Best Rain gear

chbrake

My rain gear starts and stops with the Sunice Gortex.

MEN'S APOLLO GORE-TEX WATERPROOF PERFORMANCE JACKET. I have this model and it’s predecessor the Ultimate V7.

Expensive but they are great. They have a lining so you don’t feel like you’re wearing a wet suit.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Sunice is my go to for foul weather. I have Nike StormFit too, but it is only good for light rain.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I have had experience with FJ and Zero Restriction. I prefer Zero Restriction due to the durability and features [waterproof, windproof, breathable and fitting adjustability]. I would also consider Sunice and Sun Mountain.

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD PGI; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; :mizuno-small: S23, :kbs: 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, :kbs: One Step, :garsen: Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small:XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; :cobra-small:-Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

The reason I went with the Sunice was that I could wear them without having to use a base layer. A lot of the stuff out there has no lining and wearing it for any period of time without a layer was very sweaty and sticky. Plus they seemed to fit a little better across the shoulders when compared to the FJ stuff. And isn’t a slim fit compared to some of the European styled stuff.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I got to admit, I am not too keen on my Goretex paclite jackets(ZR - golf, TNF - casual wear). They don't seem to stand up to being out in the rain for a good length of time. My Nike Stormfit rain pants have held up very well. And, I have pair of ZR Goretex PacLite Featherweight pants, but, they haven't really been tested.

The Proquip PX5 stuff sounds awesome, but, I found some Ping Tour Eye rain gear(Pertex) on sale. I haven't tested the Ping stuff yet, but, Tour Eye rain pants are a little slimmer vs my other rain pants, and, it comes in different lengths(I got a pair with a 29 inseam, but, it might be an inch short depending on the shoes I am wearing. It might be ok, if I unzip the bottom an inch to reduce the break, which, might allow it to drape pass the collars of my shoes, otherwise, the bottom of the cuffs are very close. I don't like my rain pants too long, as, moisture will wick up the cuffs, but, ymmv. ( One detail to add for the Ping TE rain pants - a waterproof fly, a detail lacking in my old Dryjoy rain pants, usually, not an issue, but, it has happened to me before)

Jackets:

I have experience with the ZR stealth jacket and it is excellent. Fully waterproof and keeps you warm. I played in a deluge the other day and was very dry. All rain gear restricts a little bit but this baby is solid. Only downside is that its heavier - so not ideal for the warm down pours you get on the course in certain areas.

The GG paclite jacket is a new addition and i carry that in the bag under warmer conditions. It is also really good.

Pants:

Got the GG Alf pant last year. GG pants are by far the best. The reason is that you can order them in multiple pant lengths (29 - 33) so you will get a pant that fits you. Again this baby is fully waterproof and will keep you warm but also breaths quite nicely. This pant is on sale now on golfposer and its a steal.

The wifey got me the ProQuip PX5 suit for Christmas. With a central Wisconsin golf trip in the works, I'm a happy camper. c863b685dd9772c43c28defefcb3364d.jpg

the corp. that manages the property I work at gave all the greens crew a set of PX 5's. Man these are comfortable. I used to sweat like a beaver in heat Sunice, but these keep me warm/cool/dry/happy.......

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

The wifey got me the ProQuip PX5 suit for Christmas. With a central Wisconsin golf trip in the works, I'm a happy camper. c863b685dd9772c43c28defefcb3364d.jpg

the corp. that manages the property I work at gave all the greens crew a set of PX 5's. Man these are comfortable. I used to sweat like a beaver in heat Sunice, but these keep me warm/cool/dry/happy.......
great to hear! My only complaint is the pants are a bit long. I ordered the 33 inseam like I would in jeans, and they have a pretty big break. I guess that's better than being short, so they'll cover my shoes.

For those that got the proquip px5 did you need to size up? I’m an XL in most everything, can even get away with a large with some larger cut companies like FJ. But have to go up to XXL with most European brands.

I can't speak for anyone else but I wear a Medium in everything other than Footjoy, where I typically have to go down to a small. I ordered Medium in the PX5 and the jacket fit perfectly. The waist of the pants did too. The length is just lime everyone said above -- it is about 1 imch longer than the 29" inseam I ordered. Galvin Green is the only Euro brand I've found that I have to order UP. But, that's just my experience.

BTW, LOVE this suit. Have worn it in a tournament in a downpour and stayed completely dry, and have used it as an outer layer in 33 degree F temps and it provided a good toasty feeling (along with my other layers). I like it much more than the 2 Galvin Green unlined suits I have.

I will play in the rain, so waterproof gear is important to me. It's not a matter of getting caught in the rain and throwing on a jacket and trousers, I will go to the first tee while it's raining and knowing it might rain the entire round. I usually have the course to myself. lol

The Footjoy Tour XP products just don't work that well...and the "waterproof" guarantee is 2 years. Which has since expired, so if it's raining I WILL get wet.

I just purchased the Galvin Green Achilles jacket, and ProQuip StormForce PX5 trousers.

I ordered the GG one size larger, and it fits perfectly. I ordered the ProQuip same size, but with a 35-inch inseam.

Both items were on sale at a very nice price. I have been waiting almost two years to find these at a price I was willing to pay. lol

You’re right that the Dryjoy Tour XP rain gear doesn’t work that well. I remember last year I went to play golf in a league with my buddies. I set my Titleist bag loaded with all Titleist clubs down and went in the pro shop wearing my Icon Blacks. It started to drizzle so I went out to my bag and got my ZR jacket and ZR rain hat. Just so happened the Titleist rep was in the shop. He asked me why I didn’t have the Dryjoy rain gear to go with everything else. I told him point blank I only wear gear that works and that means Goretex. Since there were a few others in the shop he defended his product saying it was just as good as Goretex. I’ve played golf for over 50 years and in that time I’ve learned what works and what doesn’t. Finally he took my name and address and sent me a Dryjoy Tour XP suit for free. It was a nice gesture but compared to my Zero Restriction gear it’s thicker, heavier, noisier, less flexible, less adjustable, and is less rainproof. No contest.

You're right that the Dryjoy Tour XP rain gear doesn't work that well. I remember last year I went to play golf in a league with my buddies. I set my Titleist bag loaded with all Titleist clubs down and went in the pro shop wearing my Icon Blacks. It started to drizzle so I went out to my bag and got my ZR jacket and ZR rain hat. Just so happened the Titleist rep was in the shop. He asked me why I didn't have the Dryjoy rain gear to go with everything else. I told him point blank I only wear gear that works and that means Goretex. Since there were a few others in the shop he defended his product saying it was just as good as Goretex. I've played golf for over 50 years and in that time I've learned what works and what doesn't. Finally he took my name and address and sent me a Dryjoy Tour XP suit for free. It was a nice gesture but compared to my Zero Restriction gear it's thicker, heavier, noisier, less flexible, less adjustable, and is less rainproof. No contest.

I was talking about this with a friend the other day. I was trying to understand what the point is of manufacturing rain gear that isn't waterproof. A two year waterproof guarantee? What good is that? After two years you have to go out and purchase another set. Maybe that's the idea. lol

Yes, GG, PQ, ZR is expensive, but it does what it is supposed to do...keep you dry. And, if you are patient, you will eventually find a good price.

You're right that the Dryjoy Tour XP rain gear doesn't work that well. I remember last year I went to play golf in a league with my buddies. I set my Titleist bag loaded with all Titleist clubs down and went in the pro shop wearing my Icon Blacks. It started to drizzle so I went out to my bag and got my ZR jacket and ZR rain hat. Just so happened the Titleist rep was in the shop. He asked me why I didn't have the Dryjoy rain gear to go with everything else. I told him point blank I only wear gear that works and that means Goretex. Since there were a few others in the shop he defended his product saying it was just as good as Goretex. I've played golf for over 50 years and in that time I've learned what works and what doesn't. Finally he took my name and address and sent me a Dryjoy Tour XP suit for free. It was a nice gesture but compared to my Zero Restriction gear it's thicker, heavier, noisier, less flexible, less adjustable, and is less rainproof. No contest.

I was talking about this with a friend the other day. I was trying to understand what the point is of manufacturing rain gear that isn't waterproof. A two year waterproof guarantee? What good is that? After two years you have to go out and purchase another set. Maybe that's the idea. lol

Yes, GG, PQ, ZR is expensive, but it does what it is supposed to do...keep you dry. And, if you are patient, you will eventually find a good price.

Bingo. I have several Goretex rain suits and all (obviously) work great. My first Goretex suit was a McGregor Tourney which I bought over 25 years ago and still keeps me dry despite looking a bit tired. Surprisingly I paid less for them than the Dryjoy stuff sells for (since Footjoy price protects their merchandise). Just shop around (TGW, Carls Golfland, Amazon, Rock Bottom Golf, Ebay, etc.) and deals are out there. I paid $99 for my last Goretex jacket last November (Zero Restriction Stealth) from TGW which included shipping.

function18.com is running a huge sale on Galvin Green. Passing this along. I've bought from US re sellers before but these prices are absurdly low and don't think anyone can come close! They even include free shipping and no tax!

https://www.function18.com/on-sale/shopby/brand-galvin_green.html?dir=desc&order=date_created

Out of all these items, are any of them form fitting? like not as baggy as traditional rain layers, but obviously not restricting swing. I'm looking for some slimmer fitting rain pant that don't look like you're wearing a bag of nylon around your legs. I have the Nike Hyperadapt pants (grey and black), while they are nice, i still feel they are a little baggy. I was looking at JLindeberg rain pants and might be the one but only comes in black. Any recommendations for a slimmer fitting rain pant with multi colors is welcome. (not skin tight / skinny jeans, but not baggy like most rain pants). Thanks!

I like Sunice. The fit is fitted without being to snug. I got mine for a great deal from Golf Anything last year.

Titliest Tsr3 9* Hazardous Black 6.5 gen 4

Nike SQ2 19* Hybrid Aldila VS Proto 95s 

Mizzy MP18 SC 4-6 MB 7-PW C-Taper S

Vokey SM9 50/08, 54/10, 58/08  s400

Scotty T22 Fastback 1.5 ,+ ,+ ,+ ,+