Golfers Elbow

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Palpation and resisted muscle testing....incense is for the patients toilet

I know it is micro-tears in the tendon fibers but what I have not been able to get a straight answer on is how long it will take to heal.

I have a couple of braces I wear to protect it and Ibuprofen really helps a lot but would like to know if there is anything else I need to be doing for mine. Note that some of my injury was as a result of some issues with Levaquin (floxin toxicity) - had zero elbow issues until I was on that med. (It really did a number on my knees and supplements seem to slowly be helping so I guess I am lucky)

I would gladly accept any advice you might offer and thanks in advance!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Me too. Left medial epicondylitis is nagging me now. I have used ice, rest, nsaids with no improvement. Problem is, I live in a year-round golf season. My rest was due to family holiday visits. Cortisone injection?

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Nope. Palpation and resisted muscle testing....incense is for the patients toilet ��

I know it is micro-tears in the tendon fibers but what I have not been able to get a straight answer on is how long it will take to heal.

I have a couple of braces I wear to protect it and Ibuprofen really helps a lot but would like to know if there is anything else I need to be doing for mine. Note that some of my injury was as a result of some issues with Levaquin (floxin toxicity) - had zero elbow issues until I was on that med. (It really did a number on my knees and supplements seem to slowly be helping so I guess I am lucky)

Levaquin is some nasty stuff. I had to take it about ten years ago for a sinus infection that I couldn't kick. Both elbows became a disaster shortly thereafter. My dad tore both Achilles tendons as a result of Levaquin.

After ice, rest for several weeks and possibly some PT, I recommend the Theraband Flexbar. It comes with instructions on how to perform exercises for both lateral and medial.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Improving swing mechanics also helps to prevent it. If you're super steep, disconnected, and have poor sequencing chances of elbow injuries increase IMO. A swing that shallows sufficiently into impact along with arms that are in sync and supported by the body will minimize strain on the elbows and wrists.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Me too. Left medial epicondylitis is nagging me now. I have used ice, rest, nsaids with no improvement. Problem is, I live in a year-round golf season. My rest was due to family holiday visits. Cortisone injection?

That was me 10 yrs ago, did PT and 3 cortisone shots over a 2 yr period with only temporary success . Had the surgery and was back playing golf 4-5 months later. Stay strong with the gym and never have had an issue since recovery. Good luck

Totally agree with above post

Ping G400 LST 10° GD-MT6
Ping g400 3wd
Ping g400 5wd
Ping G 7wd
Ping G 22°
Ping I-200 6-gw
Ping Glide 54ss~58ss
Seemore Del Mar x3

Nope. Palpation and resisted muscle testing....incense is for the patients toilet ��

Levaquin is some nasty stuff. I had to take it about ten years ago for a sinus infection that I couldn't kick. Both elbows became a disaster shortly thereafter. My dad tore both Achilles tendons as a result of Levaquin.

After ice, rest for several weeks and possibly some PT, I recommend the Theraband Flexbar. It comes with instructions on how to perform exercises for both lateral and medial.

Yes it is (Levaquin - bad) and the manufacturers have kept it on the market even though physicians nationwide received warnings about the potential damages. Cipro, Avelox - there are others. I had pneumonia and the doc wanted to nuke it. Had taken the stuff before and had no issues.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. Going to seek that band out.

If there is any good news the problem stayed out of my ankles and out of my hips. Apparently these are two of the worst locations to have the issues.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Totally agree with your recommendation for several weeks of rest and Theraband Flexbar.

Personally I took a break from golf for around 8 or so weeks when I got tennis elbow from hitting off hard mats last April.

As soon as I started the Flexbar exercise, I could feel the relief from the pain, definitely recommend the Theraband Flexbar (The green one is good for exercise and the blue one is great for building back strength once the pain goes away).

Even after 8 months, I can still feel that the left elbow is not back to 100%, not sure how long it will take to be back to normal like my other elbow.

In my clinic the vast vast majority of suffering patients did not get this condition playing either tennis or golf.

Invariably, it's a repetitive action from work or similar.

How long to recover? How long is a piece of string. Depends on individual responses.

Get the correct treatment, 'hands on' preferably; refrain from the action that has caused the condition; wear a proper Tennis elbow compressing support and things should improve.

Failing that, hydrocortisone injection is next on the list to try.

Regards to Levaquin, that's something that needs to be discussed with your GP. I can't recall that being an issue with anyone I've seen. Certainly it can cause muscle or tendon issues.

Interesting timing with this topic for me...

I have been a range rat since for past 7 years. 2-3 hours 2-4x a week from like March - September, then some heated ranges randomly during winter. Also throw in some golf store simulator swings like 1-2x a month all year. Been very fortunate all that time to not have had any elbow or back injury.

A month ago during a stint of unseasonably warm weather I headed out to the driving range. That night my left elbow was hurting. Next day it felt better but friend asked me to play a round and I said sure. Had I been by myself I probably would have cut round short as elbow really started to hurt. I could still full swing so I ignored it and finished my round.

Here I am today a month later and it STILL hurts just sitting here doing nothing other than typing this. It hurts when I need to grab something with my left arm. Or lift something. The pain is worst when I outstretch my arm and make a fist. Making a fist while it is folded and resting doesn't hurt. So I probably hyper-extended it. I actually do remember working on the range that day of trying to keep my left arm rod straight like the pro's.

Hope it goes away soon by itself.

Taylormade R11 9° Diamana™ S 62
Sub 70 639-CB 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Wilson FG PMP wedges 52° & 56°, DG S400

Star Sidewinder Black grips - standard + 2 wraps
Tommy Armour Impact #3 Putter 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft golf balls

Yes it is (Levaquin - bad) and the manufacturers have kept it on the market even though physicians nationwide received warnings about the potential damages. Cipro, Avelox - there are others. I had pneumonia and the doc wanted to nuke it. Had taken the stuff before and had no issues.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. Going to seek that band out.

If there is any good news the problem stayed out of my ankles and out of my hips. Apparently these are two of the worst locations to have the issues.

When I go to a doctor and they ask for medicine allergies the first word from my mouth is fluoroquinolones. If needed to save one from bacterial death give me Levaquin- it does the job, but for some not without a nasty cost. For routine infections the risks far outweigh its use, in my opinion.

I was prescribed Levaquin twice - both times for pneumonia. The first was bacterial, and the Levaquin was the only antibiotic to take it out. I had read the risks, but if I hadn't taken it, I'm sure that I wouldn't be here typing right now....that bad of a bout.

The second time I was diagnosed and prescribed, I took a "longer" course of Levaquin, but after days, I knew it wasn't working - had "viral" pneumonia, but wasn't diagnosed correctly right off the bat.

Now, hips (already not great due to genetics) are really giving me a hard time. Standing in one place for more than 15-20 seconds...really bad, but I can walk 18 holes no problem (which is really good)

Haven't had the elbow issue, but for most any type of pain (almost 62 now) I use moist heat. It's cheap, I can do it as much as I like without any side effects, and I love how it feels.

OP....good luck with what's going on, and let me/us know if you find something providing permanent relief.

Back in the 80's, 90's and into the early 2000's (yes, I'm that damn old) I would hit upwards of a thousand balls a day at least five days a week off of mats and it about destroyed my elbows.

Consequently, I developed both golfers and tennis elbow in both arms and it became a chronic issue for me. When it was in my right arm I couldn't shake hands, turn a door knob, pick up a water glass, you name it. If I made the wrong move or bumped my elbow on something it was excruciating.

During the worst times golf was out of the question.

Well, I ended up with somewhere between 12 and 15 injections over the years and, although they worked magnificently, I was aware of the potential long term effects (plus they ain't exactly pleasant) and was desperately seeking an alternative treatment.

A therapist that I knew recommended using a rolled up towel to do what's called Reverse Twist and Tyler Twist exercises and, although I can't remember if the improvement was immediate or not, I do remember that it worked big time and I've been doing them ever since without a significant recurrence.

While the towel trick works just fine the Theraband Flexbar is only around $12 - $20 (depending on which one you get) and makes the exercise easier and more convenient. I bought my first one about ten or twelve years ago and now have them in three different level of resistance (red, green and blue) that I keep in a drawer next to my "TV chair" and I'll do four or five sets of each exercise while watching the tube in the evening.

Requires very little time or effort and, for me anyways, has worked like magic as I've had zero injections since.

And I know that the exercises are the key because if I get lazy and inadvertently skip a couple of weeks, I will almost always do something that brings about a little twinge in one elbow or another and that's the only reminder I need to get back with the program pronto.

No one thing works for everybody but this is a very inexpensive experiment that might just work as well for you as it does for me.

If you're interested, just google Theraband or Flexbar or look 'em up on Amazon.

Good luck!

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Last winter, I came down with golfers elbow from practicing indoors. From another thread, I bought the Theraband Flexbar, and started to do arm curls with a 10 lb weight. I am almost 100% and looking forward to a season of golf without pain/discomfort.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

Improving swing mechanics also helps to prevent it. If you're super steep, disconnected, and have poor sequencing chances of elbow injuries increase IMO. A swing that shallows sufficiently into impact along with arms that are in sync and supported by the body will minimize strain on the elbows and wrists.

It's probably the other extreme too, I had it a few years back, and at the time my instructor said i was too shallow and hitting it just a bit fat and needed to come in steeper. So I agree with you that it's a swing flaw.

I hit off mats and a usual range session for me is 400 balls and don't feel pain.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

i have wrist tendonitis in both wrists. I cannot turn a key in a door without intense pain, but I can hit golf balls all day long. Only certain actions hurt--luckily not the correct golf swing. However, if i flip the club early, I'm out for two weeks.

I used to have plantar fasciitis (feet). Pity anyone who has it. Took me 18 months before it finally disappeared. Like a miracle when it did. Now I have minor achilles problems, which are a piece of cake by comparison.

(I'm a senior, BTW. Just wait...all sorts of sh*t happens with your bod that are like WTF. Keep fit and thin and stretchy.)

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

i have wrist tendonitis in both wrists. I cannot turn a key in a door without intense pain, but I can hit golf balls all day long. Only certain actions hurt--luckily not the correct golf swing. However, if i flip the club early, I'm out for two weeks.

I used to have plantar fasciitis (feet). Pity anyone who has it. Took me 18 months before it finally disappeared. Like a miracle when it did. Now I have minor achilles problems, which are a piece of cake by comparison.

(I'm a senior, BTW. Just wait...all sorts of sh*t happens with your bod that are like WTF. Keep fit and thin and stretchy.)

I know what you mean, i'm approaching 40 and the past few years has been learning that i'm not young anymore.

What I don't understand is whenever I see someone in their 20's playing graphite shafts in their irons because of "pain". These kids are real soft or they're going to buried in their 40's.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Stay on top of that "minor" achilles deal and find some good stretches to keep them pliable and the blood flowing.

I did that for quite a few years and then I didn't.

Snap.

Blew the left one stepping down off of a weight bench almost exactly three years ago and my calf muscle is still about half the size and strength that it was prior to the rupture.

As I'm two months from being 65 I doubt it will ever be any better either.

Not a huge deal in the big picture I guess but I would just as soon have read about ruptured achilles tendons as opposed to actually experiencing one!

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

x1000, really worth checking because the issue may not be fixed without this. I had ongoing elbow pain and had different types of arthritis braces to help, wasn't until I had a lesson on Trackman that really showed just how steep it was. I've told this before but the instructor asked unprompted if I had elbow pain, I was amazed and asked how he knew. He's like well if I slammed by 6 iron at about 95mph into a range mat at 10* I would have pain too. A necessary swing change ensued, it's been 2 years now but I'm pain free.

x1000, really worth checking because the issue may not be fixed without this. I had ongoing elbow pain and had different types of arthritis braces to help, wasn't until I had a lesson on Trackman that really showed just how steep it was. I've told this before but the instructor asked unprompted if I had elbow pain, I was amazed and asked how he knew. He's like well if I slammed by 6 iron at about 95mph into a range mat at 10* I would have pain too. A necessary swing change ensued, it's been 2 years now but I'm pain free.

yea, I work out 4 days a week and at one point I was hitting golf balls everyday including mats. I developed some golfers elbow but it wasn't that much of an issue, it wouldn't bother me during a rounds. I take a pretty good divot and I think that was adding to it. Following year I started to try shallowing out my impact and that helped.

Alot of bodybuilders/lifters get it and takes awhile to go away. I'm almost positive many pro's have some elbow tendinitis to a degree, nothing that is keeping them out of play though.

I'm in month 6 of acute lead arm lateral epicondyltis, with slight improvement, but some hope. Here are some facts (medical, and based on my experience with prolonged medial and lateral epicondylits). 1. As others have stated, these are all tears. Significant tears will not heal with repetitive trauma. That could be as simple as turning a door knob wrong. Proper rest and patience are the 2 most critical things. I can't stress that enough. 2. I would always take golfers elbow (trail arm medial) over lateral. We use our extensor (lateral) tendon much more with day to day activity. So besides golf, it is fairly easy to rest and more likely to heal quicker in my opinion. The worst to me is lead arm lateral as I have now. It gets reinjured every steep divot or aggressive practice session. Mine occurred with a full velocity swing in the rough, club getting stuck and partial tearing. First lead elbow issue in 20 years, more bad luck than technique or repetition although the healing process at age 60 is not like it would have been in the old days. 3. I have used Theraband for 6 months, and feel qualified to comment on it. If not overdone, I don't see a downside. Healing tendons require stretching and activity, and with the exception of a bit of pain I have seen no prolonged negatives. I would say it has strengthened my arm and provided good stretching, but cannot say with certainty it has promoted healing as advertised. I still would recommend it. 4. Graphite shafts really help. 5. Elbow braces should work in theory. 6. My golfers elbow lasted a few months, was the easiest elbow issue to resolve. My trail arm tennis elbow took a year, and was really slow due to much computer work with a mouse (mouse elbow issue more common cause than tennis- same mechanism. 7. Physical therapy and rest are the only things statistically proven to help at 1 year followup. Cortisone injections are the worst. Other treatments are equivocal.

In the opinion of those who use the Theraband Flexbar, would you say it would be helpful for my wrist tendonitis? I also have a little elbow pain from heavy computer mouse work.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

I don't see how it can hurt unless you overdo it. Try these exercises:

1. Both palms up, Theraband horizontal and bend the ends up so that it forms a U.

2. Both palms down, bend the ends down so that it forms an upside down U

3. Left palm up, right palm down and twist the Theraband.

4. Left palm down, right palm up and twist the opposite direction

5. Both palms down and bend the Theraband so that the U is horizontal.

I don't see how it can hurt unless you overdo it. Try these exercises:

1. Both palms up, Theraband horizontal and bend the ends up so that it forms a U.

2. Both palms down, bend the ends down so that it forms an upside down U

3. Left palm up, right palm down and twist the Theraband.

4. Left palm down, right palm up and twist the opposite direction

5. Both palms down and bend the Theraband so that the U is horizontal.

Just bought a green one at Dick's. Got a chance to try out all the colors/resistances. Thanks for the exercises. Says on the box it strengthens wrists and I found a good video by a doctor explaining very well how and why this thing works. Thank you.

Video is on this page:

https://mojagear.com/training/2017/06/26/gear-know-theraband-flexbar/

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*