So, trying cheap balls this year

Hehateme

Kind of a new years resolution, gonna try to play non premium balls this year to see if they affect my overall play. Currently carrying a 2.8 hdcp and typically play premium balls only. Cheapest ball I play is the Chrome soft X and love it. Started playing the Titleist AVX two months ago and really like the way it plays as well.

So, what ball do I play? None of the "soft" balls work for me. Grabbed a sleeve of Titleist NXT's from the shop and will try them as soon as it warms up (Live in Florida). Tried the E6 line and they are okay. SO, I guess the definition of cheap would be less than $35. Oh, as well, find myself liking the yellow balls more and more, so that would be a bonus. Help a brother out-

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My idea of cheap is the $0.97 per sleeve Wilson Duo Soft that I loaded up on. I've played a few rounds with them. To say soft is an understatement. It feels like I am hitting a sponge. Putting, it feels like the cover doesn't exist and I am just putting a rubber ball. The sound at impact with the driver is like slapping a dishwashing sponge against a half-inflated innertube. It's so soft, I have to ask my playing partners if I actually hit the ball. They aren't sure.

Fortunately, I was able to give away several dozen of them.

Kind of a new years resolution, gonna try to play cheap balls this year to see if they affect my overall play. Currently carrying a 2.8 hdcp and typically play premium balls only. Cheapest ball I play is the Chrome soft X and love it. Started playing the Titleist AVX two months ago and really like the way it plays as well.

So, what ball do I play? None of the "soft" balls work for me. Grabbed a sleeve of Titleist NXT's from the shop and will try them as soon as it warms up (Live in Florida). Tried the E6 line and they are okay. SO, I guess the definition of cheap would be less than $35. Oh, as well, find myself liking the yellow balls more and more, so that would be a bonus. Help a brother out-

MG4 Yellow, 20 bucks plus shipping

Bruddah, Home Depot.

Been playing them all winter. White and round...so who cares, right? And by accident, I've found my new scramble tee shot ball of choice. Loaded up on 6 dozen!

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Just play used balls from lostgolfballs. Premium balls, 50% of the price.. No need to go buying "cheap" balls.

I think you can get barely used tP5/Prov1 for <$20 a dozen now.

+1

Except I use www.GolfballsDirect.com

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

The cheap ball I have been using is the Callaway Soft or Super Soft. (the one's in the white box $20) I like them a lot. I tend to hit the ball with a good bit of spin anyway so I really haven't noticed any issues using it. The course I play typically plays a little soft and receptive, but I backed an 8i up about 5 foot last week with one.

Kind of a new years resolution, gonna try to play cheap balls this year to see if they affect my overall play. Currently carrying a 2.8 hdcp and typically play premium balls only. Cheapest ball I play is the Chrome soft X and love it. Started playing the Titleist AVX two months ago and really like the way it plays as well.

Not sure I'm following. The AVX is pretty much the most expensive golf ball currently on the market. I like it too but it's the opposite of a cheap ball.

Outside of the AVX you can find any ball you like for $35/dozen. ProV1/ProV1x are a little hard to find quite that cheap but it's possible. Any of the Bridgestone or Taylormade or Srixon or Callaway "Tour" balls can be sourced for $30/dozen or less if you're willing to shop around and you buy a model/version that's been out for at least 18 months.

Paying $25 or more a dozen or something like an e6 or NXT Tour is again, the opposite of cheap.

If I resolved to play "cheap" balls it would be whatever last-years-model urethane ball I liked best among the ones I could find on eBay for around $20/dozen. There's no need to settle for low-performance Surlyn covered balls just to save money any more, unless you'll trying to drive the price down around a dollar a ball.

Well “premium” doesn’t exactly have a standard meaning either. Do you mean you want to try “Surlyn cover” balls?

Price, brand, so-called “compression” are all over the place. The single most important thing determining the performance of a golf ball is Urethane vs Surlyn.

I've been playing the Snell MTB for a couple of years now, after a decade or more playing the ProV1, Snell is bringing out two models of MTB this spring, I bet you'll find one that suits you, for about $32 a dozen including shipping, less in quantity.

Not sure I'm following. The AVX is pretty much the most expensive golf ball currently on the market. I like it too but it's the opposite of a cheap ball.

Outside of the AVX you can find any ball you like for $35/dozen. ProV1/ProV1x are a little hard to find quite that cheap but it's possible. Any of the Bridgestone or Taylormade or Srixon or Callaway "Tour" balls can be sourced for $30/dozen or less if you're willing to shop around and you buy a model/version that's been out for at least 18 months.

Paying $25 or more a dozen or something like an e6 or NXT Tour is again, the opposite of cheap.

If I resolved to play "cheap" balls it would be whatever last-years-model urethane ball I liked best among the ones I could find on eBay for around $20/dozen. There's no need to settle for low-performance Surlyn covered balls just to save money any more, unless you'll trying to drive the price down around a dollar a ball.

Low performing Surlyn balls?

Many are GREAT performing balls for a player who wants less spin......those who already naturally spin the ball a lot.

I have had to play Surlyn since it first appeared in the original wound Titleist DT. I have never been able to find a Balata or Urethane ball that did not spin too much.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Many are GREAT performing balls for a player who wants less spin......those who already naturally spin the ball a lot.

I have had to play Surlyn since it first appeared in the original wound Titleist DT. I have never been able to find a Balata or Urethane ball that did not spin too much.

What do you normally put into play?

I highly recommend the TF Gamer line- really good for the price (any model, find the one you prefer- I'm partial to the yellow). If your looking for even cheaper but very good for the price: the Wilson 50 elites or the TF D2 feels are awesome. For cheap and a fun design, the slazenger Money Ball is pretty darn good for the price point of around 2 x 20 packs for $35 (disclaimer: they offer a gold option, I don't play those as I think they'd be pretty tough to spot on the course).

Modern bag:
Nike vr str8 fit tour set at 11
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Nike vr_s 3 and 4 hybrids
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Sunday/quick nine walker:
Callaway warbird deuce 2 wd
Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Palmer Chattanooga driver
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw
Wilson professional 600 putter

I highly recommend the TF Gamer line- really good for the price (any model, find the one you prefer- I'm partial to the yellow). If your looking for even cheaper but very good for the price: the Wilson 50 elites or the TF D2 feels are awesome. For cheap and a fun design, the slazenger Money Ball is pretty darn good for the price point of around 2 x 20 packs for $35 (disclaimer: they offer a gold option, I don't play those as I think they'd be pretty tough to spot on the course).

Used to play the gamer line and something got in my head and felt I needed to get away from the "store brand" line but with the cost of everything out there I am considering going back............tried used but that also doesn't sit that well with me either.

I used Titleist DT for many years until it became the SoLo, then I wandered in the golf ball wilderness for quite a while, desperately looking for a ball that was just right and never finding it. Then I found RZN Red and I fell in love. Now, the wilderness has me firmly in it's maw once more, as I slowly run out of the Red.

I have also had okay experience with any TM 3 piece ball with their proprietary Iothane cover, but I'm not in love with 'em, so the hunt begins anew......

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

I used Titleist DT for many years until it became the SoLo, then I wandered in the golf ball wilderness for quite a while, desperately looking for a ball that was just right and never finding it. Then I found RZN Red and I fell in love. Now, the wilderness has me firmly in it's maw once more, as I slowly run out of the Red.

I have also had okay experience with any TM 3 piece ball with their proprietary Iothane cover, but I'm not in love with 'em, so the hunt begins anew......

I used to use mainly top flite gamers & gamer soft until one day I questioned them when the box said "new" turned out after many attempts I was told nothing was new about the ball and it was just the boxing that had changed. Since then I've tried more than 24 golf balls and that's probably low.

I refuse to spend big because I play as much as can and try to have fun while shooting the best I can with something my wallet can afford. Have no clue what I want to play this coming season.