Naples course recommendations

2»

Comments

• ronnbeeronnbee Posts: 1,076 ✭✭
  • myphriendmikemyphriendmike Members Posts: 29 ✭✭
    I’m down here this week and have played Corkscrew and Raptor Bay. I’ve played Corkscrew a couple times but it still kicks my a**. It’d be a fun course to play regularly and not nearly as hard if you could remember all the layouts. Raptor Bay was fun enough but not memorable or particularly worth the cost. Almost every shot that missed the green ended up at the base of a massive drain funnel. Had to free-drop a couple times.

I made the mistake of not bringing my clubs and opting to rent. Both places assured me they had good sets, but I won’t be making that mistake again.

Last time I was down here I got on Bonita Bay East and Twin Eagles. As you can imagine it’s worth trying for the nicer clubs. Can’t bring myself to spend $280 on Tiburón.
  • nellycuznellycuz Pured Posts: 447 ✭✭

I’m down here this week and have played Corkscrew and Raptor Bay. I’ve played Corkscrew a couple times but it still kicks my a**. It’d be a fun course to play regularly and not nearly as hard if you could remember all the layouts. Raptor Bay was fun enough but not memorable or particularly worth the cost. Almost every shot that missed the green ended up at the base of a massive drain funnel. Had to free-drop a couple times.

I made the mistake of not bringing my clubs and opting to rent. Both places assured me they had good sets, but I won’t be making that mistake again.

Last time I was down here I got on Bonita Bay East and Twin Eagles. As you can imagine it’s worth trying for the nicer clubs. Can’t bring myself to spend $280 on Tiburón.

Was Corkscrew in good condition? Playing there next Wednesday. I have GPS on my phone with a good layout of each hole so hopefully that will help me a little bit.
    '17 M2 10.5 Rogue Black Stiff
    '17 M2 16.5 HL 3W
    913hd 19* Hybrid
    714 AP2 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Scotty Cameron Newport '16
  • myphriendmikemyphriendmike Members Posts: 29 ✭✭
    nellycuz wrote:

Was Corkscrew in good condition? Playing there next Wednesday. I have GPS on my phone with a good layout of each hole so hopefully that will help me a little bit.

Fine condition. They have GPS carts, which help but none of that holds up against knowing the course. There’s so much going on out there (bunkers and hazards cutting in and out) that the maps don’t do justice and on at least one shot they screwed up my aim. Target golf at its best. Don’t be afraid to tee it forward. You’ll have plenty of challenge and a little more fun.
  • I played Calusa over the weekend. I'm lucky cause I have a good friend who's a member so I've played it a bunch.

Anyway, they had something called extreme day earlier in the week which they setup the course as hard as possible. Greens were rock had and lightning, maybe the quickest greens I've ever played on.

It's a very special place and has an unreal locker room.
  • BettorThanMostBettorThanMost Members Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Corkscrew is the cream of the crop for public tracks down there. Yes, its ridiculously hard. I was a member there for a year and my handicap doubled. But if you make peace with that going into it, you'll have a great time. One of very few courses (that don't have a six-figure initiation fee) out there with zero houses on the course.
  • bvanbvan Members Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Waterball6 wrote:

I played Calusa over the weekend. I'm lucky cause I have a good friend who's a member so I've played it a bunch.

Anyway, they had something called extreme day earlier in the week which they setup the course as hard as possible. Greens were rock had and lightning, maybe the quickest greens I've ever played on.

How was the region, rain wise? What I mean is have they been getting any rain? Heading down first weekend in May and hoping for green courses instead of spray painted blue-green toxicity...
  • bvan wrote:

Waterball6 wrote:

I played Calusa over the weekend. I'm lucky cause I have a good friend who's a member so I've played it a bunch.

How was the region, rain wise? What I mean is have they been getting any rain? Heading down first weekend in May and hoping for green courses instead of spray painted blue-green toxicity...

We got hammered with a pretty good rain one afternoon but it wasn't enough to make a dent. From my understanding is they haven't gotten any rain, the ponds were very low.

Courses are in good shape though.
  • Played Bonita National back in February and it was a pretty nice track. It is semi-private right now until XX% more houses get sold and goes full private supposedly. Worth checking out and I think I paid about 130$ for the round in the afternoon.
  • nellycuznellycuz Pured Posts: 447 ✭✭
    Just got back to Ohio after playing Old Corkscrew in Estero last week. Thoroughly enjoyed myself, and not only because I got a hole in 1 on #2!! It was a great track, greens were some of the most undulated I've experienced but they rolled so true and pretty quick. Course was in great condition and had excellent practice area. Loved it and will definitely be back if I'm ever in that area again. They said they had an 8 foot anaconda on the course the other day so I didn't go wandering after any lost balls. Saw some gators too. Great track and experience. Sorry some picks are sideways.
    '17 M2 10.5 Rogue Black Stiff
    '17 M2 16.5 HL 3W
    913hd 19* Hybrid
    714 AP2 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Scotty Cameron Newport '16
  • warrio17warrio17 Posts: 369 ✭✭
    nellycuz wrote:

Just got back to Ohio after playing Old Corkscrew in Estero last week. Thoroughly enjoyed myself, and not only because I got a hole in 1 on #2!! It was a great track, greens were some of the most undulated I've experienced but they rolled so true and pretty quick. Course was in great condition and had excellent practice area. Loved it and will definitely be back if I'm ever in that area again. They said they had an 8 foot anaconda on the course the other day so I didn't go wandering after any lost balls. Saw some gators too. Great track and experience. Sorry some picks are sideways.

Old Corkscrew is a great track. Tough course. Congrats on the Ace.
    SYalW6s.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Epic SubZero 9* Fujikura Atmos Blue label 7X[/font]
    SYalW6s.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Epic SubZero 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue label 8X[/font]
    taylormade_small_logo_blk.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Tour Preferred UDI 2 Iron 18* UST Mamiya Prototype Utility 110F5[/font]
    taylormade_small_logo_blk.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] RescueDual TP 2 Hybrid 18* True Temper Project X HB6 (interchanges with the UDI)[/font]
    iDRdfVu.png [font=courier new,courier,monospace]JPX 900 Forged 4-GW 1* weak KBS C-Taper X 130g[/font]
    R9admPL.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Vokey Design V Grind SM6 54* KBS 2.0 HiRev X[/font]
    R9admPL.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Vokey Design V Grind SM6 58* KBS 2.0 HiRev X[/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Circle T 009M Chromatic Bronze Flojet Neck 35" A041795 (Gamer)[/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Tour Newport Slant Neck Crown "O"[/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Futura X5 Chromatic Bronze Slant Neck Custom [/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Chromatic Blue 1995 1st Run Coronado[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]i[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nstagram: @westongarner[/font]
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,398 ✭✭
    Congrats on the ace!!
    ronnbee wrote:

Nothing tops Calusa

This is true. Have you played Calusa Pines?
    SYalW6s.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Epic SubZero 9* Fujikura Atmos Blue label 7X[/font]
    SYalW6s.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Epic SubZero 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue label 8X[/font]
    taylormade_small_logo_blk.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Tour Preferred UDI 2 Iron 18* UST Mamiya Prototype Utility 110F5[/font]
    taylormade_small_logo_blk.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] RescueDual TP 2 Hybrid 18* True Temper Project X HB6 (interchanges with the UDI)[/font]
    iDRdfVu.png [font=courier new,courier,monospace]JPX 900 Forged 4-GW 1* weak KBS C-Taper X 130g[/font]
    R9admPL.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Vokey Design V Grind SM6 54* KBS 2.0 HiRev X[/font]
    R9admPL.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Vokey Design V Grind SM6 58* KBS 2.0 HiRev X[/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Circle T 009M Chromatic Bronze Flojet Neck 35" A041795 (Gamer)[/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Tour Newport Slant Neck Crown "O"[/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Futura X5 Chromatic Bronze Slant Neck Custom [/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Chromatic Blue 1995 1st Run Coronado[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]i[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nstagram: @westongarner[/font]
    2 years ago 3 days in a row and One day atHide- out
    ronnbee wrote:

Thats great. I have played there once probably 10 years ago. Do you have a contact there or a connection that you wouldn’t mind sharing. I live in Naples full time and would love to get out there again this summer.

Thanks

• OcRockRollerOcRockRoller Humble Donkey Posts: 174 ✭✭
    warrio17 wrote:

ronnbee wrote:

Thats great. I have played there once probably 10 years ago. Do you have a contact there or a connection that you wouldn’t mind sharing. I live in Naples full time and would love to get out there again this summer.

Thanks

The club closes during the summer months
  • OcRockRollerOcRockRoller Humble Donkey Posts: 174 ✭✭
    nellycuz wrote:

Great pictures, you really captured the course nicely. And congrats on the 1! On a tough hole location as well
    bvan wrote:

Waterball6 wrote:

Yeah, I live in Naples full time. We haven't had much rain thus far. I can probably count them... Rainy season will begin mid May throughout the summer. Lakes and ponds are very low. In my opinion, right now is the best time as the courses are usually in the best shaping coming out of busy season and dry.. playing hard and fast.

Where are you playing while you are down here?

warrio17 wrote:

ronnbee wrote:

Thats great. I have played there once probably 10 years ago. Do you have a contact there or a connection that you wouldn't mind sharing. I live in Naples full time and would love to get out there again this summer.

Thanks

The club closes during the summer months

I wouldn't mind playing outside of the summer.. questions still is open.. Do you have a way to play there?

warrio17 wrote:

ronnbee wrote:

Thanks
    ITS CLOSED NOW
  • PThomasPThomas ClubWRX Posts: 776 ClubWRX
    Heading down to Naples Easter week and looking to get out at least once so I am looking at TPC Treviso or Tiburon. Does anyone have a preference? I wish I had some connections down there but not going to hold my breath in hope something works out for any of the privates.

I'll be teeing it up alone so if anyone has interest shoot me a message.
    2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
    M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
    TM P790 UDI #2
    TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
    Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
    TM Spider Putter
  • Very excited to be headed down this way next weekend and escape the midwest cold! I've heard the weather has been unusually warm which is perfect image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Ping G30 Driver
    Tour Edge Exotics 3W
    Tour Edge Exotics Driving Iron
    Bridgestone J15 4-PW
    Fourteen Wedge (52, 56, 60)
    Ping Ketsch
  • FerrettsFerretts Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Links of naples!!! Night golf is where its at!
2»