Masters tips?

Comments

• Sean2Sean2  32089WRX Points: 1,874Members Posts: 32,089 Titanium Tees

Here's the new shopping palace at Augusta National this year.

https://www.golfdige...ugusta-national

masters-merchandise-main-area-open.jpg

I saw that and was amazed at the size of the place.
    Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SD 1908WRX Points: 453Handicap: 7.3ClubWRX Posts: 1,908 ClubWRX
    jrsharp21 wrote:

Anyone have a suggestion on a backpack to bring into Augusta National? Looks like bags max size is 10x10x12. Going to head out today and try to find something that I can use to carry around sunscreen, binoculars, and empty Masters cups.

They have small, nice drawstring/nylon backpacks and they also have a regular backpack for sale at the merch buildings. When I went in 2016 they were both very nice.
    Posted:

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus Christi 912WRX Points: 206Handicap: 9.3Members Posts: 912 Golden Tee
    I know the dress code only says “appropriate attire” must be worn at all times. My girlfriend has her outfit all planned out for Tuesday’s practice round and she is wearing jeans. Nice, dark brand new jeans. Does anybody know if this is a no no? I can find nothing that says NO jeans, but can also not remember seeing anybody in jeans?!? Any input is much appreciated.
    Posted:
    Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • double or triple?double or triple?  2016WRX Points: 127Members Posts: 2,016 Platinum Tees
    Anyone know best manner to see about trading tickets for one day for another? I have tickets for Wednesday but thinking about trying to go Tuesday instead so I can catch an earlier flight home this week.
    Posted:
  • ctimectime  352WRX Points: 108Members Posts: 352 Greens
    I have practice round tickets for Tuesday for the first time and all these tips have been great. One thing I didn't see(or missed somehow) is how early to arrive. I know the gates are listed to open at 8am but what time should we really try to arrive in the parking lot. Is 7am a good time?
    Posted:
  • Joebirds55Joebirds55  1101WRX Points: 103Handicap: 15Members Posts: 1,101 Platinum Tees

Anyone know best manner to see about trading tickets for one day for another? I have tickets for Wednesday but thinking about trying to go Tuesday instead so I can catch an earlier flight home this week.

Might not be easy for you with the current weather forecast.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • deasy55deasy55  4896WRX Points: 114Members Posts: 4,896 Titanium Tees
    I entered this thread on the assumption it was going to be a gambling thread. I am now leaving disappointed and unfulfilled.
    Posted:
  • Glaze22Glaze22 FORE!!!!  763WRX Points: 84Members Posts: 763 Golden Tee
    ctime wrote:

I have practice round tickets for Tuesday for the first time and all these tips have been great. One thing I didn't see(or missed somehow) is how early to arrive. I know the gates are listed to open at 8am but what time should we really try to arrive in the parking lot. Is 7am a good time?

Yes, that is a great time. I got there last year at that time and walked right in.
    Posted:
  • mattw387mattw387  201WRX Points: 68Members Posts: 201 Fairways
    Here's to better weather on Wednesday. My brother and I are taking my grandfather (who started teaching us the game of golf as soon as we could stand) for his first Masters and we're concerned about the pending storms..

Hope everyone attending has a wonderful experience and PLEASE do a little weather dance for those of us with tickets for Wednesday... Safe travels to all - HAPPY MASTERS WEEK!!!
    Posted:
  • jrsharp21jrsharp21  1651WRX Points: 113Members Posts: 1,651 Platinum Tees
    ddetts wrote:

jrsharp21 wrote:

Anyone have a suggestion on a backpack to bring into Augusta National? Looks like bags max size is 10x10x12. Going to head out today and try to find something that I can use to carry around sunscreen, binoculars, and empty Masters cups.

They have small, nice drawstring/nylon backpacks and they also have a regular backpack for sale at the merch buildings. When I went in 2016 they were both very nice.

I am sure those come with a premium price also. I actually found two backpacks on Amazon that were under the 10x10x12 limit. Each were only 8 dollars.
    Posted:
  • rsd1244rsd1244  82WRX Points: 0Handicap: 8Members Posts: 82
    I just wish I had to chance to see this place in person!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • jasonfish11jasonfish11  430WRX Points: 49Handicap: 10Members Posts: 430 Greens

imakaveli wrote:

To all who posted such great input: really, thanks a lot. We're on a plane tomorrow 0-dark-thirty. I copied most of the posts where someone added his experience and printed it. 6 page word doc! Nice.

I hope somehow I run into a few of you wrx'ers there. We'll be all over the place, it looks like.

Cheers,

Chuck

Pick a pine cone as a souvenir! I did.

I saw that. Then there was the guy who got rained out and msde tent closed so he took a rock from the parking lot. I like the pine cone idea better..

I resemble that...

And getting rained out still makes me sad. Good weather to you.
    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20332WRX Points: 4,284ClubWRX Posts: 20,332 ClubWRX
    ctime wrote:

Should have no trouble at all.
    Posted:
  • boothbymboothbym  182WRX Points: 67Members Posts: 182 Fairways
    jrsharp21 wrote:
    ddetts wrote:

jrsharp21 wrote:

I am sure those come with a premium price also. I actually found two backpacks on Amazon that were under the 10x10x12 limit. Each were only 8 dollars.

I went today and they are pretty lax on bag size. I saw people with full backpacks get in. I had a standard size drawstring bag I wasn't too worried if I had to toss if they said it was too big and they let it thru no prob
    Posted:
  • Pert1862Pert1862 Jersey 2843WRX Points: 194Members Posts: 2,843 Titanium Tees
    ctime wrote:

We went today. Got in the lot at 630. They opened the first set of gates at 7 and we bought our merchandise than sat at one of the tables outside of the concession stands and had breakfast. The course dosent open till 8.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910D2 12*
    Titleist 913F 15*
    Adams Super LS Idea 19*
    G10 21*
    G10 28*
    Ping G, 7 - U
    Ping Gorge 56*
    Scotty Select Newport Notchback
    Srixon Z-Star
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los Angeles 6007WRX Points: 693Members Posts: 6,007 Titanium Tees
    We went today. I printed 6 pages of feedback and shared with fam who also went. Will post details tomorrow. But a couple of quick things now.

I walked it back to front (18 to 1) then front to back (1 to 18). It’s just better than I imagined. I never wanted to play a course as I wanted to play this one.

I saw Patrick Reed hit a second drive from his knees on maybe # 9. Hit it almost as far as first drive. Everyone on the property seemed like they were in a great mood.

Guys hit skipping shots over the pond at 16. This got roars from the large crowd all day that you could hear from everywhere. I can’t imagine what the roar sounded like when Tigers putt fell in or Nicklaus made birdie in ‘86.

The marshal who protected Bubbas ball on 10 in the playoff showed us the spot, told the story. Said one or two trees were lost in ice storm and the shot now doesn’t look daunting.

Thx again for all the tips. I really used them. Now having waked 36+ I am beat.
    Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
    Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

Advertisement
  • MSUIRONDAWGSMSUIRONDAWGS  748WRX Points: 86Members Posts: 748 Bunkers
    CCTxGolf wrote:

I know the dress code only says "appropriate attire" must be worn at all times. My girlfriend has her outfit all planned out for Tuesday's practice round and she is wearing jeans. Nice, dark brand new jeans. Does anybody know if this is a no no? I can find nothing that says NO jeans, but can also not remember seeing anybody in jeans?!? Any input is much appreciated.

I saw several girls wearing jeans today. Trust me, I saw several outfits that would be wayyy worse than what you state above my man.
    Posted:

We went today. I printed 6 pages of feedback and shared with fam who also went. Will post details tomorrow. But a couple of quick things now.

I walked it back to front (18 to 1) then front to back (1 to 18). It’s just better than I imagined. I never wanted to play a course as I wanted to play this one.

I saw Patrick Reed hit a second drive from his knees on maybe # 9. Hit it almost as far as first drive. Everyone on the property seemed like they were in a great mood.

Guys hit skipping shots over the pond at 16. This got roars from the large crowd all day that you could hear from everywhere. I can’t imagine what the roar sounded like when Tigers putt fell in or Nicklaus made birdie in ‘86.

The marshal who protected Bubbas ball on 10 in the playoff showed us the spot, told the story. Said one or two trees were lost in ice storm and the shot now doesn’t look daunting.

Thx again for all the tips. I really used them. Now having waked 36+ I am beat.

LOL, Im with you man. Most people that have never been there, have no idea how hilly that place is. I'm exhausted also.
    Posted:
    Pert1862 wrote:

ctime wrote:

We went today. Got in the lot at 630. They opened the first set of gates at 7 and we bought our merchandise than sat at one of the tables outside of the concession stands and had breakfast. The course dosent open till 8.

Because of traffic on Washington, we didnt make it to the parking lots until 8:15. Needless to say, we were WAY back and walked for a while to make it to the front gate by the range.
    Posted:
  • double or triple?double or triple?  2016WRX Points: 127Members Posts: 2,016 Platinum Tees
    Any one have advice for best spot to park for first timers?
    Posted:
  • bbslurp413bbslurp413  449WRX Points: 76Members Posts: 449 Greens

I’ve been three times now and always Park in the south lot. You walk in and the gift shop is right there and then you walk into the course right by 13 green. Pretty surreal way to start your Masters experience
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus Christi 912WRX Points: 206Handicap: 9.3Members Posts: 912 Golden Tee

CCTxGolf wrote:

I know the dress code only says "appropriate attire" must be worn at all times. My girlfriend has her outfit all planned out for Tuesday's practice round and she is wearing jeans. Nice, dark brand new jeans. Does anybody know if this is a no no? I can find nothing that says NO jeans, but can also not remember seeing anybody in jeans?!? Any input is much appreciated.

I saw several girls wearing jeans today. Trust me, I saw several outfits that would be wayyy worse than what you state above my man.

Appreciate it!
    Posted:
    Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • fairways4lifefairways4life  1556WRX Points: 63Members Posts: 1,556 Platinum Tees

Just don't fall for all the people advertising $20 parking on their lawn or in the parking lot of their business. Just keep on driving. Free parking for all right near the gate. Basically just follow the other 10,000 cars
    Posted:
  • jwc9pjwc9p  148WRX Points: 62Members Posts: 148 Fairways
    Pert1862 wrote:

ctime wrote:

Did you go to the regular merch center (the new grand Taj Mahal to all things Masters) between 7 and 8 or the other one?
    Posted:
  • ousuxndallasousuxndallas DFW 127WRX Points: 51Handicap: 7Members Posts: 127 Fairways
    All of the advice to shop early was 100% wrong. At 8:00 a.m. there was a 30 minute wait to get in, and wall to wall people inside the merch building.

At 5:30 in the afternoon, the same merch building was empty. Much easier shopping in the afternoon.
    Posted:
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ajkim220ajkim220  15WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 15 Bunkers
    I WON THE LOTTERY FOR SUNDAY. I CANT FREAKING WAIT.

I read every single one of these posts. Thanks for the insight all!
    Posted:
  • CEPickCEPick  1784WRX Points: 134Members Posts: 1,784 Platinum Tees

All of the advice to shop early was 100% wrong. At 8:00 a.m. there was a 30 minute wait to get in, and wall to wall people inside the merch building.

At 5:30 in the afternoon, the same merch building was empty. Much easier shopping in the afternoon.

Sorry free advice on the internet wasn't to your liking.
    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20332WRX Points: 4,284ClubWRX Posts: 20,332 ClubWRX

Not everyone said shop early. ;-)
    Posted:

Advertisement
    So for those at park in the South Gate areA, where you able to purchase merchandise near there?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.