New Snell Golf Balls in 2018

Comments

• mikeberlinmikeberlin Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Looking forward to the trail pack. Love the performance of MTB and improvements based on feedback can only be helpful. Is it 60* outside yet? Come on spring!
  • Snell GolfSnell Golf Sponsors Posts: 546 ✭✭
    thanks.. check out the website on Monday, jan 15th... we are suppose to go live with all the information then.
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,623 ✭✭
    mikeberlin wrote:

Looking forward to the trail pack. Love the performance of MTB and improvements based on feedback can only be helpful. Is it 60* outside yet? Come on spring!

It is 63 at noon in So Cal. Reaching up to 71 today. Of course sunny. :P
    WWG1 WGA
  • PawtucketPawtucket Members Posts: 177
    Hope there are some deals for us Canadian's too! The holiday deals were VERY different for US vs Canada...like, we got hosed eh!
    whats in the bag?
    Cobra f8+ cut 1"
    Cobra F7 fairway
    Srixon z355
    Cleveland 48 wedge
    Ping 54 wedge
    Ping 58 ES wedge
    TM Soto putter
  • mikeberlinmikeberlin Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    flushem wrote:

mikeberlin wrote:

*sigh*
  • ob18ob18 Members Posts: 1,630 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2018 #37
    flushem wrote:

mikeberlin wrote:

I won't see 71 till maybe April
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]10* Callaway XR Driver
    15* Nickent 3 Wood
    18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
    Callaway Roque - 5 iron to A wedge
    54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges

Odyssey O-Works Red #7 Tank Putter
    Srixon Q-Star Tour[/font]
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    -11*C here today?! image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the new balls. Needing to purchase some new balls very soon now, too (checked the golf bag today). I'm guessing that MTB Red is going to be a rocket.
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
  • exnyawkerexnyawker Members Posts: 6
    Will have to give them a try.Four degrees this morning
  • monks66monks66 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭
    I wonder how the current MTB and the MTB Black differ in specs and performance? would seem to me they would be very close in performance...i am getting the Reds in hopes its a rebadged TM RED LDP!
    The MTB has been very successful and well liked so I did not want to make a huge change and take that out of the line up... the biggest thing we heard from people with respect to MTB was driver spin could be lowered... but dont change anything else... second was can we keep driver but add more approach iron spin, but keep spin around green same.. third was can we make tour ball in yellow... so MTB BLACK will be lower with Driver spin... this should help make the distancea little longer, but also may fit more players who have trouble with spin with their drivers.. The feel is also a little softer from tee to green due to the core compression being lowered...

MTB RED is similar driver spin to the original MTB, but we added the 4th layer to add spin to the approach shots.. 6, 7, 8, 9 PW AW and full SW shots will be higher in spin than MTB BLACK... around the greens they become similar again...

We did create the test pack which allows you to have 2 sleeves of each model, and have a chance to give it a full 9 hole test...
  • Ernie1060Ernie1060 Members Posts: 341 ✭✭
    Pretty excited for a trial pack. I also still have 3.5 dozen original MTBs so I think it will be a while before I get to try these new models.
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,071 ✭✭
    Snell Golf wrote:

The MTB has been very successful and well liked so I did not want to make a huge change and take that out of the line up... the biggest thing we heard from people with respect to MTB was driver spin could be lowered... but dont change anything else... second was can we keep driver but add more approach iron spin, but keep spin around green same.. third was can we make tour ball in yellow... so MTB BLACK will be lower with Driver spin... this should help make the distancea little longer, but also may fit more players who have trouble with spin with their drivers.. The feel is also a little softer from tee to green due to the core compression being lowered...

MTB RED is similar driver spin to the original MTB, but we added the 4th layer to add spin to the approach shots.. 6, 7, 8, 9 PW AW and full SW shots will be higher in spin than MTB BLACK... around the greens they become similar again...

We did create the test pack which allows you to have 2 sleeves of each model, and have a chance to give it a full 9 hole test...

So is it too simplistic to say that on little 30, 40, 50 yard shots around the green, the amount of spin is pretty much determined by the cover?

More specifically, when you make changes inside to the number or type of mantle layers or the core compression as long as you keep the cover the same the short game behavior will not change?
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
    i was all for the reds, but now seeing the new black specs, loving low driver spin

Snell Golf wrote:

So is it too simplistic to say that on little 30, 40, 50 yard shots around the green, the amount of spin is pretty much determined by the cover?

More specifically, when you make changes inside to the number or type of mantle layers or the core compression as long as you keep the cover the same the short game behavior will not change?

The cover plays a key role in the short game spin.. it works with the outer firmer mantle layer to pinch and create spin on these shots... when a driver is hit, the impact is well into the core of the ball and the core and mantle layers control the spin... now when mid and short approach shots are hit, it is a combo of the cover and mantle layers that control that spin... so we play with the layers, materials in the layers, thicknesses of these layers, etc to create the desired performance..But long answer short, the soft urethane covers does help this short game feel, spin and control.
  • vartanickvartanick Members Posts: 146 ✭✭
    monks66 wrote:

i was all for the reds, but now seeing the new black specs, loving low driver spin

Same here
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members Posts: 1,774 ✭✭
    Snell Golf wrote:

Ordered the test pack and cant wait for it to arrive (actually, I can, as the ground is covered with snow...). You say that the new Black is softer in feel compared to the original MTB, but how does the Red compare to the original? I was a huge fan of the feel around the green and off the putter, and the slight increase in firmness helped draw me away from the Chromesoft as my everyday ball.
    Callaway Epic SZ 11* ACCRA TZ6 
    Callaway Epic Flash 17* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
    TM TP UDI 21* Nunchuk Xi
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 52, 58 Nippon Modus 115
    Byron Morgan 612
    Sun Mountain 3.5/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • phil75070phil75070 Members Posts: 1,890 ✭✭
    Found this article from 2009 where Dean is quoted discussing the Black and Red Taylormades:

https://tinyurl.com/y9pda4y9
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,237 ✭✭
    Snell Golf wrote:

What is the compression on the two new balls? Kudos for adding a yellow choice for a tour ball. But, why did you decide to use it on the 4 piece ball and not the 3 piece one?
  • Rich DouglasRich Douglas Members Posts: 324 ✭✭
    Tanner25 wrote:

Snell Golf wrote:

What is the compression on the two new balls? Kudos for adding a yellow choice for a tour ball. But, why did you decide to use it on the 4 piece ball and not the 3 piece one?

The Red is a very different ball, thus I suspect Snell expects it to be a lot more popular than the Black. If that is the case, it would also seem the market for a yellow ball would be more robust for the Red vs. the Black. If Snell couldn't see themselves doing both in yellow, doing it in the Red makes sense.
    Driver: Titleist 917 D3 (Aldila Rogue MAX 65)
    2W: TM Mini Driver
    3H: Ping G410 (19 degrees)
    Irons: Wishon Sterling Single Length 4I-LW
    Putter: Bloodline (mallet)
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft
  • GMRGMR Members Posts: 1,053 ✭✭
    I'd be really keen to try these balls, especially the Yellow MTB Red. Unfortunately the economic argument doesn't really apply here in the UK with the MTBs at £30 while I can pick up dozen yellow Z-Stars (my ordinary gamer) at £25... Still sounds like Snell's onto something good with these offerings.
  • jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,548 ✭✭

Tanner25 wrote:

Snell Golf wrote:

The Red is a very different ball, thus I suspect Snell expects it to be a lot more popular than the Black. If that is the case, it would also seem the market for a yellow ball would be more robust for the Red vs. the Black. If Snell couldn't see themselves doing both in yellow, doing it in the Red makes sense.

From what I understand it's much harder to create a yellow thermocast ball (MTB Black) and easier to paint the TPU ball (MTB Red). That's more likely why it's available in yellow. I seem to remember Dean explaining this as well a few months ago.
    Red is made in a factory they did not use for the original MTB, innit?
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I'm gatherin the new MTB Black will be more like the Project a. If that's the case, that's very good.
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
    the red was the ball i thought i would like, but now i think the black will suit my game, i want as low driver spin as i can get, with good wedge spin. its softer then the red and the current mtb....i think this will be the ball i will test
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    monks66 wrote:

the red was the ball i thought i would like, but now i think the black will suit my game, i want as low driver spin as i can get, with good wedge spin. its softer then the red and the current mtb....i think this will be the ball i will test

Get the sample pack - you never know. You might like the red.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    Canadian website not updated, looks like we can't get the new ones yet!? And the older versions are $235/6dz. vs. $150 in the US?! Something wrong here!? image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • rlee323rlee323 Members Posts: 133 ✭✭
    I would be interested to hear from Dean regarding MTB Black having the Cast Urethane cover and the MTB Red having the Thermoplastic Urethane. Is the use case performance wise going away from cast with the improved TPU formulas? Supposedly, TM/Titleist still use cast with everyone else (bridgestone/callaway/srixon) using TPU.
    Titleist recently kinda, sorta "released" their first ever yellow Urethane ball. I wonder if it had a TPU cover.

To date everyone, including MTB Red, with a yellow urethane cover has had (as far as I can figure out) the TPU formulation. The models with cast thermoset, including MTB Black, are always white-only.

Or at least it seems that way. Complete information on cover formulations is not easily available across the board. And very few (read zero) makers are as forthcoming as Dean!
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    i assume the cast urethane is the softest of the urethane options