Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Best Rain gear

Comments

• dixonterp10dixonterp10 Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

@Minarets said:
    Is it reasonably priced? Always thought it was expensive.

Yeah, everything is half off right now $80-$160 for a jacket.

• C-radC-rad Members Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dixonterp10 said:

@Minarets said:

I was going to order one but i am sure the return cost is expensive. Are they made smaller than others like footjoy? I need something slim fit... ish.

Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag
  • dixonterp10dixonterp10 Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

@C-rad said:

@dixonterp10 said:

@Minarets said:

I was going to order one but i am sure the return cost is expensive. Are they made smaller than others like footjoy? I need something slim fit... ish.

I am not sure. Never worn before, I was looking for feedback too.

• soonernicksoonernick Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

I bought one of the 20k Cross Sportswear jackets for a Scotland trip this summer and an upcoming Bandon trip. I'll try and give you all more of a rundown tomorrow (gotta put kid to bed and do work stuff), because the lack of info from American buyers of Cross products was a big hesitation for me and I'd like to be as helpful as many on here have been for me... anyway, some quick hits until I can be more specific:
    1. Very happy with purchase.
    2. Have about 20 holes of play in the rain with it on. No heavy 30 mph wind downpours, but had a full 9 holes of steady rain at Crail and had no issues.
    3. Definitely a European cut, but not too tight... like more forming than American jackets but not like wearing skinny jeans. I wear a Medium Nike polo, probably need a Smedium Peter Millar (have a few mediums and they're a bit puffy), Small in Footjoy polo and Medium Travis Mathew polo probably my cleanest fit, wear a Medium underarmour/nike pullover. 5'9, 170, pretty decent shape, 41 year old slight beer gut. I bought the Medium from Cross and it fits well.
    4. Breathes better than I am used to with past rain gear (foot joy, under armor).
    I also bought the KJUS 2.5 (I think, the one that packs up as small as sleeve of balls) based on comments in this thread... bought on sale and that thing is a home run purchase. I'll try and give a review on that tomorrow too.
    Hope the helps for now!

• MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is that the Kjus Dexter you are referring to?

Driver: TaylorMade M3
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-GW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54*, 58*
    Putter: Ping Ketcsh  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-x
  • soonernicksoonernick Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

I think that's correct, Dexter sounds right. It's been a few months ago that I was doing all of that research so it's not on the top of my head anymore, but I'm pretty sure Dexter is correct.

• StetsonStetson Members Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tried Galway Bay unlined pants when it is over 75 degrees out? Is it a portable sauna or decent breathability?

Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
    3w: Ping G400 SFT (Tour AD DI)
    3H: Ping G400 (Tour AD DI)
    3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Accra)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

I see there is a new line for Galway Bay but it’s not on the website yet.

Wore my Kjus today thru about as tough a test I could throw at it. Played Balleybunion in Ireland today in 35mph and steady rain all day. Bone dry and only started to wet out after about 2hrs in to the round. Rained hard at times, but steady all day. I have the Pro3L

• Puma74Puma74 Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
  • tiger-vs-metiger-vs-me Members Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

At Old Head, they sell Kjus and Galvin Green and the pro told me they won’t be selling GG next year. He said more people want KJUS and that GG is too hard to deal with. Not that that should affect anyone’s decision. Just thought that was interesting

• gatorgolfer86gatorgolfer86 Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    edited Sep 2, 2019 1:11am #764

The guys at **** just did a softgood review that might be worth checking out.

• howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proquip PX6 Stormforce trousers arrived. Fit is excellent, very comfortable and stretchy. Not sure how they’re going to work out in the field, though. The cuff zippers are generous but the lining is loose and very grippy; couldn’t get them over running shoes in my living room. Over golf shoes on the course in the rain may be a challenge. Also, there are no pockets, only slits with pass-through zippers. Which is too bad, as I could see wearing these as trousers on a rainy day rather than as emergency overpants.

• goheels11goheels11 ClubWRX Posts: 403 ClubWRX

Live in the south (Birmingham), so warmth is normally not an issue. I have a pair of unlined ultra thin rain pants that are barely hanging on. Any recommendations for the absolute thinnest rain gear that still performs? Thanks!

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gatorgolfer86 said:

Galway and cross got good feedback

@GoGoErky said:

@gatorgolfer86 said:

Thanks for doing the leg work here. Not sure why that gets blanked out.

Waiting on the delivery of the footjoy hydroknit

Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gatorgolfer86 said:

@GoGoErky said:

@gatorgolfer86 said:

Thanks for doing the leg work here. Not sure why that gets blanked out.

Me either. According to commentary on their no putts given podcast both of these are multipurpose. They have e considering some new gear

Yea. My problem is I play in Florida so it is hot when it rains and by the time you break out the gear, it stops

• JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Minarets said:
    What do you guys do for a hat in the rain? Wear a waterproof? Or wear your regular hat and just get wet?

If you wear a waterproof, what do you wear?

I’ve got a UA Bucket hat and have just ordered a waterproof baseball cap from Kjus as they’re on sale. Should arrive Thursday. The bucket hat isn’t great in the wind.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Cleveland RTX4 54 MID
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3, Studio Stock #28 Slotback, Studio Stock #38 & BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
    Piretti Forza & Matera Elite

How about a good slim fit rain pants?

Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

@DBLEAGLE said:
    I’ve always been a fan of footjoy rain paints but they are definitely not slim fit

@DBLEAGLE said:
    I’ve always been a fan of footjoy rain paints but they are definitely not slim fit

Also not waterproof

• PingKingPingKing Members Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

@C-rad said:
    How about a good slim fit rain pants?

Check out Cross Sportswear M Edge Chinos. They are on sale 50% off. Haven't tested the waterproofness but they are slim and stretchy.

• titleistektitleistek Members Posts: 70 ✭✭

I would check out Calvin green. Sizes are a little smaller because I think they’re design for a “European” fit. Possibly find a local shop and try some on first.

• kmck15kmck15 Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

I am fortunate enough to have a pretty good connect with Nike. I have just about all of the rain gear and highly recommend the higher end gear they sell. The Hyperadapt is as good as it gets in light rain and certain other pieces deal well with heavier rain

Titleist 917 d2 10.5- Proforce VTS Silver 6x
    Titleist 917 f3 15
    - Diamana d+ 80s
    TM TP UDI 20*- Hzrdus Smoke 100x
    Srixon 585 (4-pw)- DG x100
    Ben Hogan tk 15 wedges (50, 54, 58)- Nippon modus3 120x
    2017 Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

• desailledesaille Members Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just got back from Scotland. First three days were wet and windy. Had Galvin paclite pants and Kjus Pro 3L pants/jacket and they both worked incredible.
    First day was GG pants (shorts) and Kjus jacket (baselayer/polo) in 40-60mph winds and rain. Dry and warm as can be. GG pants have always worked well, the Kjus jacket worked even better. Zipping all the way up kept water from coming down the back of neck. The only issue with the excessive wind were the GG paclites, they're wider so they were flapping.
    The next two days went with the Kjus pants/jacket, even better. The pants are much slimmer so no flapping in the wind. Just as warm and dry.
    The biggest advantage with the Kjus, just doesn't feel like you have rain gear on, everything just stretches and is light.

• Bill BroderickBill Broderick Members Posts: 244 ✭✭✭

ProQuip USA currently has a 25% off promo code of FALL25. I don't know how long this is valid for. I received an email from them that doesn't have an expiration date, but says "Enter FALL25 to get 25% off your order today!" I don't know if that means the the code is only valid for today or not.

• chris975dchris975d GeorgiaClubWRX Posts: 1,935 ClubWRX

@Stetson said:

@DBLEAGLE said:

@DBLEAGLE said:

Also not waterproof

This outdated misconception again...

Any FootJoy rain pant in the current Hydolite or DryJoys Select line is 100% waterproof, as it all uses a waterproof membrane, similar to that of GoreTex , Kjus, etc. FootJoy raingear has been just as waterproof as any other for many years now. I'd say I use raingear as much or more than anyone on this forum, and in the past 6-8 years (at least), I've never had any FJ raingear not stop even the most heavy rainfalls or wet conditions. It's not my favorite raingear due to fit/cut, but it's as dry as any. The days of them using DWR only (no waterproof membrane) are long gone.

TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper

Per their site it is only waterproof for two years, wouldn’t that imply it is waterproof due to coating? My Hydrolite’s certainly have not proven waterproof.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file