Project X vs Project X LZ

Doc CDoc C ClubWRX Posts: 88 ClubWRX
A little about myself. I'm a 3 handicap with a 106 mph driver clubhead speed. I have a less than parallel backswing and a fast/aggressive transition.



I was interested in trying the PX LZ shafts so I did what most of us WRXer's do and ordered a 5-PW set. I installed the PW, 8-iron, and 5-iron shafts into my current gamer set (Titileist TMBs) and hit the range. I currently game the Project X 5.5s in my TMBs. I went back and forth hitting irons with PX 5.5 shafts and PX LZ 5.5 shafts. My initial swings with the LZ's felt like I was swinging a stiffer shaft. The LZs felt really stable just like the PXs and I must say I felt like I hit them a bit straighter. I was able to flight the ball as well as hit it high with LZs however, I felt like it was easier to load the PXs easier than the LZs. I didn't take them to the course so no shots on greens therefore, I can't comment on spin or how they hold. I can't say I felt the load any easier on the LZs than the PXs.



Perhaps if I would have tried the LZs in a 5.0, maybe they would have felt a little better for me. After about an hour range session I have to say I'm going to stay with the PXs over the LZs.
Titleist TS3 Driver Evenflow White 65g 6.5
Srixon Z F65 3-wood Oban Kiyoshi White 65g 05
PXG 0311 3-PW Project X 6.5
Taylormade Milled Grind 50,54,58, Tour Issue S400
Lajosi DD201 Stainless Steel 35"
Tagged:

Comments

  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,195 ClubWRX
    Same for me. These shafts are not similar. The PX Rifle was clearly the winner in my testing. I did not find myself wowed by the LZ. I get a more powerful ball flight with the PX. Have played 6.0 but moved to 5.5 and all is well. Like the weignt. If anything, I may demo a 5.0 one day. All kinds of players finding the PX 5.0 -- it is same 115g weight -- can handle speeds above what you might expect, giving the potential of a touch more feel.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • OcRockRollerOcRockRoller Humble Donkey Members Posts: 181 ✭✭
    Try a PX LZ 105g 5.5, the 105g have a bit of smooth load if you ask me
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,671 ClubWRX
    Doc C, don't know if this well be helpful or not,, but I'll throw it out there anyway.



    I'm similar to you in driver SS and handicap, perhaps a little longer in the backswing and perhaps no as aggressive a transistion. I've been a PX 6.0 player for a lot of years. Always been a good performer and I've always really liked the feel. This year I started to feel I was having to work extra hard to get the the same results with them (the age thing is getting me), distances were down a full club and sometimes even more. But it just didn't feel like the club was "working" for me anymore, more the other way around.



    I picked up a demo set of Mizuno JPX 900 Forged irons out of the shop that had LZ 5.5's in them. The change was dramatic. The feel and responsiveness is back. Distances also (although I know the lofts are a big part of that). I just can't believe the change. I probably waited at least a year too long before switching.



    BTW, mine are 115g.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • hardcaliberhardcaliber Members Posts: 709 ✭✭
    Doc C wrote:


    A little about myself. I'm a 3 handicap with a 106 mph driver clubhead speed. I have a less than parallel backswing and a fast/aggressive transition.



    I was interested in trying the PX LZ shafts so I did what most of us WRXer's do and ordered a 5-PW set. I installed the PW, 8-iron, and 5-iron shafts into my current gamer set (Titileist TMBs) and hit the range. I currently game the Project X 5.5s in my TMBs. I went back and forth hitting irons with PX 5.5 shafts and PX LZ 5.5 shafts. My initial swings with the LZ's felt like I was swinging a stiffer shaft. The LZs felt really stable just like the PXs and I must say I felt like I hit them a bit straighter. I was able to flight the ball as well as hit it high with LZs however, I felt like it was easier to load the PXs easier than the LZs. I didn't take them to the course so no shots on greens therefore, I can't comment on spin or how they hold. I can't say I felt the load any easier on the LZs than the PXs.



    Perhaps if I would have tried the LZs in a 5.0, maybe they would have felt a little better for me. After about an hour range session I have to say I'm going to stay with the PXs over the LZs.




    Your experience is very atypical.



    Your swing speed and fast transition would seem to indicate that both the project x 5.5 and lz 5.5 would be too soft.



    Also, the vast majority of reviews on here think the lz plays softer than the old school project x. For example, I used to play the old project x flighted at 5.0 and currently play lz at 5.5 and the lz are much easier to swing for me.



    I don't intend this as criticism, i just think its interesting how subjective shaft preferences can be.
  • Shld12Shld12 Members Posts: 20
    I went from project x 5.5 to project x lz 6.0. Absolutely love the lzs. Slightly higher but still a strong ball flight. Plus so much easier on the elbow.



    As a side note. I was fitted into the project x 6.0s but to me the 5.5s just felt better.
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭
    edited Dec 10, 2017 #7
    I just ordered a set of Callaway Apex MB with Project X LZ 6.0. It was between that and Project X 6.0. Mizuno shaft optimizer picked Project X LZ 6.5 and Project X 6.5 as my top two shaft choices. I did not want to go that stiff as 6.0 felt plenty stiff to me.



    I think they are VERY similar. Both load and unload almost identical to me. Ball flight and numbers on track man imo were over ridden by strike. To me LZ just feels like it loads a little better and slightly better feel. Not much in it



    85 MPH average swing speed with 7 iron btw in track man. I am a little past parallel on back swing with quick transition.
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • awtryau89awtryau89 Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    Feel in these shafts is so subjective. I fall in the camp of the OP. After studying up on this and receiving some replies from PX they told me the LZs have a stiffer butt and tip than original PX in the same flex. The mid section is much softer though. Depending on how you load the shaft, the LZs can feel softer or stouter. In my swing, the regular PX do feel "more normal" to me. I have had those "wow" moments with the LZs and they kick like mules. Still I find I can swing a 6.0 or 5.5 regular PX and definitely need the 5.5s in the LZs to get any responsiveness. To each his own and I would say just trust your feel.
  • DaveMacDaveMac Members Posts: 3,113 ✭✭
    All the club building bend profile data available shows the Project X LZ to be significantly softer than the standard Project X.



    This article contains a couple of EI comparison illustrations close to the bottom of the page.



    http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/understand-golf-shaft-stiffness-ratings/



    Mizuno's EI data also shows the same differences in bend profile.
  • akim47akim47 Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Old thread, but new comments. Has anyone have additional insight on PX vs. PX LZ? I've been to a couple fitting/ demo days to compare the two. LZs - only slightly higher launch and spin. But in terms of feel/ loading, very good such that I'm sold on the LZ. Also compared to C-Taper, DG S300, Modus 120



    numbers wise, all were relatively close. That's just me and these lower spin/ lower launch shafts. so then it's all on feel and I have to say I really like the LZs in that aspect.
  • Maverick22Maverick22 Members Posts: 166 ✭✭
    I played PX 5.5 in a set for two years but moved away from them earlier this year because I found the feel in the longer longer irons to be too boardy. Recently, I have hit some demo clubs and really liked the PX LZ. Interestingly, I preferred the the 6.0 over the 5.5 in the PX LZ. Perhaps it is the higher weight.
  • clubberclubber Members Posts: 84 ✭✭
    I had project x 6.0 (flighted) in ping i20s. Like them but didn’t love the board feel. Also always wondered if 5.5 would be better. Changed to s55 irons with the lz 5.5 and love them. Numbers are good on track man (meaning not spiny. The only adjustment I had to make is how much higher the ball flight is. It is a strong ball flight. But high. They don’t feel soft by any stretch. Plan on a fitting to compare Lz 5.5 to 6.0 when I replace the s55 irons in another year. Really like that combination though.
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Members Posts: 1,148 ✭✭
    I’m gaming the 5.5 LZ in my MP18 blades. The Modus 120 would be close in feel, and second on my list. The LZ gave me more clubhead speed than the below mentioned.



    After a handful of rounds now, I do notice that is is very easy to draw the ball.


    akim47 wrote:


    Old thread, but new comments. Has anyone have additional insight on PX vs. PX LZ? I've been to a couple fitting/ demo days to compare the two. LZs - only slightly higher launch and spin. But in terms of feel/ loading, very good such that I'm sold on the LZ. Also compared to C-Taper, DG S300, Modus 120



    numbers wise, all were relatively close. That's just me and these lower spin/ lower launch shafts. so then it's all on feel and I have to say I really like the LZs in that aspect.
    Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Odyssey RX9
  • bbiggsbbiggs Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

    I was fitted into the PX LZ 5.5 by the Mizuno shaft optimizer. Coming from DG S300, the feel is significantly better. My first outdoor range session did show a tendency for the ball to draw more than I’m accustomed to. I think/hope it was more swing related as I’m adjusting to the weight and bend profile, as well as being early season. Only other option would have been the PX LZ 6.0, but I’m trusting the technology’s recommendation and not fighting it this time. For reference, 85 mph avg 6i speed with smooth transition/ tempo.

  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Members Posts: 244 ✭✭

    I too was fit into the LZ 5.5 by the optimizer. That ended up being the shaft I selected, and now that I have my full set I can't imagine how I ended up going with that as my choice. For me, the butt is just way too stiff. It feels like a rock in my hands, and the shaft in general feels too beefy for me to handle. I have a lower swing speed (upper 90's w/ driver) and am an 8 handicap. I never tried the 5.0, maybe that would have been a better option for me. I know everyone's swing is different and that feel is entirely subjective, but I just can't imaging that someone with an average or slower swing speed would be able to load that shaft.

  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members Posts: 8,687 ✭✭

    Im a regular project x player, 5.5 hardstepped. Tried the LZ in a couple flexes and absolutely hated them - god awful feel for me. Makes me shiver thinking about it.

    Cobra F9 - Speeder TS 6.2
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    Speedback F9 4i - DG 105 x100
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • TPG1971TPG1971 Don't Get Rolled Members Posts: 959 ✭✭

    @Lord Helmet said:
    Im a regular project x player, 5.5 hardstepped. Tried the LZ in a couple flexes and absolutely hated them - god awful feel for me. Makes me shiver thinking about it.

    How are the elbows? I had some 5.5's in some AP2's and after one season my elbow was done. I switched to a lighter shaft AWT 2.0 and now I hit rainmakers... I was looking at the PX LZ

    PING G30 9.5 Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 63 Stiff
    Titleist 917F 16.5 Diamana Blue Stiff
    PING G410 19* Hybrid Mitsubishi CK Pro Blue 80 Stiff
    PING I200 4-PW Red Dot AWT 2.0 R Hard Stepped once
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Red Dot AWT Wedge Flex
    RTX-3 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
    Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
    Cameron 009 A012056
  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members Posts: 8,687 ✭✭

    @TPG1971 said:

    @Lord Helmet said:
    Im a regular project x player, 5.5 hardstepped. Tried the LZ in a couple flexes and absolutely hated them - god awful feel for me. Makes me shiver thinking about it.

    How are the elbows? I had some 5.5's in some AP2's and after one season my elbow was done. I switched to a lighter shaft AWT 2.0 and now I hit rainmakers... I was looking at the PX LZ

    Mine are fine! I love my Project X shafts. Guess it just works for my swing?

    Cobra F9 - Speeder TS 6.2
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    Speedback F9 4i - DG 105 x100
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • JRL2JRL2 Members Posts: 31 ✭✭

    I tried them both when I got fitted. For my quick transition, the Project X 6.0 was better in terms of dispersion and spin. They are hard on the elbow and if I hit a lot off mats, I would have gone in a different direction. I wear a compression sleeve, and have had no problems.

    "The most important shot in golf is the next one" - Ben Hogan

    Taylormade M5, Aldila Copperhead 65, stiff
    Taylormade M1, 3 wood, Hazrdus Black 75 5.5
    Taylormade M2, 3/4 hybrid, Rogue
    Titleist AP2 718 5-GW Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56 degree SW
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey SM7 60 degree LW[/font]
    Ping Ketsch Mid Heavy
  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Members Posts: 244 ✭✭

    @Lord Helmet said:
    Im a regular project x player, 5.5 hardstepped. Tried the LZ in a couple flexes and absolutely hated them - god awful feel for me. Makes me shiver thinking about it.

    How are the elbows? I had some 5.5's in some AP2's and after one season my elbow was done. I switched to a lighter shaft AWT 2.0 and now I hit rainmakers... I was looking at the PX LZ

    I have had some right elbow issues over the years that have come from hitting off of mats. I haven't had my LZ's long enough to know for sure, but if I had to guess the extremely stiff butt is likely to be pretty harsh for any issues one might have in the wrists or elbows.

  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members Posts: 8,687 ✭✭

    Yeah I was nervous when hitting the PX as I had heard about all the elbow and wrist issues folks were having. Fortunately for me, I have had nothing but a great experience with the shaft. Regular PX, not LZ. Best of luck to all.

    Cobra F9 - Speeder TS 6.2
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    Speedback F9 4i - DG 105 x100
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Members Posts: 244 ✭✭

    @Lord Helmet said:
    Yeah I was nervous when hitting the PX as I had heard about all the elbow and wrist issues folks were having. Fortunately for me, I have had nothing but a great experience with the shaft. Regular PX, not LZ. Best of luck to all.

    Yes, I think the LZ is very much a different animal from the regular PX.

  • bbiggsbbiggs Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

    @clp34vmp said:
    I too was fit into the LZ 5.5 by the optimizer. That ended up being the shaft I selected, and now that I have my full set I can't imagine how I ended up going with that as my choice. For me, the butt is just way too stiff. It feels like a rock in my hands, and the shaft in general feels too beefy for me to handle. I have a lower swing speed (upper 90's w/ driver) and am an 8 handicap. I never tried the 5.0, maybe that would have been a better option for me. I know everyone's swing is different and that feel is entirely subjective, but I just can't imaging that someone with an average or slower swing speed would be able to load that shaft.

    It is interesting how different people are getting very different results from these. I need anothe practice session under my belt, but I don’t feel the LZ being stout at all. If anything it’s like a wet noodle compared to the S300, which to me felt like rebar. The mid section of the LZ is loading very easily with my swing and in comparison to your driver SS, mine is only slightly higher at 103 avg. I really hope I can dial these in rather than switching out to the 6.0 LZ. I’ll know soon (Chicago weather permitting).

  • jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Posts: 2,628 ClubWRX

    Dropping C-Taper S+ 125 as they beat the **** out of my body.
    Have a set of LZ 6.0 and they are much softer than normal PX 6.0.
    Just ordered a set of LZ 6.5 b/c the LZ 6.0 like to spiiiiiiiiin.
    Hopefully LZ 6.5 will cut the spin...and give my body a break from the CT S+.

  • raytonykraytonyk Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

    I just went through multiple demo sets (Titleist 718 ap2 and ap3) alternating PX and PX LZs. Tried the LZs in both 5.5 and 6.0 - found myself consistently drawing the ball too much. Additionally, launch angle was a little too high and spin less than ideal with the LZs. I ended up being fit with the regular PX 6.0 rifle shaft and had a better combo of launch angle and spin, definitely less draw than I was seeing with the LZs. Final set was ap2 with PX 6.0z

Sign In or Register to comment.