Launch monitors under $500

2»

Comments

• shadymgshadymg Members Posts: 168 ✭✭
    wildcatden wrote:

I think people save the box the SC200 came in and put it on that. Otherwise, a standard range mat is about 1.5" thick so you could look for a piece of wood or rubber or something that is 4"x6"x1.5" (or similar dimensions).

Oooh, good idea, but yeah, that would be too thick. Although....maybe opening the box and putting it on the foam could work. Good call mate, i'll give it a whirl shortly!!

Now if only i could figure out how to mute the thing.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭
    The new SC300 looks sweet.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 873 ✭✭
    mrshinsa wrote:

The Garmin looks interesting...

https://www.youtube....h?v=Be-zCf_bwQo

That's pretty interesting. They at least layout the +/- on the radar specs:

Radar Features
    • Integrated launch monitor tracks club head speed, ball speed, smash factor, swing tempo, estimated distance
    • Club head speed accuracy: +/- 5 mph
    • Ball speed accuracy: +/- 2 mph
    • Swing tempo accuracy: +/- 0.3
    • Carry distance accuracy: +/- 5 yards
    • Practice and game modes include warm-up, virtual round, target practice, tempo training
    • Can be used indoors and outdoors
  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    mrshinsa wrote:
    The Garmin looks interesting... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be-zCf_bwQo

I like the look of that. Just set it up on the range with a golf ball. Display easy to read from where you stand, no need to turn around and check a phone or display.
  • shadymgshadymg Members Posts: 168 ✭✭
    following up, i put it on the box and it seemed just as accurate as when it was on the ground. But regardless, i have it anyways, so it'll go on the box going forward. thanks!
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 72 ✭✭
    sdrthedj wrote:

That's a base quad. You then add club data, putting, software etc.

Yea we aren't going the Quad route for sure.

I'm happy with the GC2 (HMT on the way) with FR1 for practice mode. Son puts it in fitting mode and captures all of his data points.

We have TGC so I can play their courses. Protee has a great Online tour schedule as well.

They just released TGC 2019 Alpha for testing yesterday. I've been testing it and the graphics are unreal.

JNPG and OGT knock the protee tour's socks off. It's not even close.

Jealous you have an HMT, very cool.

Have you tried the Protee tour lately? Not sure what it was like before 2018. I've some playing partners that have both now and believe Protee. http://golfsimulatortours.com/home.php

Is much better. I like it that its free. I believe JNPG is 40 bucks I think right?
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • Broessner71Broessner71 Members Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Any further long term reports on the Flightscope mevo?

The SC300 is good looking. $549 on their site.

https://voicecaddie....0-swing-caddie/

The specs on accuracy are here.
    wildcatden wrote:

The SC300 is good looking. $549 on their site.

https://voicecaddie....0-swing-caddie/

The specs on accuracy are here.

I dont have any skin in the game. I would save the 550.
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,715 ✭✭
    Tested one today. Distance is laughably off. Clubhead speed, ballspeed and launch angle were reasonably close (within 3-4 mph and 2*) but I wouldn’t choose to spend $550 on something that’s only somewhat close
    iteachgolf wrote:

Tested one today. Distance is laughably off. Clubhead speed, ballspeed and launch angle were reasonably close (within 3-4 mph and 2*) but I wouldn't choose to spend $550 on something that's only somewhat close

Thanks for the feedback. Bummer. Keeping my fingers crossed that technology continues to get better and drive the price down on launch monitors. Trackman's and GCQuad's are just out of my price range. I'd spend up to maybe $1,000 for a device if it was accurate (99% of the time?) and gave me clubhead speed, ball speed, distance and angle of attack.
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,487 ✭✭
    iteachgolf wrote:

Tested one today. Distance is laughably off. Clubhead speed, ballspeed and launch angle were reasonably close (within 3-4 mph and 2*) but I wouldn't choose to spend $550 on something that's only somewhat close

Im guessing this is the SC300? You found the Mevo to be pretty solid right?
    Krt22 wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Im guessing this is the SC300? You found the Mevo to be pretty solid right?

Yes SC300. Mevo is solid as long as you set it up correctly.
    wildcatden wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Bummer. Keeping my fingers crossed that technology continues to get better and drive the price down on launch monitors. Trackman's and GCQuad's are just out of my price range. I'd spend up to maybe $1,000 for a device if it was accurate (99% of the time?) and gave me clubhead speed, ball speed, distance and angle of attack.

What about a prior generation Flightscope? If you join some of the golf sim forums you can find ones reselling. IMHO save the 550 from SC300 or 500 from Mevo and invest it in a better unit.
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX

wildcatden wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

What about a prior generation Flightscope? If you join some of the golf sim forums you can find ones reselling. IMHO save the 550 from SC300 or 500 from Mevo and invest it in a better unit.

I haven't done any research on prior units. I'm primarily looking for a unit I can take out to the range and/or on the course (for my kid).
    wildcatden wrote:

wildcatden wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

I haven't done any research on prior units. I'm primarily looking for a unit I can take out to the range and/or on the course (for my kid).

https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/classified-ads/commercial-golf-simulators/187959-flightscope-x2-for-sale

They pop up on the GSF from time to time. You dont need to build out anything in the house. These models you can carry out to the range for an hour (s).

Also, carry with you to a hole that your several holes in front of. I have a GC2/HMT. That is our 4th hole. We can see folks from the 4th fairway on the 1st green. Then we have about 30-45 minutes. He will hit 10 shots with a 50 then 54 and 60.
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    The Mevo is 10% off AND free shipping using the code PLAYERS this weekend only.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited Mar 22, 2019 4:49am #50
    Reading some of the reviews about G80, I had high hopes.  Unfortunately, the distance seems to be way off. 
    I know his driver was carrying 160~170 because all balls would plug during the wet winter season.  
    Now that it's stopped raining, and the ground has dried up I measured his driver distance total at around 180~190yards with both neo ghost and the G80's shot tracking feature. 
    However, at the range, the launch monitor was consistently underestimating the distance by at least 20 yards.    
    Yes, we tried regular balls and not just range balls.  Same result.  

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    mrshinsa said:
    Reading some of the reviews about G80, I had high hopes.  Unfortunately, the distance seems to be way off. 
    I know his driver was carrying 160~170 because all balls would plug during the wet winter season.  
    Now that it's stopped raining, and the ground has dried up I measured his driver distance total at around 180~190yards with both neo ghost and the G80's shot tracking feature. 
    However, at the range, the launch monitor was consistently underestimating the distance by at least 20 yards.    

You would probably get those numbers with a better smash factor.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭
    leezer99 said:
    mrshinsa said:

Bottom line, if a monitor isn't tracking the ball then the yardages are going to be off.

I asked the team at Garmin which metrics they directly measure versus what is estimated. They told me that ball speed, club speed, back swing time, and downswing time are measured directly. From those, swing tempo, smash factor, and yardages will be calculated.

@leezer99 said:
    mrshinsa said:

Wouldn’t trust any of those numbers. Laughable to even try to estimate distances without measuring spin

• mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 4:31pm #54

@leezer99 said:
    mrshinsa said:

He hit about 30~40 balls, and he was hitting them the same way as out on the course.
    I came to an understanding that these things are nowhere as close to being accurate as advertised.