RECAPS: The TaylorMade #TwistFaceExperience. 7 GolfWRX members visit The Kingdom for an exclusive M3

Comments

• craz-ecraz-e Members  4370WRX Points: 450Handicap: 3Posts: 4,370 Titanium Tees
    Would love to be fitted like this!

Almost worth the plane trip from Australia!
    Posted:
    Driver = Taylormade SIM 7* Hzrdus green 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Wilson Staff FG59,  4-PW
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Scotty Cameron 2020 Special select Del Mar
    Ball = Taylormade TP5 Pix
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • brushiebrushie Members  481WRX Points: 78Posts: 481 Greens
    Can anyone comment on forgiveness between the M3 fairway and M4 Tour?
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
    Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
    Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
    Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
    Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009
  • campioncampion 3-jack-king Members  652WRX Points: 40Posts: 652 Golden Tee
    scottaz wrote:

I asked the tipping question some of us had issues with in the past.

If you ask for 1/2", you'll get 1.5" with drivers. Ask for 1/2" with fw's, you'll end up with 1".

So if you're ordering, be specific and confirm.

Standard tipping is 1” with driver and 1/2” on fairways?
    Posted:
  • RSinSGRSinSG St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA)ClubWRX  3394WRX Points: 453Handicap: 8.5Posts: 3,394 ClubWRX
    RonSwanson wrote:

Another note, this was my first proper outdoor fitting and I don't think I'll be able to trust an indoor fitting again. The ability to see the actual ball flight is invaluable.

Great report. Thanks, it was very interesting. Above is one little nugget that stood out to me. I agree that getting fit on an outdoor range and watching your ball and not a computer is definitely the way to get a thorough fitting.

I got a complete bag fitting on a range 10+ years ago by a Ping fitter, and while he didn't use Trackman or any electronics (lie board) watching the differences in the shots with different clubs was very helpful. Your write up makes me want to make an appointment at the TM Center in Las Vegas and get a similar 1 on 1 fitting.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Tour AD DI S
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • meldrewmeldrew Members  7WRX Points: 0Posts: 7
    You guys in the states are very lucky!! Maybe Taylormade Europe could do something similar here in the U.K???
    Posted:
    Callaway epic SZ Hzrdus yellow 6.0 76
    Callaway epic SZ 13.5 hzrdus yellow 6.0 76
    Taylormade p790 3 KBS Flt 130
    Taylormade p750 4-w Flt 130
    Vokey 50 & 54 KBS Tour x
    Taylormade spider tour ltd edition
  • Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience ClubWRX  3602WRX Points: 184Posts: 3,602 ClubWRX
    The Taylormade Twistface Experience

I want to express the highest level of gratitude to those at Taylormade and Golfwrx that made this possible especially:
    • Jory – Global Communications for TM
    • Ryan – Consumer Engagement for TM
    • Rob – Golfwrx Moderator and **** of a guy to drink with when you're delirously tired
    • Tom – My fitter for Thursday
    • Mark & Team – Principal Engineer for TM's R&D
    • Scott – Global Brand Manager for TM
    • Brian – product development
    • Ben & team – Staff Engineers for TM's Golf Balls
    • Calvin, Craig, Dewey, Kenton, Scott & Tim for being excellent people to share this experience with

Day One: Arriving at Aviara and Argyles

The hotel was incredible, every detail from the layout to the decorations were perfect. After checking in we hit the range to take our first swings in months. Here are some pictures from the arrival:

Rory McIlroy

Day Two: Taylormade HQ

[url="http://****.com/taylormade-moad-driver/"]http://****.com...de-moad-driver/[/url]

St. Andrews Room

• Taylormade believes this is the future of golf technology.
    • M4 has a 67% larger sweet spot than the 2017 M2
    • Twist face is created by increasing the loft and opening the face on the upper toe (neutralizes toe hooks) and doing the opposite in the heel (neutralizes the heel slice)
    • M4 D-Type is setup visually with a paint scheme to look neutral side by side you probably cannot tell the difference
    • TM has a "Vault" that houses all of the hyper-secret projects.

We watched the Tiger video above (in the picture) and the extended versions of these videos:

Octagon Video

[media=]

Tee Box Video

[media=]

This is the face they were looking at. It is an exaggerated version of the actual product.

The Kingdom

Performance:

I'll never forget the first shot I hit with it, which was well out on the toe. I looked up and to the left to track the flight, yet the ball did not go left, to my surprise it was moving slightly RIGHT?! It was a slight 1 to 2 yard fade. I looked back at my fitter Tom and he sort of nodded in approval with a grin on his face when I said "I thought that one was going left." We dialed this in and when all was said and done I was getting 4 mph better ball speed and about 15+ yards on each shot from better launch conditions. Even a few shots which I hit horribly on the heel were very manageable slight fades.

Aesthetics:

I loved the look of the crown. My biggest complaint about the previous generations is that I dislike having white on the crown. It causes my GC2 to sometimes miss a shot and I think darker colors look better. The silver meets the carbon in a very nice sleek way while somewhat camouflaging the aerodynamic lift that is built into the carbon.

Sound:

The club has a very nice "thwack" sound without any hints of an aluminum bat sound. Even on mishits near the heel it sounds very solid.
    • Short Comparison to M4: I found that the M4 had a flatter trajectory and since we could not adjust the weights for shot shape correction, it seemed like the M3 was the winner for me.

Ball and Golf R&D 101

(PICTURES PROHIBITED)

Next up was the R&D section for clubs and balls. Here we met Mark, Ben and their teams who explained how their tour clubs and prototype balls are created. I am not sure how much detail I am allowed to give here but they can create the tour clubs to exceptional precision due to their use of computer based creation. Skynet is real, people.

Understandably we were prohibited to take any pictures in this section but their upcoming lineups will have some pretty game changing tech and some small tweaks that will be very useful.

Karl Strauss Brewery + In &Out Burger

At this point I was so run down I struggled to not pass out. Ryan, Jory and his crew were very generous with taking us out to two excellent, yet different venues to give us a sampling of what Carlsbad had to offer. Every meal I had in Carlsbad was excellent, even the cafeteria at TM made an outstanding omelette. By the time we went to in and out burger (after a few drinks) I was a zombie. I seriously don't think I have ever went out to get late night food while being that tired in my life.

Day Three: Aviara Golf

The course is beautiful. Great elevation changes and really interesting architecture, except #10 as Tim said earlier. I had the privilidge to play with Mark and Scott. Both guys were at scratch golfers or better. I think Scotts club head speed had to be 117+ which is probably why he was using the same shaft Sergio previously used. It was a Diamana Ahina 100g X flex. WTF?!? I didn't even realize they made shafts like that.

Mark was playing a prototype M driver and since I was in his cart, I got the 202 class on club creation. We spoke about the acoustics involved with club heads, possible futures of where golf club tech is going and other interesting topics about equipment. He even pointed me in the direction of Bob Rotella's books since he quickly realized I am one of the most neurotic people when I am playing at the bottom of my range. Both guys had interesting backstories (one has been training for his job since high school and the other managed a famous record label) and both were super patient with us as we shook off our rust from the previous 3 months.

Conclusion: This was easily the best golf trip I have ever went on. Being at Taylormade was awesome but it was the people who went that amplified the experience.

TLDR: TM has a winner in this Twist Face Technology. The trip was awesome and I am super thankful the people involved who made this a possibility.

Let me know if you have any questions!

NOTE: I have been viciously sick since flying back so it may take few hours before i respond. I had a 7 hour delay in my flight which killed my sleep cycle. I did not get back to my house until early Sunday morning due to some prior obligations and a few American Airlines snafus, they broke my taylormade golf bag while it was encased in my club glove. I had to return back to PHL international to rectify that, plus they would not let me get my debit card that I knew was in my seat from deplaning. I spent the better part of Saturday and early Sunday rectifying that
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Advertisement
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SCClubWRX  6379WRX Points: 175Handicap: 2.4Posts: 6,379 Titanium Tees
    On -, @Gamble: How did you end up in Atmos when there are so many new good shafts to choose from? Was that your starting point?
    Posted:
    "We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers  5872WRX Points: 1,440Posts: 5,872 Titanium Tees
    Chris (Gamble Gamble),

Great write-up! Sorry to hear of your travel difficulties! That sucks, especially when you're run-down and under the weather.

I'm impressed with your photography bro, you almost give Calvin a run for his money. I especially like the photos of Cristie and Anna's lockers, but what the he!l were you doing in the women's locker room??? 😆
    Posted:
    USGA Index: ~0

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • johnny_golfballjohnny_golfball Members  495WRX Points: 85Posts: 495 Greens
    On -, @Gamble- great write up, man!! Sounds like an amazing trip!!
    Posted:
  • CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members  2113WRX Points: 158Posts: 2,113 Platinum Tees
    Well done Mr Gamble. I wish you a speedy recovery.
    Posted:
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members  32230WRX Points: 1,813Posts: 32,230 Titanium Tees
    Did they give you guys any indicators if they will release TWs irons for retail once they are finished?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • WHC888WHC888 Members  2757WRX Points: 295Handicap: 6.7Posts: 2,757 Titanium Tees
    brushie wrote:

from a pure forgiveness perspective M4 Tour/M4 fairway is the winner for me due to the profile of the head. M4 Tour/M4 fairway has a visibly larger footprint and shallower head compare to M3, off the fairway M4 Tour/M4 was much easier to hit. M3 has a smaller footprint and deeper head, probably be better to hit off the tee.
    Posted:
    PING G410 LST 9* w/ Fuji VENTUS
    Taylormade M5 Rocket 3 wood
    Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons KBS FLT
    Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons KBS C Taper Lite
    Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons KBS $ Taper

NIKE OVEN Engage Wedges 46* Mike Taylor Specials

ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet ws8C8Un.jpg
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 49* wedge / KBS $Taper
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 53* wedge / KBS $Taper
    ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 58* wedge / KBS $Taper

Taylormade P7TW on deck

xG7EixQ.png
  • HipCheckHipCheck Twitter @robmillertime The Right CoastMembers  6306WRX Points: 160Posts: 6,306 Titanium Tees

Did they give you guys any indicators if they will release TWs irons for retail once they are finished?

Sorry, Troy. We grilled the guys inside that are responsible but we couldn't pry any info out of them...yet. Even I tried.

We can confirm that the Miura stuff is pure BS but I know you know that already.
    Posted:
    Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
     Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• JStangJStang Members  2866WRX Points: 381Handicap: 7.1Posts: 2,866 Titanium Tees
    Does anyone have any feedback dealing with the TaylorMade Performance Lab in Orlando? This thread has me wanting to get a fitting there.
    Posted:
    G410 LST Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 | 718 T-MB 3,4 | 716 CB 5-PW | Vokey SM6 52, SM7 58 | Cameron SS 350g
  • RonSwansonRonSwanson Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it. ClubWRX  1844WRX Points: 271Handicap: KidsPosts: 1,844 ClubWRX
    WHC888 wrote:

brushie wrote:

from a pure forgiveness perspective M4 Tour/M4 fairway is the winner for me due to the profile of the head. M4 Tour/M4 fairway has a visibly larger footprint and shallower head compare to M3, off the fairway M4 Tour/M4 was much easier to hit. M3 has a smaller footprint and deeper head, probably be better to hit off the tee.

I tested the M3 and M4 Tour fairway, didn't hit the regular M4 as Jason knew it wouldn't be a good fit for me. I preferred the look of the M3 and I thought the face height was perfect if it is going to be used off the tee and from the fairway. While I was being fit, I didn't notice much of a difference in the footprint between the M4 tour and the M3 to be honest. Forgiveness between the two was comparable. The biggest factor in my fitting was going a little shorter in shaft length. I know that has been a bit of a trend in drivers lately, but I highly recommend trying it in fairway woods as well.
    Posted:

TaylorMade SIM 10.5* @ 9.5* - Rogue White 130 70 TX

TaylorMade M5 TI 5 wood 18* @ 17* - Rogue White 130 80 TX

Ping S55 4-PW - DG TI X100

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 50* @ 51*, 54* @ 56* ,60* @ 61* - DG TI S400

TaylorMade Tour Issue Spider X Copper

• dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers  5872WRX Points: 1,440Posts: 5,872 Titanium Tees

Mum was the word on TW's sticks. They were keeping that info very close to the vest and we were definitely prying for info.

We did get to see a back-up set they were building for DJ. Amazing how large, (and shockingly heavy) the block of steel is that it takes to make just a single iron head.

We learned that Justin Rose is very detailed and specific about his equipment and gets intricately involved in the builds & specs. When Sergio was on-board with TM, he was the opposite, pretty laid back about it.
    Posted:

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball

Advertisement
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members  8407WRX Points: 349Handicap: 12.1Posts: 8,407 Titanium Tees
    Chris, very well done! Sorry to hear of so many issues on the back side of the trip.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Callaway Apex CF19  5-A w/KBS $-Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members  32230WRX Points: 1,813Posts: 32,230 Titanium Tees
    dpb5031 wrote:

Mum was the word on TW's sticks. They were keeping that info very close to the vest and we were definitely prying for info.

We did get to see a back-up set they were building for DJ. Amazing how large, (and shockingly heavy) the block of steel is that it takes to make just a single iron head.

We learned that Justin Rose is very detailed and specific about his equipment and gets intricately involved in the builds & specs. When Sergio was on-board with TM, he was the opposite, pretty laid back about it.

Great info, thanks man! Did they say anything about the Sergio split and the fact he signed with Cally?
    Posted:
  • RonSwansonRonSwanson Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it. ClubWRX  1844WRX Points: 271Handicap: KidsPosts: 1,844 ClubWRX

dpb5031 wrote:

Great info, thanks man! Did they say anything about the Sergio split and the fact he signed with Cally?

The only thing I remember them saying is that they don't think he'll have any problem with the woods and irons because he is such a good ball striker and can make any necessary adjustments, but the ball is going to be an issue.
    Posted:

TaylorMade SIM 10.5* @ 9.5* - Rogue White 130 70 TX

TaylorMade M5 TI 5 wood 18* @ 17* - Rogue White 130 80 TX

Ping S55 4-PW - DG TI X100

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 50* @ 51*, 54* @ 56* ,60* @ 61* - DG TI S400

TaylorMade Tour Issue Spider X Copper

• QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX  9190WRX Points: 302Handicap: +2.5Posts: 9,190 ClubWRX
    RonSwanson wrote:

The only thing I remember them saying is that they don't think he'll have any problem with the woods and irons because he is such a good ball striker and can make any necessary adjustments, but the ball is going to be an issue.

I wonder about Sergio with Callway, too. I think they'll eventually find a ball that suits him, since I presume there are many iterations of the Chrome Soft and Rock Ishii is on board now. But I was curious about him going to the Apex MB. He had played cavities for almost a decade; I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Apex Pro or next Apex Pro iteration soon.
    Posted:
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • bambambambam CA/NYMembers  152WRX Points: 130Handicap: + Posts: 152 Fairways
    HipCheck wrote:

Sorry, Troy. We grilled the guys inside that are responsible but we couldn't pry any info out of them...yet. Even I tried.

We can confirm that the Miura stuff is pure BS but I know you know that already.

This was something I was curious about as well. Thanks for asking about this.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX  9190WRX Points: 302Handicap: +2.5Posts: 9,190 ClubWRX
    Great reviews and photographs! I know the schedules are jam-packed and the whole experience is a whirlwind; you have to make a conscious effort to stop to take pictures/notes and update the thread while not detracting from your experience too much. But you guys did a great job documenting the trip for us following along.
    Posted:
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • bambambambam CA/NYMembers  152WRX Points: 130Handicap: + Posts: 152 Fairways
    Great write ups guys.

I’m sorry to hear that you had so much trouble getting back Chris. So much great information! I can’t wait to test these heads out myself!
    Posted:
  • tj__07tj__07 Members  68WRX Points: 20Handicap: 12Posts: 68 Bunkers
    meldrew wrote:

You guys in the states are very lucky!! Maybe Taylormade Europe could do something similar here in the U.K???
    PLEASE!!!
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M2 2016 9.5* Fujikura 60g stiff / Nike Vapor Fly Fubuki 50 X-stiff / Nike Vapor Pro Diamana Blue 60 Stiff
    Mizuno MP-H5 3i Orochi Tour Spec 90 / Nike Vapor Pro 3w Diamana Blue
    Nike Vapor Pro 5w Diamana Blue
    Nike Vapor Pro 4h Diamana Blue
    Mizuno MP5 NS Pro Modus Tour 105 Stiff / Nike Vapor Pro Combo KBS Tour Regular 5-7
    Mizuno MP5 NS Pro 1150 Stiff / Nike Vapor Pro Combo KBS Tour Regular 8-PW
    Titelist Vokey SM6 50* wedge TT Dynamic Gold
    Titelist Vokey SM6 56* wedge TT Dynamic Gold
    Nike Toe Sweep 60* wedge KBS Tour
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5s / GoLo5s CS with Red Mid-size Matador Pistol grip
    Nike RZN Platinum Tour Balls (until they run out)
  • scottazscottaz ClubWRX  2048WRX Points: 245Handicap: 1.6Posts: 2,048 ClubWRX
    I asked who was the easiest and hardest pro to get set up. Sergio was the quick response for easiest.
    Posted:

Ping G400MAX 8.5 TPT 14 proto

Callaway Super Hybrid 17 Hzrdus tour black 105x

Callaway Apex 20 Fujikura pro 115x

Mizuno HMP PW-4 DG TI 100x

Vokey sm7 50f, 55f, 60k DG TI 100x

L.A.B Golf B.2 blade putter

scottaz wrote:

I asked who was the easiest and hardest pro to get set up. Sergio was the quick response for easiest.

It sounds like the guys at TM really liked working with Serg. I bet he will be sorely missed.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    A few additional musings:

Fitting:

If you go for a fitting it's safe to say that it's best to be feeling well physically and swinging your typical swing. I came up goose eggs on both fronts. This was disappointing, but entirely my fault. I also think that too many of us go into long-drive mode during a fitting and that's a mistake as well. You should try to swing the way you would on the course.

When I'm swinging really well I often like to hit what I call a "fade with a draw swing" if that makes sense to anyone? In other words I hit it from the inside, just like a draw, but I rotate very aggressively thru the shot, handle following around to the left so the toe doesn't pass the heel. As long as my body is working (critical because I'm shut at the top) and my swing is in sync, it will produce a shot that looks like it will draw, but ends up fading slightly, lands hot and rolls out. The worst thing that can happen is to double-cross it and have it go left when I'm already aimed slightly left. I think my new M4/Fuji Pro Spec combo plus Twist Face tech should help minimize that occurrence and give me the confidence to pick the right line and really trust it. Fearing left sucks! We'll see...

High Toe Wedges:

The new TaylorMade High Toe wedges are awesome. The shape is very pleasing and less obnoxious looking than some of the other high toe designs by other OEMs. I was extremely impressed with the sole grind as well. I play most of my short wedges around the green with the face open and the bounce exposed, so having the right grind is critical. If I feel it snag the turf or dig at all, I'm out. I hit a bunch of shots with the 60 and 64 and was very impressed, especially considering that the ones I tried were standard lie and I need 2 degrees flat (short with **** arms image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> ).

M3/M4 Fairways:

Boy, these guys are making some nice looking fairway metals! I currently play the M2 Tour and love it, especially off the tee. The new models are super-clean looking and anyone should be able to find a model with the face depth and head shape that most suits his game. It looked to me like the changes in terms of aesthetics are relatively subtle, the M4 Tour being quite similar to my current M2 Tour but with the new cosmetics.

P790 Irons:

After my driver fitting Kurt (my fitter) had me try the 790s with C-Taper Lite X flex. My current irons are i200s with Nippon 105 X. I could easily throw the 790s right in the bag as they have a similar profile and footprint. They are really long and I hit the C-Tapers a little straighter than my Nippons (straight v. slight draw).

I spoke with Brian Bazzel (VP Product Creation) about the 790s. I asked if guys were doing combo sets, marrying the 790 long irons with the 750s and 770s. He said emphatically yes, and in fact he's playing the 770s in his short irons but the 790s in 7 iron on up. My daughter is a D1 collegiate golfer playing the 770s. I'm going to get her the 790s in 5,6, & 7 iron. The higher launch and added distance are too much of an advantage to pass up. I know she'll love 'em, just might have to tweak lofts for gapping.

Hybrids:

I did not hit the M3 and M4 hybrids because by the time I got around to checking them out I was simply out of gas and had already cooled down. I can tell you that aesthetically they are gorgeous. The M3 is compact but not intimidating looking. The shape is very appealing to me and it looks like it would be great out of the rough! I will definitely be testing the M3 hybrids at some point this season.

M4 Irons:

Thursday prior to our fittings we watched a video of the TM staff Tour pros hitting an M4 4 iron. It was pretty funny because they were smoking this thing and could not believe how long, high, and straight they were hitting it. Seemed like the harder they hit it, the straighter it went. DJ smoked one out there 296 yards...YES, I said 4 iron!!!

So, when we got over to the Kingdom they had the exact same club that was built to spec for DJ...M4 four iron, X100 shaft. They put us all to a challenge. Two swings and if anyone could hit it farther than DJ did, he'd get to keep the exact club...the same one DJ was testing in the video! I hit two perfect towering shots with this thing that literally landed within a yard or two of one another. I was absolutely shocked when Trackman indicated shots of 239 and 240 yards!!! Kenton and Scott hit that thing damned near 270...and high!!! #whoneedshybrids

Seriously, if you're a player who can't get along with hybrids or otherwise wants a distance iron, the new M4 irons are worth a try!

That's it for now! Keep the questions coming...
    Posted:

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members  7372WRX Points: 422Handicap: 5Posts: 7,372 Titanium Tees
    Dewey......you recommend 790 or M4 as a replacement for PSI forged tour long iron? Not a hybrid fan even though I'm old and beat up mind you.....oh short, lowball hitter....ugh!!
    Posted:
  • KC4441KC4441 KCClubWRX  819WRX Points: 120Handicap: 1.7Posts: 819 ClubWRX
    Sorry if I missed this, but did anyone of you go from the 2017 M1 to the new M3/M4? If so how did they compare? Thanks.
    Posted:
    SIM 8.0 
    SIM Rocket 3 wood 
    P790 3-7
    P770 8-PW
    TM MG 50 
    Hi Toe 54/58
    MySpider X 
    TP5
    TMAG Tour Preferred Locker

Advertisement
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13773WRX Points: 2,626Handicap: 0.9 >< 3.8Posts: 13,773 Titanium Tees
    I am still confused as to whether a 62* High Toe LW is coming or not

I MUST GET ONE OF THOSE !!

Different answers in different replies, some say yes and some say just 60 and 64

GREAT WRITE UPS GUYS !!!
    Posted:

Ping G400 LST 10.6* GD BB 7s
    Ping G400 3w 13.5* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Ping Blueprint 6 - PW UST Recoil 110
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400 onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite torched

This discussion has been closed.