ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

1234568»

Comments

• theboypinoytheboypinoy Advanced Members Posts: 1,966
    Really like the 2018 version of this ball. If they were available at a lower price point, I would love them even more.

They're just as good as the XV for me image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • ian-500ian-500 Advanced Members Posts: 603 ✭✭
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

ian-500 wrote:

Anyone compare these to the Supersoft? Tried a Supersoft for the first time recently and thought it was very good, in feel as well as distance. Certainly as good as if not better than TM Lethal/TM Tour Preferred X/Srixon Soft Feel which I've been testing.........

Supersoft is not a urethane cover ball like the Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X.

I now have a sleeve of the 18' Chrome Soft to compare to the Supersoft. From what I've seen on youtube, the Supersoft is the lower spinning of the two. Bring on the test.....
    Cobra F9 9* + Tour AD IZ 7x.
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 Tour Issue + Tour AD IZ 7x.
    Callaway Rogue 19 Tour Issue + Tour AD IZ 8s.
    Adams Pro 23 Tour Issue + Tour AD UT95x
    Adams DHY Pro 27 + Irod 105x.
    Adams XTD Forged Tour Issue 6i - GW + Recoil Prototype 125F5.
    Adams XTD Forged SW/LW + KBS Hi-Rev x.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300, Garsen.
  • MorryMorry Advanced Members Posts: 812 ✭✭

Really like the 2018 version of this ball. If they were available at a lower price point, I would love them even more.

They're just as good as the XV for me image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    which one?

i have gone xv to the csx myself
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 10.5 - EvenFlow Blue 6.0 / TPT 17 MKP[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Fusion 3W - Fuji Evo III S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon U65 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85 6.0[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade 790 4-P - Modus 105-S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX-4 50, 56, RTX-3 60 - Modus wedge 115,115,125[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey V-Line Fang O-Works[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway CS-X [/font]
  • zzilbzzilb Advanced Members Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Huge fan of the chrome soft! I was given 100 prov1's and used those for a while and they were good, but never made me love them enough to justify buying them at their premium price. So when it came time to buy a ball, I looked for better value like the Q Star Tour and they were fine. Found a CS in the woods and played it for 45 holes and could not believe how much I loved it. First time I have ever loved a ball enough to be willing to pay a premium for it.

Felt noticeably longer off the tee, and I loved the control around the green. Felt perfectly soft and I could stop the ball on a dime. Dicks had a good sale on the previous gen for $30/dz (which can also be found on ebay) so I stocked up. At $30/dz this ball cannot be beat.

Also surprised how much I loved the Truvis! Originally thought it was ugly but for some reason I love it now.
  • PureSlicePureSlice Advanced Members Posts: 91 ✭✭
    zzilb wrote:

Found a CS in the woods and played it for 45 holes and could not believe how much I loved it. First time I have ever loved a ball enough to be willing to pay a premium for it.

This is what happened to me and the Bridgestone Tour B330 RXs

I have not tried the new CS but the 2017 and I didn't get along great and I don't know why. I thought I would love the ball but just didn't. Will try the 2018
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Advanced Members Posts: 1,495 ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Really? I haven't tried these balls yet, (season just started) but how are these any different then say an XV? And what's with the low spin numbers? This is the complete opposite of what I expected to see. Never heard Rick compare the feel of a premium ball to a Top Flite before. Am I missing something?

[media=]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]718 MB 5-PW
    RTX 4 52 | 56 | 60 | 64
    [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TR 1966 Anser 2[/font]
  • craz-ecraz-e Advanced Members Posts: 3,983 ✭✭
    Recently picked up a box of the 2018 chromesoft after playing them for the last couple of years.

Had a quick chip and putt with them and really didn’t enjoy the new click to them.

They haven’t made it to my gamer ball as the taylormade project (a) has replaced the chromesoft
    Driver = Titleist TS3, Even Flow White 6.0 (44.5")
    5 Wood = Taylormade Burner

Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

= Taylormade 64* Hi-Toe
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Advanced Members Posts: 7,020 ✭✭

Really? I haven't tried these balls yet, (season just started) but how are these any different then say an XV? And what's with the low spin numbers? This is the complete opposite of what I expected to see. Never heard Rick compare the feel of a premium ball to a Top Flite before. Am I missing something?

[media=]

Probably not. It's .4% graphene... how is that going to change much? I'd be curious if all the tour guys are playing this exact version or if they play the old model or special balls like when it was rumored Phil got a modified Chrome Soft.
    WITB
    LTD Pro Kiyoshi White 65X
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Apex Pro Smoke incoming!!
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Advanced Members Posts: 5,076 ✭✭
    I was a CS fan for quite a while but the Snell Red is just too good and $10/dz. cheaper.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrid
    Ping Iblade 6-PW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Piper Redwood
    Ping DLX Bag
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Advanced Members Posts: 1,495 ✭✭
    lawsonman wrote:

I was a CS fan for quite a while but the Snell Red is just too good and $10/dz. cheaper.

I keep hearing good things about this ball. Think I'm going to have pick up a dozen.
    RTX 4 52 | 56 | 60 | 64
    [/font]

• UhitUhit Advanced Members Posts: 861

[media=]

Not only this, but if you compare the numbers of the 2018 CS(X) to his ChromeSoft test from last year:

[media=]

...you will find, that last years models had a better feel and more spin than the of 2018...

...beside the lower price point.
    Uhit wrote:

[media=]

Not only this, but if you compare the numbers of the 2018 CS(X) to his ChromeSoft test from last year:

[media=]

...you will find, that last years models had a better feel and more spin than the of 2018...

Exactly. I think that's why I was left very confused by that review.
    RTX 4 52 | 56 | 60 | 64
    [/font]

• lawsonmanlawsonman Advanced Members Posts: 5,076 ✭✭
    edited April 2018

lawsonman wrote:

I keep hearing good things about this ball. Think I'm going to have pick up a dozen.

I get no kickbacks from Dean but the new Snell Red and Black are as good as any ball on the market. And that includes ProV1's and X's. They are tough as ****. The Red I've been playing has hit so many trees it's crazy and it still looks and plays great! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrid
    Ping Iblade 6-PW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Piper Redwood
    Ping DLX Bag
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,830 ✭✭
    I've been playing the prior version of the CS for about 18 months now. Loved it; but it's gone now.

After returning from SE Asia about 3 weeks ago I bought a sleeve of each of the new CS and the CSX. I've been chipping and putting with both of them for a while now but have only recently played a few rounds with the "X".

For C&P there's not much to choose from other than the feel. As previously reported the X feels a bit firmer and is a bit "clickier". Performance-wise though, chipping and putting, there's very little to differentiate them; certainly not to choose one over the other IMO. The "X" spins a bit more and bites a bit more but nothing much to make a difference in ball choice.

As for the couple of rounds I've played with the X. Again, not much to differentiate it from the prior version non-X CS; at least nothing really noticeable.

Today however I played my first round with the non-X. On the whole I had a very good ball striking day. Off the driver the ball felt the same as the prior version but when I got out there I found most of my drives a bit further out than I would have expected - maybe 10-15 yards in most cases.

Off the irons, a similar distance gain, from 1/2 to possibly 1 club further. Green holding about the same as the prior version. Very good into the wind; absolutely no signs of ballooning.

I figure, given how a round of golf is different from one day to the next, as well as the course playing differently, given wind direction, etc., it takes a minimum of 3-4 rounds to fully evaluate the distance difference in 2 balls. "Feel", spin around the greens, etc. not nearly so long but distance, definitely.

I'll be playing it for the next few rounds and will come back and report further.
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee... Advanced Members Posts: 3,012 ✭✭
    Shiels' comment about the new CSX feeling like a Top Rock is absolutely daft. Have absolutely no idea what he's on about with that.

The new balls weren't firmed up because people thought the old ball was too soft. They were firmed up because previous generations of the ball would produce inconsistent spin because the cores were so soft. The only way to get more consistent spin performance out of the balls was to firm them up a bit.
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • UhitUhit Advanced Members Posts: 861

Uhit wrote:

[media=]

[media=]

Exactly. I think that's why I was left very confused by that review.

To me it seems (especially if you look at the CS 2018, after it was cut in halves) that the 2018 is simply a more expensive, hard boiled, egg in comparison to previous generation CS... image/read.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':read:' />
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Advanced Members Posts: 4,797
    Which model has a higher ball flight? More specifically with the irons.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • BiggErnBiggErn Advanced Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭
    The X hits the ball about 150 yards higher. Great for tucked pins.
  • dgp17dgp17 Advanced Members Posts: 80
    I'm a Taylormade TP5x fan but I came across a sleeve of Chrome Soft Xs the other day and I'm assuming they were Tour Issue because they were in a plain white sleeve. The markings on the ball appear to be different, too--it has "++" in the Chrome Soft writing. Does anyone know how this ball plays compared to the regular Chrome Soft X?

[font=georgia,serif]Taylormade M3 460 10.5* - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Titleist 917F2 15* - Graphite Design Tour AD MT 8s[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Mizuno CLK Hybrid 19* - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95 S+[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Mizuno MP-18, 8-PW, MP-18 SC 4-7 - KBS Tour 130X ss[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Titleist Vokey SM7 58*, SM5 54*, 50* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Kingston KP1 GSS[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Tayloramde TP5x[/font]
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee... Advanced Members Posts: 3,012 ✭✭
    dgp17 wrote:

I'm a Taylormade TP5x fan but I came across a sleeve of Chrome Soft Xs the other day and I'm assuming they were Tour Issue because they were in a plain white sleeve. The markings on the ball appear to be different, too--it has "++" in the Chrome Soft writing. Does anyone know how this ball plays compared to the regular Chrome Soft X?

That's definitely a tour-only proto version of the X. I played a couple sleeves of the Chroms Soft ++ from last year and I was told that ++ ball was the version they produced for Tom Watson, but not sure what was different about it.
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • TnJohnTnJohn Advanced Members Posts: 81
    New American flag truvis balls coming out soon.
    Ping G400 Max
    Callaway Rogue 4 Wood

Callaway XR 5 Wood
    Titleist 816H1 21*
    Titleist 816H1 25*
    Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged 6-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50* and 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 58*

Callaway PM Grind 64*
    Bettinardi BB1
    Kirkland Signature 3 Piece
  • lil'mikelil'mike Advanced Members Posts: 1,259
    TnJohn wrote:

I need to find me a sleeve of those!
    lil wrote:

TnJohn wrote:

Nah.

I've been playing the yellow truvis in your avatar for about 18 months now.

I've tried some of the white balls with colored panels but can't track it in the air as easily - and it doesn't show in the rough as easily either.
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Advanced Members Posts: 3,435 ✭✭
    nsx, is the yellow/black turvis as easy to track in the air as a regular yellow ball? I tried the white/red 2018 x turvis and it sucks for flight trackability, no better than a regular all white. I was hoping the red would help but it doesn't.
    Callaway Epic GBB 9*, Fujikura Limited Edition 17/150 "Masters" ATMOS Tour Spec 6X, Grip Master "Masters" Kangaroo grip
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)

Ball: Srixon XV
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • elwhippyelwhippy Advanced Members Posts: 3,048
    Five rounds with a 2018 X. Great in the wind. Cover durable except when hitting a sandstone bridge (cough, splutter). Runs out a bit more on chips and pitches. Clicky off the putter and comes off the face faster than some other ammo (Z-star, Snell MTBs, TP5). Selling well. Both our Pro and off course shop are shifting a lot more of these than V1s or Srixon.
    SwingBlues wrote:

nsx, is the yellow/black turvis as easy to track in the air as a regular yellow ball? I tried the white/red 2018 x turvis and it sucks for flight trackability, no better than a regular all white. I was hoping the red would help but it doesn't.

You know, I can't remember playing an all yellow ball and the guys in my "club" who do don't hit it very far so it's impossible to tell.

I have been playing a few all white balls a bit lately since I'm experimenting and I don't see the all white one as well as the yellow/black Truvis either.

I think it's something to do with the black mixed in with the bright yellow that somehow offers a bit of contrast for a spinning ball,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if that makes any sense,,,,,,,,,,,, image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
    nsxguy wrote:

lil wrote:

TnJohn wrote:

Nah.

I've been playing the yellow truvis in your avatar for about 18 months now.

I've tried some of the white balls with colored panels but can't track it in the air as easily - and it doesn't show in the rough as easily either.

Yeah I just want a sleeve to have! I have tried the white/red Truvis and to me they are just as hard to follow as plain white balls. They yellow/black ones are my favorite ball. If I am not playing them which is rare, then I will play a solid yellow CS which I like too but still prefer the Truvis ones! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • GSDriverGSDriver Advanced Members Posts: 551 ✭✭
    The yellow and black are much easier to follow than say the red/white Truvis. The R/W seemed to kind of turn gray in flight. The Y/B Truvis are easier to follow but have to admit not as easy as pure yellow. I also agree, the Truvis can be a little harder to find in the rough, so I try to not it in there too often.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
    edited May 2018
    SwingBlues wrote:

I used to play the yellow Chrome Soft all the time and now I play the yellow/black truvis. I have no issues tracking either, very similar and no problem with either one! Hope that helps!
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Advanced Members Posts: 6,800
    Played the new Truvis for a full 18 holes on Sunday - great feeling ball, received longer than average distance off all clubs, spun well and predictably on the greens, and had the right sound/feel off a stainless steel putter. It showed energy. May be ball of choice in those terms. Easy to track.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • phil75070phil75070 Advanced Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    Been alternating between the CS and CS-X and much prefer the CS. The CS feels definitely softer and seems to give me added distance compared to the "X". I am not sure the 2018 CS is giving me as much spin as last year's but I can compensate for that.
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Advanced Members Posts: 3,435 ✭✭
    phil75070 wrote:

Been alternating between the CS and CS-X and much prefer the CS. The CS feels definitely softer and seems to give me added distance compared to the "X". I am not sure the 2018 CS is giving me as much spin as last year's but I can compensate for that.

Whats your driver SS? I presume your extra distance is from the driver or irons/driver? do clarify...

I tried the 18 CS and found it to be a tad soft off the driver. The 18 CSX was better feel off the driver but really, there is nothing significant in the distance except I thought the CS flew higher off the driver than I like to see. Both are awesome off the putter and chip/pitch well...but the pricing is really not good compared to my gamer ball.
    Callaway Epic GBB 9*, Fujikura Limited Edition 17/150 "Masters" ATMOS Tour Spec 6X, Grip Master "Masters" Kangaroo grip
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)

Ball: Srixon XV
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • phil75070phil75070 Advanced Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    SwingBlues wrote:

phil75070 wrote:

Whats your driver SS? I presume your extra distance is from the driver or irons/driver? do clarify...

I tried the 18 CS and found it to be a tad soft off the driver. The 18 CSX was better feel off the driver but really, there is nothing significant in the distance except I thought the CS flew higher off the driver than I like to see. Both are awesome off the putter and chip/pitch well...but the pricing is really not good compared to my gamer ball.

My driver swing speed is somewhere between 90 and 95. That "extra" distance with the CS vs CS-X is primarily off the irons.There is not a lot of difference off the driver. I am seeing performance comparable to what I saw with last year's version in that the CS is higher launch than the X, at least for me.
  • hurricanes7hurricanes7 Advanced Members Posts: 2,846
    Maybe they add some graphene in the new driver for next year
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]DRIVER- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
    3 WOOD- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
    HYBRID- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
    IRONS- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
    GAP- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
    SAND- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
    LOB- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
    PUTTER- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
    BALL- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font]
  • n_ronesn_rones Advanced Members Posts: 444 ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Played the Patriotic Truvis this weekend. First time playing the new version of the chrome soft. I found them to act the same for me as last years model I'm 5-10 yards shorter off the tee with the driver i don't know fur sure why but that's the case. That being said i played my best round of the year with them shot 75 and was 8-9 greens in reg on the front nine. I really love the feel of these balls but don't know if i would be as confident playing them on a longer course my home track is real short so the loss of distance isn't a big issue.
    Srixon Z785 9.5° HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76
    Srixon F85 15° GD Tour AD DI-6s
    Srixon Z H85 19° Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 85
    Srixon Z565 4 KBS Tour FLT S
    Srixon Z745 5-PW KBS Tour S
    Titleist Vokey SM4 50°
    Titleist Vokey SM4 54°
    Titleist Vokey SM4 58°
    Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5 Stability Shaft
    n_rones wrote:

Played the Patriotic Truvis this weekend. First time playing the new version of the chrome soft. I found them to act the same for me as last years model I'm 5-10 yards shorter off the tee with the driver i don't know fur sure why but that's the case. That being said i played my best round of the year with them shot 75 and was 8-9 greens in reg on the front nine. I really love the feel of these balls but don't know if i would be as confident playing them on a longer course my home track is real short so the loss of distance isn't a big issue.

Douglaston ? LOL

But 5-10 shorter with the driver than with last year's CS ???

I've been playing the new one a bit recently but if anything, as reported earlier, I find them a bit longer.

Not the distance gains some are claiming and not a whole lot longer but certainly not shorter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I've been (and still am) testing some other balls but I'll probably stay with the CS (Truvis) as my gamer this year.
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • MrJonesMrJones Waiting for the weekend... Advanced Members Posts: 2,724
    I played a round with the CS-X and didn't care for it. To me the appeal of the CS was the feel while still having plenty of short game spin. The X (at least the new one) played fine from tee to green, nothing really special about it.

Around the greens though, it felt hard and almost dead. I didn't like it at all on short wedge shots and chips. I also wasn't a fan of it off the putter. Overall it just really didn't stand out anywhere and had none of the qualities I love about the Chrome Soft. One of my buddies, who is a better golfer than I, had the same experience. We both gave our sample pack balls away after the round.
    Cobra Bio Cell Pro
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
    TM RAC MB 3-PW
    Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
    Odyssey White Ice 1
  • KmacKmac Advanced Members Posts: 658
    I played the 'Merica Truvis over the weekend and loved it. I thought they felt great, distance was there as was the great CS feel. First time trying the new version and since I had a GG $10 rewards I bought another box of the limiteds. The swing was pretty bad so after losing #3 I decided to start grabbing old balls to stop the bleeding. Came away pretty impressed but I will play them again this weekend and hopefully hit the ball a bit better.
  • baudibaudi Advanced Members Posts: 634 ✭✭
    For putting, in my experience the 2018 version comes better of the face than the 2017 version. Not much

Also measured the compression rates. The 2018 model is 70 vs the 2017 model is 87.
  • Ogden51Ogden51 Advanced Members Posts: 184
    Have been loving the new ball, but this happened last week. Unsure how I feel about it now. This was after 14 holes, brand new out of the sleeve and no reason for it to happen (tree, cart path etc)
    ^^
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Advanced Members Posts: 3,467
    I played both this weekend and do not like either one. Too spinny.
    Cobra F8+ 11*, Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 39 R

Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 S

Ping G400 hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta 70 R

Callaway Rogue Pro 5-pw, Recoil F3

Miura "Mind The Gap" 51*, Recoil F3

Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

Ping Sigma 2 ZB 2, 35", 2* loft, OTW

Super Stroke Oversize grips
    Ogden51 wrote:

^^

Dang, you should send that pic to Callaway and see what they say!
  • playaplaya Advanced Members Posts: 8,689 ✭✭
    MrJones wrote:

I played a round with the CS-X and didn't care for it. To me the appeal of the CS was the feel while still having plenty of short game spin. The X (at least the new one) played fine from tee to green, nothing really special about it.

Around the greens though, it felt hard and almost dead. I didn't like it at all on short wedge shots and chips. I also wasn't a fan of it off the putter. Overall it just really didn't stand out anywhere and had none of the qualities I love about the Chrome Soft. One of my buddies, who is a better golfer than I, had the same experience. We both gave our sample pack balls away after the round.

Really disappointed to hear this. The 17 CSX was just about the perfect ball for my game. As long as any tour ball, good solid but not harsh feel, lots of grip on approaches and around the greens, durable, and nice solid feel off the putter. Sounds like the 18 is not an improvement. Looks like I will be stocking up on 17 CSX while they're still out there.
    lil wrote:

Ogden51 wrote:

^^

Dang, you should send that pic to Callaway and see what they say!

Yeah mate I did, not much was said though. Got a replacement sleeve
    That ball looked like it got ran over
    BiggErn wrote:

Can promise you it didn't mate. Have a feeling it had internally cracked before the cover. Hit a drive that had a funky flight to then hit a full wedge that came up 30yards short and saw the split. You can see the discolouration beside the split and it had that line in it for a hole or 2 before.
    Ogden51 wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

Can promise you it didn't mate. Have a feeling it had internally cracked before the cover. Hit a drive that had a funky flight to then hit a full wedge that came up 30yards short and saw the split. You can see the discolouration beside the split and it had that line in it for a hole or 2 before.

Not doubting you just saying it looks like it was crushed or like one of the cheap range balls that get hit with the mower blade. I guess a bad apple gets through on occasion.
  • mct100mssmct100mss Members Posts: 40
    I just got a bunch of the CS 2018 balls as a gift. Are they any good for a better player?

May just move them along as I don’t like looking at the dimple pattern.
  • spartY84spartY84 Advanced Members Posts: 89 ✭✭
    mct100mss wrote:

I just got a bunch of the CS 2018 balls as a gift. Are they any good for a better player?

May just move them along as I don’t like looking at the dimple pattern.

They’re on par with other tour balls, yes.
1234568»