New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

18910111214»

Comments

• Ogden51Ogden51 AustraliaMembers Posts: 189 ✭✭
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members Posts: 3,520 ✭✭
    I played both this weekend and do not like either one. Too spinny.
    Cobra F8+ 10.5*, Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 39 R

Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 S

Ping G400 hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta 70 R

Cobra F7 5-GW, R flex steel
    Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

Ping Zing 2 TR 34"

• lil'mikelil'mike Members Posts: 1,264 ✭✭
    Ogden51 wrote:

^^

Dang, you should send that pic to Callaway and see what they say!
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,714 ✭✭
    MrJones wrote:

I played a round with the CS-X and didn't care for it. To me the appeal of the CS was the feel while still having plenty of short game spin. The X (at least the new one) played fine from tee to green, nothing really special about it.

Around the greens though, it felt hard and almost dead. I didn't like it at all on short wedge shots and chips. I also wasn't a fan of it off the putter. Overall it just really didn't stand out anywhere and had none of the qualities I love about the Chrome Soft. One of my buddies, who is a better golfer than I, had the same experience. We both gave our sample pack balls away after the round.

Really disappointed to hear this. The 17 CSX was just about the perfect ball for my game. As long as any tour ball, good solid but not harsh feel, lots of grip on approaches and around the greens, durable, and nice solid feel off the putter. Sounds like the 18 is not an improvement. Looks like I will be stocking up on 17 CSX while they're still out there.
    lil wrote:

Ogden51 wrote:

^^

Dang, you should send that pic to Callaway and see what they say!

Yeah mate I did, not much was said though. Got a replacement sleeve
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,177 ✭✭
    That ball looked like it got ran over
    BiggErn wrote:

Can promise you it didn't mate. Have a feeling it had internally cracked before the cover. Hit a drive that had a funky flight to then hit a full wedge that came up 30yards short and saw the split. You can see the discolouration beside the split and it had that line in it for a hole or 2 before.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,177 ✭✭
    Ogden51 wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

Can promise you it didn't mate. Have a feeling it had internally cracked before the cover. Hit a drive that had a funky flight to then hit a full wedge that came up 30yards short and saw the split. You can see the discolouration beside the split and it had that line in it for a hole or 2 before.

Not doubting you just saying it looks like it was crushed or like one of the cheap range balls that get hit with the mower blade. I guess a bad apple gets through on occasion.
  • mct100mssmct100mss Members Posts: 40
    I just got a bunch of the CS 2018 balls as a gift. Are they any good for a better player?

May just move them along as I don’t like looking at the dimple pattern.
  • spartY84spartY84 Posts: 92 ✭✭
    mct100mss wrote:

I just got a bunch of the CS 2018 balls as a gift. Are they any good for a better player?

May just move them along as I don’t like looking at the dimple pattern.

They’re on par with other tour balls, yes.
18910111214»