Maltby PTM ?

FirePro

This new Maltby Forging was brought up in another Maltby Thread which was said to go by the name of PTM. what are peoples thoughts of what this is going to be/look like? if it ends up being DMB with a more player profile and higher CG this may be a great leap forward for Maltby golf and the fact that it will be offered in the DMB black finish which sounds to be the best of the market im sure it will peak some interest for those that currently play OEM irons.

if anyone has info or pics which I am told is not really available please feel free to share with our WRX community.

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This new Maltby Forging was brought up in another Maltby Thread which was said to go by the name of PTM. what are peoples thoughts of what this is going to be/look like? if it ends up being DMB with a more player profile and higher CG this may be a great leap forward for Maltby golf and the fact that it will be offered in the DMB black finish which sounds to be the best of the market im sure it will peak some interest for those that currently play OEM irons.

if anyone has info or pics which I am told is not really available please feel free to share with our WRX community.

Golfworks has just listed the new PTM Forged irons in both Pearl Chrome and Black under new heads for 2018. I think they look really nice, with stronger lofts than the TE Forged.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Definitely like the looks of these. I'm still bagging my original MMBs. It'd be a tough choice between the PTM and the black MMB if I'd upgrade.....I've got wedges that'll cover either for gapping.

Modern bag:
Nike vr str8 fit tour set at 11
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Nike vr_s 3 and 4 hybrids
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Sunday/quick nine walker:
Callaway warbird deuce 2 wd
Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Palmer Chattanooga driver
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw
Wilson professional 600 putter

Nice, univ hosel a bonus....blade length slightly longer than the mmb and te, assuming sole width similar to the te.

This sounds promising, crossing my fingers that they blunted the leading edge-

Progressive sole angle (bounce), modern tour leading edge grind and 4 way radius sole provides the optimum turf interaction from a variety of turf conditions.

Wandering more about this-

Multi-Groove technology places more square grooves on the face for improved consistency, trajectory and spin.

Definitely like the looks of these. I'm still bagging my original MMBs. It'd be a tough choice between the PTM and the black MMB if I'd upgrade.....I've got wedges that'll cover either for gapping.

Looks like these have the slightly longer blade length, like your original MMB. The second generation and current MMB, have the slightly shorter blade length

I wonder if the strong lofts will help with the high launch that some reviewers were talking about with the DBM/TE

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Would be great if we had pics comparing MMB DBM and PTM side by side

Here you go, quick MS Paint job.

All photos taken from The Golfworks Website from the follow links. Hopefully used for reference only.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ptm-black-forged-iron-heads/p/MA0286S/

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-dbm-forged-iron-heads/p/MA0225/#

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-mmb-black-forged-iron-set/p/MA0283S/#

Looks like these have the slightly longer blade length, like your original MMB. The second generation and current MMB, have the slightly shorter blade length

I did not know that- thanks for the info! That makes decisions a bit easier as I really like the way the original MMBs look at address and frame the ball. I know it's all individual, but that's what counts!

Modern bag:
Nike vr str8 fit tour set at 11
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Nike vr_s 3 and 4 hybrids
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Sunday/quick nine walker:
Callaway warbird deuce 2 wd
Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Palmer Chattanooga driver
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw
Wilson professional 600 putter

I wander if they fall more in line with the ke4 forged.....I remember them being slightly bigger than the TE, but they had the weight screw in the middle of the cavity for easy SW adjustability, and that gawdy cavity badge.

I'm returning mine because of that cavity badge. The clubs play well, I just couldn't get over that they used a black sharpie to make up tolerances where the badges weren't cut correctly.

Call me vain.

to bad they sell the full set of the black finish, would have liked to make P-5 and d-lofted them 2 degrees

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")

I wander if they fall more in line with the ke4 forged.....I remember them being slightly bigger than the TE, but they had the weight screw in the middle of the cavity for easy SW adjustability, and that gawdy cavity badge.

I'm returning mine because of that cavity badge. The clubs play well, I just couldn't get over that they used a black sharpie to make up tolerances where the badges weren't cut correctly.

Call me vain.

pretty sure it would pi$$ me right off too - it should be done right. I have just started gaming Maltby DBM's and like them a lot. the really simple design is great - no gawdy decals or other crap on them.

Call me vain.

pretty sure it would pi$$ me right off too - it should be done right. I have just started gaming Maltby DBM's and like them a lot. the really simple design is great - no gawdy decals or other crap on them.

How high does your setup launch? I had the KE4 Tour +'s with the TT Score shafts. That combo launched really high causing some ballooning.

• 4 months later...

I keep bringing up old threads but im still interested in hearing about these

Still loving my black PTM's. Boring build with S300's and they're perfect.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

• 1 month later...
I have one of these heads in a 6 iron with the Nippon 950 GH and I keep it on the boat as a 'range' club.

My last few rounds my MMB Black 6 iron has given me fits but I'm killing the 7 iron. I'm sure it's in my head at this point. But this PTM 6 iron is comparatively so easy to hit.

Spent some time with the PTM and it launches well and has a boring flight. Compressing the ball makes this head feel effortless. I have yet to actually have them oncourse but will do so next time out. One thing that keeps coming to mind is how easy they are to hit.

• 1 month later...

I've gone from an 8.4 to a 6.6 since switching to the PTM's. Our pro commented this weekend that I've won at least one men's club KP each weekend since the start of the season.

Love everything about them.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry can't help, except that the PTMs are beautiful.

I have a set of the heads ready to go into some Recoil shafts. Been sitting there for a couple of months. However, I haven't built them yet because (1) my Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades have been so good, and (2) my garage is too hot this summer.

Sparky, I do like the TEs alot but I hope these ptms are at least as forgiving. I see you are low digit capper. I haven't kept an offical hcp for a number of years. My scores this year have averaged in mid 80s.

15 hcp

Sorry can't help, except that the PTMs are beautiful.

I have a set of the heads ready to go into some Recoil shafts. Been sitting there for a couple of months. However, I haven't built them yet because (1) my Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades have been so good, and (2) my garage is too hot this summer.

Sparky, I do like the TEs alot but I hope these ptms are at least as forgiving. I see you are low digit capper. I haven't kept an offical hcp for a number of years. My scores this year have averaged in mid 80s.

I did play the M05s and TEs for a couple of years, I consider them (and the Wishon 550c) the best of component land ever. I ever get around to the PTMs, then I'll have more insight. Visually, the PTM does look a bit larger with a bit more perimeter weighting. So I expect them to be more forgiving.