I would "hope" this would be sufficient to get an idea of how things should work around the two courses, but who knows, I would assume most everyone in the field will be in the same boat, it should be a different kind of golf than almost everyone is used to playing.

We are all fortunate enough to have other USGA event experience under our belts, so I typically have some idea of what course set ups will be like, but this is such a radical departure from the norm that I have no idea what to prepare for lol. Either way, should be a fantastic week.

Had this happen a few years ago at Winged Foot, the other two guys that came out of our site were good buddies of me/my partner. We played the practice rounds together, hung out at the course together, practiced together, walked around the grounds checking it all out, etc...Was really cool to do all that with buddies. Good luck to yall, our qualifier is not until March blah.

Had this happen a few years ago at Winged Foot, the other two guys that came out of our site were good buddies of me/my partner. We played the practice rounds together, hung out at the course together, practiced together, walked around the grounds checking it all out, etc...Was really cool to do all that with buddies. Good luck to yall, our qualifier is not until March blah.

I can honestly say I can't understand why the qualifiers are split up between two years for this event, but it is what it is I guess. The guys going with us qualified for Winged Foot as well, and they actually made match play, and they said it was a great time. This is the first USGA Four-Ball I have qualified for, and I am sure it's going to be fun. The guys told me it's a good bit more laid back that a Mid-Am or Am, so I am thinking it may be more of a State Team type vibe or something, which would be fun.

Best of luck at your qualifier in March. It's a long time to wait to punch that ticket!

assuming you've checked, but if not, there might be some information to glean from their fly-overs of each hole on their website ...