Masters tips?

Comments

• Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭

Here's the new shopping palace at Augusta National this year.

https://www.golfdige...ugusta-national

masters-merchandise-main-area-open.jpg

I saw that and was amazed at the size of the place.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,515 ClubWRX
    jrsharp21 wrote:

Anyone have a suggestion on a backpack to bring into Augusta National? Looks like bags max size is 10x10x12. Going to head out today and try to find something that I can use to carry around sunscreen, binoculars, and empty Masters cups.

They have small, nice drawstring/nylon backpacks and they also have a regular backpack for sale at the merch buildings. When I went in 2016 they were both very nice.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiMembers Posts: 791 ✭✭
    I know the dress code only says “appropriate attire” must be worn at all times. My girlfriend has her outfit all planned out for Tuesday’s practice round and she is wearing jeans. Nice, dark brand new jeans. Does anybody know if this is a no no? I can find nothing that says NO jeans, but can also not remember seeing anybody in jeans?!? Any input is much appreciated.
    Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • double or triple?double or triple? Members Posts: 1,971 ✭✭
    Anyone know best manner to see about trading tickets for one day for another? I have tickets for Wednesday but thinking about trying to go Tuesday instead so I can catch an earlier flight home this week.
  • ctimectime Members Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I have practice round tickets for Tuesday for the first time and all these tips have been great. One thing I didn't see(or missed somehow) is how early to arrive. I know the gates are listed to open at 8am but what time should we really try to arrive in the parking lot. Is 7am a good time?
  • Joebirds55Joebirds55 Members Posts: 1,101 ✭✭

Anyone know best manner to see about trading tickets for one day for another? I have tickets for Wednesday but thinking about trying to go Tuesday instead so I can catch an earlier flight home this week.

Might not be easy for you with the current weather forecast.
  • deasy55deasy55 Members Posts: 4,895 ✭✭
    I entered this thread on the assumption it was going to be a gambling thread. I am now leaving disappointed and unfulfilled.
  • Glaze22Glaze22 FORE!!!! Members Posts: 758 ✭✭
    ctime wrote:

I have practice round tickets for Tuesday for the first time and all these tips have been great. One thing I didn't see(or missed somehow) is how early to arrive. I know the gates are listed to open at 8am but what time should we really try to arrive in the parking lot. Is 7am a good time?

Yes, that is a great time. I got there last year at that time and walked right in.
  • mattw387mattw387 Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Here's to better weather on Wednesday. My brother and I are taking my grandfather (who started teaching us the game of golf as soon as we could stand) for his first Masters and we're concerned about the pending storms..

Hope everyone attending has a wonderful experience and PLEASE do a little weather dance for those of us with tickets for Wednesday... Safe travels to all - HAPPY MASTERS WEEK!!!
  • jrsharp21jrsharp21 Members Posts: 1,650 ✭✭
    ddetts wrote:

jrsharp21 wrote:

Anyone have a suggestion on a backpack to bring into Augusta National? Looks like bags max size is 10x10x12. Going to head out today and try to find something that I can use to carry around sunscreen, binoculars, and empty Masters cups.

They have small, nice drawstring/nylon backpacks and they also have a regular backpack for sale at the merch buildings. When I went in 2016 they were both very nice.

I am sure those come with a premium price also. I actually found two backpacks on Amazon that were under the 10x10x12 limit. Each were only 8 dollars.
  • rsd1244rsd1244 Members Posts: 82
    I just wish I had to chance to see this place in person!
  • jasonfish11jasonfish11 Members Posts: 429 ✭✭

imakaveli wrote:

To all who posted such great input: really, thanks a lot. We're on a plane tomorrow 0-dark-thirty. I copied most of the posts where someone added his experience and printed it. 6 page word doc! Nice.

I hope somehow I run into a few of you wrx'ers there. We'll be all over the place, it looks like.

Cheers,

Chuck

Pick a pine cone as a souvenir! I did.

I saw that. Then there was the guy who got rained out and msde tent closed so he took a rock from the parking lot. I like the pine cone idea better..

I resemble that...

And getting rained out still makes me sad. Good weather to you.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,714 ClubWRX
    ctime wrote:

Should have no trouble at all.
  • boothbymboothbym Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    jrsharp21 wrote:
    ddetts wrote:

jrsharp21 wrote:

I am sure those come with a premium price also. I actually found two backpacks on Amazon that were under the 10x10x12 limit. Each were only 8 dollars.

I went today and they are pretty lax on bag size. I saw people with full backpacks get in. I had a standard size drawstring bag I wasn't too worried if I had to toss if they said it was too big and they let it thru no prob
  • Pert1862Pert1862 JerseyMembers Posts: 2,829 ✭✭
    ctime wrote:

We went today. Got in the lot at 630. They opened the first set of gates at 7 and we bought our merchandise than sat at one of the tables outside of the concession stands and had breakfast. The course dosent open till 8.
    Callaway Razr Fit - 12* - Aldila RIP Phenom
    Adams Speedline 5
    G10 21*
    G10 28*
    Ping G, 7 - U
    Ping Gorge 56*
    Scotty Select Newport 
    Srixon Q-Star / Z-Star
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Members Posts: 5,704 ✭✭
    We went today. I printed 6 pages of feedback and shared with fam who also went. Will post details tomorrow. But a couple of quick things now.

I walked it back to front (18 to 1) then front to back (1 to 18). It’s just better than I imagined. I never wanted to play a course as I wanted to play this one.

I saw Patrick Reed hit a second drive from his knees on maybe # 9. Hit it almost as far as first drive. Everyone on the property seemed like they were in a great mood.

Guys hit skipping shots over the pond at 16. This got roars from the large crowd all day that you could hear from everywhere. I can’t imagine what the roar sounded like when Tigers putt fell in or Nicklaus made birdie in ‘86.

The marshal who protected Bubbas ball on 10 in the playoff showed us the spot, told the story. Said one or two trees were lost in ice storm and the shot now doesn’t look daunting.

Thx again for all the tips. I really used them. Now having waked 36+ I am beat.
    Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway X-hot 3,4 h
    Mizuno FliHi 5 iron
    Mizuno MP4 6-W
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• MSUIRONDAWGSMSUIRONDAWGS Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    CCTxGolf wrote:

I know the dress code only says "appropriate attire" must be worn at all times. My girlfriend has her outfit all planned out for Tuesday's practice round and she is wearing jeans. Nice, dark brand new jeans. Does anybody know if this is a no no? I can find nothing that says NO jeans, but can also not remember seeing anybody in jeans?!? Any input is much appreciated.

I saw several girls wearing jeans today. Trust me, I saw several outfits that would be wayyy worse than what you state above my man.

We went today. I printed 6 pages of feedback and shared with fam who also went. Will post details tomorrow. But a couple of quick things now.

I walked it back to front (18 to 1) then front to back (1 to 18). It’s just better than I imagined. I never wanted to play a course as I wanted to play this one.

I saw Patrick Reed hit a second drive from his knees on maybe # 9. Hit it almost as far as first drive. Everyone on the property seemed like they were in a great mood.

Guys hit skipping shots over the pond at 16. This got roars from the large crowd all day that you could hear from everywhere. I can’t imagine what the roar sounded like when Tigers putt fell in or Nicklaus made birdie in ‘86.

The marshal who protected Bubbas ball on 10 in the playoff showed us the spot, told the story. Said one or two trees were lost in ice storm and the shot now doesn’t look daunting.

Thx again for all the tips. I really used them. Now having waked 36+ I am beat.

LOL, Im with you man. Most people that have never been there, have no idea how hilly that place is. I'm exhausted also.
    Pert1862 wrote:

ctime wrote:

We went today. Got in the lot at 630. They opened the first set of gates at 7 and we bought our merchandise than sat at one of the tables outside of the concession stands and had breakfast. The course dosent open till 8.

Because of traffic on Washington, we didnt make it to the parking lots until 8:15. Needless to say, we were WAY back and walked for a while to make it to the front gate by the range.
    Any one have advice for best spot to park for first timers?
  • bbslurp413bbslurp413 Members Posts: 441 ✭✭

I’ve been three times now and always Park in the south lot. You walk in and the gift shop is right there and then you walk into the course right by 13 green. Pretty surreal way to start your Masters experience
  • CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiMembers Posts: 791 ✭✭

CCTxGolf wrote:

I know the dress code only says "appropriate attire" must be worn at all times. My girlfriend has her outfit all planned out for Tuesday's practice round and she is wearing jeans. Nice, dark brand new jeans. Does anybody know if this is a no no? I can find nothing that says NO jeans, but can also not remember seeing anybody in jeans?!? Any input is much appreciated.

I saw several girls wearing jeans today. Trust me, I saw several outfits that would be wayyy worse than what you state above my man.

Appreciate it!
    Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • fairways4lifefairways4life Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭

Just don't fall for all the people advertising $20 parking on their lawn or in the parking lot of their business. Just keep on driving. Free parking for all right near the gate. Basically just follow the other 10,000 cars
  • jwc9pjwc9p Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Pert1862 wrote:

ctime wrote:

Did you go to the regular merch center (the new grand Taj Mahal to all things Masters) between 7 and 8 or the other one?
  • ousuxndallasousuxndallas DFWMembers Posts: 93 ✭✭
    All of the advice to shop early was 100% wrong. At 8:00 a.m. there was a 30 minute wait to get in, and wall to wall people inside the merch building.

At 5:30 in the afternoon, the same merch building was empty. Much easier shopping in the afternoon.
  • ajkim220ajkim220 Members Posts: 14
    I WON THE LOTTERY FOR SUNDAY. I CANT FREAKING WAIT.

I read every single one of these posts. Thanks for the insight all!
  • CEPickCEPick Members Posts: 1,780 ✭✭

All of the advice to shop early was 100% wrong. At 8:00 a.m. there was a 30 minute wait to get in, and wall to wall people inside the merch building.

At 5:30 in the afternoon, the same merch building was empty. Much easier shopping in the afternoon.

Sorry free advice on the internet wasn't to your liking.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,714 ClubWRX

Not everyone said shop early. ;-)
    So for those at park in the South Gate areA, where you able to purchase merchandise near there?