We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

Comments

• nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6127WRX Points: 868Members Posts: 6,127
    ebbowron wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Going to come down to CSX, TP5 or new ProV for me this year.

I got two sleeves of each and tried both. Unfortunately, I did not hit it nearly as well as I had hoped, and it wont be knocking the TP5x out of the bag. I was surprised to be honest. The feel was great, and they seemed more durable than the last model, but, for whatever reason, I was knocking the TP5x at least 15 yards longer, without sacrificing anything around the greens. Like I said, I was surprised, and a little bummed. Maybe it was just me, on those holes, on that day.

The NEW ones ? They're not in stores yet, are they ?
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • moose05moose05  85WRX Points: 22Members Posts: 85
    nsxguy wrote:

ebbowron wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

I got two sleeves of each and tried both. Unfortunately, I did not hit it nearly as well as I had hoped, and it wont be knocking the TP5x out of the bag. I was surprised to be honest. The feel was great, and they seemed more durable than the last model, but, for whatever reason, I was knocking the TP5x at least 15 yards longer, without sacrificing anything around the greens. Like I said, I was surprised, and a little bummed. Maybe it was just me, on those holes, on that day.

pre order beginning of feb
    Posted:
  • littled1212littled1212 Nuts  1012WRX Points: 94Members Posts: 1,012
    ebbowron wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

15 yards!!!! Hmmmmm
    Posted:
  • cmatthews77cmatthews77 AL 880WRX Points: 105Members Posts: 880
    I played the Chrome Soft X for 2017 even at my moderate 95mph driver speed because I felt like it spun much better on pitch and chip shots. Just reading the Cally PR stuff with the launch of the 2018 version I may be better off with the regular Chrome Soft???
    Posted:
    Callaway
    Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree - Hzrdus Yellow HC
    GBB Epic 3W (14) - Fubuki ax 
    GBB Epic 5W (18) - Project X HZRDUS
    Apex 3 (20) & 4 (23) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
    '16 Apex CF16 (5i), '16 Apex Pro (6,7), '18 Apex MB (8-PW) Recoil 95
    MD3 Black 52 & '19 PM Grind 58
    Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta
  • Lacey UnderallLacey Underall  1209WRX Points: 107Members Posts: 1,209
    Graphene = strongest material in the world? I'll give Callaway a lot of credit. Their hype machine is doing some good work. I'm still not sure about the new price point however.
    Posted:
    2019 WITB
    Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub-Zero 10.5* - Aldila Rogue Max 75x
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* - Aldila Rogue Max 85x
    2-PW: Callaway X-Prototype MBs - Project X 6.5 flighted
    52* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
    58* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
    Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth Versa
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX  9150WRX Points: 277ClubWRX Posts: 9,150

Graphene = strongest material in the world? I'll give Callaway a lot of credit. Their hype machine is doing some good work. I'm still not sure about the new price point however.

According to the Nobel Prize press release:
    Graphene is a form of carbon. As a material it is completely new – not only the thinnest ever but also the strongest.
    Posted:
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram

Advertisement
  • ebbowronebbowron  405WRX Points: 81Members Posts: 405
    nsxguy wrote:

ebbowron wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

yeah, I went to a Callaway Staff event and they gave us two sleeves of each.
    Posted:
  • ebbowronebbowron  405WRX Points: 81Members Posts: 405

ebbowron wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

15 yards!!!! Hmmmmm

I know. Its a lot. Too be fair, I think maybe it was just some early swings in the round. I played 18 with the CS, and it seemed OK, but it was on a relatively short course, so I couldn't really tell, but it seemed a tad shorter. I then played a more traditional course the next day, front 9 with CSX, and back with TP5 X. It just seemed night and day to me. Maybe because it was colder and windier than usual here in Phoenix (sorry east coasters, that means like 55 degrees).

To be honest, I gotta think it was me. Ill probably give it another go.
    Posted:
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan...  7974WRX Points: 553Members Posts: 7,974
    Still available in yellow?
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • jjones922jjones922  106WRX Points: 18Members Posts: 106
    Yellow and truvis according to the press release.
    Posted:
  • Jdavenp3Jdavenp3  868WRX Points: 130Members Posts: 868
    I saw a release where a lot of limited release Truvis colors coming this year as well. I would assume the typical pink, and then get some for each major.
    Posted:
    WITB:

*Taylormade M4 8.75* Evenflow Black HC 6.0 65g
    *Taylormade M3 15* Tensei Blue
    *Ping i25 Hybrid 18*
    *Taylormade P790 4-AW Nippon Modus 105 T stiff
    *Taylormade MG2 Matte Nippon Modus 115 54/58*
    *Taylormade Spider X-navy w/ single sightline
    *2019 ProV1X-yellow
    *Nike camo cart bag.
    *Nike Vapor React 2 & Nike Air Max 1g

Advertisement
    Jdavenp3 wrote:

I saw a release where a lot of limited release Truvis colors coming this year as well. I would assume the typical pink, and then get some for each major.

And to all of Team Truvis, have no fear... Chrome Soft '18 will be offered in White and Red, Yellow and Black + more limited edition releases throughout the year.
    Posted:
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

• left hand lowleft hand low  804WRX Points: 54Members Posts: 804
    The move by Callaway to charge an extra 5 bucks is just a classic business move. They sucked you in to their product with the lower price point, you see how good it is compared to industry leader and get hooked. They make an improvement to it and bump the price but still stay lower than the competitor. What’s the problem? I have not been impressed with the Pro V for some time. Last year I never even put one in play. There are better and cheaper balls like CS and MTB. Callaway is making a savvy move and it’s still cheaper than PV and TP5. The only decision you have to make is if you play a ball like MTB, Vice, etc
    Posted:
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan  6800WRX Points: 67Members Posts: 6,800

From explainthatstuff.com

So what exactly is graphene?

The remarkable thing about graphene is that its crystalline structure is two-dimensional. In other words, the atoms in graphene are laid out flat, like billiard balls on a table. Each layer is made of hexagonal "rings" of carbon (like lots of benzene rings connected together, only with more carbon atoms replacing the hydrogen atoms around the edge), giving a honeycomb-like appearance. Since the layers themselves are just one atom high, you'd need a stack of about three million of these layers to make graphene 1mm thick!

Strength and stiffness

If you've ever scribbled with a soft pencil (something like a 4B), you'll know that graphite is horribly soft. That's because the carbon layers inside a stick of graphite shave off very easily. But the atoms within those layers are very tightly bonded so, like carbon nanotubes (and unlike graphite), graphene is super-strong—even stronger than diamond! Graphene is believed to be the strongest material yet discovered, some 200 times stronger than steel. Remarkably, it's both stiff and elastic (like rubber), so you can stretch it by an amazing amount (20-25 percent of its original length) without it breaking. That's because the flat planes of carbon atoms in graphene can flex relatively easily without the atoms breaking apart.

No-one knows quite what to do with graphene's super-strong properties, but one likely possibility is mixing it with other materials (such as plastics) to make composites that are stronger and tougher, but also thinner and lighter, than any materials we have now. Imagine an energy-saving car with super-strong, super-thin, super-light plastic body panels reinforced with graphene; that's the kind of object we might envisage appearing in a future turned upside down by this amazing material!

Thinness and lightness

Something that's only one atom thick is bound to be pretty light. Apparently, you could cover a football field with a sheet of graphene weighing less than a gram—although it's pretty unlikely anyone has actually tried! According to my quick calculations, that means if you could cover the entire United States with graphene, you'd only need a mass of around 1500–2000 tons. That might sound a lot, but it's only about as much as about 1500 cars—and it's completely covering one of the world's biggest countries!
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • otwotw Doug Ferreri  336WRX Points: 106Members Posts: 336
    At the PGA show. Callaway had a trackman set up. Distance gains with 7 iron and new golf ball ranged from 4 to 10 yds while I was there.

All shots into a net. Had White and Truvis there.
    Posted:
    "Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.paulbertholy.com

www.dougferreri.com
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6127WRX Points: 868Members Posts: 6,127
    Just think of all the adjusting players are going to have to do considering what club to hit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, image/einstein.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beruo:' />
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

Advertisement
  • campioncampion 3-jack-king  652WRX Points: 35Members Posts: 652
    otw wrote:

At the PGA show. Callaway had a trackman set up. Distance gains with 7 iron and new golf ball ranged from 4 to 10 yds while I was there.

Where they hitting them against last years ball, and where did the gain come from? Speed, lower spin, higher launch? 4 to 10 is a lot of distance.
    Posted:
    campion wrote:

otw wrote:

Where they hitting them against last years ball, and where did the gain come from? Speed, lower spin, higher launch? 4 to 10 is a lot of distance.
    Against Pro V1 or Pro VX. Ball speed up for each player I saw
    Posted:

www.paulbertholy.com

www.dougferreri.com
  • campioncampion 3-jack-king  652WRX Points: 35Members Posts: 652
    otw wrote:

campion wrote:

otw wrote:

Nice that’s very promising.. did you hit it?
    Posted:
  • pingbling23pingbling23  224WRX Points: 25Members Posts: 224
    Glad new balls are coming, just snagged 4 dozen 2016 CSfor $26 per on eBay.
    Posted:
    Ping G 10.5* Tour 65 S
    Ping G30 3 & 5 Fwy
    Ping G25 3-W CFS X
    Ping Gorge 52*, 56*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/Ping Sigma G Anser
  • MBBGMBBG South of Chicagoland 1611WRX Points: 174Members Posts: 1,611
    Hasn’t ball speed has been maxed out forever
    Posted:
    ONOFF Labospec 358 Tour AD TP6 
    TaylorMade Original One 13.5* HZRDUS Green
    Titleist TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage XM
    Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3-6 MP-20 Blade 7-P DG AMT
    Mizuno T20 50 and 55 S400 TI 
    Callaway PM Grind 60
    PXG Operator “Darkness” edition 

Advertisement
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 2957WRX Points: 414Members Posts: 2,957
    MBBG wrote:

Hasn’t ball speed has been maxed out forever

Pretty much! I see this is why golf ball are now “high launch/low spin”. Manufacturers realized a high flying steep descending golf ball adds distance without sacrificing the ability to stop the ball on the green. Plus these balls are straighter and less affected by wind. The soft cover helps provide spin on shots around the green. The two drawbacks to this ball design are getting the odd knuckle ball that goes long and less cover durability.
    Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 10.5° driver MCA Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood MCA Diamana BF 60 S Flex

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MCA MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Titleist Yellow Pro V1x

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° driver MCA Diamana DF 50 S Flex

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid MCA MMT 90 S Flex

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang

campion wrote:

otw wrote:

campion wrote:

otw wrote:

Nice that’s very promising.. did you hit it?
    The line was too long will get a sample pack today at the convention center. Did get to hit the Rogue Driver with Aerotech TiFiber shaft which is a long combo. Also hit Rogue pro 4 iron which is easy to elevate and carries a long way.
    Posted:

www.paulbertholy.com

www.dougferreri.com
  • BrizamBrizam Junkie  976WRX Points: 137ClubWRX Posts: 976
    HUGE mistake moving the price up to $44.99

I think a large part of the appeal of the Chrome Soft line of balls is the price point. I wont be surprised to see market share slip a little bit with the higher price.

I tested the '18 CSX and really liked it. Does every thing I want a ball to do. but at $5 more than my Srixon Z-Star
    Posted:
    Brizam wrote:

I think a large part of the appeal of the Chrome Soft line of balls is the price point. I wont be surprised to see market share slip a little bit with the higher price.

I tested the '18 CSX and really liked it. Does every thing I want a ball to do. but at $5 more than my Srixon Z-Star

I agree, jumping to $45 is a mistake. With the addition of Graphene, I can understand a small price increase, but go to $42.XX.

TP5 line is also $45, right? What are they asking for ProV1 these days? image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />
    Posted:
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany wrote:

Brizam wrote:

I agree, jumping to $45 is a mistake. With the addition of Graphene, I can understand a small price increase, but go to $42.XX.

TP5 line is also $45, right? What are they asking for ProV1 these days? image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />

When Titleist does its 4 dz for price of 3 with customization on March 15, price per dz may be about $38/dz - $150-60. I suspect a lot of ProV1s will be sold.

But if early reports are true, I think the CS18 will fly off the shelves initially - distance and greenside spin sells.
    Posted:

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8

Advertisement
    SwingMan wrote:

When Titleist does its 4 dz for price of 3 with customization on March 15, price per dz may be about $38/dz - $150-60. I suspect a lot of ProV1s will be sold.

Non-promotion, what is MSRP now, $48?
    Posted:
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany wrote:

SwingMan wrote:

Non-promotion, what is MSRP now, $48?

Titleist says it is $56
    Posted:

• kobes31kobes31 EFF  802WRX Points: 86Members Posts: 802
    Anyone compare these with Snell MTB yet?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • MdemuthMdemuth  110WRX Points: 1Members Posts: 110
    Can't wait to try them, but I don't know how they could make it better for me than they already are. I'm locked in on the 2016 CS version.

I've played the best golf of my life with CS 2016. My only complaint about the 2016 CS ball was the cover and ink weren't durable.
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9 Degree Diamana BF 70
    Callaway Alpha 816 13 Degree Aldila Rogue 110MSI 70g
    Callaway Apex 20 degree Hybrid Kuro Kage H-80g
    Callaway Apex Pro 4-A KBS Tour V
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2, Tour Grind 56, 60 Degree
    Odyssey O-Works Black #1
    Callaway Chrome Soft

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.