Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf (JNPG) Simulator: Info and GC2 Trial

Comments

• drewtaylor21drewtaylor21 I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious Members Posts: 2,840 ✭✭

sdrthedj wrote:

Good Afternoon. I recently bought a GC2 and was excited to have an option other than FSX to use it on my computer. I downloaded JNPG but there is no option to use GC2, I only see SkyTrack and Trackman as input options. I know the website for Perfect Golf says that it is NOT compatible with GC2, but I had heard that was just there for legal reasons. Is there a set up workaround for this? Thanks in advance!

Did you purchase the sim pass?

I have not purchased the sim pass, only the game. I am trying to make sure my GC2 will connect before I spend 250 on the sim pass. It is only giving me Skytrack and Trackman as input options.

You need the OGT interface. There should still be a free trial for GC2 users, check the links earlier on in the thread here. Also, don't go on the golfsimforum looking for any help, you'll just get banned for talking about JNPG. If you'd like help, get the Discord app and join the OGT group (again, links earlier in thread). Lots of guys there who are able to help at all hours.
    Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
    2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
    TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
    TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
    Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
    Spider Tour Platinum 35"
    TP5x/Snell MTB

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en
  • agolfmanagolfman Members Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Good thread and info here.

I had a couple of questions about integration with a Flightscope X2...

- will JNPG work without Flightscope PC software, i.e., is there a direct integration from the JNPG software to the Flightscope? I do not own their software...only an iPad user for VX and Skills (which are great, but aging...)

- seems like it is Mac OS compatible, correct?

- Can the JNPG run without internet connection...only because I would be using the Mac (or PC) WiFi connection to connect to my Flightscope?

Many thanks for any help with this!
    Cobra Fly Z w/Accra DyMatch 2.0
    TM Slider TS 14* w/Speeder Evolution3
    Titleist 910 hybrid 19*
    Ben Hogan VKTR 21*
    Bridgestone J40s w/Aerotech i80s
    Ben Hogan TK15 52*, 56*, and 59*
    Edel Columbia w/adjustable weighting
  • stingreyestingreye Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2018 #94
    It should work I would think.

- Not sure about Flightscope but I don't know of any sim hardware that works with Macs. You can use Bootcamp to run windows on mac hardware. Sim is pretty hard on graphics cards so you might have to turn down graphics to get decent frame rates.

- You need an internet connection to authenticate LM with Perfect Golf I think (at least that's how it work on GC2's).

- Flightscope I think is still beta access so you will need to request Beta access.

Here is the Link from Perfect Golf about Flightscope. Maybe ask there? EDIT - Looks like you found that thread. Good luck hopefully they will get you going quickly.

http://www.perfectpa...ightscope-beta/

THe other place to check would be the discord welcome channel for Perfect Golf. Maybe a tour admin can help you.

Good luck!

agolfman wrote:

- will JNPG work without Flightscope PC software, i.e., is there a direct integration from the JNPG software to the Flightscope? I do not own their software...only an iPad user for VX and Skills (which are great, but aging...)

- Can the JNPG run without internet connection...only because I would be using the Mac (or PC) WiFi connection to connect to my Flightscope?

• agolfmanagolfman Members Posts: 134 ✭✭
    stingreye wrote:

It should work I would think.

- Not sure about Flightscope but I don't know of any sim hardware that works with Macs. You can use Bootcamp to run windows on mac hardware. Sim is pretty hard on graphics cards so you might have to turn down graphics to get decent frame rates.

- You need an internet connection to authenticate LM with Perfect Golf I think (at least that's how it work on GC2's).

- Flightscope I think is still beta access so you will need to request Beta access.

Here is the Link from Perfect Golf about Flightscope. Maybe ask there? EDIT - Looks like you found that thread. Good luck hopefully they will get you going quickly.

http://www.perfectpa...ightscope-beta/

THe other place to check would be the discord welcome channel for Perfect Golf. Maybe a tour admin can help you.

Good luck!

agolfman wrote:

Excellent and thank you very much! I wasn't familiar with any Sims that were Mac friendly until I sort of put 2 + 2 together and speculated because Steam offered a Mac download of JNPG, it could be possible. But that could be out the window, if I require the FS Beta download...

You've at least given me a good start! On another note, I'm three years into Flightscope and see them slowly not keeping up...makes me worried about how much they are investing in anything (couple new products aside...).
    Cobra Fly Z w/Accra DyMatch 2.0
    TM Slider TS 14* w/Speeder Evolution3
    Titleist 910 hybrid 19*
    Ben Hogan VKTR 21*
    Bridgestone J40s w/Aerotech i80s
    Ben Hogan TK15 52*, 56*, and 59*
    Edel Columbia w/adjustable weighting
  • johngalt312johngalt312 Member ClubWRX Posts: 364 ClubWRX
    I just downloanded Steam and JNPG and bought the season pass but cannot get the computer (which has Bluetooth) to find/pair with the GC2. I am going to go buy this: http://www.microcenter.com/product/426849/usb-bt400-usb-20-bluetooth-40-adapter as I think that this will allow it to work. Is that correct?

I bought that GC2/HMT/FSX 2018/Dell Laptop package from a few weeks back (along with some accessories) and picked up six new courses yesterday (all local IL courses that I have played (except for one)). I will be building out one basement section with a simulator enclosure/screen/projector but as my setup sits right now:

G400 Max Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-P
    Glide 2.0 Wedges 52*, 58*
    Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
    Jani-King Towel
  • PoserPoser Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭

I just downloanded Steam and JNPG and bought the season pass but cannot get the computer (which has Bluetooth) to find/pair with the GC2. I am going to go buy this: http://www.microcent...ooth-40-adapter as I think that this will allow it to work. Is that correct?

I bought that GC2/HMT/FSX 2018/Dell Laptop package from a few weeks back (along with some accessories) and picked up six new courses yesterday (all local IL courses that I have played (except for one)). I will be building out one basement section with a simulator enclosure/screen/projector but as my setup sits right now:

It's possible foresight locked the bluetooth. I think I saw someone said something like that after they bought a refurbished one through them. They have the bluetooth locked out on the new quad so noone can use 3rd party software
    I
    Poser wrote:

I just downloanded Steam and JNPG and bought the season pass but cannot get the computer (which has Bluetooth) to find/pair with the GC2. I am going to go buy this: [url="http://www.microcenter.com/product/426849/usb-bt400-usb-20-bluetooth-40-adapter"]http://www.microcent...ooth-40-adapter[/url] as I think that this will allow it to work. Is that correct?

It's possible foresight locked the bluetooth. I think I saw someone said something like that after they bought a refurbished one through them. They have the bluetooth locked out on the new quad so noone can use 3rd party software

I was able to discover/connect to my iPhone via Bluetooth (via the FS app).
    G400 Max Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-P
    Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
    Jani-King Towel
    I have the USB dongle/driver installed and connected the GC2 to the computer. I then connected the GC2 to PG but nothing registers when hitting a ball. Let the troubleshooting commence...
    G400 Max Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-P
    Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
    Jani-King Towel
    Got it up and running. Graphics superior to FSX.
    G400 Max Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-P
    Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
    Jani-King Towel
  • sdrthedjsdrthedj Members Posts: 312 ✭✭

Head over to OGT. https://simulation.onlinegolftour.net/index.html

They are wrapping up the summer tour in the next couple weeks. Will give you more than enough time to complete Q-school and be on the winter tour. Great group of people. They use discord and you can usually get your questions answered, especially setup and technical questions very quickly.

Poser wrote:

I just downloanded Steam and JNPG and bought the season pass but cannot get the computer (which has Bluetooth) to find/pair with the GC2. I am going to go buy this: http://www.microcent...ooth-40-adapter as I think that this will allow it to work. Is that correct?

They have not locked bluetooth on GC2, including refurb's.
    sdrthedj wrote:

Head over to OGT. https://simulation.onlinegolftour.net/index.html

They are wrapping up the summer tour in the next couple weeks. Will give you more than enough time to complete Q-school and be on the winter tour. Great group of people. They use discord and you can usually get your questions answered, especially setup and technical questions very quickly.

Poser wrote:

Have registered - thanks.
    G400 Max Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-P
    Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
    Jani-King Towel

sdrthedj wrote:

Head over to OGT. https://simulation.o....net/index.html

Poser wrote:

Have registered - thanks.

Awesome. Tour is fun, discord is great.

Your space for your sim is awesome. I'm jealous.
  • golfnhackgolfnhack Members Posts: 2,521 ✭✭
    edited Aug 17, 2018 #104
    This thread makes me sad... but not for the reasons you think.

You see... I am a video game developer. To be more specific, I worked for EA for 17 years. My avatar is actually the image of me as a playable character in Tiger Woods golf 2009 for X360/PS3. I pitched many of the exact concepts (and much more) to EA. I am not going to go into history here. Let's just say I ended up never completing a year on the TW dev team. And there were 2 attempts to do so. One in 2008 where Tiburon first took over development, and another attempt in 2013 when EA switched to the Frostbite Engine. The only thing I will say about that is that what happened both time threw me into a deep depression, which was very hard to recover from. My passion for working on the game cost me my career at EA.

I am happy that someone has now implemented what I had envisioned (for the most part). It is however too expensive, and they will definitely need to adjust their pricing. They would be better off making the base product cheaper, and charging a "per course" fee. They would sell a **** of a lot more, and in the long run make more money. People get bored with courses, so if you charge per course, and have 10 times more people playing, you would make more money in the long run.
    "Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones
  • wundejwundej ClubWRX Posts: 3,749 ClubWRX

Care to share the issues in case someone else runs into them? I also bought the GC2/HMT/FSX bundle but would be interested in checking out JNPG.

wundej wrote:

Care to share the issues in case someone else runs into them? I also bought the GC2/HMT/FSX bundle but would be interested in checking out JNPG.

Other than an issue getting gc2 connected to computer, it should only be a matter of making sure the correct input and output com ports are set. With OGT it's even easier. Great community over there and the winter tour starts in about 7 weeks.
  • drewtaylor21drewtaylor21 I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious Members Posts: 2,840 ✭✭
    golfnhack wrote:

This thread makes me sad... but not for the reasons you think.

You see... I am a video game developer. To be more specific, I worked for EA for 17 years. My avatar is actually the image of me as a playable character in Tiger Woods golf 2009 for X360/PS3. I pitched many of the exact concepts (and much more) to EA. I am not going to go into history here. Let's just say I ended up never completing a year on the TW dev team. And there were 2 attempts to do so. One in 2008 where Tiburon first took over development, and another attempt in 2013 when EA switched to the Frostbite Engine. The only thing I will say about that is that what happened both time threw me into a deep depression, which was very hard to recover from. My passion for working on the game cost me my career at EA.

I am happy that someone has now implemented what I had envisioned (for the most part). It is however too expensive, and they will definitely need to adjust their pricing. They would be better off making the base product cheaper, and charging a "per course" fee. They would sell a **** of a lot more, and in the long run make more money. People get bored with courses, so if you charge per course, and have 10 times more people playing, you would make more money in the long run.

Well I'm certainly no expert but as far as opinions go I have to disagree with you here. From a current market perspective, JNPG is by far the cheapest option out there at $250/year, and I personally like the annual subscription model over a 4x more expensive one-time purchase (TGC). The sim market is very niche as it is, and people are shelling out thousands of dollars to get up and running, so I really don't think $250 is a hurdle that many are balking at. The launch monitor is the primary item that keeps most out of the game, as that's a $2500-$20k+ pricetag. e6 and Foresight both offer hefty per-course fees and the market has shown that consumers don't like that.

I also love the fact that users can create their own courses in JNPG based on LiDAR data - I can re-create my home course if I want, I don't have to depend on the game owners/creators to decide what courses are or aren't worthwhile. They have a pretty solid review process before courses are rolled out too, so quality control is in place and the product continues to improve as a result.

Unfortunate to hear about the depression you've battled though, I hope things are better for you these days!
    Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
    2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
    TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
    TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
    Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
    Spider Tour Platinum 35"
    TP5x/Snell MTB

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,923 ✭✭
    Not going to speak to the relative value of the different option packages but I for one strongly dislike the subscription model. It allows the software companies to get lazy and complacent by ensuring future revenue w/o having to really earn it. I personally don't want to pay for future releases until I KNOW I'm going to get some appreciable benefit from it. Sometimes the competition alone can ensure such progress and counteract that complacency but it doesn't do as well in a such a small market like golf sims since (relatively speaking) the competition is minimal - especially after you consider how many software packages support your particular sensor (the real high value item).
  • wundejwundej ClubWRX Posts: 3,749 ClubWRX
    Stuart G. wrote:

Not going to speak to the relative value of the different option packages but I for one strongly dislike the subscription model. It allows the software companies to get lazy and complacent by ensuring future revenue w/o having to really earn it. I personally don't want to pay for future releases until I KNOW I'm going to get some appreciable benefit from it. Sometimes the competition alone can ensure such progress and counteract that complacency but it doesn't do as well in a such a small market like golf sims since (relatively speaking) the competition is minimal - especially after you consider how many software packages support your particular sensor (the real high value item).

Completely agree. Subscription is rarely good for the consumer. The only situation where it makes sense is when you only need seldom use of the software (like a design software or a sim software for winter months). In this case they charge you annually. I personally would use sim much more in the winter months and would rather see something as a monthly option.

In the Sim world, most of the normal software strategies don't apply anyway. Look at FSX, TGC, and JNPG. They all use different strategies. Foresight charges a ton for the platform and then you have to buy courses. TGC charges a one time fee and you get a lot of courses. JNPG is a subscription and you get courses free. I'd personally like to rent a course each time I play instead of spending hundreds per course for FSX. I'll wait until sales, but the fact that they charge $500 for the Pebble courses is nuts.
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,923 ✭✭
    edited Aug 22, 2018 #110
    Subscription models also play a big role in industry dependent software where continuous support is a necessity to protect against any negative impact on productivity - but that's not something the average recreational consumer has to worry about.

I can see the appeal for some, but the rental option wouldn't be my preferences - unless there was both an option to buy as well as rent. Rent the course to play it once to check it out and if you like it, you can buy it. Based on past experiences, my winter sim group liked rotating courses but it was more like a rotation through the small subset of courses we liked compared to all the courses that were available. Also the concept of 'buying' implies some potential for equity (resale value) in the purchase even though there might be a lot of depreciation due to future upgrades. which also opens the possibility to save money by buying "used". I saved a significant amount of money buying an e6 license second hand. Although unfortunately even TruGolf seems to be moving to a subscription model for their next release.
    wundej wrote:

Had to uninstall the Intel Bluetooth software that came preinstalled on the Dell G3 laptop (from Foresight) and then the external Bluetooth dongle - post its driver installation - was able to locate and properly pair with the GC2.
    G400 Max Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-P
    Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
    Jani-King Towel
    edited Oct 11, 2018 #112
    Simulator Tour has now started it's winter season's second event. Head over to https://simulation.onlinegolftour.net/ to get more information!
    Trying to register now.
    G400 Max Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-P
    Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
    Jani-King Towel
    In Q School. I get better results in FSX it seems.
    G400 Max Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-P
    Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
    Jani-King Towel

In Q School. I get better results in FSX it seems.

Better results meaning, score?
    No, shot details/shot results.
    G400 Max Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-P
    Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
    Jani-King Towel
    In terms of displaying all the data in the screen after each shot? The OGT interface keeps track of all details and you can put that on the screen so you always have it.
  • jtirishjtirish Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Great thread here! Have my GC2 coming next week and looking forward to getting up and running with JNPG. If anyone has PC/laptop recommendations for running JNPG please shoot me a note.
    jtirish wrote:

Great thread here! Have my GC2 coming next week and looking forward to getting up and running with JNPG. If anyone has PC/laptop recommendations for running JNPG please shoot me a note.

core i5, 16gb and 1060. More is better after that image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • jtirishjtirish Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Got myself up and running with GC2 and JNPG/OGT this week - highly recomend to anyone considering!

• Some of you may be aware of this Sim software already, and I've discussed it in several threads, but thought it would be helpful to start a dedicated resource thread here on an unbiased forum for anyone who may be interested. For those who may not be aware, there is a lack of objective info about this software on the golf sim forum, as they are financially tied to The Golf Club (TGC), a competing software. Talk of JNPG on that forum results in content being edited/deleted and users banned. Thus, here we are!

Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf (JNPG) is a computer game available for purchase on Steam for a $35 one time fee. The game can be found here: [url="http://store.steampowered.com/app/288140/Jack_Nicklaus_Perfect_Golf/"]http://store.steampo...s_Perfect_Golf/[/url]

Once in the game, users have the option of going to the Pro Shop to purchase the annual Sim pass for $250. This enables the user to play the game via connection to a personal launch monitor (GC2, Skytrak, Flightscope, Trackman).

I am trying to connect my GC Quad to the game but can’t figure it out. Anyone have any advice here?

Currently, GC2 users also have the option of a $20 trial run of the software, which can also be purchased in the Pro Shop in-game. Easy step-by-step:

[url="http://onlinegolftour.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3687&p=44560&hilit=trial#p44560"]http://onlinegolftou...it=trial#p44560[/url]

Another huge benefit to JNPG is the connection to the OnlineGolfTour (OGT), which in my opinion is what really makes this software the best option on the market. OGT offers the user an additional driving range with club fitting mode, full stat tracking during tournament play, trackman-style combines with live leaderboards, and a very competitive weekly tour that hosts 2-round tournaments that follow the PGA Tour schedule. There are currently about 50 guys involved in the weekly events, which offer both a net and gross winner each week, and often include CTP and Long Drive competitions for some additional bragging rights. Active tournaments, information, and leaderboards can be found here: [url="http://www.simulation.onlinegolftour.net/tournaments.html?id=10036"]http://www.simulatio...s.html?id=10036[/url]

Here is a look at the combines and an example of one of the combine leaderboards (shameless plug)

[url="https://discord.gg/veTtjdU"]https://discord.gg/veTtjdU[/url] Someone is always playing or trying to organize a round, which is easy, as JNPG offer multiplayer options such as scrambles, alternate shot, hazard golf, or just a plain old round on any number of the 200+ courses that are available. Courses are designed using LIDAR data for maximum real-life accuracy, and are continuously being developed and tested for release. I will create another post below with the current real-life courses that are available.

Here is a stream of mine that shows game play and graphics:

[media=]

I'll be adding more to this thread to go into more depth on some of the features of JNPG/OGT, but if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Everyone is welcome, of course, but I'm going to be selfish for a second here and say that I'd really love to see some more low handicappers joining so that we can get even better gross competitions going in these winter months!

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />