Square Strike Wedge

TheLarch

Been watching the Sentry Championship from Hawaii the past couple days, and have been reminded by whoever this person is every ten to fifteen minutes that if you have a problem "chunking it out" that you might want to try the Square Strike Wedge. Not sure what "chunking it out" is exactly, but I think it's akin to chunking it up and/or chunking it down. I haven't seen anyone playing yesterday or today "chunk it out" so I believe everyone at Kapalua is using the Square Strike Wedge, the XG7 Driver, the C3I Wedge, and the Medicus Putter with front wheel drive. Anyone know where I can get a dozen Kick X balls?

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that dudes title that says “2x US open champion” but underneath it says analyst but it’s fast enough you can easily miss the analyst part.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I feel like a small bucket of balls and 30mins would make this club redundant and unnecessary for 95% of golfers that play at least once a month...

Disagree...if you’re yippie, stabbie or chippie, it’ll take more than a half hour and a few balls to get back on track. It can take months, if not years to get over that sort of thing. Not saying thie Square Strike is a magic wand, but for some it might be just different enough to help rewire the brain. Not currently in that mode, but in the past, I’ve leaned on the Cleveland Niblick to sort out some short game woes, as have plenty of others.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I wonder how much Golf Channel/NBC is able to sell commercial time for with all these gizmo golf club ads? Even at cheap ad times one would they would have to sell a ton of these suckers just to cover one ad.

But this isn't a Morning Drive or Wonderful World of Golf replays time slot. This is a weekend golf telecast with the top 5 in the world playing, with most all the golf fans on the continent unable to play right now. Maybe the viewer market share is so tiny with other sports going on the ad time is really cheap? Still curious though what "really cheap" might be.

I wonder how much Golf Channel/NBC is able to sell commercial time for with all these gizmo golf club ads? Even at cheap ad times one would they would have to sell a ton of these suckers just to cover one ad.

But this isn't a Morning Drive or Wonderful World of Golf replays time slot. This is a weekend golf telecast with the top 5 in the world playing, with most all the golf fans on the continent unable to play right now. Maybe the viewer market share is so tiny with other sports going on the ad time is really cheap? Still curious though what "really cheap" might be.

Cable ads are super cheap. They can often be bought by the zipcode and certainly by the county. That spot would probably cost no more than $5 to run in a county near me with several good GCs and CCs (at least one which is regularly in the top 10 or at least 20 in the Commonwealth) and 140k or so total population. It could easily be as little as $2 or $3, Now, obviously, one may run the spot many times and in many counties or zipcodes, but that particular spot cost them literally pennies.

I’m not sure if this is true during The Sentry, but those club commercials that air in non-prime spots pay nothing to the Golf Channel for the commercial and only give a percentage of sales made during that time.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Look at the cost compared to what it costs to make. I would venture to guess they are making $50 bucks a piece maybe a little less. they sell 100,000 they make $5 million. I would venture they sell 100,000 units easily

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

Look at the cost compared to what it costs to make. I would venture to guess they are making $50 bucks a piece maybe a little less. they sell 100,000 they make $5 million. I would venture they sell 100,000 units easily

Not sure if these are made in China or not but manufacturer costs for this club look to be about $10. No joke

Not sure if these are made in China or not but manufacturer costs for this club look to be about $10. No joke

I was being conservative in my estimate. Just showing the cost of the adds is a pittance to what they are making on these

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

Its a 45*, big soled wedge...sooooo basically a GI pitching wedge?

I wonder how many of those terrible chippers who chunk and skull are trying to chip off those thin lies using a 56 or 60 - and then discover what a "miracle" it is using this wedge.

Would love to see them try chipping with a PW or 9i and reporting back.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I was a 12 cap last year. Game Golf said I needed improvement in my short game. I can chip ok with a wedge or 8i but still knew I could get better. I added an Odyssey Tank Chipper and Callaway Sure Out 64* wedge. Ended up at a 9.5 cap this year. I’ll take that improvement all day from some ‘gimmick’ clubs. Actually got my first 2 Eagles holing our from 60 yds with the Sure Out.

As my 8yr old says. Don’t knock it until you try it.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Its a 45*, big soled wedge...sooooo basically a GI pitching wedge?

I wonder how many of those terrible chippers who chunk and skull are trying to chip off those thin lies using a 56 or 60 - and then discover what a "miracle" it is using this wedge.

Would love to see them try chipping with a PW or 9i and reporting back.

100%. That being said, The issue I personally have w using my PW is that the face is so danged hot, I cant control the thing. Runs like a motha!

Been watching the Sentry Championship from Hawaii the past couple days, and have been reminded by whoever this person is every ten to fifteen minutes that if you have a problem "chunking it out" that you might want to try the Square Strike Wedge. Not sure what "chunking it out" is exactly, but I think it's akin to chunking it up and/or chunking it down. I haven't seen anyone playing yesterday or today "chunk it out" so I believe everyone at Kapalua is using the Square Strike Wedge, the XG7 Driver, the C3I Wedge, and the Medicus Putter with front wheel drive. Anyone know where I can get a dozen Kick X balls?

Lol. I would love someone here to do a head to head shootout with the gimmick clubs vs traditional clubs. Would Crossfield or Shiels do it?

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Love how this wedge features a "ACS 2 Low Friction Anti-Chunk Slide Ramp Sole with No-Dig Leading Edge"

Love this guy too:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I seem to be stuck playing with guys like this often... proper technique can be learned in 15 minutes. Lead with the handle, don't flip with the wrists!

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Love how this wedge features a "ACS 2 Low Friction Anti-Chunk Slide Ramp Sole with No-Dig Leading Edge"

Love this guy too:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I seem to be stuck playing with guys like this often... proper technique can be learned in 15 minutes. Lead with the handle, don't flip with the wrists!

I hear ya, but as a guy who can drive it pretty straight and long, hit more than my fair share of GIR and a decent putter, I still struggle w what appears to be the very simple chip shot. Lessons, 100 YouTube videos, practicing for hours and still s bit of a struggle. Pain!!

My miss with my chips is a rather nasty skull scampering like a rat clear across the green. If this thing could fix that, I’d swallow my pride and be first on line.

The one thing keeping me from lowering my handicap in a significant way

1. Try either a vokey L or a PM grind. The leading edge sits flush to the ground. There is literally no metal to skull the ball with.

2. Keep your lower body still. The screaming skull is when your lower body outraces your upper body. This creates a hole underneath your right shoulder (your hip isn't there to hold

It up). R shoulder drops and the bottom edge of the wedge hits the ball. Have a swing thought of literally immobilizing your hips and legs (you will never actually do that, but it will feel like it).

3. Stop moving the ball backwards in your stance. Skulls are not an impact issue. They are a where your hitting it on the club issue. You can fix fats and dips by moving the ball back but not skulls. A skull is a shank that happens due to a vertical miss instead of a horizontal miss (a shank is off the hosel, a skull is off

The leading edge).

IMO of course.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Love this guy too:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Ben Wright says this guy's moobs are getting in the way of his swing.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX