ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Callaway APEX MB RAW

2»

Comments

• Paul065Paul065 Advanced Members Posts: 191
    My coach has hit these and says they are very weak, as in compared to say MP18’s, Taylormade 730’s they are 10-12 yards shorter. Anybody found this? Maybe what Rory was talking about after Augusta last year, struggling with spin and distance into the wind, was due to his irons not his ball?
    Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero. 9 degree. Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 S

Mizuno CLK 2. 16 degree. Speeder Evolution HB 75 S

Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 3 iron Project X LZ 6.5 125g

Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-6, MB 7-PW, Project X LZ 6.5 125g

Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw: 50 (12) F, 54 (08) M, 58 (12) D

Ping Sedona

Titleist Pro V1x (2017)
  • LundieJTLundieJT Advanced Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Apex MB Oil. So much wow.
  • raywutangraywutang Advanced Members Posts: 341 ✭✭
    Fritzer wrote:

Where can we find these online in the us since cc is sold out?

Have told myself since the pics of the raw version showed up on here that if I were to go in on new clubs, these would be it! Hoping there's still some out there.

i would inquire about them at jdsclubs, hopefully they have a few sets left.
    Paul065 wrote:

My coach has hit these and says they are very weak, as in compared to say MP18's, Taylormade 730's they are 10-12 yards shorter. Anybody found this? Maybe what Rory was talking about after Augusta last year, struggling with spin and distance into the wind, was due to his irons not his ball?

i think rory attributed it to his golf ball, not his equipment. i think thats when he "fell in love" with the TP5x. Read more here: https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2017/05/09/rory-mcilroy-taylormade-equipment-players-championship.html

With regard to your coach's statement, blades are blades. All 3 of those heads are nearly identical in terms of material, composition and loft. If he's seeing some yardage differences, i would look at shaft or ball.
    raywutang wrote:

Paul065 wrote:

My coach has hit these and says they are very weak, as in compared to say MP18's, Taylormade 730's they are 10-12 yards shorter. Anybody found this? Maybe what Rory was talking about after Augusta last year, struggling with spin and distance into the wind, was due to his irons not his ball?

i think rory attributed it to his golf ball, not his equipment. i think thats when he "fell in love" with the TP5x. Read more here: https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2017/05/09/rory-mcilroy-taylormade-equipment-players-championship.html

With regard to your coach's statement, blades are blades. All 3 of those heads are nearly identical in terms of material, composition and loft. If he's seeing some yardage differences, i would look at shaft or ball.

I’m aware of the speech Rory gave about the ball, I was just speculating that maybe he was quick to blame the 1Vx when if the irons were slightly weaker than he was used to, bearing in mind he was using rifle 7.0 shafts in them, that was attributing to his ball getting knocked out of the sky in the wind.

Ping Sedona

Titleist Pro V1x (2017)
  • falken19150falken19150 Advanced Members Posts: 1,739 ✭✭
    Paul065 wrote:

I have the 730's and the Callys....this is simply is not true for me based upon 6 rounds with each set. In fact the 730's are about 1* weaker loft than the Callys stock from the factory.
    Paul065 wrote:

I'm aware of the speech Rory gave about the ball, I was just speculating that maybe he was quick to blame the 1Vx when if the irons were slightly weaker than he was used to, bearing in mind he was using rifle 7.0 shafts in them, that was attributing to his ball getting knocked out of the sky in the wind.

i guess im not sure how one can quantify that one iron is weaker than the others given that all 3 heads are produced from 1025 carbon steel and under go a very similar if not identical manufacturing process. with all else equal, those irons will perform very close to one another.
    Thanks for the info guys. We play all of our golf at sea level in medium to strong winds so maybe the conditions on the day he tested them was a contributor.

Problem is I’m now edging toward buying them again 😂

Ping Sedona

Titleist Pro V1x (2017)
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Advanced Members Posts: 2,957 ✭✭
    https://golfsupport.com/golf-clubs/golf-steel-irons/callaway-apex-mb-golf-irons

Select head colour "Oil" for the raw finish. They'll ship to the US, too.
    Callaway GBB Epic Forged 9.5° Diamana BF60S
    TM M2 DF 16.5° Diamana W 80X
    Honma TW737 FWc 21° Vizard Type Z 70S
    TaylorMade RSI UDI 3 Mitsu Tensei Pro White 90TX
    Bridgestone J15 CB RAW 4-PW Nippon Modus 120S
    Callaway MackDaddy2 PM-Grind 53°/60° KBS Tour-V
    Odyssey Versa Works 1W Arm-Lock
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Advanced Members Posts: 5,236 ✭✭
    raywutang wrote:

Paul065 wrote:

I'm aware of the speech Rory gave about the ball, I was just speculating that maybe he was quick to blame the 1Vx when if the irons were slightly weaker than he was used to, bearing in mind he was using rifle 7.0 shafts in them, that was attributing to his ball getting knocked out of the sky in the wind.

i guess im not sure how one can quantify that one iron is weaker than the others given that all 3 heads are produced from 1025 carbon steel and under go a very similar if not identical manufacturing process. with all else equal, those irons will perform very close to one another.

Weaker as in loft. It's a silly notion though as Rory's clubs would have been to his exact specs.
  • GolfBum82GolfBum82 Major Winner Advanced Members Posts: 636
    So what is the group consensus on durability of the raw version
  • Derek666Derek666 Advanced Members Posts: 1,482 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Paul065 wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. We play all of our golf at sea level in medium to strong winds so maybe the conditions on the day he tested them was a contributor.

Problem is I'm now edging toward buying them again ��

I play in scotland and have tried the Apex irons into the wind off the North sea and the flight was as strong as anything i've hit before, as far as distances are concerned they are right on the money for me (on GC2-Quad) and i found them no harder to handle than the X Forged. I haven't tried them in raw (*drool*) but i would guess i'd hit the raws further just because i so much want a raw set of blades image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I did try on the same day the cobra MB/CB pros and they were similar in distance and even flight to the Apex irons (Distance is a far second to accuracy for me with Irons but they need to fly too and they are very consistent in length). I had no idea we could get the raw's over here i thought they were tour only and i'd decided on the cobras but now i can get these im prob. going to change my mind dependant on cost as thats a factor for me unfortunately.

C_DkbhXXoAEio__.jpg
  • Derek666Derek666 Advanced Members Posts: 1,482 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Another nice picture as i thought the thread was missing some used Apex Raw eye candy!

I've just checked the callaway site and there's no option to choose the raw finish there image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

DSC_0002p.jpg
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Advanced Members Posts: 2,957 ✭✭
    The raw 2 iron is talking heavily to me as a driving iron. Maybe pair her up with a PXi à la Tiger.
    Callaway GBB Epic Forged 9.5° Diamana BF60S
    TM M2 DF 16.5° Diamana W 80X
    Honma TW737 FWc 21° Vizard Type Z 70S
    TaylorMade RSI UDI 3 Mitsu Tensei Pro White 90TX
    Bridgestone J15 CB RAW 4-PW Nippon Modus 120S
    Callaway MackDaddy2 PM-Grind 53°/60° KBS Tour-V
    Odyssey Versa Works 1W Arm-Lock
  • PontusPontus Members Posts: 38
    Any lefty actually got the Apex MBs in Oil finish? Would love some pictures as evidence!
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan Advanced Members Posts: 752 ✭✭
    So I've had my set of Raw MB's for a little over a month now. Still loving them and they are starting to wear as expected.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]TaylorMade M2 Tensie Pro White 60s[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist TS2 Diamana 70s Blueboard[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Callaway Apex 2019 w/ Elevate Tour[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Vokey SM7 52.12F Raw [/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]TaylorMade 58* Hi-Toe [/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Scotty Cameron MilSpec 33/350[/font]
  • BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Advanced Members Posts: 3,056 ✭✭
    CaseyDan wrote:

So I've had my set of Raw MB's for a little over a month now. Still loving them and they are starting to wear as

Awesome set! Did you strip your vokey too?!
    is anyone using signature anymore?
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan Advanced Members Posts: 752 ✭✭
    BearQ wrote:

CaseyDan wrote:

So I've had my set of Raw MB's for a little over a month now. Still loving them and they are starting to wear as

Awesome set! Did you strip your vokey too?!

I did. I really like the raw look obviously. Really like how they age and it's like they tell a story over time. The Hi-Toe wears incredibly fast which I really like too. For the first time ever I'm not looking to change anything in the bag.
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]TaylorMade M2 Tensie Pro White 60s[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist TS2 Diamana 70s Blueboard[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Callaway Apex 2019 w/ Elevate Tour[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Vokey SM7 52.12F Raw [/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]TaylorMade 58* Hi-Toe [/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Scotty Cameron MilSpec 33/350[/font]
  • IncredibleCinderellaStoryIncredibleCinderellaStory Members Posts: 46 ✭✭
    chipaudio wrote:

Is there a WRX member in Europe who would take this on? Please message me and I would love to work something out.

I can put you touch with a UK based retailer that will ship overseas if you still want the raw apex irons. The irons can be custom made to your specs too so you get exactly what you require. Let me know if you want more info.
    Taylormade M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei Blue CK 70 X
    Titleist 917F2 16.5 Fujikura ZCom Pro95 BT-30 X
    Taylormade M1 Rescue 19 Fujikura Speeder X
    Callaway Legacy Black (Stenson Model) 4-PW Project X PXi 6.0
    Vokey SM6 Black 50, 54 & 58 DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Circle T 34"
  • thekangathekanga Advanced Members Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Had mine for 2 1/2 months, probably 6~7 rounds in that time frame.

IMG_20180413_085329.jpg
  • PlayfromtheBrainPlayfromtheBrain Advanced Members Posts: 145 ✭✭
    One day when I see someone selling these rusted to **** on BST for $175 I'm going to wish I'd just bought them myself new.
  • Mark_CrossanMark_Crossan Advanced Members Posts: 277 ✭✭
    Does anyone know the tip size for these?

Callaway Aus wouldn't let me order these with c-tapers but would let me order the chrome with c-tapers. Anyone any ideas why?

I thought tip size may have been the issue but I'd be surprised if these irons were .370 tips.

Anyone any ideas?
  • outgolfingoutgolfing Advanced Members Posts: 824 ✭✭
    .355t
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 w/ tour 65s
    Callaway Rogue 3 wood w/ Evenflow 70-S

Ping G410 Crossover 3 w/ tour 85s
    Epon AF-302 4-PW w/ Modus 125
    Titleist Vokey WW SM7 raw 50F, 54S, 60D
    Ping Karsten TR Zing
  • KPH808KPH808 Participation Trophy ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 2,633 ClubWRX
    How is the feel vs the standard chrome version?
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=times new roman,times,serif]Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
    TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
    TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
    Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
    Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
    Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M
    [/font]
    [/font]
    Another question, say If they got really rusty and you didn't like them as much, could you get them refinished in a satin finish for example? Would this be possible
  • Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 3,523 ClubWRX

Another question, say If they got really rusty and you didn't like them as much, could you get them refinished in a satin finish for example? Would this be possible

Just take some barkeepers friend and clean them up to be rust free again - takes 5 min/club.

I'd sell them for $1200+ and just buy a chrome set before you attempt to put a new finish on the raw ones you have.
    ‘16 Taylormade M2 Tour Issue 8.5° w/ KuroKage Dual Core XT 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • thegoombathegoomba Advanced Members Posts: 491 ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Could go this route, were chrome.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 3,523 ClubWRX
    Wow sharp black MB's!

How will it wear?

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Advanced Members Posts: 5,236 ✭✭
    thegoomba wrote:

Could go this route, were chrome.

Looks great. I hope that coating is tough because that Florida sand is tough on any finish.
    Going to list my Apex MB Raw irons - pm me if interested.

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
    Done in nitride finish, so far they wipe down like new.
    edited June 2018
    They look really cool. How expensive was that?

Any picture after you've hit them so we can see how the finish holds up?

I've got a set of Raw MB's at home waiting for me in Adelaide. I'm working in Queensland to get my second year visa here in Australia and I'm desperate to get back and hit my mbs 😢
    I'll take some pictures later, after 3 rounds and about 10 trips to the driving range hitting those crappy balls...40 dollars per club includes the build, swing weight loft and lie adjustment and spine aligned shafts.
    Not much wear.
  • D.FrankensteinD.Frankenstein Members Posts: 9
    Recently got my hands on an unused 4-PW set. 4-8 irons are Heavy Heads.

If anyone is interested, PM me.
  • wilymowilymo GAAdvanced Members Posts: 237 ✭✭
    If every so often you CLR the rust off, will you eventually start messing with the head weights?
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Advanced Members Posts: 4,638
    I know where there’s a set of lefty 4-PW & gap for sale...
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • CTCCTC Members Posts: 65
    All of the pictures posted in this thread show a version of the clubs that has the "APEX MB" stamping in all white, whereas the callaway website shows the "oil" finish having the "MB" stamping in black letters. Does anyone care to explain?
  • outgolfingoutgolfing Advanced Members Posts: 824 ✭✭
    I almost sold my set but had a moment of clarity at the last minute. Took them to the range and put them up against my AP2’s. They shined and will be going back in the bag, minus the 4 iron which will be replaced by my 718 t-mb.
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 w/ tour 65s
    Callaway Rogue 3 wood w/ Evenflow 70-S

Ping G410 Crossover 3 w/ tour 85s
    Epon AF-302 4-PW w/ Modus 125
    Titleist Vokey WW SM7 raw 50F, 54S, 60D
    Ping Karsten TR Zing
  • tdk8180tdk8180 Advanced Members Posts: 2,392
    edited November 2018
    CTC wrote:

All of the pictures posted in this thread show a version of the clubs that has the "APEX MB" stamping in all white, whereas the callaway website shows the "oil" finish having the "MB" stamping in black letters. Does anyone care to explain?

Mine have white lettering in the Callaway golf logo and the Apex. The MB is a gray color.

I dont know why they chose black for the MB for the stock photo.
  • collje26collje26 Advanced Members Posts: 516 ✭✭
    Does anyone have a set available for sale?
    Ping G400 Max 9 Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Blue 80tx
    Ping G 17.5 Rombax P95x
    Callaway Apex Pro Smoke 3 DG TI S400
    Callaway Apex MB Raw 4-P Modus 3 120tx
    Callaway MD Forged 54/60 Modus 3 120tx
    Ping 1966 Anser WRX tri-sole
    ProV1/X, TP5X
    Ping G 17.5 Rombax P95x
    ProV1/X, TP5X
  • cforseliuscforselius Advanced Members Posts: 310 ✭✭
    collje26 wrote:

If you are buying from the UK you should use scottsdalegolf.co.uk. They offer taxfree shopping on international orders and are superb to do business with. And they have the Apex MB raw. I dont want to make commerical for them but I have bought form them alot of times and no problems what so ever.
  • bjno1300bjno1300 Advanced Members Posts: 731 ✭✭
    Is there anywhere to get a lefty set of these anymore?
    bjno1300 wrote:

Is there anywhere to get a lefty set of these anymore?

If you click on the link provided above it shows it's still available.
    Ping G 17.5 Rombax P95x
    ProV1/X, TP5X
2»