PXG 311/311F versus P790 actual testing

thepinkbomber

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PXG looks slightly better, especially at address.

P790 goes further and feels better.

PXG is more workable.

P790 is significantly lower price.

Which PXG did you test - 311, 311F, 311 tour? Was it a 6 or 7 iron did you test in both sets?

*edit* 6iron 311 tour 28*, 311 27*, 311F 26*

6iron P790 26.5*

If you hit the PXG tour then P790 should go further since its 1.5* stronger in loft. The P790 seems to be more in line with the 311F or at best 311.

What do you mean the PXG is more workable? I hit a stock draw and the p790 curved easily even at 2* flat. Now granted I did not try to hit a cut during my session. Good idea though when I compare the two head to head with the proper shafts.

I've hit the 311 tour and 790. I felt that the 790 looked and felt better. Performance wise, the 790 was very easy for me to hit. I didn't really get comfy with the 311 tour...not sure why...

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I owned and gamed the 311T and tested the 0311 and now own the 790s which I game off and on w my BBFCo Blades.

I prefer the 790s to both sets of PXGs. I like the way the hosel transitions into the offset alot better I think the shape is alot cleaner looking despite the thicker that optimal topline. Also the 790 has less offset in most clubs especially in the long irons. Keep in mind I bent all sets to the same loft specs. I find the 790s to be more consistent, I like the ball flight better and I prefer the feel to the PXG which I find to lack feedback.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I owned and gamed the 311T and tested the 0311 and now own the 790s which I game off and on w my BBFCo Blades.

I prefer the 790s to both sets of PXGs. I like the way the hosel transitions into the offset alot better I think the shape is alot cleaner looking despite the thicker that optimal topline. Also the 790 has less offset in most clubs especially in the long irons. Keep in mind I bent all sets to the same loft specs. I find the 790s to be more consistent, I like the ball flight better and I prefer the feel to the PXG which I find to lack feedback.

And your BBFCo blades are gorgeous!

Interesting review. I certainly like the look of the P790. They did a nice job.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I have owned the 0311 and 0311t heads and to me the P790 is a mix between the two. I hated the offset on the 0311 heads but loved the forgiveness. I loved the offset of the 0311t heads but wanted more forgiveness. The P790 gave me that. Trackman testing also showed that I was hitting the ball higher than both PXG heads and I was 2-3 yards longer. All of my clubs are bent to the same specs. The only thing the PXG has over the P790 is the sound/feel.

[size=3][b][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM M3 440 - MCA Tensei Pro Orange 60TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Rogue 15 - [/font][/color][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MCA Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Apex 20 - GD Tour AD DI Hybrid[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM P790 4-PW - Modus 120s[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FOURTEEN RM Tour Issue 50, 54, 60 - Modus Black 125[/font][/color][/b][/size][b]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SCOTTY CAMERON Custom Mid Slant 009 Tour[/font][/color][/b]
[b][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]IG: dphatt[/font][/size][/b]

I will share the same thoughts I posted under a different thread where I was looking for similar clubs as the P790.

Went to my master fitter today and found a great shaft for the P790. Tried about six shafts. Tested it against my gamer and PXG 311 and 311T. Had all 3 six iron clubs bent to same lie / loft spec as mine for easy comparison. PXG was significantly shorter when at the same loft and lie.

Didn't bother with the 311F since its very left bias. The soles on all 3 versions were also very wide.

Decided to go with the P790. Great feel and sound.

I own both sets now and can't decide which to retire. The distance is the same for me on most but the ball flight seems higher on the 790's. I also play a combo set of PXGs I have the 4 iron in the X, the 5 & 6 in the XF and the 7-PW in the 0311 and a GW in the XF. I'm tracking both with Arccos sensors and after 4 rounds a piece its really close. I will say this the P790s have had way more shots that made me say wow that was a nice shot.

I own both sets now and can't decide which to retire. The distance is the same for me on most but the ball flight seems higher on the 790's. I also play a combo set of PXGs I have the 4 iron in the X, the 5 & 6 in the XF and the 7-PW in the 0311 and a GW in the XF. I'm tracking both with Arccos sensors and after 4 rounds a piece its really close. I will say this the P790s have had way more shots that made me say wow that was a nice shot.

Curious why you went back to XF in the Gap wedge?

• 7 months later...

I personally feel that the clubs are virtually interchangeable. The PXGs feel a tad softer and spin a little more than the P790s. The 311s (1st generation) have more offset, though. I get a little more distance out of the P790s and have no problem stopping them. Both sets are consistent for me. I have never seen the fliers that some complain about. For me, the P790s’ slightly better performance made them my preference over the PXGs, but either one suit my game almost perfectly.

You should never let these forums decide for you which is better as they both are very nice and you can't go wrong with either set. You need to demo them as what I might say would only have people who own them say I'm a PXG hater. Sometimes the truth hurts as I'm only want the truth to come out. Now as far as actual figures everyone has their own opinion so it's your swing, your time, your money have fun go out and demo them all. I think the P790's is the favorite at least for me as I only demo'ed them as I never went out and played them on a course just on a few holes have I hit them. I think if I were to buy the PXG it would be the Gen 2's but only till the price comes way down and I can do an actual professional fitting and maybe 3 years from now as I'm loving my P790's

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Interested in your feedback if you hit and compared both PXG 311 / 311F and TM P790. Let's please keep the thread to those that actually hit both brands and compared them.

Save your money and be very satisfied with the 790s. I'm telling you, PXG just has a "prestige" feeling for those that can afford it. I scored mine extremely cheap because the guy I bought them from is rich and had early access to Gen 2s. I played them for a couple weeks but the price is definitely not worth the performance "gain" (there was no gain, only differences).

Feel: 790s

Price: 790s

Workability: Even draw to me.

Ease of Hitting: Draw

Looks: They both have their ups and down but, I suppose the PXGs are a tiny bit sexier.

My feedback is based on PXG 0311Ts (4-PW) and my current set of 790s.

But, again, as stated above, you need to go out and get fitted. Everyone is different. EVERYONE. Don't waste your time caring what we think. The decision between these two sets is for you and you alone.

Interested in your feedback if you hit and compared both PXG 311 / 311F and TM P790. Let's please keep the thread to those that actually hit both brands and compared them.

I have had both GEN1 and GEN2 PXG irons and the TM P790......no contest PXG on all counts.

The GEN2 is more expensive but worth every bit the cost!

Just in feel alone the PXG wins big against anything out there...best feeling irons on the market.

Do yourself a favor and try the PXG irons.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

• 11 months later...

> @Tiptx1122 said:

> You should never let these forums decide for you which is better as they both are very nice and you can't go wrong with either set. You need to demo them as what I might say would only have people who own them say I'm a PXG hater. Sometimes the truth hurts as I'm only want the truth to come out. Now as far as actual figures everyone has their own opinion so it's your swing, your time, your money have fun go out and demo them all. I think the P790's is the favorite at least for me as I only demo'ed them as I never went out and played them on a course just on a few holes have I hit them. I think if I were to buy the PXG it would be the Gen 2's but only till the price comes way down and I can do an actual professional fitting and maybe 3 years from now as I'm loving my P790's

But demos have issues too. Many times Your hitting inside likely off perfect lies on mats that probably don't spin right. Hearing people's on course perspectives is super helpful too.

> @thepinkbomber said:

> Went with the P790s before the season.

>

>

>

> Master fitter had the same shafts and tried each of the PXG against the P790 after bending loft / lie the same. PXG was actually shorter once we made the lofts the same.

If you are looking to buy a Camaro or a Mustang do you ask them to switch the engine from one to the other to compare? No..... you compare them based on the performance that comes from the design of the car.

IMO trying to compare different golf clubs by manipulating the loft of one to achieve equal loft to the other is similar to that. You are taking away the design elements that are there to make the club perform "better" in an effort to gain a comparison that may severely handicap one of the club's results. The better approach might be to maximize the performance of each club individually, and then compare the 2 side by side. Who knows, the result could be pretty close to the same, or you might even be surprised by the results you end up with.

I've had both the PXG Gen 1's and Gen 2 irons, which I play now. I hit the 790's several times and one of my weekend buddies plays them They are definitely a good looking iron as so are the PXG's. But if your looking for feel and forgivness the PXG is hands down the winner for me, especially the Gen 2's.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag