ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

123457

Comments

  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Advanced Members Posts: 1,094 ✭✭
    How the the CS sound off the putter? Does it have click or a thud? Is it a dull sound or.more of a sharper sound? I like the idea of it being soft, hopefully softer than last Year’s. For those that have played it please let me know.
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner Advanced Members Posts: 879 ✭✭
    GRAPHENE IS LIQUID METAL
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Advanced Members Posts: 566 ✭✭
    AmazinBlue wrote:


    How the the CS sound off the putter? Does it have click or a thud? Is it a dull sound or.more of a sharper sound? I like the idea of it being soft, hopefully softer than last Year's. For those that have played it please let me know.




    To me it is more of a thud than a click. The CSX feels similar to the Qstar Tour with a slightly more muted thud. The CS to me is closer in feel and sound to the Bridgestone Tour B RXS. I don't really feel that it is much softer than last years CS off the putter.
    WITB

    Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60g
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne (adjusted to 32")
    Snell MTB Black
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Advanced Members Posts: 3,435 ✭✭
    Played with the CSX yesterday, perfect conditions here in Los Angeles. 75*, little to no breeze,fairways brown and fast. Off the driver, the 18 CSX is an improvement in feel, over the 18 CS, little harder and trajectory a little lower. But it did some crazy weird stuff off the wedge for me (about 95 yard, 52* gap wedge RTX 3.0), ball flew high, drop and then a weird, severe right turn on ground to roll out about 10 yards. WTF. I thought it was the sprinkler head or something but it was not. This happened twice, and once I can chalk it up to a sprinkler (probably) but the second one had none nearby.



    Driving distance was the same as other balls, I didn't have any "wow" moments even when I thought I smashed it. Compared to the 18 CS, my miss off the driver was a little more right. I'll play another round with the 18 CSX but right now, I don't see any benefits of the 18CSX over my regular balls, XV and XT. So far, for me, XT > XV > 18 CSX for driver. 2c
    Callaway Epic GBB 9*, Fujikura Limited Edition 17/150 "Masters" ATMOS Tour Spec 6X, Grip Master "Masters" Kangaroo grip
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

    Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)


    Ball: Srixon XV
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Advanced Members Posts: 3,436
    We have a 4 dozen for the price of 3 dozen at our club, so I can get 4 dozen for an average price of $33/dozen. Seems like a pretty good deal and worth trying. I am going to get 2 dozen of each (regular and X) and see which I like better.
    Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei Pro Orange 60 stiff shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro White
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 degree with Diamana X Limited 70 stiff shaft
    P790 3-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Cobra F8 22 degree hybrid with Tensei Pro Blue 80 stiff shaft
    Titleist SM7 54 and 60 degree wedges
    Lajosi Damascus Steel mallet with copper insert
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,830 ✭✭
    Mob wrote:


    We have a 4 dozen for the price of 3 dozen at our club, so I can get 4 dozen for an average price of $33/dozen. Seems like a pretty good deal and worth trying. I am going to get 2 dozen of each (regular and X) and see which I like better.




    Those would be the older, '17 CS, and not the new ones, correct ?
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Advanced Members Posts: 3,436
    New ones
    Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei Pro Orange 60 stiff shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro White
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 degree with Diamana X Limited 70 stiff shaft
    P790 3-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Cobra F8 22 degree hybrid with Tensei Pro Blue 80 stiff shaft
    Titleist SM7 54 and 60 degree wedges
    Lajosi Damascus Steel mallet with copper insert
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Advanced Members Posts: 3,436
    nsxguy wrote:

    Mob wrote:


    We have a 4 dozen for the price of 3 dozen at our club, so I can get 4 dozen for an average price of $33/dozen. Seems like a pretty good deal and worth trying. I am going to get 2 dozen of each (regular and X) and see which I like better.




    Those would be the older, '17 CS, and not the new ones, correct ?




    2018
    Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei Pro Orange 60 stiff shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro White
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 degree with Diamana X Limited 70 stiff shaft
    P790 3-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Cobra F8 22 degree hybrid with Tensei Pro Blue 80 stiff shaft
    Titleist SM7 54 and 60 degree wedges
    Lajosi Damascus Steel mallet with copper insert
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,830 ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Mob wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    Mob wrote:


    We have a 4 dozen for the price of 3 dozen at our club, so I can get 4 dozen for an average price of $33/dozen. Seems like a pretty good deal and worth trying. I am going to get 2 dozen of each (regular and X) and see which I like better.




    Those would be the older, '17 CS, and not the new ones, correct ?




    2018




    Do you work there ?



    Any idea why they'd be selling the new ones 4 for 3 ?



    They're selling the OLD ones for roughly that.



    Haven't even seen the annual ProV1 promotion yet this year.
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Advanced Members Posts: 3,436
    nsxguy wrote:

    Mob wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    Mob wrote:


    We have a 4 dozen for the price of 3 dozen at our club, so I can get 4 dozen for an average price of $33/dozen. Seems like a pretty good deal and worth trying. I am going to get 2 dozen of each (regular and X) and see which I like better.




    Those would be the older, '17 CS, and not the new ones, correct ?








    2018




    Do you work there ?



    Any idea why they'd be selling the new ones 4 for 3 ?



    They're selling the OLD ones for roughly that.



    Haven't even seen the annual ProV1 promotion yet this year.




    Our club pro is a Callaway master staffer and they’ve extended this offer for the first time this year to their master staff for individuals and their clubs.
    Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei Pro Orange 60 stiff shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro White
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 degree with Diamana X Limited 70 stiff shaft
    P790 3-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Cobra F8 22 degree hybrid with Tensei Pro Blue 80 stiff shaft
    Titleist SM7 54 and 60 degree wedges
    Lajosi Damascus Steel mallet with copper insert
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Advanced Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭
    NEW CS Truvis is good
  • winnddyywinnddyy Advanced Members Posts: 126
    I was at the PGA Tour SS store yesterday after my round to have a Golf Ball fitting done. I spent about 1 hour hitting many balls of different brands. I am a 55 yr young, 8.4 handicapper with a slow/smooth swing. I had been playing ProV for years but switched to Tour Soft few weeks ago. I hit many balls with my gamers (driver, 8 iron and SW) and the top 3 overall ball results:



    Q Star Tour and Titleist ProV provided the same result (spin, overall distance). Titleist Tour Soft gave me about 5 yds more on the driver but a little less spin with the SW, as expected. Middle irons are the same for all three balls. I got about 2200-2600 for all three ball on the driver spin.



    I wanted to try the 2018 CS but since it was just released, it was not part of the PGA SS so called "Test-Ball Box". I went ahead and purchased a box of 2018 CS and used one as test ball. At this time, I was somewhat tired after playing 18 holes earlier and hitting balls for about an hours; but the result was astounding (compared to the Q Star, ProV and Tour Soft):

    Driver: gained 9 yds average, on overall carry and total distance with spin about 2200-2400 and 2MPH ball-speed increase.

    Iron: Average of 3 yds distance increase

    SW: similar spins to the other 3 balls above



    Cant wait to test it out on the course this Friday. Kudos to Mr. Ty at PGA Tour SS (in Plano, TX) for spending an hour patiently fitting me with the best ball.
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Advanced Members Posts: 1,167
    When it sounds too good to be true...
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Advanced Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭
    It's good. It's not like ground breaking absurdly amazing like the TP5 or Nike Platinum / Black Tours. it is good though. Better than previous model.
  • short gameshort game Advanced Members Posts: 292
    played a few holes with the new CS Truvis. Is it me or is this ball "not soft"? Doesn't feel like the old CS at all. Much firmer off of the club.



    i kind of liked the old feel better.
    Ping G 400 Max 10.5 Driver; Aldila Copper X-torsion 50R
    Ping G 400 5 wood and 7 wood
    Ping G 400 5 hybrid
    Ping i200 5 - UW
    Ping Glide 2.0 54 (bent to 55) and 60
    Betti BB 54 / Ping Tyne

    Titelst Pro V1
  • RedWolfWayRedWolfWay Members Posts: 44
    The Chrome Soft line is a super ball, and every bit as good as the Pro V1 line (longer too, IMO). Chrome Soft line is such a step up for Callaway from previous lines, IMO the Speed Regime line was so poor I was hesitant to even try the Chrome Soft ball this past year... but here we are.



    With the raving they had from the year before, they didn't need to raise prices on the '18 line, as I believe their following from the year before would have continued to ding Titleist and the other premium balls. Price hike will hurt for sure.



    Overall, still a great ball and happy they are back in the game in terms of balls. Titleist isn't the dominating force they once were with the CS rave.
    Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9° Oban Hashimoto 70X
    Callaway Rouge 15° HZRDUS Yellow 75X
    Titleist 915 18° Diamana D+ 80S
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW Project X 6.0
    Mizuno T7 Chrome 52/08, 58/08 Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 35"
    Titleist Pro V1
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Advanced Members Posts: 3,435 ✭✭
    My second round with the CSX was again, nothing spectacular with the ball. It confirmed what I thought from my 1st round, the CSX is soft but distance wise it was no better than my XV or XT balls. Based on my driving and the landing spots, I think both XV & XT balls are longer off the driver. Spin wise and softness, the CSX is king though. For me, this is not what I was after.



    Given the price point, I think I will pass on the CSX balls in favor of the other X balls in my bag.
    Callaway Epic GBB 9*, Fujikura Limited Edition 17/150 "Masters" ATMOS Tour Spec 6X, Grip Master "Masters" Kangaroo grip
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

    Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)


    Ball: Srixon XV
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • BottleCapBottleCap Advanced Members Posts: 1,201 ✭✭
    This is a nice ball, don't know if I like the Chrome Soft or the Titleist Tour Soft better. Both are excellent
    Taylormade M3 440 Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S
    Titleist 917F3 15 GD TourAD BB 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 3-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM6 54S and 60K
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • c50soonerc50sooner Members Posts: 49
    Chipped and putted with a sleeve of '18 CS and CSX today. Was not a fan of the CSX off the putter last year, so was anxious to compare these on the practice green. '18 CSX definitely feels better off the putter face than last year's model in my opinion. In fact it wasn't obvious to me which ball type I was putting today which says a lot for the X, whereas with the previous models the difference was obvious. Still prefer to putt the CS, but could play either. Chipping, both balls spun plenty to put brakes on, CS definitely noticeably softer feeling off the wedge. Anxious to see how they spin on full shots, which is the only reason I'm considering the X (want more spin).
    Callaway Epic SZ 10.5* - Aldila Rogue Max 65 S
    Callaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi S
    Callaway Apex 20, 23 Hybrid - Kuro Kage Black S
    Srixon Z355 4, 6-PW - NS Pro 950GH S
    Callaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300
    Odyssey White Hot RX Rossie
    TaylorMade TP5x
  • MorryMorry Advanced Members Posts: 812 ✭✭
    c50sooner wrote:


    Chipped and putted with a sleeve of '18 CS and CSX today. Was not a fan of the CSX off the putter last year, so was anxious to compare these on the practice green. '18 CSX definitely feels better off the putter face than last year's model in my opinion. In fact it wasn't obvious to me which ball type I was putting today which says a lot for the X, whereas with the previous models the difference was obvious. Still prefer to putt the CS, but could play either. Chipping, both balls spun plenty to put brakes on, CS definitely noticeably softer feeling off the wedge. Anxious to see how they spin on full shots, which is the only reason I'm considering the X (want more spin).


    interested in how you find the full shots
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 10.5 - EvenFlow Blue 6.0 / TPT 17 MKP[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Fusion 3W - Fuji Evo III S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon U65 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85 6.0[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade 790 4-P - Modus 105-S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX-4 50, 56, RTX-3 60 - Modus wedge 115,115,125[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey V-Line Fang O-Works[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway CS-X [/font]
  • addageaddage Advanced Members Posts: 206
    Played 3-4 rounds with the 2018 CSX. A very good ball, but nothing to me stood out over the regular Pro V1, which I’ve been playing since it was released last year. One big negative I noticed in my testing is the very poor durability. Significant cover damage after one well struck wedge shot. Lots of sand grains get stuck in the cover. CSX definitely is much less durable than the Pro V. Since there was no signifcant performance gain, I’m sticking with Pro V.
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,830 ✭✭
    addage wrote:


    Played 3-4 rounds with the 2018 CSX. A very good ball, but nothing to me stood out over the regular Pro V1, which I’ve been playing since it was released last year. One big negative I noticed in my testing is the very poor durability. Significant cover damage after one well struck wedge shot. Lots of sand grains get stuck in the cover. CSX definitely is much less durable than the Pro V. Since there was no signifcant performance gain, I’m sticking with Pro V.




    Haven't had a chance to try the '18 yet but the '17 (regular, not X) is extremely durable. How hard do you hit your wedge ? I haven't shredded, or caused any damage to the cover on a golf ball with a wedge since those 10(?) year old Callaway "Jaws"(?) wedges.



    Not only are the '17s very durable but I use the Yellow Truvis and when they get just a minor scuff on them, which with a white ball would cause it to go in the shag bag after the round, the Yellow Truvis doesn't hardly even show a scuff mark and IT goes right back into the ball pocket of my bag after the round. Get an easy 36 holes of of one before I retire it.



    When I played regular white balls, 1 round and done.



    Will be interested to try the new ones in a few weeks.
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • hurricanes7hurricanes7 Advanced Members Posts: 2,846
    erock9174 wrote:



    does graphene help that much? can i put some in my wifes coffee




    Post of the year thus far




    thanks man, u should try it. Has done wonders, every morning i wake up to breakfast in bed, then she insists I play golf every day and then rubs my aching back when i get home.
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]DRIVER- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
    3 WOOD- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
    HYBRID- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
    IRONS- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
    GAP- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
    SAND- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
    LOB- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
    PUTTER- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
    BALL- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font]
  • addageaddage Advanced Members Posts: 206
    nsxguy wrote:

    addage wrote:


    Played 3-4 rounds with the 2018 CSX. A very good ball, but nothing to me stood out over the regular Pro V1, which I’ve been playing since it was released last year. One big negative I noticed in my testing is the very poor durability. Significant cover damage after one well struck wedge shot. Lots of sand grains get stuck in the cover. CSX definitely is much less durable than the Pro V. Since there was no signifcant performance gain, I’m sticking with Pro V.




    Haven't had a chance to try the '18 yet but the '17 (regular, not X) is extremely durable. How hard do you hit your wedge ? I haven't shredded, or caused any damage to the cover on a golf ball with a wedge since those 10(?) year old Callaway "Jaws"(?) wedges.



    Not only are the '17s very durable but I use the Yellow Truvis and when they get just a minor scuff on them, which with a white ball would cause it to go in the shag bag after the round, the Yellow Truvis doesn't hardly even show a scuff mark and IT goes right back into the ball pocket of my bag after the round. Get an easy 36 holes of of one before I retire it.



    When I played regular white balls, 1 round and done.



    Will be interested to try the new ones in a few weeks.




    I tend to pinch my wedges pretty hard. I just got new MD4s, which might have something to do with it. But the 18 CSX also fails the bark and cart path tests compared to the Pro V1.
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,830 ✭✭
    addage wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    addage wrote:


    Played 3-4 rounds with the 2018 CSX. A very good ball, but nothing to me stood out over the regular Pro V1, which I’ve been playing since it was released last year. One big negative I noticed in my testing is the very poor durability. Significant cover damage after one well struck wedge shot. Lots of sand grains get stuck in the cover. CSX definitely is much less durable than the Pro V. Since there was no signifcant performance gain, I’m sticking with Pro V.




    Haven't had a chance to try the '18 yet but the '17 (regular, not X) is extremely durable. How hard do you hit your wedge ? I haven't shredded, or caused any damage to the cover on a golf ball with a wedge since those 10(?) year old Callaway "Jaws"(?) wedges.



    Not only are the '17s very durable but I use the Yellow Truvis and when they get just a minor scuff on them, which with a white ball would cause it to go in the shag bag after the round, the Yellow Truvis doesn't hardly even show a scuff mark and IT goes right back into the ball pocket of my bag after the round. Get an easy 36 holes of of one before I retire it.



    When I played regular white balls, 1 round and done.



    Will be interested to try the new ones in a few weeks.




    I tend to pinch my wedges pretty hard. I just got new MD4s, which might have something to do with it. But the 18 CSX also fails the bark and cart path tests compared to the Pro V1.




    The "bark test". image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />



    Funny you mention that - just today I hit a drive in the tree line and tried to punch a low 5 iron. Caught it very solidly and hit a tree smack in the middle and the ball ended up behind me. Checked it out after the hole and the wasn't a mark on it. ('17 CS). image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • MorryMorry Advanced Members Posts: 812 ✭✭
    Tested csX vs. my XV regular ball and the tp5



    off the tee, csx seemed as long as the xv and straighter with nice flight - tp5 seemed to drop out of sky and was shorter

    irons - csx and tp5 much better spin and feel than xv in my mind

    around and on green - csx better spin off wedge and feel off putter in between tp5 and xv - goldilocks in my mind



    really impressed with this 2018 csX

    Leaning towards replacing xv in my bag this year

    tp5 is out (didn't like the tp5x either - inconsistent flight and control for me)



    more testing, but it hits all the right notes for me so far
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 10.5 - EvenFlow Blue 6.0 / TPT 17 MKP[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Fusion 3W - Fuji Evo III S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon U65 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85 6.0[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade 790 4-P - Modus 105-S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX-4 50, 56, RTX-3 60 - Modus wedge 115,115,125[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey V-Line Fang O-Works[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway CS-X [/font]
  • LondonerLondoner Advanced Members Posts: 1,166
    edited March 2018
    Has anybody said what the Graphene is supposed to do? Hard to cost as its dependent on its state etc. But theres not going to be too much in each ball.
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee... Advanced Members Posts: 3,012 ✭✭
    Londoner wrote:


    Has anybody said what the Graphene is supposed to do? Hard to cost as its dependent on its state etc. But theres not going to be too much in each ball.




    Graphene is in the outer core layer which lightens it without it losing resiliency. That allows for a larger inner core with more mass closer to the center of the ball, which in theory leads to greater spin seperation from long clubs to short ones.



    That's my understanding of it, anyway. Think there are some videos on Callaway's web page that go into greater detail.
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • LondonerLondoner Advanced Members Posts: 1,166
    bcflyguy1 wrote:

    Londoner wrote:


    Has anybody said what the Graphene is supposed to do? Hard to cost as its dependent on its state etc. But theres not going to be too much in each ball.




    Graphene is in the outer core layer which lightens it without it losing resiliency. That allows for a larger inner core with more mass closer to the center of the ball, which in theory leads to greater spin seperation from long clubs to short ones.



    That's my understanding of it, anyway. Think there are some videos on Callaway's web page that go into greater detail.


    Thanks, i will have a look.
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • RonnieoRonnieo Advanced Members Posts: 86
    edited March 2018
    I was playing last years CS and liked the performance, haven't tried the new CS I am even more of a fan. It's comes of the driver great but I am happier with the feel around the greens. I would recommend giving it a try and if you are worried about the price Callaway are doing a 4 for 3 deal at the moment.
  • OldboyOldboy Advanced Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I've played the last two versions of this ball. ive put the 2018 chrome soft in play for a few rounds now .. its a nice ball but there was some mention in other posts of some cosmetic QC issues and i can confirm.. coating dimpling (which i could scratch off and would leave a small pinhole) and the text fading quickly .. which never happened with previous gen .. with the price increase its a bit annoying to think they would have these issues.. otherwise the ball seems to be a little more predictable and consistent tee to green and still decent around the greens and off the putter.. i agree with what some others have said that its not a game changer like the tp5 line has been for some.. i'll be moving on from this ball at this pricepoint.. i can pick up the tp5 or bridgestone tour line at this pricepoint .. just my .02
  • GSDriverGSDriver Advanced Members Posts: 551 ✭✭
    Ronnieo wrote:


    I was playing last years CS and liked the performance, haven't tried the new CS I am even more of a fan. It's comes of the driver great but I am happier with the feel around the greens. I would recommend giving it a try and if you are worried about the price Callaway are doing a 4 for 3 deal at the moment.




    I saw an ad for TP5 personalized 4 for 3, but even Google couldn't find new CS 4 for 3....where did you hear this?
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,830 ✭✭
    GSDriver wrote:

    Ronnieo wrote:


    I was playing last years CS and liked the performance, haven't tried the new CS I am even more of a fan. It's comes of the driver great but I am happier with the feel around the greens. I would recommend giving it a try and if you are worried about the price Callaway are doing a 4 for 3 deal at the moment.




    I saw an ad for TP5 personalized 4 for 3, but even Google couldn't find new CS 4 for 3....where did you hear this?




    Doesn't seem to be much but I did find this ======> https://www.indianpeaksgolf.com/shop-online/online-store/chrome-soft-b3g1f/callaway-chrome-soft-buy-3-get-1-free-detail
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX Charter Members, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,798 ClubWRX
    Oldboy wrote:


    I've played the last two versions of this ball. ive put the 2018 chrome soft in play for a few rounds now .. its a nice ball but there was some mention in other posts of some cosmetic QC issues and i can confirm.. coating dimpling (which i could scratch off and would leave a small pinhole) and the text fading quickly .. which never happened with previous gen .. with the price increase its a bit annoying to think they would have these issues.. otherwise the ball seems to be a little more predictable and consistent tee to green and still decent around the greens and off the putter.. i agree with what some others have said that its not a game changer like the tp5 line has been for some.. i'll be moving on from this ball at this pricepoint.. i can pick up the tp5 or bridgestone tour line at this pricepoint .. just my .02




    I've notices these issues as well. Its a great ball, but Callaway needs to get these things sorted out.
    Callaway Epic 9* - Diamana B+ 60X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 19* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway 13 X-Forged 4-PW - KBS $ Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Snell MTB Black
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,830 ✭✭
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

    Oldboy wrote:


    I've played the last two versions of this ball. ive put the 2018 chrome soft in play for a few rounds now .. its a nice ball but there was some mention in other posts of some cosmetic QC issues and i can confirm.. coating dimpling (which i could scratch off and would leave a small pinhole) and the text fading quickly .. which never happened with previous gen .. with the price increase its a bit annoying to think they would have these issues.. otherwise the ball seems to be a little more predictable and consistent tee to green and still decent around the greens and off the putter.. i agree with what some others have said that its not a game changer like the tp5 line has been for some.. i'll be moving on from this ball at this pricepoint.. i can pick up the tp5 or bridgestone tour line at this pricepoint .. just my .02




    I've notices these issues as well. Its a great ball, but Callaway needs to get these things sorted out.




    Must be the graphene in the cover,,,,,,,,,, image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • LeftofleftLeftofleft Members Posts: 26
    I honestly didn't think the graphene would be an improvement over 2017, but I really like the 2018 version better. The feel is awesome in a way that is tough to describe (almost like cracking an egg).
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Advanced Members Posts: 2,555 ✭✭
    Leftofleft wrote:


    I honestly didn't think the graphene would be an improvement over 2017, but I really like the 2018 version better. The feel is awesome in a way that is tough to describe (almost like cracking an egg).




    The good reviews have me wanting to grab a sleeve of the CS. If the CS is soft but has a crispness rather than a mushiness to it and performs as reviews claim this could surplant my current ball the TP5.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Pro V1
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee... Advanced Members Posts: 3,012 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:




    If the CS is soft but has a crispness rather than a mushiness to it




    That is exactly how I'd describe both the '18 CS versions, with the X being slightly firmer.
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • UnderParfectUnderParfect Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Looking for thoughts on a spring cold weather ball. When I played the hex chrome and hex chrome plus, the hex chrome was my cold weather ball because it was a soft 3 piece ball and then moved to the hex chrome plus when the weather got above 60. Since Callaway has moved both balls to a 4 piece ball for the past few years, is the regular chrome soft going to be soft enough to play in upper 40’s, low 50’s without really loosing distance? I have not had a chance to play either since the courses have not opened, but I do have a sleeve of the X and really like chipping and putting it but not sure it will handle the cooler temps well. May just try the Q Star Tour for my cold weather ball.
    Titleist 917D2 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 60S
    Titleist 917F2 16.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
    Titleist 915H 18 & 24 - Dia Blue 70S
    716 AP2 5-PW - Steelfiber i95 Stiff
    Vokey SM5 49, 54, 59 - Steelfiber i125 Stiff
    Scotty Cameron C&C M2
    Titleist AVX or Tour BXS
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX Charter Members, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,798 ClubWRX


    Looking for thoughts on a spring cold weather ball. When I played the hex chrome and hex chrome plus, the hex chrome was my cold weather ball because it was a soft 3 piece ball and then moved to the hex chrome plus when the weather got above 60. Since Callaway has moved both balls to a 4 piece ball for the past few years, is the regular chrome soft going to be soft enough to play in upper 40's, low 50's without really loosing distance? I have not had a chance to play either since the courses have not opened, but I do have a sleeve of the X and really like chipping and putting it but not sure it will handle the cooler temps well. May just try the Q Star Tour for my cold weather ball.




    I have not played the 2018 Chrome Soft yet (been playing the 2018 X version), but the previous version was excellent in colder temps. It was too soft for me in warmer temps but it was great in temps under 60*.
    Callaway Epic 9* - Diamana B+ 60X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 19* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway 13 X-Forged 4-PW - KBS $ Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Snell MTB Black
  • ATXHornATXHorn Advanced Members Posts: 623
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:



    Looking for thoughts on a spring cold weather ball. When I played the hex chrome and hex chrome plus, the hex chrome was my cold weather ball because it was a soft 3 piece ball and then moved to the hex chrome plus when the weather got above 60. Since Callaway has moved both balls to a 4 piece ball for the past few years, is the regular chrome soft going to be soft enough to play in upper 40's, low 50's without really loosing distance? I have not had a chance to play either since the courses have not opened, but I do have a sleeve of the X and really like chipping and putting it but not sure it will handle the cooler temps well. May just try the Q Star Tour for my cold weather ball.




    I have not played the 2018 Chrome Soft yet (been playing the 2018 X version), but the previous version was excellent in colder temps. It was too soft for me in warmer temps but it was great in temps under 60*.




    Agreed although I would say under 70*.
    Ping G400 Max w/HZDUS Yellow 7X
    Rogue FW w/HZDUS Yellow 8X
    3-5i Ping i500 w/steelfiber 110x
    6i-PW Ping iBlade w/steelfiber 110x
    50SS & 54SS Stealth Glide 2.0 - 60 Glide Forged w/Paderson Wedge Stiff
    Ping PLD3 w/counterbalanced PP60
    Titleist AVX or Chromesoft
  • ian-500ian-500 Advanced Members Posts: 603 ✭✭
    Anyone compare these to the Supersoft? Tried a Supersoft for the first time recently and thought it was very good, in feel as well as distance. Certainly as good as if not better than TM Lethal/TM Tour Preferred X/Srixon Soft Feel which I've been testing.........
    Cobra F9 9* + Tour AD IZ 7x.
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 Tour Issue + Tour AD IZ 7x.
    Callaway Rogue 19 Tour Issue + Tour AD IZ 8s.
    Adams Pro 23 Tour Issue + Tour AD UT95x
    Adams DHY Pro 27 + Irod 105x.
    Adams XTD Forged Tour Issue 6i - GW + Recoil Prototype 125F5.
    Adams XTD Forged SW/LW + KBS Hi-Rev x.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300, Garsen.
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX Charter Members, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,798 ClubWRX
    ian-500 wrote:


    Anyone compare these to the Supersoft? Tried a Supersoft for the first time recently and thought it was very good, in feel as well as distance. Certainly as good as if not better than TM Lethal/TM Tour Preferred X/Srixon Soft Feel which I've been testing.........




    Supersoft is not a urethane cover ball like the Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X.
    Callaway Epic 9* - Diamana B+ 60X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 19* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway 13 X-Forged 4-PW - KBS $ Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Snell MTB Black
  • phil75070phil75070 Advanced Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    I found last years CS was 1/2 club longer off the irons for me than the CSX and the CSX was lower launch making it the better ball into the wind and spun a little more off the irons. I am still trying to find how the 2018 versions compare to last year's in regard to these factors.
  • jkc-rvajkc-rva Blasian Members Posts: 1,047
    Last years Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X are 30/box at Golf Galaxy right now (flash sale until midnight). Is the 2017 Chrome Soft X good in the wind like the 2018 is supposedly? The TP5X seemed to live up to the hype about how well it plays in the wind, wondering if I can snag these 2017 CSXs and have them be a cheaper alternative.
    Callaway GBB Epic 9*
    Callaway GBB Epic 3W
    Adams MB2 3-PW
    Callaway MD3 Milled 52*, 56*
    Nike Engage Dual Sole 60*
    Odyssey White Ice #3

    Click me and buy my stuff: Miura Wedges, SM6 58* K Grind Wedge, Ping Vault Oslo Putter, Scotty Golo 5, cheap!
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Advanced Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭
    I love the new Chromesoft. Lots of bite. Solid, tough, strong cover (no defects noted out of the ordinary that you can find on any ball). Feels great in every scenario.



    I only managed to scuff a CS up real good with a basically new PM Grind 60* that I chopped at the ball and I wouldn't say it was even that bad of a scuff. Kept playing the ball for the rest of the day with no issues. Felt great off my Odyssey #9 w/ hinge face too. Nothing but good things about this ball. Just wish that price didn't creep up ever so slightly.
  • kharveykharvey Members Posts: 8
    I just tested the 2018 Chromesoft X vs Pro V1X on Trackman with my driver. The Chromesoft spun 500rpm less (which is good news!) at about 2200 rpm. The only issue is that it also spun less with irons. Is it a problem if your 7i only spins 6000 rpm?
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee... Advanced Members Posts: 3,012 ✭✭
    kharvey wrote:


    I just tested the 2018 Chromesoft X vs Pro V1X on Trackman with my driver. The Chromesoft spun 500rpm less (which is good news!) at about 2200 rpm. The only issue is that it also spun less with irons. Is it a problem if your 7i only spins 6000 rpm?


    not unless the landing angle was too shallow, no
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • MorryMorry Advanced Members Posts: 812 ✭✭
    bcflyguy1 wrote:

    kharvey wrote:


    I just tested the 2018 Chromesoft X vs Pro V1X on Trackman with my driver. The Chromesoft spun 500rpm less (which is good news!) at about 2200 rpm. The only issue is that it also spun less with irons. Is it a problem if your 7i only spins 6000 rpm?


    not unless the landing angle was too shallow, no
    What landing angle should that be at then?

    i have similar spin on 7 iron as well....appreciated
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 10.5 - EvenFlow Blue 6.0 / TPT 17 MKP[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Fusion 3W - Fuji Evo III S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon U65 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85 6.0[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade 790 4-P - Modus 105-S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX-4 50, 56, RTX-3 60 - Modus wedge 115,115,125[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey V-Line Fang O-Works[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway CS-X [/font]
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee... Advanced Members Posts: 3,012 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    That will depend on some other variables, but you should see plenty of stopping control unless you're playing in extremely baked out conditions (and if you are, playing a higher spinning ball isn't going to prevent you from having to adjust how you play shots). If the 7i was spinning at 6000 when struck well, I'd be shocked if the balls landing angle would be uncontrollably shallow. As long as spin rates and landing angles are reasonably consistent on well struck shots, you shouldn't have any trouble producing predictable results with a given ball.





    Another thing to remember about the axiom that goes "ideal spin rate for irons is the number on the sole X 1000" is for PGA players who:



    1. Generate a lot of spin due to their speed and quality/consistency of their ball striking

    2. With rare exceptions, don't play irons with the "juiced" lofts that most recreational players do

    3. Play on conditions much firmer and faster than most recreational players will ever see on a regular basis



    All that to say that striving for "iron number X 1000" spin rates is probably not necessary and could actually be detrimental.
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
Sign In or Register to comment.