2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Project X 7.0 vs DG X7

Dcoop86

I’ve been lurking and posting a bit asking about iron shafts so I figured I’d try to get some advice in a new thread. I’m currently playing the C Taper 130x in my irons (Taylormade 2014 mb) and I’m looking to reduce spin and gain stability. I know the C Taper is in the same category as the other two but the only reason I went with it was because it’s the only one of them I could test.

My quick stats would be a swing speed of about 130mph with the driver (averaging 126-128) and easily 110mph with my 6 iron. I’m tall (6’4”) and have a slightly steeper swing but nothing crazy. I launch the ball high (hit an apex of 180 feet occasionally with the 6 iron) and spin the ball like crazy. My driver is an ATMOS 7x black tipped 1.25” and 3 wood is ATMOS 8tx tipped 2”.

With all that said I still can’t find either of these shafts to test since no one carries them. I can get two clubs built up but that’s just adding cost to an already expensive set of irons. I’m hoping to gain some insight about performance between the two. All the threads I’ve read make it seem like they both cut spin and lower launch (X7 may reduce both more than PX?) and really the only complaint I’ve heard about PX is its “boardy” which doesn’t concern me since the C Tapers feel almost loose to me. If anyone knows where I can find these shafts to test in California I’m all ears. Otherwise are there any comments about why you’d choose one over the other outside of the all to subjective “feel”?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s a great point, I’ve never tried the 6.5 but will certainly try to get around one. So far it seems like fitters carry next to nothing for the faster speeds. I essentially ordered my woods based on assumptions and getting my hands on a 757 speeder. So far that’s a the best advice I’ve gotten so I’ll certa try to find a PX 6.5

I’ve been lurking and posting a bit asking about iron shafts so I figured I’d try to get some advice in a new thread. I’m currently playing the C Taper 130x in my irons (Taylormade 2014 mb) and I’m looking to reduce spin and gain stability. I know the C Taper is in the same category as the other two but the only reason I went with it was because it’s the only one of them I could test.

My quick stats would be a swing speed of about 130mph with the driver (averaging 126-128) and easily 110mph with my 6 iron. I’m tall (6’4”) and have a slightly steeper swing but nothing crazy. I launch the ball high (hit an apex of 180 feet occasionally with the 6 iron) and spin the ball like crazy. My driver is an ATMOS 7x black tipped 1.25” and 3 wood is ATMOS 8tx tipped 2”.

With all that said I still can’t find either of these shafts to test since no one carries them. I can get two clubs built up but that’s just adding cost to an already expensive set of irons. I’m hoping to gain some insight about performance between the two. All the threads I’ve read make it seem like they both cut spin and lower launch (X7 may reduce both more than PX?) and really the only complaint I’ve heard about PX is its “boardy” which doesn’t concern me since the C Tapers feel almost loose to me. If anyone knows where I can find these shafts to test in California I’m all ears. Otherwise are there any comments about why you’d choose one over the other outside of the all to subjective “feel”?

hirekogolf.com has the 7.0’s in stock if you want to try one.

I currently play the 7.0’s and I came from the ctaper 130 x. To me the ctapers felt loose and I spun them too much, but the px feel just right. I have never swung the x7’s, but I have never been a dg fan so I didn’t try them.

I currently play the 7.0’s and I came from the ctaper 130 x. To me the ctapers felt loose and I spun them too much, but the px feel just right. I have never swung the x7’s, but I have never been a dg fan so I didn’t try them.

This is like music to my ears! I feel the exact same way about the C Taper and I typically get responses saying I’m crazy. Trackman has my 6 iron “optimized” at a 225y carry but I hit it 205-210 strictly based on spin. Not that I need the distance, but that spin kills me in any sort of wind condition or soft greens. So I’m looking for a more stable flight, can still be high but it can’t float like it currently does.

I’m with you as well that DG typically feels loose to me, but I’ve only hit the X100 so to say the X7 is similar wouldn’t be fair. But hearing people say it feels less “boardy” makes me think I’ll like the PX

This is like music to my ears! I feel the exact same way about the C Taper and I typically get responses saying I’m crazy. Trackman has my 6 iron “optimized” at a 225y carry but I hit it 205-210 strictly based on spin. Not that I need the distance, but that spin kills me in any sort of wind condition or soft greens. So I’m looking for a more stable flight, can still be high but it can’t float like it currently does.

I’m with you as well that DG typically feels loose to me, but I’ve only hit the X100 so to say the X7 is similar wouldn’t be fair. But hearing people say it feels less “boardy” makes me think I’ll like the PX

I don’t think the px are boardy at all. For the lack of a better term they feel perfect for me.

Like you I had the same issues in the wind and sometimes on soft greens. With the px 7.0’s these issues are gone for the most part. I get a mid-high penetrating ball flight and right amount of spin. I would buy a shaft and test them, but based on what you’re saying I think you’ll like them.

Another thing, I did not like the px 6.5 at all! It was weird, but they just didn’t feel right.

Consider Nippon super peening blue? I play 2S14 shafts (heavier version of the SPB ) and built a 2 iron MP33 with a DG X7 (couldnt get a 2S14 for it). I like the X7, but it just doesn€™t have the feel of the Nippon. I cant comment on spin since I dont have monitor data, but I feel like the Nippons control better in the wind which to me is an indicator of less backspin. Have swung a few PX but not 7.0 so I cant comment on them.

Consider Nippon super peening blue? I play 2S14 shafts (heavier version of the SPB ) and built a 2 iron MP33 with a DG X7 (couldnt get a 2S14 for it). I like the X7, but it just doesn€™t have the feel of the Nippon. I cant comment on spin since I dont have monitor data, but I feel like the Nippons control better in the wind which to me is an indicator of less backspin. Have swung a few PX but not 7.0 so I cant comment on them.

Honestly I don’t know much about Nippon, always heard it spun a bit more than the others... or launched higher? But like I said I’ve only heard through friends and really haven’t considered it but I should look into it

I tried the px 7.0s they are really harsh and i had elbow problems with them. Didn’t have a problem with stiffness. The nippon spbs ballooned on me I played the 2s14 as well but they are just so heavy it gets tough in the long irons. Haven’t played the x7s but not a dg fan either. Right now I’m playing steelfiber 125x and they r the bees knees. Nice mid ball flight but don’t over spin. Stiff but not too stiff and I can hit balls all day long. Second favorite is the modus 125x.

I tried the px 7.0s they are really harsh and i had elbow problems with them. Didn’t have a problem with stiffness. The nippon spbs ballooned on me I played the 2s14 as well but they are just so heavy it gets tough in the long irons. Haven’t played the x7s but not a dg fan either. Right now I’m playing steelfiber 125x and they r the bees knees. Nice mid ball flight but don’t over spin. Stiff but not too stiff and I can hit balls all day long. Second favorite is the modus 125x.

Interesting, you felt like the 7.0 gave you the elbow issues? Just from being too rigid?

7.0 is a whole different animal to c-taper 130x,,,, if you want an inbetween try the modus 130X in my opinion.. you get the weight with a touch more feel than the 7.0..

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Fwiw when I went from PX 7.0 to Ctapers then back PX7.0. For me, again just for in my opinion, the 7.0 is way better at spin control compared to ctaper. At least that's what I noticed and experienced, I see a more medium ball flight as well, the launch is a little higher but doesn't result in towering spinny shots I saw with ctapers. I don't have nearly your numbers, but I think you should try the 7.0.

I had the CT 130x after using the X7 for years. They were alright but the tips bent. Went back to the X7 as I'm a DG fan anyway. Found it had less spin and slightly lower launch (not a ton). The 7.0, for me, launched very high. To be fair, they were a friend's and longer length than I play so that may factor into it.

The X7s are a different animal than the x100. Heavier and absolutely firmer without feeling harsh. I have no plans to change going forward.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

I tried the px 7.0s they are really harsh and i had elbow problems with them. Didn't have a problem with stiffness. The nippon spbs ballooned on me I played the 2s14 as well but they are just so heavy it gets tough in the long irons. Haven't played the x7s but not a dg fan either. Right now I'm playing steelfiber 125x and they r the bees knees. Nice mid ball flight but don't over spin. Stiff but not too stiff and I can hit balls all day long. Second favorite is the modus 125x.

Interesting, you felt like the 7.0 gave you the elbow issues? Just from being too rigid?

All else equal, the stiffer the steel shaft, the more vibration will transfer into your hands on any slight miss. A way to minimize this, is to install Prosoft Inserts. It's a piece of "open cell" foam that only weights about 1g and does a great job of reducing vibration

I've been lurking and posting a bit asking about iron shafts so I figured I'd try to get some advice in a new thread. I'm currently playing the C Taper 130x in my irons (Taylormade 2014 mb) and I'm looking to reduce spin and gain stability. I know the C Taper is in the same category as the other two but the only reason I went with it was because it's the only one of them I could test.

My quick stats would be a swing speed of about 130mph with the driver (averaging 126-128) and easily 110mph with my 6 iron. I'm tall (6'4") and have a slightly steeper swing but nothing crazy. I launch the ball high (hit an apex of 180 feet occasionally with the 6 iron) and spin the ball like crazy. My driver is an ATMOS 7x black tipped 1.25" and 3 wood is ATMOS 8tx tipped 2".

With all that said I still can't find either of these shafts to test since no one carries them. I can get two clubs built up but that's just adding cost to an already expensive set of irons. I'm hoping to gain some insight about performance between the two. All the threads I've read make it seem like they both cut spin and lower launch (X7 may reduce both more than PX?) and really the only complaint I've heard about PX is its "boardy" which doesn't concern me since the C Tapers feel almost loose to me. If anyone knows where I can find these shafts to test in California I'm all ears. Otherwise are there any comments about why you'd choose one over the other outside of the all to subjective "feel"?

hirekogolf.com has the 7.0's in stock if you want to try one.

I currently play the 7.0's and I came from the ctaper 130 x. To me the ctapers felt loose and I spun them too much, but the px feel just right. I have never swung the x7's, but I have never been a dg fan so I didn't try them.

This is like music to my ears! I feel the exact same way about the C Taper and I typically get responses saying I'm crazy. Trackman has my 6 iron "optimized" at a 225y carry but I hit it 205-210 strictly based on spin. Not that I need the distance, but that spin kills me in any sort of wind condition or soft greens. So I'm looking for a more stable flight, can still be high but it can't float like it currently does.

I'm with you as well that DG typically feels loose to me, but I've only hit the X100 so to say the X7 is similar wouldn't be fair. But hearing people say it feels less "boardy" makes me think I'll like the PX

DG vs PX appears to be one of those aspects of golf equipment where we all have our preference, and there's not too much crossover. Personally, I'm in the "prefer DG" camp; I've tried various PX flexes, didn't care for them. Same with the Modus 130.

In contrast, I've got Super Peening Blues in a set of Rams, like them pretty well.

If I moved it enough, I'd be looking towards X7 instead of PX.

Ironically, about 10 years ago, I hit a swingspeed and distance peak/spike, started hooking almost everything with cartoonish distance. The only thing I knew that was stiffer was PX 7.0, so I bought a single shaft to demo. Procrastinated quite a bit (in part because I don't like PX), and before I got around to trying it, I didn't need it anymore. I'd lost "it" over that winter, it's never come back. LOL I wonder if it's (the 7.0) still around....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Fwiw when I went from PX 7.0 to Ctapers then back PX7.0. For me, again just for in my opinion, the 7.0 is way better at spin control compared to ctaper. At least that's what I noticed and experienced, I see a more medium ball flight as well, the launch is a little higher but doesn't result in towering spinny shots I saw with ctapers. I don't have nearly your numbers, but I think you should try the 7.0.

Thanks for this! It’s awesome to hear from someone who’s gone back and forth. I don’t mind a high ball as long as it’s not a floating/spinning high ball. Plus I like the “rigid” feel most complain about, I always say it feels more stable. It gives me confidence to go ahead and swing. Definitely leaning towards the PX 7.0

I've been lurking and posting a bit asking about iron shafts so I figured I'd try to get some advice in a new thread. I'm currently playing the C Taper 130x in my irons (Taylormade 2014 mb) and I'm looking to reduce spin and gain stability. I know the C Taper is in the same category as the other two but the only reason I went with it was because it's the only one of them I could test.

My quick stats would be a swing speed of about 130mph with the driver (averaging 126-128) and easily 110mph with my 6 iron. I'm tall (6'4") and have a slightly steeper swing but nothing crazy. I launch the ball high (hit an apex of 180 feet occasionally with the 6 iron) and spin the ball like crazy. My driver is an ATMOS 7x black tipped 1.25" and 3 wood is ATMOS 8tx tipped 2".

With all that said I still can't find either of these shafts to test since no one carries them. I can get two clubs built up but that's just adding cost to an already expensive set of irons. I'm hoping to gain some insight about performance between the two. All the threads I've read make it seem like they both cut spin and lower launch (X7 may reduce both more than PX?) and really the only complaint I've heard about PX is its "boardy" which doesn't concern me since the C Tapers feel almost loose to me. If anyone knows where I can find these shafts to test in California I'm all ears. Otherwise are there any comments about why you'd choose one over the other outside of the all to subjective "feel"?

hirekogolf.com has the 7.0's in stock if you want to try one.

I currently play the 7.0's and I came from the ctaper 130 x. To me the ctapers felt loose and I spun them too much, but the px feel just right. I have never swung the x7's, but I have never been a dg fan so I didn't try them.

This is like music to my ears! I feel the exact same way about the C Taper and I typically get responses saying I'm crazy. Trackman has my 6 iron "optimized" at a 225y carry but I hit it 205-210 strictly based on spin. Not that I need the distance, but that spin kills me in any sort of wind condition or soft greens. So I'm looking for a more stable flight, can still be high but it can't float like it currently does.

I'm with you as well that DG typically feels loose to me, but I've only hit the X100 so to say the X7 is similar wouldn't be fair. But hearing people say it feels less "boardy" makes me think I'll like the PX

DG vs PX appears to be one of those aspects of golf equipment where we all have our preference, and there's not too much crossover. Personally, I'm in the "prefer DG" camp; I've tried various PX flexes, didn't care for them. Same with the Modus 130.

In contrast, I've got Super Peening Blues in a set of Rams, like them pretty well.

If I moved it enough, I'd be looking towards X7 instead of PX.

Ironically, about 10 years ago, I hit a swingspeed and distance peak/spike, started hooking almost everything with cartoonish distance. The only thing I knew that was stiffer was PX 7.0, so I bought a single shaft to demo. Procrastinated quite a bit (in part because I don't like PX), and before I got around to trying it, I didn't need it anymore. I'd lost "it" over that winter, it's never come back. LOL I wonder if it's (the 7.0) still around....

Totally agree on the feel. It’s really hard to ask about that and get solid info since we are all so different. But I do appreciate the numbers from the X7... the lower spin over the 7.0 makes me hesitant in going with the 7.0 but for some reason I’m leaning that way.

Thanks for this! Its awesome to hear from someone whos gone back and forth. I dont mind a high ball as long as its not a floating/spinning high ball. Plus I like the rigid feel most complain about, I always say it feels more stable. It gives me confidence to go ahead and swing. Definitely leaning towards the PX 7.0

No I don't experience floating at all, I get a nice penetrating flight I got canons for irons. Ping G long irons and i20 short irons. Couldn't be any happier. I thought the shafts were so good it actually influenced me to put PX in my woods.

Absolutely, I've had elbows flare up every time I've tried to game PX iron shafts. Just thinking about a PX 7.0 makes my elbow hurt ?BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Thanks for this! It’s awesome to hear from someone who’s gone back and forth. I don’t mind a high ball as long as it’s not a floating/spinning high ball. Plus I like the “rigid” feel most complain about, I always say it feels more stable. It gives me confidence to go ahead and swing. Definitely leaning towards the PX 7.0

No I don't experience floating at all, I get a nice penetrating flight I got canons for irons. Ping G long irons and i20 short irons. Couldn't be any happier. I thought the shafts were so good it actually influenced me to put PX in my woods.

Haha I think your feedback alone will push me to the 7.0. Ever consider sales for PX?? Haha

2S14 X or DG X7 would be the only things I would try. I didn't like the feel or feedback from PX 7.0 or CT 130-X

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

I've played all of these. Basically, in a nut shell, the PX 7.0 feel the stiffest of them all, with CTaper 130x playing nearly identical, but with a much smoother and more muted feel overall. Ball flight and spin aren't massively different. DGX7 to me feel too loose in the butt section, with every other part being very stiff feeling. They don't spin a lot and hit pretty flat, but the feel is off in my opinion for an iron shaft. Too much flex in the deep butt section when you really go down through it. Nippon 2S14 are the lowest hitting, lowest spin shaft I've ever hit. Too low for me actually, but also very connected feeling and surprising muted feeling with being so stiff. If you want mid high flight, very low spin, and something that feels powerful yet connected, Ctaper 130x are the winner for me.

I've played all of these. Basically, in a nut shell, the PX 7.0 feel the stiffest of them all, with CTaper 130x playing nearly identical, but with a much smoother and more muted feel overall. Ball flight and spin aren't massively different. DGX7 to me feel too loose in the mid section, with every other part being very stiff feeling. They don't spin a lot and hit pretty flat, but the feel is terrible in my opinion. Nippon 2S14 are the lowest hitting, lowest spin shaft I've ever hit. Too low for me actually, but also very connected feeling and surprising muted feeling with being so stiff. If you want mid high flight, very low spin, and something that feels powerful yet connected, Ctaper 130x are the winner for me.

Interesting, so in your opinion (or since I know you test quite a bit, your results) the C Taper and PX 7.0 don’t perform all that differently? In terms of spin? Most everything I’ve see points me to think they will spin less but finding actual data is tough to find. I play the C Taper 130x now and can spin the crap out of them, getting some serious floaters into the wind. Some of that I know is just speed, meaning I know I need to back off. But really looking to reduce a bit of spin and add stability with the 7.0 over the C Taper.

I've played all of these. Basically, in a nut shell, the PX 7.0 feel the stiffest of them all, with CTaper 130x playing nearly identical, but with a much smoother and more muted feel overall. Ball flight and spin aren't massively different. DGX7 to me feel too loose in the mid section, with every other part being very stiff feeling. They don't spin a lot and hit pretty flat, but the feel is terrible in my opinion. Nippon 2S14 are the lowest hitting, lowest spin shaft I've ever hit. Too low for me actually, but also very connected feeling and surprising muted feeling with being so stiff. If you want mid high flight, very low spin, and something that feels powerful yet connected, Ctaper 130x are the winner for me.

Interesting, so in your opinion (or since I know you test quite a bit, your results) the C Taper and PX 7.0 don’t perform all that differently? In terms of spin? Most everything I’ve see points me to think they will spin less but finding actual data is tough to find. I play the C Taper 130x now and can spin the crap out of them, getting some serious floaters into the wind. Some of that I know is just speed, meaning I know I need to back off. But really looking to reduce a bit of spin and add stability with the 7.0 over the C Taper.

It truly varies slightly. I came from px 7.0 and spin the ctaper 130x less. Not a ton, but less regardless. I will say the 7.0 will feel stiffer and how that impacts the way you release the club, I do not know. If you really want to cut launch and spin, Nippon 2s14 proto is the way to go. And unfortunately I have no idea where you find a set these days.

It truly varies slightly. I came from px 7.0 and spin the ctaper 130x less. Not a ton, but less regardless. I will say the 7.0 will feel stiffer and how that impacts the way you release the club, I do not know. If you really want to cut launch and spin, Nippon 2s14 proto is the way to go. And unfortunately I have no idea where you find a set these days.

Appreciate the feedback! Certainly will look in to the Nippon as I’ve never heard of it, even though I may not be able to find it

Interesting, so in your opinion (or since I know you test quite a bit, your results) the C Taper and PX 7.0 don't perform all that differently? In terms of spin? Most everything I've see points me to think they will spin less but finding actual data is tough to find. I play the C Taper 130x now and can spin the crap out of them, getting some serious floaters into the wind. Some of that I know is just speed, meaning I know I need to back off. But really looking to reduce a bit of spin and add stability with the 7.0 over the C Taper.

How do the Modus 130x compare to the 2s14 protos? I want to test the Modus as a replacement for the 7.0 since they are almost impossible to find these days.

Interesting, so in your opinion (or since I know you test quite a bit, your results) the C Taper and PX 7.0 don't perform all that differently? In terms of spin? Most everything I've see points me to think they will spin less but finding actual data is tough to find. I play the C Taper 130x now and can spin the crap out of them, getting some serious floaters into the wind. Some of that I know is just speed, meaning I know I need to back off. But really looking to reduce a bit of spin and add stability with the 7.0 over the C Taper.

How do the Modus 130x compare to the 2s14 protos? I want to test the Modus as a replacement for the 7.0 since they are almost impossible to find these days.

Modus 130 hit much higher and spin a ton more than the 2s14. If you want something close to a 7.0 PX, hard step a set of Ctaper 130x.

Modus 130 hit much higher and spin a ton more than the 2s14. If you want something close to a 7.0 PX, hard step a set of Ctaper 130x.

Thanks. I will try that!