When Equipment Has Gone Too Far

Pomps

This argument likely has come up with every generation of advancement i.e. Hickory to steel to graphite, etc. or persimmon to steel to you get the point. After winning the Sentry, DJ notably remarked how hard it was to hit it offline with the M4 and the twist face. Yes, DJ is a freak and the player the most important variable. However, at what point should the equipment forgiveness stop correcting deficiencies of the player in order to get a true test of the best players. This is the case that in previous generations, the equipment didn't help as much and only the best ball strikers won the majority of times. Today, do we know the best players? Are some guys only decent ball strikers but are being saved by equipment to compete with great ball strikers? Is that how tournament golf should be? If so, how far does it go?

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*) - Testing: Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist 915fd 13.5* @12.75* - Atmos Blue TS 8x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 818H1 21* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2, Toulon Garage San Diego, Odyssey #7 CH; Odyssey Tour Black #9

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely valid questions.... my opinion is that the shark was jumped a while back....

Dj woud be great, long and still win with anything..BUT there are players out there that couldnt cut it ( keep a card) with less forgiveness... even in putters...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

DJs win at Kaplua is so so similar to Els's win there in 2003 (he also won by 8 strokes). Back then he was using the a little known Titleist club called the 983K and everyone was in awe of how much farther he hit the club with it. As a result, there was huge buzz for that club and it flew off retailer's shelves. Looking back now, it was the indian and not the arrow that give him such a wide margin of victory (the windy conditions there helped a bit as well).

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

He hits his driver better than the field 90% of the time. As for what he said about the driver......he kind of gets paid to say that exact thing whether it’s truthful or not.

If that driver wasn’t available to everyone then he’d have an advantage but that isn’t the case. Everyone can play the new M, some choose not to for guaranteed money with a club contract, but everyone (even you and I) can use it. There were a lot more shots hit without driver (irons/wedges/putts) over the 4 days that attributed to the win as well.

He was hitting 179-180 mph ball speed, probably hitting 1.48-1.52 each shot. That means he was hitting the center. I don’t care what sort of twist face tech or jailbreak or whatever is present. If you hit it that centered, and are the #1 player in the world, and playing on a course with enormous fairways, you are going to absolutely own the driver.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue

Titleist TSi2 3W, 5W Ventus TR Blue

Callaway Apex CB 4-PW DG 120

Titleist Vokey SM9 50/55/60 Oban CT 115

Ping PLD Anser

This argument likely has come up with every generation of advancement i.e. Hickory to steel to graphite, etc. or persimmon to steel to you get the point. After winning the Sentry, DJ notably remarked how hard it was to hit it offline with the M4 and the twist face. Yes, DJ is a freak and the player the most important variable. However, at what point should the equipment forgiveness stop correcting deficiencies of the player in order to get a true test of the best players. This is the case that in previous generations, the equipment didn't help as much and only the best ball strikers won the majority of times. Today, do we know the best players? Are some guys only decent ball strikers but are being saved by equipment to compete with great ball strikers? Is that how tournament golf should be? If so, how far does it go?

Very well formulated post, OP. Your question is do we know the best players today?

Yes, because they are competing at playing golf, not competing at ball striking.

It may just be a different set of skills to be the "best player" today, and ball striking is relatively less important.

In the Youtube video DJ said he was hoping for 1 more fairway per round. It seemed like he got that wish this week.

You have to hand it to Taylormade. They know how to market their clubs better than anyone. Count me in as jumping on the "Twist Face" bandwagon. I need one more fairway per round. :D

Ping G430 10k 9 Tour Black 2.0 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

To me, the old tech didn't identify the best players; it just identified a certain type of player whose game fit that era's equipment the best. Look at the hickory to steel transition. If a guy couldn't play with hickory but was great with steel, does that mean he had deficiencies? Of course not. If he was a strong player with a great swing and simply couldn't time hickory shafts, that doesn't mean he had a deficiency in his game. It just meant it was better suited for one tech than another. Neither is inherently better or worse, or more of a "true test" than the other.

Any time there is a technological revolution in the game, some players benefit because they have earlier access to the new tech. Some players are better with the new tech than they otherwise would have been. Some players don't benefit as much as others and get left behind. And finally, some players grow up in the era of the new tech and blow past the prior generation because it allows them to learn the game a different way. This has happened before and will continue to happen. And that's okay.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I'm not buying DJ needing a club with much forgiveness at all. I would accept that he might be more confident with his new driver but that's it. The Taylor Made M4 is not the club that took things too far.

I hadn't been convinced about the need to roll back the ball. The arguments were all sensible I just didn't think that it could be done and that reduced the effectiveness of the arguments for me but when you see DJ driving a 433 yard hole or whatever it was, questions need to start being asked. I get that it was downhill, downwind but even with all of that, it is madness.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

DJ or any other pro golfer could go to the Goodwill, assemble a bag of the cheapest, beat up clubs imaginable, and win tournaments. I bought a set of King Cobra woods that Shark Norman touted as being "literally impossible to slice." That was back in 1998, for over $600. Believe me, I sliced them.

Never believed that pro hype after that.

"A good swing will result in a good shot, no matter what."

Endless threads about how drivers/clubs haven't changed in 20 years and endless others about how technology has ruined the game. Which is it?

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

Endless threads about how drivers/clubs haven't changed in 20 years and endless others about how technology has ruined the game. Which is it?

Yes. I wonder this too. I know it’s changed a lot. But bothers me to no end that some won’t acknowledge how much easier Driver and modern irons are to hit.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Let's see DJ in an post tournament interview (which he won) states how difficult it was to hit offline shots using the new driver he's paid to promote and now the internet claims golf is "too easy".

When I can hit the drives DJ hits then maybe we can say golf is too easy, until then it's simply called, "marketing".

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

There are maybe 5 guys on the tour that are physical and perhaps genetic freaks. Dustin Johnson is showing the world what happens when a truly gifted “athlete” plays the game of golf at the highest level.

Don’t blame the equipment for this one and don’t make it sound like his outlier is the norm. Let’s not forget that his playing partner hit driver as well and was 150 yards behind him.

What hasn’t changed much is the average driving distance on tour. What is changing is the group of outliers who through physical fitness and training are maxing out the speed potential of their bodies.

At the professional and better player levels, I do not see so much

Of an equipment advantage.

At the average and beginner levels, its where I see a potential

Equipment bonanza. And honestly,that is where the marketing

Is targeted for.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

There are maybe 5 guys on the tour that are physical and perhaps genetic freaks. Dustin Johnson is showing the world what happens when a truly gifted “athlete” plays the game of golf at the highest level.

Don’t blame the equipment for this one and don’t make it sound like his outlier is the norm. Let’s not forget that his playing partner hit driver as well and was 150 yards behind him.

What hasn’t changed much is the average driving distance on tour. What is changing is the group of outliers who through physical fitness and training are maxing out the speed potential of their bodies.

This 100% but not even just that. Remember these courses are also setup for pros they have caddies paid to analyze every square inch. Look at some of the holes especially some of the par 4s. If u hit the proper side of the fairway your ball catches a speed slot and rolls another 80yards. Carry it the same distance but hit the other side of the fairway and u get 10y of roll only. Explain how theres 520y par 4s but then a 540y par 5. Its because the way the hole plays. Heck even at 520y and a 300y drive the pro is left with a 220y approach...remember elevation slopes etc come into play and made some of those holes play a lot shorter then stated.

But us the viewer love seeing 350-400y drives.

When people complain about the game and the ball/equipment making it so courses need to get longer and longer is malarchy. We the viewer like watching the bomb and gauge style. Yet there are some courses that are sub 7000y that are quite difficult for even the pros as the fairways are narrow and the rough is long. Theres doglegs and strategic fairway bunkers. So an emphasis is placed on accuracy and shot making not distance.

More courses like this is what the pga needs but us the viewer doesnt want that. We want to see DJ hitting it as far as he can then some moron yelling Mash Potatoes

You either have the skills to be among the best or you don't. The equipment is there for everyone, it certainly is not going to perform magic and transform a bogey golfer into a scratch one. Still need SKILL. Get tired of hearing Gary Player, Jack, and other Pros from the day crying about the distance the ball travels and the so called modern equipment.

great post -- but i have to jump in here and say that his driver didn't win him the tourney -- certainly helped, but he had to putt, chip, and hit irons in order to shoot so low everyday.

remember - other people in the field had M4 drivers.

lets not jump the gun - lets see how he and his driver do once they get on tighter tracks.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

You either have the skills to be among the best or you don't. The equipment is there for everyone, it certainly is not going to perform magic and transform a bogey golfer into a scratch one. Still need SKILL. Get tired of hearing Gary Player, Jack, and other Pros from the day crying about the distance the ball travels and the so called modern equipment.

You got a point there. Despite all the ball and club tech advancements you still gotta put the ball in the hole in the fewest amount of strokes.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Perhaps I misspoke. This isn't a knock on DJ just a commentary on club forgiveness. I shouldn't have included his name because it's causing confusion as to the point. Any tour pro could have said the same for marketing. He's clearly one of the best drivers and players.

The real question is how much more tech advancements and forgiveness a club provides is okay, regardless of any level? When does the technology advancement go too far so that a great strike and a good strike yield close to the same results and should that be the case? Will there be a point when anything hit on any part of the face have the same speed and accuracy? Is that okay?

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*) - Testing: Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist 915fd 13.5* @12.75* - Atmos Blue TS 8x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 818H1 21* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2, Toulon Garage San Diego, Odyssey #7 CH; Odyssey Tour Black #9

Kapalua is a great course to debut new gear and golf in the new year. Primetime audience plus a course setup that makes these freaks seem even freakier. Debuting a driver at Torrey probably wouldn't come with the same amount of buzz.

Titleist TS3 w/ Even Flow White
M1 w/ Diamana Thump
M4 Tour w/ Kuro Kage TiNi
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°
Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3

Perhaps I misspoke. This isn't a knock on DJ just a commentary on club forgiveness. I shouldn't have included his name because it's causing confusion as to the point. Any tour pro could have said the same for marketing. He's clearly one of the best drivers and players.

The real question is how much more tech advancements and forgiveness a club provides is okay, regardless of any level? When does the technology advancement go too far so that a great strike and a good strike yield close to the same results and should that be the case? Will there be a point when anything hit on any part of the face have the same speed and accuracy? Is that okay?

That would sure be fine by me. I can assure you the tech is nowhere remotely in that ballpark yet, as my dispersion pattern illustrates clearly.

And even if they made the ball react the same on 2" off-center impact as on sweet spot hits it doesn't nothing about pulls or pushes, you know?

As for "at any level" I like seeing the guys on TV playing the same equipment as I do. If they were off playing with different equipment under different rules (just to keep from embarrassing hackers, apparently) I'd lose whatever minor interest I have in seeing the televised version.

The tech has made drivers much better. I am 60 and probably hit the ball further than when I was 30. I am not DJ, nor even in the same universe as any other pro. DJ is just hitting the ball phenomenally well. Research has been done and quoted ad nauseam; the consensus is it is a combination of the driver and ball. But as has been said, the average pro distance reached a plateau a few years ago. DJ is an outlier. I don't need a less forgiving, shorter driver. If I do, I will play my persimmon (which I do sometimes and enjoy!) The average golfer needs all the help he can get, and if he(me) hits the fairway more often, it speeds up play for everyone.

Anyone in the top 100 on the PGA Tour hits the ball VERY well. If they had to start playing with persimmon and Hogan Apex PCs, they would adapt eventually. But that wouldn't sell clubs.

As to irons, many PGA Tour pros play irons not that far removed from irons in the 90's or even further back.

As far as the ball, I think Nicklaus was on the right track. Have a "game" ball that all manufacturers have specs for. Don't necessarily roll it back, but base it on the current ProV1 or equivalent Bridgestone, TM, or whatever and hold it at that for the future. Bifurcation of sorts which I don't like, but would make everyone shut up. The rest of us would go on hitting our ProV1s at half the distance the pros do (or less) and be happy. I know there are scratch golfers among you who hit closer to the pros than I do, but I don't think you are complaining that golf is too easy.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX