2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PLAYING GOLF AFTER HEART SURGERY

tmharv

For all you who have been there, how long did it take to get back? Going to have surgery on 01/08, a double by-pass and a aortic valve replacement. What can I expect in recovery time? Doctor says I can chip and putt after a few weeks but nothing more than that for a few months. Would like to hear about your experiences and how soon you came back

Six weeks of physical therapy, two weeks of chipping and putting, a week of pitching, then full swing. When I started playing again, I played the forward tees for a couple of weeks.

I remember teeing the ball up for the first time: I was so grateful I was looking down on the grass, and not up at it. I play a lot of golf, and every time I tee it up on the first hole I say a quiet prayer of gratitude.

Best of luck to you!!

I would play it by ear, and the doctors suggestions. I have had OHS to install an aortic mechanical valve, 30 yrs ago! My biggest concern is the blood thinners I take, and potential bleeding. I have traveled extensively around the world, including two African safaris, swimming with whales in the Azores, play softball, bowl, golf, etc. The time it takes to get back and play golf is probably determined most by how quick the sternum heals. Give it the time the doctor says to heal and everything will be just fine.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

My dad had triple bypass a few years ago. He was back playing in a couple of months. He had a very mild heart attack that really scared him. I think the doctor told him he could play before that, but Dad was nervous. He is back playing twice a week at 82 and occasionally shoots low 80s or high 70s (liberal with the RoGs). He still hits the ball well over 200 yards total with the driver. I am thankful for every round I get to play with him. Take care, good luck, and follow doctor's orders.

Just follow your doctor's orders to the letter. Period.

Medicine is too far from exact OP. What works for one doesn't apply for another. Your doc will be closely monitoring how you are healing up, how your ticker is doing post-op and when your body is ready to take on the physical stresses of any sorts of exercise.

I cannot count the number of times I responded to the aid of someone who sort of rushed things and ended up paying the price for it.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery!

Oh, and to inspire you.....

buy yourself something really special to tease you a bit. Perhaps that new driver or putter you have been pining to put into the bag. Seeing it in the bag might just inspire you to work harder during your supervised rehab and get back to normal as fast as possible.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I had a triple bypass a few years ago, and was back on the course in 2 1/2 months. Still had a bit of tenderness in the sternum area, and was swinging easy, and it worked really well. A month later I was back to my old self, swinging hard and screwing up.

Good luck with the surgery

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Just follow your doctor's orders to the letter. Period.

Medicine is too far from exact OP. What works for one doesn't apply for another. Your doc will be closely monitoring how you are healing up, how your ticker is doing post-op and when your body is ready to take on the physical stresses of any sorts of exercise.

I cannot count the number of times I responded to the aid of someone who sort of rushed things and ended up paying the price for it.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery!

Oh, and to inspire you.....

buy yourself something really special to tease you a bit. Perhaps that new driver or putter you have been pining to put into the bag. Seeing it in the bag might just inspire you to work harder during your supervised rehab and get back to normal as fast as possible.

Well said Jim. Everyone's recovery period will be different. Mine was a bit longer...probably because I am a slow learner. lol

My wife is involved in managing heart transplant patients, She said the protocol is 12 weeks minimum for the sternum to recover, another 4- 8 weeks for full recovery to normal life duty.

But as everything else, this will depend on the individual. The physical condition and the recovery rate can be very different from individual to individual. I'm adding on, the range of motion for the golf swing. The more extensive the range of motion of the golf swing the more time it may need for a full recovery.

Without complications, you should be able to get back to golf in about 5-7 months. Talk to your physician and the O.T. to determine your progress for a full recovery.

Good luck to you and speedy recovery.

I had CABG X5 on Aug. 29, 2017, no complications. Thoracic Surgeon wouldnt release me to play full swing golf for 90 days/3 months. I was allowed to chip, pitch & putt @ 60 days. I did a few 1/2 & 3/4 swings then too. You will be in no condition to begin to take full power swings until at least 3 months as your sternum, rib cage, shoulders, collar bones, neck veins, & upper arms will be very sore from the stress & stretching from cranking open the sternum (see vid below) & the positions you are placed in on the operating table (Trendelenburg position).

Recovering from the stresses placed upon the upper body muscles, bones & veins requires, I'm told about a year or more to completely rehabilitate.

I began flexability & lite strength exercises at around 60 days and will continue until I regain a full range of motion again. It will require a lot of effort to rehab yourself but it is definetly worth it. Expect to only play 9 holes @ 3 - 6 months post op.

BTW the website "www.Inspire.com" is a great source of info & support from cardiac patients, nurses & doctors.

Good Luck on your Surgery.

I also wish you the very best. The good thing is that no matter the recovery time, that the condition was found and they will do something to correct it. This far outweighs the alternative had it not been detected as with some who you hear about with massive heart attacks. The only thing I have is 7 years ago with chest pressure, went to a heart doc. who ended up putting 3 stents in what he told me was the "widowmaker" valve. I had no clue since it was just pressure, I was 59. I felt 25 yrs. old afterward, like the next week. I think by mid season you will too, but the better part is, you will get this taken care of, to play golf and continue to be WRX'er, right? :)

For anyone who even thinks they might have a problem, get it checked please, you will be glad you did.

A couple of other mentionables. I play with a retired GP physician whom I asked advice from when I was diagnosed with needing a CABG. His advice to me was to strickly adhere to the Doctors advice & orders, saying that the medical profession has been performing these procedures for 50+ years.

You will want to protect your sternum & sternal wires for 90 days. Dont lift anything more than 10-15#, pull on any small engine etc. starter cords or raise your arms above shoulders & shoulder height. You want to insure that the sternal wires used to reattach the divided sternum do not pull thru the sternum bones. Keep as much pressure off of your sternum as much as possible for the first 90 days. If it hurts, stop what your doing & dont do it gain until your 90 days post op period has been reached. Its gonna take @ minimum about 6 weeks for your sternal incision (soft tissue) to heal, and 8 - 10 weeks for your sternal bones (hard tissue) to minimally heal. The full strength sternal healing process requires about 10 - 12 months.

The best advice as a recovering member of the chest zipper CABG club is post your procedure is to walk, walk, walk & walk some more. Walking 2 - 5 miles daily is the best & fastest means of creating the quickest recovery. At 90 days I purchased 5# leg weights to walk with which really helps provide a good cardio workout.

Rehabilitate Your Heart

https://rehabilitateyourheart.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/managing-the-open-heart-surgery-scar/

My wife is involved in managing heart transplant patients, She said the protocol is 12 weeks minimum for the sternum to recover, another 4- 8 weeks for full recovery to normal life duty.

But as everything else, this will depend on the individual. The physical condition and the recovery rate can be very different from individual to individual. I'm adding on, the range of motion for the golf swing. The more extensive the range of motion of the golf swing the more time it may need for a full recovery.

Without complications, you should be able to get back to golf in about 5-7 months. Talk to your physician and the O.T. to determine your progress for a full recovery.

Good luck to you and speedy recovery.

lets just say, that i've been there.

i had my surgery in mai and i've been recovering ever since, because i was in a very very bad shape. hopefully i can go back to real golf in march/april.

I was playing a round with my best friend on August 29, 2016. I'll never forget it. We were on hole 5 and It was raining and he said he had bad heartburn and with the rain, he just wasn't into it, so I took him back to his car. A few hours later, he had a massive heart attack. He did survive, but barely. He was 60 at the time and in relatively decent health except for clogged arteries.

Anyways, he was back on the course chipping and putting in about 6 weeks. Hitting easy wedges a month or so after that and he was back to full bore and better than ever at about 6 months or so after his heart attack.

I was playing a round with my best friend on August 29, 2016. I'll never forget it. We were on hole 5 and It was raining and he said he had bad heartburn and with the rain, he just wasn't into it, so I took him back to his car. A few hours later, he had a massive heart attack. He did survive, but barely. He was 60 at the time and in relatively decent health except for clogged arteries.

Anyways, he was back on the course chipping and putting in about 6 weeks. Hitting easy wedges a month or so after that and he was back to full bore and better than ever at about 6 months or so after his heart attack.

I had been experiencing "heart burn" on and off for a few weeks. On a Saturday, we were in the semi-finals of a four ball match. This "heart burn" this time was constant and escalating. We won our match and then had to play the championship match. By then the "heart burn" was getting really bad. In fact, the last few holes were a real chore to get through. (Arrived at the course at 7:00 am and finished up around 8:15 pm...went to 21 holes...we won).

I went home, and about 10:00 told my wife I think I needed to go to the hospital. She was shocked. I detest the place. At the hospital they immediately hooked me up to an EKG and told me I was having a heart attack. The doctor said had I waited a couple of more hours I wouldn't have made it. Had surgery the next morning.

Sometimes "heart burn" isn't heart burn. Pay attention to what your body is telling you. It never occurred to me that I was having a heart attack.

Jan 23rd will be my one year anniversary of having aortic valve replacement. I think I was hitting chips at 6 weeks. Taking some very deliberate swings 8 weeks and I played 9 holes at 10 weeks. Don’t expect to swing at 100% speed for a while but it will come back after 5-6 months.

It took about 5-6 months before all the pain was gone from being cracked open. But it gets better in a hurry after that.

Good luck to you, the first few weeks are pretty brutal but from my experience things progress quickly once you get through the first couple of weeks and you start PT. At this point in time I really don’t think about it much any more. Life is basically back to normal.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Post op expect a couple days in cardiac ICU if there are no complications with a combined hospital stay of 7 - 10 days. The longer stay if your a smoker.

Dont expect to have an appetite for two or three weeks post the procedure. I lost 21 pounds before I could consume solid foods again. Once you begin eating again, know that your recovery is well underway & the worst is now over. You will be pleasantly surprised at how intense & quickly the recovery moves as you will feel remarkably better with each passing day. At this point in your recovery & rehab any pain experienced will be mild healing aches & pains as severed nerves & blood vessels repair themselves.

Since you are having both a CABG & valve work I assume your procedure will be "on-pump", which means your surgeon will use the "heart lung" machine diverting your blood from the heart muscle which provides him the extra time required for him to perform his magic. Your heart will be stopped & your body temp lowered to around 77*. Most patients will experience a side effect of being "on pump" called "pump head."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/pumphead-heart-lung-machine/

Pump head is aggravating and begins to subside once you begin consuming solid foods. Your body will be targetting & focusing all of its energy on repairing & mending your heart muscle & sternum, etc.. All other mental & bodily functions will initially suffer as your body targets the recovery areas.

Its a brutal procedure, its not necessarilly a painful one. Opiates make me sick, on the second day post surgery I was only taking Tylenol 3 for pain management. The first 3 weeks are the worst, but this time period semmingly flies by. After the first 3 weeks flies by you will be chipping, pitching & putting at 6 weeks :).

For me, I read the forum & blogs "Life after by-pass surgery" @ Inspire.com.

https://www.inspire.com/?section=topic&topic-507=1&group_id=200088

Post Op you will have many questions while realizing that your life & world has been changed. I assure you that any normal questions you may have post-op can be found at Inspire. If you dont experience any complications, you will experience some anxiety, mild depression, shortness of breath & mild aches & pains, all of which are completely normal. Its just reassuring to know that most of these symptoms are normal. That said, dont be affraid of call your surgeon with questions if any of the above side effects & symptoms go from mild to acute. Also dont be afraid of requesting that your medications be adjusted. You will be sent home with a dozen or more meds to control your bp, hb, the viscosity of your blood, etc. (Clopidrogel, Metoprolol, etc.) & most likely a statin (80 mg Atorvastatin ???). In my case the side effects of several of the drugs could not be tolerated by my body and required adjusting the dosage & drugs themselves to be tolerable.

All in all my experience with CABG X5 wasnt/isnt particularly a bad or painful experience. I was a smoker for 48 yrs, but quite smoking 3 days before surgery. I fought nicotine withdraws, shortness of breathe & excessive mucus for the first 2+ months. You will be given a pillow to press against your chest when you cough or sneeze to protect your sternal wires & lower the pain. Keep your pillow close at hand. The most terrifying thing post surgery is the first sneeze. Once the first sneeze is accomplished everything else is a walk in the park.

IOW there isnt normally anything to fear from submitting to the procedure. These procedures have been streamlined by the medical community for over 50+ years with millions performed annually around the world. IOW your condition has been seen & experienced many times by your surgeon, i.e. its no surprise to him. I was very impressed by my doctor, surgeon & the quality of cardiac care I received. I hope your experience is as good as mine. I would say better but I dont think it gets any better.

/S

The following is a great post from Inspire.com. The authors story is much akin to my own. Played 18 on Tuesday & another 18 on Thursday, stress test on Friday, bam almost had a heart attack in cardiologists office. Had an angiogram on Monday & CABG X5 on Tuesday... wham, wham then bam!

"I post this every now and then for people new to bypass surgery. It is a combination of my experience and that of others on this site so it is not just my story, others have contributed. The purpose of this synopsis is more to show that we all tend to have the same (or similar) feelings and fears and that much of the concerns are normal and will heal in time. To be knowledgeable is to be prepared.

Heart Form – a work in progress.

I was in good shape with few symptoms. In fact I was running up and down three flights of stairs one week before the operation carrying boxes to help move my inlaws. I worked out physically most of my life and played hockey 3 times a week until I was 60 years old. I too didn't recognize the few symptoms I had. It started with some "funny feelings" when I first got up in the morning which progressed to now and then during the day so my MD sent me for a stress test. I was 7 minutes into the stress test when I told the tech I was experiencing the "feelings" I tried to explain to my doctor. I left the test centre in an ambulance (no heart attack just alarming results on the test screen). End result, one 90% blockage and three more between 70% and 80%. Due to the position of the blockages stints were not an option.

When I was told I needed the surgery within the next few days my attitude was "let's get to it then". I was diagnosed on Friday and on the operating table Monday morning.

As to the surgery, at 67 years of age I found the physical part the easiest. You go to sleep and then you wake up with tubes in you and your done that part. Not a lot of pain....more of what I would call discomfort, well, except for that first sneeze! The drugs control the pain so to you it is nonexistent for the most part. The operation was Monday morning and Friday at noon I left hospital after walking up and down one flight of stairs very slowly. The hospital staff did a good job of preparing me for what would happen during the operation, in recovery right after the operation and what I had to do to promote a good recovery over the coming months. This is pretty much a routine operation in this day and age.

One thing they do not seem to prepare you for with this operation is the psychological effects of the life threatening trauma you go through so I will touch on this first. In this case it is your own mind and your inner fear is your biggest enemy! Your spouse, caregivers and love ones need to know that you will have some personality changes to deal with. For some this is a major personality change with some nasty side effects like very short temper and it is your loved ones and care givers you will snap at. There seems to be two different psychological directions people take as a result of the trauma of this operation. Some become depressed and some get angry/mean. The degree of these personality changes varies from mild to severe depending on the individual. I certainly had a real issue with anger management after the operation. In the worst case, this trauma can be life alternating and will mess with your head. In the weeks and months (yes months) after the operation you will have mood swings, maybe anger (mean as a snake as been used here to describe it), some are short tempered and maybe a bit of depression, you may even burst into tears for little or no reason. I swear that in the first few months after surgery I would cry watching a sad TV commercial! There is a rare condition that can occur as a result of being on the heart machine so if the personality change is significant or last beyond a few months without easing, discuss it with a doctor. The layman term is “pump head” but this gets the blame when there can be several other causes for the cognitive and memory issues both psychological and drug side effect related.

Other complaints are lack of taste/appetite, even of foods you liked. Loss of short term memory is also a complaint. I couldn't remember what cereal I had that morning when asked by the dietician and I have had the same cereal every morning for 20 years! Sleeping in the first few weeks home is an issue for some. I had no problem and slept in my bed from the first day home but some use an easy chair with pillows.

Many have called the recovery a roller coaster ride. In the first few months you will be hyper sensitive to every little pain or feeling and every beat of your heart as well. It's almost like your listening to every beat just waiting for something bad to happen! At night lying in bed was the worst for me. The sound of every beat seemed to echo through my head! I would have to try and find a position where it was duller so I could sleep. As the song said, "Paranoia will destroy ya!". It's different for everyone of us but we all go through something. With some it is more serious than others. AVRMan “During that time I had dizzy spells, aches, left and right side chest muscle pain, fatigue, a flutter, problems sleeping, sleeping too much, numbness in my leg and talked about my surgery way too much. The symptoms of my poorly functioning valve and blocked arteries were pretty much gone after the surgery but the s---kicking that my body took during surgery lasted a long time”.

What you need to know is that all of this is normal and will pass after several months....yes months even up to a year. It sort of tapers away as you start to realize that you really are ok and getting better. The one thing you could depend upon all your life has let you down (your body) and as silly as it sounds, you have lost your trust in it. You need to redevelop that trust. Even the best car has a flat tire now and then!

This is a healing process like no other you have experience. In the process of bypass your heart is disturbed but so are all the nerves and nerve bundles that control it. All this has to heal and the nerve issues take much longer than the simple cuts! Having high or low heart rates for short periods are not uncommon, palpations, thumbing strong heart beats, etc. If it last for a long period or is of serious concern seek out medical help. I will say that again, if a problem persists or is of serious concern see your doctor. Complications are rare, but do happen and this is nothing to play with, it could be life threatening! The worst thing than can happen is that you will be told nothing is wrong....the medical community is very knowledgeable in regard to our feelings and sensitivities after heart surgery. Afib attacks are not uncommon as well. I had to go to emergency and get an intravenous drip after I caused an Afib attack because I was pushing my workouts too hard in the first two months. It was brought under control in emergency and I am fine now. I never had another one. Mostly, this occurs in the evening after a long hard day. If you push too hard the first sign is fatigue in the evening take it as a warning and back off just a little bit for awhile.

This operation knocks the stuffing out of you physically so don't expect to run miles three weeks after. It will be a process to build back to where you were before the operation that will take up to a year. On the other hand recovery in the first few weeks is by leaps and bounds. You will be walking in a few days and out of hospital in a week +/-. I worked at it using my own routine and at 12 months was 100%, walking 3-4 miles a day, curling and sweeping which drives my heart rate up to 160. If you can get into a cardio rehab program within the first few months do it!

You will need to get going as soon as possible after surgery but listen to your body and your recovery should be smooth. Just be patient but diligent and don't work too hard at first as you have to give your body a chance to recover. Those of us who have worked out most of our lives tend to push a bit too hard at first and that can cause setbacks. Recovery is a turtle crawl not a rabbit run.

I worked out all my life, actually started running and weight training when I was a teenager. I played hockey between 3 and 7 times a week throughout my adult life until I was 60 along with Judo and curling but my genes caught up to me at 67. Most of the males on my dad's side died before 63 and my dad died at 69, all heart attacks related to plugged arteries.

In the end statins, exercise and lastly diet is the key to staying healthy if you have the wrong genes!

New plumbing, a few drugs and maybe a change in diet and you will be ready to go for another few decades. We are all very lucky.......think of those who died not knowing an operation (which is now almost routine) could have extended their lives decades! AVRMan “ After the first year I could do everything I did before the operation and more. It was truly a second chance at life for me. Cardiac illness came upon me over a long time so that I really did not notice the changes in my body and its ability. It had been ten years before my surgery that I quit playing soccer. Two years after my surgery I am jogging laps with my 23 year old trainer and we decide to try sprinting. Didn't I kick her a** not once but three times........where the hell did that come from? Now in my 62th year I am playing Soccer again. Moral of the story is that once your heart is fixed its probably fixed so treat it with respect but find out its boundaries.”

Keep on this site, it is more than an information board it is a sounding board of people who understand and have walked in your shoes. My extra time is to be enjoyed so my motto is everything in moderation.......want french fries with that? Ok just don't overdo it. Remember it is a treat not a habit and even though there is no scientific evidence that what you eat is linked to heart disease bad diet causing over weight is!

Below is a Post from a CABG patient:

Hi I was also 48 when I had my CABGX5 in Feb. 1983. Today at 82 I am still going strong. One thing you need to know about Heart Disease it's not curable but it is manageable through diet, exercise and doing everything else in moderation. It has worked for me the last 34 years and I see no reason it can't work for others. In the course of my recovery I have known a lot of heart patients who didn't manage their recovery who are no longer here to talk about it. It's all about the choices we make. Getting the surgery was my new lease on life and I didn't waste it. Good luck with your journey

RonB"

https://www.inspire.com/groups/heart-bypass-surgery/discussion/double-bypass-open-heart-1-month-ago-no-energy/?origin=mtr

• 3 months later...

I myself am going in this coming Tuesday for aortic valve replacement. Hope everything went well with your surgery, and hopefully you are back to playing golf full-time. Not really excited about having my chest cracked open at only 46 years old, but if this is what it takes for me to get to watch my little boy grow up, then it's a no-brainer at this point. I have talked to you a few different people on this site that have had the same operation and I have been told to expect approximately 8 to 10 weeks before playing golf again. Again, hope your surgery went well and you had a speedy recovery.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

I had CABG X5 on Aug. 29, 2017, no complications. Thoracic Surgeon wouldnt release me to play full swing golf for 90 days/3 months. I was allowed to chip, pitch & putt @ 60 days. I did a few 1/2 & 3/4 swings then too. You will be in no condition to begin to take full power swings until at least 3 months as your sternum, rib cage, shoulders, collar bones, neck veins, & upper arms will be very sore from the stress & stretching from cranking open the sternum (see vid below) & the positions you are placed in on the operating table (Trendelenburg position).

Recovering from the stresses placed upon the upper body muscles, bones & veins requires, I'm told about a year or more to completely rehabilitate.

I began flexability & lite strength exercises at around 60 days and will continue until I regain a full range of motion again. It will require a lot of effort to rehab yourself but it is definetly worth it. Expect to only play 9 holes @ 3 - 6 months post op.

BTW the website "www.Inspire.com" is a great source of info & support from cardiac patients, nurses & doctors.

Good Luck on your Surgery.

i had a quad bypass 9 years ago at 63 years old and iirc this is pretty much the same process that i had to undergo..

i am also into Olympic archery and i dropped my poundage by 10lbs and started pulling the lighter bow about 3 mos after the surgery but didn't do serious shooting until after 6 mos after the surgery..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I myself am going in this coming Tuesday for aortic valve replacement. Hope everything went well with your surgery, and hopefully you are back to playing golf full-time. Not really excited about having my chest cracked open at only 46 years old, but if this is what it takes for me to get to watch my little boy grow up, then it's a no-brainer at this point. I have talked to you a few different people on this site that have had the same operation and I have been told to expect approximately 8 to 10 weeks before playing golf again. Again, hope your surgery went well and you had a speedy recovery.

I had my chest cracked open, as you call it, at age 32 for an aortic valve replacement. Since then I have been playing golf whenever I want, which is very often. The sternum heals up quite well especially when they wire it shut. Sounds sort of ugly but it works very well. The worst part of it all I have to take blood thinners all my life.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I had my chest cracked open, as you call it, at age 32 for an aortic valve replacement. Since then I have been playing golf whenever I want, which is very often. The sternum heals up quite well especially when they wire it shut. Sounds sort of ugly but it works very well. The worst part of it all I have to take blood thinners all my life.
me too. Hoping they approve a drug other than warfarin one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Well fellas, I am in my first week home after the surgery......... today is my one week anniversary from having my aortic valve replacement surgery. Other than feeling like I have been ran over by a freight train, everything is going great. The valve I went with is called the ON-X valve, and according to my research and what my doctor told me there is a possibility of potentially weaning myself completely off of Warfarin or down to a much smaller dosage because of this new valve. Whether it allows me to take a lower dosage or completely get off of Warfarin all together and only be taking a daily aspirin, it is a small price to pay to be able to live a long healthy life with my family. I am looking forward to a trip to Hawaii with my wife at the end of June, and really hope I am able to play golf by then as I really would hate to travel to such a beautiful place and not get the play some of those beautiful courses.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

• 10 months later...

I had a dacron aortic artery and aortic valve placement on Jan 21,2019. I had no symptoms leading up to surgery. It was caught by divine intervention. I am an avid golfer and in pretty good shape. I hit a small bucket after 6weeks. And am going on a 3 day 2 round gold trip next week. That will be 8 weeks to playing. I feel great! That might be because I had no symptoms and issues such as heart attack or clogged arteries. I have been determined to get back to normal. Right from day of surgery. I was on my feet within 3 hours after surgery. And proceeded to wear a trail around the nurse station. When I couldn't sleep (which was often) I'd go walking the halls.

Stay positive and determined, you will back on the course in no time.

• Like 1