We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

Comments

• xxioxxio Cebu, Philippines 5782Members Posts: 5,782
    I still have 1 doz of the '16 left.

Saving them for the Club Championships.

I won the B Flight with them last year.

The '17 doesn't feel as soft off the putter and seems to be lower trajectory off the driver. I use those for regular play.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6092Members Posts: 6,092
    QMany wrote:

Brizam wrote:

HUGE mistake moving the price up to $44.99

I think a large part of the appeal of the Chrome Soft line of balls is the price point. I wont be surprised to see market share slip a little bit with the higher price.

I tested the '18 CSX and really liked it. Does every thing I want a ball to do. but at $5 more than my Srixon Z-Star

I agree, jumping to $45 is a mistake. With the addition of Graphene, I can understand a small price increase, but go to $42.XX.

TP5 line is also $45, right? What are they asking for ProV1 these days? image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />

May I ask how many balls you go through in a typical round ?

I mean you DO realize you're talking about $.50 cents per ball, yes ?
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • grm24grm24 Western PA 3872Members Posts: 3,872
    QMany wrote:

SwingMan wrote:

When Titleist does its 4 dz for price of 3 with customization on March 15, price per dz may be about $38/dz - $150-60. I suspect a lot of ProV1s will be sold.

Non-promotion, what is MSRP now, $48?
    MSRP for the Pro-V1 line is $62. Street price is $47.99
    Posted:
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SC 6376ClubWRX Posts: 6,376
    Rep was at local course yesterday...told him love cs x and he handed me sleeve of new ball. Cutaway shows completely different ball. Initially I thought it was a tad bit harder...can't really say for sure without side by side. Also think it flies a bit lower. Still love last years for sure. New irons looked great!
    Posted:
    "We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful  1248Members Posts: 1,248
    nsxguy wrote:

QMany wrote:

Brizam wrote:

I think a large part of the appeal of the Chrome Soft line of balls is the price point. I wont be surprised to see market share slip a little bit with the higher price.

I tested the '18 CSX and really liked it. Does every thing I want a ball to do. but at $5 more than my Srixon Z-Star

I agree, jumping to $45 is a mistake. With the addition of Graphene, I can understand a small price increase, but go to $42.XX.

TP5 line is also $45, right? What are they asking for ProV1 these days? image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />

You really don't like it when people complain about the cost of balls do you?
    Posted:

nsxguy wrote:

QMany wrote:

Brizam wrote:

You really don't like it when people complain about the cost of balls do you?

My, and your(?), ancestors had a saying - "Penny-wise and pound foolish". It's a point I actually agree with. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Titleist AVX

Advertisement
  • sirparalotsirparalot  742Members Posts: 742
    Saw the ball and hit the ball at the PGA show. They were only allowing you to hit with irons into net at demo day image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> They were doing comparison to proV vs CS to show ball speed improvement. Ball speed was a solid 2-3 mph better vs. proV for just about every golfer who was doing the challenge. They were posting results on a scoreboard. They are really hyping the ball speed with irons as the true differentiator. Ball felt great (similar to CS16 feel). I also spent some time with the head of ball R&D and he said CS and CSX are very close in performance tee to green and most people will not see a difference between the 2 if they carry a SS of 95-105 so you could play either ball without worrying about distance/performance loss. The difference will be seen around the green where the softer cover of the CSX will create more spin. They gave me a couple of CS and a CSX to try out on the course. Should be giving them a go early next week.
    Posted:
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan...  7974Members Posts: 7,974
    sirparalot wrote:

Saw the ball and hit the ball at the PGA show. They were only allowing you to hit with irons into net at demo day image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> They were doing comparison to proV vs CS to show ball speed improvement. Ball speed was a solid 2-3 mph better vs. proV for just about every golfer who was doing the challenge. They were posting results on a scoreboard. They are really hyping the ball speed with irons as the true differentiator. Ball felt great (similar to CS16 feel). I also spent some time with the head of ball R&D and he said CS and CSX are very close in performance tee to green and most people will not see a difference between the 2 if they carry a SS of 95-105 so you could play either ball without worrying about distance/performance loss. The difference will be seen around the green where the softer cover of the CSX will create more spin. They gave me a couple of CS and a CSX to try out on the course. Should be giving them a go early next week.

Interesting that X versions of balls (CSX, ProV1x, TP5x) are all of a sudden the spinnier versions. From what you are saying, I would want the CSX as my SS is between 95 & 100 and prefer a spinnier ball.
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
    Konklifer wrote:

sirparalot wrote:

Interesting that X versions of balls (CSX, ProV1x, TP5x) are all of a sudden the spinnier versions. From what you are saying, I would want the CSX as my SS is between 95 & 100 and prefer a spinnier ball.

Yes he told me I would not tell the difference tee to green (I have 97mph ss). If 1 hop and stop is your style of short game play than X is what he recommended. He was very adamant that their goal was to create the balls so that there was little difference between them for most golfers tee to green. They focused on spin slope in the short game as the differentiating factor.
    Posted:
  • LondonerLondoner  1176Members Posts: 1,176
    Graphene is currently approx £70 per gramm so we can guess how much is in each ball. And whatever happend to Titanium in balls? image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    Posted:
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • aussiebaussieb  830Lefty Boomers Posts: 830
    Can anybody confirm for me that when graphene is put into compression, the tension values increase exponentially? In other words, the harder the hit the ball, the stronger the bonds become. I seem to remember with Head R&D that the faster you swung the racket, the firmer it would play.
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5*, Accra Tour Zx475 M5, 44.5" ST190 15*, GD Quattrotech 8X, 42.5" Ping G400 19*, Accra XH85, 41" Srixon U65 18*, GD DI-105X, 40", CallawayUT 21*, GD DI-95X, MP20 5-P, $-Taper 130X T20 50*7, 54*8,60*6 Modus Wedge 125 Toulon San Diego 33.5" 2019 Srixon XV

Advertisement
  • LondonerLondoner  1176Members Posts: 1,176
    aussieb wrote:

Can anybody confirm for me that when graphene is put into compression, the tension values increase exponentially? In other words, the harder the hit the ball, the stronger the bonds become. I seem to remember with Head R&D that the faster you swung the racket, the firmer it would play.

I think you're thinkjng of crazy putty. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    Posted:
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • aussiebaussieb  830Lefty Boomers Posts: 830
    Londoner wrote:

aussieb wrote:

I think you're thinkjng of crazy putty. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

Never mind I found the dynamic response of graphene. It's a nano-composite that behaves differently because of the non-planar bonds. Resonance anomalies observed that are still unexplained. Cooler than crazy putty....
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5*, Accra Tour Zx475 M5, 44.5" ST190 15*, GD Quattrotech 8X, 42.5" Ping G400 19*, Accra XH85, 41" Srixon U65 18*, GD DI-105X, 40", CallawayUT 21*, GD DI-95X, MP20 5-P, $-Taper 130X T20 50*7, 54*8,60*6 Modus Wedge 125 Toulon San Diego 33.5" 2019 Srixon XV
  • kermitmkermitm  235ClubWRX Posts: 235
    Am I correct in saying that the CSX will provide more spin around the green? If so, how is this possible. Thanks for your help
    Posted:
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett  3463Members Posts: 3,463
    kermitm wrote:

Am I correct in saying that the CSX will provide more spin around the green? If so, how is this possible. Thanks for your help
    They altered the thickness of the urethane in the cover.

edit: I have two dozen already and have played the ball. It is excellent. Grab a box when they come out, you will not be disappointed!
    Posted:
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • endyendy  3350Members Posts: 3,350

kermitm wrote:

edit: I have two dozen already and have played the ball. It is excellent. Grab a box when they come out, you will not be disappointed!

Any comparisons to the TP5X or Srixon Z Star XV ??
    Posted:
    Srixon Z785 9.5* Fuji Ventus 7X
    Srixon F85 13.5* Atmos Black TS 8TX
    Srixon H85 19* Oban Kiyoshi Black 90X
    Srixon Z785 4-PW KBS $-Taper 130X
    Cleveland RTX-4 50/54/60 TI S400
    Toulon Garage Columbus
    Srixon Z-Star XV

Advertisement
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett  3463Members Posts: 3,463
    endy wrote:

kermitm wrote:

Endy, The '17 SRiXON Z XV is in my Sig. I find it to be a very firm ball, but I have gotten used to this and now prefer the feel of it. The Z XV is as good as it gets IMO for my game.

Over time I've been given numerous sleeves of TP5 & TP5x and gave them all away... except one, and I played it. Admittedly I am not a TaylorMade guy and don't go out of my way to hype them up. But I'll still be completely candid when something I usually don't like kicks
    On -, @ss... the golf ball is incredible. IMO it may be the best
    overall tour ball on the market. There is nothing it doesn't do well. And I would definitely give it slightly better marks in terms of "feel" (and let's be honest, who really knows what that means... it's completely subjective, and different to/for each player) compared to Z XV.

CS X 2018 is just that, a Chrome Soft. IMO it has nothing to do with the other two balls and is in a category unto itself. Soft, soft, soft is the only way I can describe it. Not noting this in a negative way, it's just completely different. I was impressed with this particular Chrome Soft ball off the driver (yay graphene!). It doesn't spin much and subsequently has a very nice decent angle. All irons and through the wedges were stellar. edit: Definitely saw the extra "softness" come out of it around the green. To me it feels exquisite. image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • hurricanes7hurricanes7  2846Members Posts: 2,846
    i think Graphene is my new favorite word
    Posted:
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]DRIVER- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
    3 WOOD- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
    HYBRID- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
    IRONS- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
    GAP- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
    SAND- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
    LOB- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
    PUTTER- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
    BALL- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font]
  • wldchld22wldchld22  3369Members Posts: 3,369
    Posted:
  • MorryMorry  867Members Posts: 867
    endy wrote:

kermitm wrote:

Keenly interested in the same - new CSx vs. XV
    Posted:
    Ping G410 12.0 - Ventus Red 6R 
    TM M6 5W - Fuji Evo III 757 S
    Srixon U65 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85 6.0
    Taylormade 760 4-P - Modus 105-X
    Cleveland RTX-4 52, 56, 60 - Modus wedge 115,115,125
    Odyssey V-Line Fang O-Works - Stability Shaft 
    CS-X  
  • Hat TrickHat Trick  569Members Posts: 569
    You will have to look close at the packaging... I was at Golf Galaxy yesterday and they were selling the old and new versions for $39.99 (not the 31.99 for the old that they were priced at).
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, Illinois 5814Members Posts: 5,814

i think Graphene is my new favorite word

Mine too. I think I'll try it in my coffee.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23 Hybrids 
    Mizuno MP 20SEL 6-PW
    Ping,54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X
  • endyendy  3350Members Posts: 3,350

endy wrote:

kermitm wrote:

Endy, The '17 SRiXON Z XV is in my Sig. I find it to be a very firm ball, but I have gotten used to it and now prefer the feel of it. The Z XV is as good as it gets IMO for my game.

Over time I've been given numerous sleeves of TP5 & TP5x and gave them all away... except one. Admittedly I am not a TaylorMade guy and don't go out of my way to hype them up. But I'll still be completely candid when something I usually don't like kicks
    On -, @ss... the golf ball is incredible. IMO it may be the best
    overall tour ball on the market. There is nothing it doesn't do well. And I would definitely give it slightly better marks in terms of "feel" (and let's be honest, who really knows what that means... it's completely subjective, and different to/for each player) compared to Z XV.

CS X 2018 is just that, a Chrome Soft. IMO it has nothing to do with the other two balls and is in a category unto itself. Soft, soft, soft is the only way I can describe it. Not noting this in a negative way, it's just completely different. I was impressed with this particular Chrome Soft ball off the driver. It doesn't spin much and subsequently has a very nice decent angle. All irons and through the wedges were stellar. edit: Definitely saw the extra "softness" come out of it around the green. To me it feels exquisite. image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />

Thanks! Might have to give it a try. I play the 17 XV myself and have a few sleeves of the TP5X left. The XV is definitely a firmer ball but like you said you get used to it since it does everything well.
    Posted:
    Srixon Z785 9.5* Fuji Ventus 7X
    Srixon F85 13.5* Atmos Black TS 8TX
    Srixon H85 19* Oban Kiyoshi Black 90X
    Srixon Z785 4-PW KBS $-Taper 130X
    Cleveland RTX-4 50/54/60 TI S400
    Toulon Garage Columbus
    Srixon Z-Star XV
    kermitm wrote:

The cover material on the X is softer allowing it to grab the grooves a bit more and spin a bit higher around the green. Here is the info straight off Callaway's site:

Which Ball Should You Play?

Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X both deliver the same core performance attributes for fast ball speeds, soft feel and great short game control. But if you want an easy way to differentiate between the two, here it is:

Chrome Soft: Softest feel, best forgiveness, straight flight

Chrome Soft X: Soft feel, high forgiveness, workable flight
    Posted:
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, Illinois 5814Members Posts: 5,814
    God how I love marketing!! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23 Hybrids 
    Mizuno MP 20SEL 6-PW
    Ping,54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X
    sirparalot wrote:

Konklifer wrote:

sirparalot wrote:

Yes he told me I would not tell the difference tee to green (I have 97mph ss). If 1 hop and stop is your style of short game play than X is what he recommended. He was very adamant that their goal was to create the balls so that there was little difference between them for most golfers tee to green. They focused on spin slope in the short game as the differentiating factor.

This differentiating factor is Excellent news

It does, however, seem to contradict the statement on the website

which is it then?

since not being able to tell the difference tee to green outside of pitch/chip and "workable flight" are 2 very different animals

any more insight appreciated
    Posted:
    CS-X  

Advertisement
    sirparalot wrote:

The cover material on the X is softer allowing it to grab the grooves a bit more and spin a bit higher around the green. Here is the info straight off Callaway's site:

Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X both deliver the same core performance attributes for fast ball speeds, soft feel and great short game control. But if you want an easy way to differentiate between the two, here it is:

Translation

spins less

spins more

image/hi.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':hi:' />

Morry wrote:

sirparalot wrote:

Konklifer wrote:

sirparalot wrote:

This differentiating factor is Excellent news

It does, however, seem to contradict the statement on the website

which is it then?

since not being able to tell the difference tee to green outside of pitch/chip and "workable flight" are 2 very different animals

any more insight appreciated

See above.
    Posted:

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Titleist AVX
    thanks - I understand, but You sure can notice more spin tee to green though

so I would still like a little more insight into the difference for these if any outside on just spin overall

I find the tp5 has a lot more spin tee to green (outside of pitch/chip) than the tp5x for instance

wondering if this is the same or different profile

appreciated
    Posted:
    CS-X  
  • neild76neild76  333Members Posts: 333
    sirparalot wrote:

kermitm wrote:

Can we use this as a general rule for all premium balls using the regular and X markings?

It seems like all of the manufacturers are trying to line up on that, which makes sense. But I'm still fairly confused.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • StumpnavStumpnav  150Members Posts: 150
    I've had a chance to test the CSX18 for about a month. It spins less off the driver and I have been getting about 10 yds more with it than the CS17. The shorter the club, the more spin it seems to have. Stops better on pitches and chips than the CS17 or CSX17.
    Posted:
    Epic 9.0 T800
    Epic 3W
    Epic Heavenwood
    (or Callaway UT XForged 18*)
    Callaway XForged 4-6
    Callaway MB 7-A
    Callaway MD Forged 56, 60
    Odyssey RSX001
    Chrome Soft X 18

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.