An Eight Club Golf Bag

1356717

Comments

  • scruffynickscruffynick Members Posts: 1,467 ✭✭
    Medic wrote:


    Anyone here watch the Rick Shiels video where he played an entire round with nothing but a 7 iron? Including putting and all. He shot a low score for crying out loud! Proof positive that a good swing, distance control and a little creativity can go a long way towards a decent score.


    He also did it on St Anne's old links.... That's some course and very tough! One of the best I've played
  • lefty_foreverlefty_forever Members Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Been playing 8 clubs as well... driver,19 deg hybrid, 5,7,9,Pw, sw and putter. All in a moonlight bag. Never had so much fun and still score the same...

  • ByeBye Posts: 1,307 ✭✭
    I'm down to 13 clubs at the moment, was thinking of going to 12 next time I change my wedges. Much respect to those that can score playing with 8 clubs. Sound like a revolution! Much cheaper as well.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X - 44.5 inches
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 21 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey 46.08, 50.08 - X100
    Vokey 56S, 60M - S300
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
    Titleist Pro V1
  • ParParAgainParParAgain Posts: 99 ✭✭


    Been playing 8 clubs as well... driver,19 deg hybrid, 5,7,9,Pw, sw and putter. All in a moonlight bag. Never had so much fun and still score the same...




    Hey! How about that: another minimalist golfer with a Ping moonlite carry bag from La Belle Province.



    Congrats on making your first-ever post on GolfWrx, too.
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,329 ✭✭


    Been playing 8 clubs as well... driver,19 deg hybrid, 5,7,9,Pw, sw and putter. All in a moonlight bag. Never had so much fun and still score the same...




    PING Moonlite bag is the bomb. I have the red one. 👍
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    The Perfect Club 21*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    PING Eye 2 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • scruffynickscruffynick Members Posts: 1,467 ✭✭
    Using my winter slazenger bag at present time....it's rather wet at the moment. Have a titleist pencil for summer, both perfect for me 7-8 clubs! Still it was sunny and warmish for a while this morning... Ain't now!
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭


    Been playing 8 clubs as well... driver,19 deg hybrid, 5,7,9,Pw, sw and putter. All in a moonlight bag. Never had so much fun and still score the same...




    First, welcome to GolfWRX! :-)



    During my research I discovered just what you said...scores stay about the same.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭


    Using my winter slazenger bag at present time....it's rather wet at the moment. Have a titleist pencil for summer, both perfect for me 7-8 clubs! Still it was sunny and warmish for a while this morning... Ain't now!




    Nice looking bag there Scruff!
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • rrm1980rrm1980 Posts: 337 ✭✭
    I love playing a minimalist bag. The only problem I run into is my longest iron or hybrid. This is most usually a 4i or 4h.



    I am comfortable playing a 3/4 6i, 8i or PW to dial in the distance but have trouble doing the same with a 4i or 4h. The trajectory is usually too low



    For me, choking up can only take but 10 yards off and I sometimes need to take more off than that.



    Anyone else?
  • Tommy56Tommy56 Members Posts: 458 ✭✭
    rrm1980 wrote:


    I love playing a minimalist bag. The only problem I run into is my longest iron or hybrid. This is most usually a 4i or 4h.



    I am comfortable playing a 3/4 6i, 8i or PW to dial in the distance but have trouble doing the same with a 4i or 4h. The trajectory is usually too low



    For me, choking up can only take but 10 yards off and I sometimes need to take more off than that.



    Anyone else?




    Fellow minimalist here ... I go from a 22*H to my 5i, so my gap may be little less than yours. To take some off the hybrid, I will first choke up; and if I need to take a bit more off, I'll just take a slightly shorter backswing.
    Minimalist:  917D2 / 816H1 / 716AP2 5, 7, 9 / SM7 48, 54 / Futura 5.5M
  • rrm1980rrm1980 Posts: 337 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2018 #72
    Tommy56 wrote:

    rrm1980 wrote:


    I love playing a minimalist bag. The only problem I run into is my longest iron or hybrid. This is most usually a 4i or 4h.



    I am comfortable playing a 3/4 6i, 8i or PW to dial in the distance but have trouble doing the same with a 4i or 4h. The trajectory is usually too low



    For me, choking up can only take but 10 yards off and I sometimes need to take more off than that.



    Anyone else?




    Fellow minimalist here ... I go from a 22*H to my 5i, so my gap may be little less than yours. To take some off the hybrid, I will first choke up; and if I need to take a bit more off, I'll just take a slightly shorter backswing.




    I like your set up. I am leaning towards using a driver this year or a 913FD that has been in my bag a while that is a mini driver for me.



    I am have done a 5,7,9 set up before but missed my PW, which I feel is a very versatile club for me from 85 to 130 yards. So this year I am leaning to a 6,8,PW set up.



    I also am looking to carry a 58* to use out of the sand and those times I short side myself.



    How did you come to use a 50* and your highest loft?
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,271 ✭✭
    Every year our league has a 2 club and a putter day. Most guys shoot within just a few strokes of their handicap. Last year I shot 2 over (38) with a 7 Wood and a 9 iron. Won low gross but no skins (dangit). 7 pars, 2 bogies.



    If everyone reading this took out the 6 clubs they hit the worst, I'll bet dollars to donuts their scores would either not change, or most likely improve.



    Think about it, if you take out the even (or odd) numbered irons, a wedge, and gave up a fairway wood or hybrid or two could you still get around your course?



    As added bonus, if you did that for several rounds, your shot making, game plan and creativity would greatly improve.
  • drn92drn92 Members Posts: 1,759 ✭✭
    I’ve posted in other minimalist threads but over the past two years have played the majority of my rounds with 8 or 9 clubs. Typically I use a driver, 7 wood, 5.7.9. Gap and Sand wedge and a putter. I also tried several different combinations of this with a half dozen different sets of irons. My index went down 0.3 over this time (6.3 currently). I’ve enjoyed the rounds, especially the 9 hole rounds carrying my bag like I did as a kid.



    I think your score comes down to keeping the ball in play off the tee, not having a bunch of penalty strokes, and chipping/putting. I am not good enough to consistently swing an 8 iron the same way every time, and it has been fun not always trying to hit a “stock” iron shot on every swing. It is liberating playing with a half set. I’d encourage everyone to try it in 2018.



    drn92
  • minimal45minimal45 Walking Golfer Members Posts: 1,146 ClubWRX
    I have been using 5 for the last 5 years and have no plans to change.
    Minimalist Bag
    Adams Idea a12 OS 3 Hybrid
    Tour Edge Bazooka Jmax QL 4 Ironwood
    Nike Slingshot HL 8 Iron and AW
    Pro Edge Excel L1 Putter
    Titleist NXT Tour Ball
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    minimal45 wrote:


    I have been using 5 for the last 5 years and have no plans to change.




    What five clubs have you chosen?



    I will have to experiment a bit to see what works best:



    Dr, 7-wood, 6, 8, PW, SW, LW, P, or,



    Dr, 3-wood, 5 hybrid, 7, 9, AW, LW, P



    Heck, 5 clubs would be grand! Might even try that.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • JustWedgitJustWedgit Members Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I'm curious. How many of you play in "legitimate" or sanctioned tournaments with a minimalist (10 clubs or less) bag. By legitimate I mean State Am, Senior State Am, or City Am etc. What were your results? After 3 rounds of competition did you find that you left strokes on the course because you were missing the "right" club for the situation? If so how many places on the leaderboard did that cost you? I think that would be extremely frustrating or do you just chalk up to missed opportunities in not performing the three quarter 8 iron or baby 3 hybrid to the best of your abilities.



    I get the minimalist bag concept for practice but I would not want to go into a tournament without a full arsenal.
  • Tommy56Tommy56 Members Posts: 458 ✭✭
    rrm1980 wrote:

    Tommy56 wrote:

    rrm1980 wrote:


    I love playing a minimalist bag. The only problem I run into is my longest iron or hybrid. This is most usually a 4i or 4h.



    I am comfortable playing a 3/4 6i, 8i or PW to dial in the distance but have trouble doing the same with a 4i or 4h. The trajectory is usually too low



    For me, choking up can only take but 10 yards off and I sometimes need to take more off than that.



    Anyone else?




    Fellow minimalist here ... I go from a 22*H to my 5i, so my gap may be little less than yours. To take some off the hybrid, I will first choke up; and if I need to take a bit more off, I'll just take a slightly shorter backswing.




    I like your set up. I am leaning towards using a driver this year or a 913FD that has been in my bag a while that is a mini driver for me.



    I am have done a 5,7,9 set up before but missed my PW, which I feel is a very versatile club for me from 85 to 130 yards. So this year I am leaning to a 6,8,PW set up.



    I also am looking to carry a 58* to use out of the sand and those times I short side myself.



    How did you come to use a 50* and your highest loft?




    Good question ... I hadn't used a very high lofted wedge in a long time, and 54* was my highest. When I decided to go minimalist, I felt that the odd numbered irons worked best for my game, which meant skipping the PW. I use the 50* a lot and can hit a wide variety of shots with it and it somewhat negated the need to carry the 54 as an extra club. That said, I will likely swap out the 50 with a 52 when the SM7s are released which will give me a touch more loft around the greens, yet let me flight it down as needed.
    Minimalist:  917D2 / 816H1 / 716AP2 5, 7, 9 / SM7 48, 54 / Futura 5.5M
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    JustWedgit wrote:


    I'm curious. How many of you play in "legitimate" or sanctioned tournaments with a minimalist (10 clubs or less) bag. By legitimate I mean State Am, Senior State Am, or City Am etc. What were your results? After 3 rounds of competition did you find that you left strokes on the course because you were missing the "right" club for the situation? If so how many places on the leaderboard did that cost you? I think that would be extremely frustrating or do you just chalk up to missed opportunities in not performing the three quarter 8 iron or baby 3 hybrid to the best of your abilities.



    I get the minimalist bag concept for practice but I would not want to go into a tournament without a full arsenal.




    Good question. I don't think I have heard of anyone playing tournaments with a minimalist bag.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • Tommy56Tommy56 Members Posts: 458 ✭✭
    I don't play in any sanctioned tournaments. At the same time, I can score just as well with the minimalist kit and am just as confident/competitive in our leagues. If I were to play in a more meaningful tournament, I'd have to decide whether to take a full set (probably) or stay with what I've grown comfortable with ... hmmm ... dunno.
    Minimalist:  917D2 / 816H1 / 716AP2 5, 7, 9 / SM7 48, 54 / Futura 5.5M
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2018 #81
    Sean2 wrote:

    JustWedgit wrote:


    I'm curious. How many of you play in "legitimate" or sanctioned tournaments with a minimalist (10 clubs or less) bag. By legitimate I mean State Am, Senior State Am, or City Am etc. What were your results? After 3 rounds of competition did you find that you left strokes on the course because you were missing the "right" club for the situation? If so how many places on the leaderboard did that cost you? I think that would be extremely frustrating or do you just chalk up to missed opportunities in not performing the three quarter 8 iron or baby 3 hybrid to the best of your abilities.



    I get the minimalist bag concept for practice but I would not want to go into a tournament without a full arsenal.




    Good question. I don't think I have heard of anyone playing tournaments with a minimalist bag.




    I played in a scramble yesterday with 8 clubs. We won. I was in unusual (for me) positions since we had to use tee shots from each member, but the bag worked out fine. Not sure if a scramble counts as a tournament here, but I'd actually be more confident with the 8 club bag in a stroke play event. I have a match play club championship coming up and my 8 club bag stands.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    The Perfect Club 21*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    PING Eye 2 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • Tommy56Tommy56 Members Posts: 458 ✭✭
    minimal45 wrote:


    I have been using 5 for the last 5 years and have no plans to change.




    Carrying 5 sounds intriguing ... might have to try that sometime. Just curious, have you tried putting with something else (say, your 3H) in order to carry another distance club?
    Minimalist:  917D2 / 816H1 / 716AP2 5, 7, 9 / SM7 48, 54 / Futura 5.5M
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    sdandrea wrote:

    Sean2 wrote:

    JustWedgit wrote:


    I'm curious. How many of you play in "legitimate" or sanctioned tournaments with a minimalist (10 clubs or less) bag. By legitimate I mean State Am, Senior State Am, or City Am etc. What were your results? After 3 rounds of competition did you find that you left strokes on the course because you were missing the "right" club for the situation? If so how many places on the leaderboard did that cost you? I think that would be extremely frustrating or do you just chalk up to missed opportunities in not performing the three quarter 8 iron or baby 3 hybrid to the best of your abilities.



    I get the minimalist bag concept for practice but I would not want to go into a tournament without a full arsenal.




    Good question. I don't think I have heard of anyone playing tournaments with a minimalist bag.




    I played in a scramble yesterday with 8 clubs. We won. I was in unusual (for me) positions since we had to use tee shots from each member, but the bag worked out fine. Not sure if a scramble counts as a tournament here, but I'd actually be more confident with the 8 club bag in a stroke play event. I have a match play club championship coming up and my 8 club bag stands.




    Awesome! Good luck in your next tournament!
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • ByeBye Posts: 1,307 ✭✭

    Medic wrote:


    Anyone here watch the Rick Shiels video where he played an entire round with nothing but a 7 iron? Including putting and all. He shot a low score for crying out loud! Proof positive that a good swing, distance control and a little creativity can go a long way towards a decent score.


    He also did it on St Anne's old links.... That's some course and very tough! One of the best I've played




    Good golf course. I played it years ago and really enjoyed it. I have never gotten as wet before or since though. We could see the rain coming from miles away.



    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X - 44.5 inches
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 21 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey 46.08, 50.08 - X100
    Vokey 56S, 60M - S300
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
    Titleist Pro V1
  • Double DutchDouble Dutch Posts: 561 ✭✭
    I play with 8 clubs pretty often, just to have a lighter bag. As long as I have my driver, one hybrid, and on the other end my putter and favourite wedge, it doesn’t matter if I have a full set of irons, just the odd or just the even numbers, I score and play the same. It could be different if your course has very hard and fast greens and you have to come in as steeply as possible to hold a green.
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
    Taylormade M1 3HL
    Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
    Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport original
  • rcfs1834rcfs1834 Members Posts: 25 ✭✭
    I play 9 clubs because I like to carry.



    Driver GBB 12.5*

    BB OS hybrid 22*

    BB OS irons 4, 7, 9, AW

    Mack Daddy PM grind 56* and 64*

    Ping putter
  • tnordtnord Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    i play half a bag for every round from basically november until march. we go to temporary greens, and i'm just out there to have fun and get some exercise more than anything. i think it does help you work on your touch and shotmaking as well.



    i've probably only played 4 real rounds with half a bag this year before we went to temporary greens...only a couple shots worse than normal. the tough part for me comes in the wedges, since i only carry two to start with. PW/58 or 9i/52 are my options.



    i especially love shooting in the 70s and taking people's money with half a bag.....that's the best.
    TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
    Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
    Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
    SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
    Bettinardi BB1
    @protrajT
  • minimal45minimal45 Walking Golfer Members Posts: 1,146 ClubWRX
    Sean2 wrote:

    minimal45 wrote:


    I have been using 5 for the last 5 years and have no plans to change.




    What five clubs have you chosen?



    I will have to experiment a bit to see what works best:



    Dr, 7-wood, 6, 8, PW, SW, LW, P, or,



    Dr, 3-wood, 5 hybrid, 7, 9, AW, LW, P



    Heck, 5 clubs would be grand! Might even try that.
    I like having 2 longish clubs and 2 short plus a putter. Right now I go 3h,4I,8I,aw,putter.
    Minimalist Bag
    Adams Idea a12 OS 3 Hybrid
    Tour Edge Bazooka Jmax QL 4 Ironwood
    Nike Slingshot HL 8 Iron and AW
    Pro Edge Excel L1 Putter
    Titleist NXT Tour Ball
  • No ones mentioned it but how many of you would use the driver off the deck ala Fowler style when doing the minimalist bag?

    I've done it once but not something I'd plan on doing regularly with my newish big fat driver head..

    Some of the older Callaway GBB drivers would be perfect for that role... image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Do you really want to know WITB? Oh ok (talk about peer pressure!)
    My favourite clubs I use sometimes (A$480 total):
    Srixon Z745 10.5degree driver Mitsubishi Rayon X flex $100
    Srixon F45 15 degree fairway wood Stiff flex $150
    Srixon H45 18 degree 3 hybrid Mitsubishi Rayon X flex $75
    Srixon i302 3 - SW RIfle 5.0 Shafts $135
    Bridgestown 60 degree lob wedge $20
    Odyssey Two ball Fang (Gift)
  • drn92drn92 Members Posts: 1,759 ✭✭
    bigfatant wrote:


    No ones mentioned it but how many of you would use the driver off the deck ala Fowler style when doing the minimalist bag?

    I've done it once but not something I'd plan on doing regularly with my newish big fat driver head..

    Some of the older Callaway GBB drivers would be perfect for that role... image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />




    I keep looking for a deal on a mini driver that I would definitely try off the deck. 12 degree might be sporty, but the 14 would work in a pinch.



    drn92
  • boskaboska Members Posts: 22
    I used to play with 7 clubs, for over a year, but recently added 3H for lay up drives. Now playing



    Driver 10.5*

    3H 19*

    25* iron

    32*

    40*

    48*

    56* SW

    Putter



    Playing of 12.5 index usually at 133 slope/73.9 home course.
Sign In or Register to comment.