New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

Comments

• MorryMorry Members Posts: 822 ✭✭
    Stumpnav wrote:

I've had a chance to test the CSX18 for about a month. It spins less off the driver and I have been getting about 10 yds more with it than the CS17. The shorter the club, the more spin it seems to have. Stops better on pitches and chips than the CS17 or CSX17.

Excellent feedback

Thank You

Ping G400 10.5 - EvenFlow Blue 6.0 / TPT 17 MKP
    Callaway Fusion 3W - Fuji Evo III S
    Srixon U65 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85 6.0
    Taylormade 790 4-P - Modus 105-S
    Cleveland RTX-4 50, 56, 60 - Modus wedge 115,115,125
    Odyssey V-Line Fang O-Works - Stability Shaft 
    Callaway CS-X 
  • bazinkybazinky Members Posts: 1,649 ✭✭
    How does the new CSX18 compare to the CSX17 in terms of feel? I much preferred the feel of the CS17 over the CSX17. I'll probably go with the CSX18 if it's a bit softer in this iteration, or the regular CS18 if it's not.
    Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭
    edited Jan 30, 2018 #214
    I wanna get my hands on these.

2uLjGtf.jpg
  • ctay61983ctay61983 Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    jacobEDGE wrote:

2uLjGtf.jpg

Taco Bell?
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee... Members Posts: 3,012 ✭✭
    ctay61983 wrote:

jacobEDGE wrote:

2uLjGtf.jpg

Taco Bell?

Wesley Bryan is an ambassador for Taco Bell, and he'll be using these on the 16th at the WM this week.
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • TnJohnTnJohn East TNMembers Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited Jan 30, 2018 #217
    New truvis colors.

https://i.imgur.com/ykUYyHM.jpg

I wonder if it will be blk/white?
    Ping G400 Max
    Taylormade SLDR 3HL Wood

Callaway XR 5 Wood
    Titleist 816H1 21*
    Titleist 816H1 25*
    Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged 6-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50* and 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 58*

Callaway PM Grind 64*
    Bettinardi BB1
    Kirkland Signature 3 Piece
  • HISPLHISPL Members Posts: 3,068
    Stumpnav wrote:

I've had a chance to test the CSX18 for about a month. It spins less off the driver and I have been getting about 10 yds more with it than the CS17. The shorter the club, the more spin it seems to have. Stops better on pitches and chips than the CS17 or CSX17.

I’d say that pretty much lined up with what I have found image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • HISPLHISPL Members Posts: 3,068
    bazinky wrote:

How does the new CSX18 compare to the CSX17 in terms of feel? I much preferred the feel of the CS17 over the CSX17. I'll probably go with the CSX18 if it's a bit softer in this iteration, or the regular CS18 if it's not.

I feel the CSX 18 is slightly softer or “less clicky” than the previous model.

It isn’t anywhere near as soft as the “normal” CS 18 model in terms of feel though.

I think if you fell in love with the CS for the feel then it is likely you will stick with the CS 18, if you liked the firmer CSX feel and added spin on shorter wedge shots then go with the CSX18
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,328 ✭✭
    TnJohn wrote:

New truvis colors.

https://i.imgur.com/ykUYyHM.jpg

I wonder if it will be blk/white?

Don't quite understand the list. Are those NEW colors or ALL the colors.

I assume "Truvis red" means a white ball with red panels.

I don't see the current Truvis yellow with black.

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • Fairways_and_GreensFairways_and_Greens Members Posts: 758 ✭✭
    wldchld22 wrote:

HISPL wrote:

tbomb wrote:

Graphene. That's why the ball is so much better. Someone else already said, a sheet of the stuff would cover a football field and weigh as much as a dime.

They have mixed this super strong material into the cover of the ball, and made it urethane. Why is that so great? Because the cover of the ball is the thinnest possible. Why does that matter? Because the thinner cover creates that 2-3 MPH of ball speed everyone is talking about.

the new 18 ball will be long and soft and worth every penny.

IMO Callaway should have dropped the Chrome soft name with this ball because it's so much better it can't even be compared to the 17 ball. Rock is brilliant and Callaway does not want to be #2 in anything...

This is pretty much it, I was under the impression that the graphene was in the core not the cover but otherwise I agree with everything else.

I heard graphene was the secret sauce; but nobody was telling me where it was.

Graphene is very light; but very stiff. It's been used in the tennis industry for years so I'm really familiar with it.

If Ishi had input I would imagine he is going after what they did with the RZN material where they moved the MOI towards the outside of the ball. Using Graphene near the core because of the lightweight properties makes sense there.

I hope it's not in the cover. Despite being light and stiff; that might make for a clicky and harsh cover; but it might also make it more resilient.

Ball speed has been maxed for years without graphene. All the balls are at ball speed limits. Differences in distance come down to LA, spin, and drag.
    Rogue Sub Zero 9° Kuro Kage Dual Core tx
    917 F2 15° Diamana S+ 80x
    917 F2 18° ATX Blue 85x
    915H.d 20.5° Modus3 105x
    Z765 Modus3 125x
    Z765 51° Modus3 125x
    Mack Daddy Forged 58° Super Peening Blue
    EvnRoll 8
    Z Star XV
  • RobYakesRobYakes "You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen" Washington, D.C.Members Posts: 318 ✭✭
    Bummed to hear the CSX18 is a little softer than the CSX17. Played a dozen of the CSX17s and still felt too soft for my liking. Was hoping they'd at least get close to the hard feeling of TP5x/Pro V1x (I'm a fan of a hard/clicky ball) but to no avail. Wonder if Callaway will every roll out a "XX" ball.
    M4 9.5* Speeder Evo II 661X // M4 15* HZRDUS Black 6.5 // M4 18* HZRDUS Red 6.5 // P790 Modus 120S //
    MILLED GRIND 50* & 54* Modus 115W // HI-TOE 60* Modus 115W // SPIDER TOUR RED 34"
  • LondonerLondoner Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭

wldchld22 wrote:

HISPL wrote:

tbomb wrote:

Graphene. That's why the ball is so much better. Someone else already said, a sheet of the stuff would cover a football field and weigh as much as a dime.

They have mixed this super strong material into the cover of the ball, and made it urethane. Why is that so great? Because the cover of the ball is the thinnest possible. Why does that matter? Because the thinner cover creates that 2-3 MPH of ball speed everyone is talking about.

the new 18 ball will be long and soft and worth every penny.

IMO Callaway should have dropped the Chrome soft name with this ball because it's so much better it can't even be compared to the 17 ball. Rock is brilliant and Callaway does not want to be #2 in anything...

This is pretty much it, I was under the impression that the graphene was in the core not the cover but otherwise I agree with everything else.

I heard graphene was the secret sauce; but nobody was telling me where it was.

Graphene is very light; but very stiff. It's been used in the tennis industry for years so I'm really familiar with it.

If Ishi had input I would imagine he is going after what they did with the RZN material where they moved the MOI towards the outside of the ball. Using Graphene near the core because of the lightweight properties makes sense there.

I hope it's not in the cover. Despite being light and stiff; that might make for a clicky and harsh cover; but it might also make it more resilient.

Ball speed has been maxed for years without graphene. All the balls are at ball speed limits. Differences in distance come down to LA, spin, and drag.

And Graphene is $100 per gramme. So not very much in a ball. 10 yds more? Dreàm on.
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • bigbutchbigbutch Members Posts: 207 ✭✭

I've been told by a local golf tech that these new Chrome Soft and CSX are going to be closer to ProV1 prices. Seems like this would cost them a significant portion of their appeal, but definitely would be unfortunate to CS lovers.
    They will retail for $44.99. That was on Callaways web site.
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,437 ✭✭
    I ordered the 18 CS tonight. I considered the CSX but in the end, I think I don't need the extra spin from the X. Be interesting to see if the balls live up to the reviews here image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)

Ball: Srixon XV
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • mxkemmxkem Members Posts: 38 ✭✭
    My club had a poster offering 4doz for the price of 3doz. The pro was 99.9% certain the offer was the new CS18s.
  • sirparalotsirparalot Members Posts: 707 ✭✭
    I finally got out to play the new ball. I like it and its a good replacement from the CS17. I did not find an extra 10 yards in my irons or really any significant improvement in distance as the R&D guy at Callaway mentioned was the goal. I had an ok ball striking day and the ball managed to find the green 2/3rds of the time (there was no helping my driver hook however) and went as far as I was expecting even with some shaky ball striking so I will say its forgiving (maybe the the extra yards are there when I strike it better). I had several toe strikes that still made the green. It was a bit breezy and the ball handled the wind decently even with my poorer strikes. The feel is closer to the CS16 ball (which I preferred over the 17). I scored well that day making 13 pars and 1 birdie with my only hiccups coming on holes where I had big driver issues(had 1 lost ball, 2 punch outs from trouble and a couple of low left shorties that while they stayed in didn't go very far and had me hitting much longer approaches). I played 2 strokes under my GHIN number first time out with it so that is definitely good. I normally play the CS and I'm pretty sure the CS18 will be the ball for me again this year. I'm playing again on Monday this time on a course I have never seen before so it should be a solid test for the new ball.
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,167 ✭✭
    I managed to get my hands on a 3 pack of CSX that came with my new Rogue 3W.

Very impressive around the greens. Possibly one of the best balls I have ever used in terms of spin and feel on chips and pitches. Good stable flight on irons and decent enough off the tee.

Overall a very solid ball and one that I could easily play. But for me, I still prefer the Tour B X. The ball flight I get with that ball is superb - it is great in the wind and it is still a strong performer around the greens.

Having said that I can see the 18 CS and CSX going into a lot of people's bags this year.
    I got my hands on some Turvis CS 2018 and will put them into play tomorrow. Last night, I chipped and pitched with it and it was pretty good. Putter felt nice but the key will be how it will behave off the driver & my irons. Past balls include Srixon XV and Vivid XT.

I got to say, never played a Turvis ball, it was pretty funky to see the ball spin on the green image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips

• Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett Members Posts: 3,460 ✭✭
    edited Feb 9, 2018 #230
    Another full round yesterday with a CS X '18. I am becoming a big believer in this golf ball. It is wonderful off the driver. But is it any "longer"? Played a course I hadn't been to in quite a few seasons so didn't have a real hole by hole reference point of spots where I'd normally be playing my tee shot from. I'll put it this way, was hardly a dud in terms of distance, hit a lot of drivers and also my 4 wood setting up holes and was never disappointed when I got to my ball.

CS X has just a hint of softness off the irons compared to a Srixon Z or Bridgestone B. And plenty of touch from 50 yds and in. For example on a par 5 nipped about a 40 yd low pitch that even landed on a slight down slope and still settled quickly. I was impressed. The 4 greens I missed were then examples of how good the ball feels on little soft shots around the green. FWIW the ball feels veeeery good of the putter face. Only a very very slight click to it. The cover's quality was excellent. After 18 holes it was still spotless.

edit: I will say I still have zero feedback to give on this ball's performance in the wind. There hasn't been a significant breeze in the air here for weeks on end. The weather has been spectacular.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]
    http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    I just picked up 7 dozen Razn Tour Platinum so these balls my hafta wait till 2019. Maybe, if I get some at a tournament, I'll give them the old college try but, you can't pass up Nike Razn Tour Platinums.

Another full round yesterday with a CS X '18. I am becoming a big believer in this golf ball. It is wonderful off the driver. But is it any "longer"? Played a course I hadn't been to in quite a few seasons so didn't have a real hole by hole reference point of spots where I'd normally be playing my tee shot from. I'll put it this way, was hardly a dud in terms of distance, hit a lot of drivers and also my 4 wood setting up holes and was never disappointed when I got to my ball.

CS X has just a hint of softness off the irons compared to a Srixon Z or Bridgestone B. And plenty of touch from 50 yds and in. For example on a par 5 nipped about a 40 yd low pitch that even landed on a slight down slope and still settled quickly. I was impressed. The 4 greens I missed were then examples of how good the ball feels on little soft shots around the green. FWIW the ball feels veeeery good of the putter face. Only a very very slight click to it. The cover's quality was excellent. After 18 holes it was still spotless.

edit: I will say I still have zero feedback to give on this ball's performance in the wind. There hasn't been a significant breeze in the air here for weeks on end. The weather has been spectacular.

when you reference srixon z, do you mean the xv?

hope so

i play the xv and looking very closely at switching to the csx this year...

thanks
    Callaway CS-X 
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett Members Posts: 3,460 ✭✭
    yes, I mean my point of reference is '17 Z XV. And prior to that played B330S exclusively (for many, many years). but IMO any Z or B ball applies here.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]
    http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,508 ✭✭

yes, I mean my point of reference is '17 Z XV. And prior to that played B330S exclusively (for many, many years). but IMO any Z or B ball applies here.

This ball sounds like a winner if it’s softer than the XV. Hope it’s just as good in the wind.
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • ChadR7371ChadR7371 ClubWRX Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Just found some of these out on the shelf of a certain nationwide sporting good retailer. Picked up the graphine X tru vis in white/red. Couldn’t find my favorite yellow/black, but standard white and white/red were on the shelf in both standard and X. Rang up as 2018 Chromesoft.
    GC70 wrote:

This ball sounds like a winner if it's softer than the XV. Hope it's just as good in the wind.

Agreed

I have been waiting for a ball to one-up the XV - pro v's and tp's just don't quite do it
    Callaway CS-X 
  • texasdavetexasdave Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭
    Has anyone compared these to the Q-Star Tour?
    . TaylorMade M6 10.5*
    Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
    Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
    TaylorMade P790 5-PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
    2018 Cameron Fastback
    Titleist Pro v1x
    edited Feb 11, 2018 #238
    I got my round in with the CS. Normally I play the XV 4 and XV 5 balls but recently I've been playing the Vivid XT ball. So far the XT > XV in terms of driver performance. And I played in my regular course as well so I know where my landing spots are and if a drive was hot or meh.

Wedge - CS is brilliant. Soft and controlled, no silly spin. I pick my wedges like I do my full swing. I don't usually get a whole ton of backspin. One shot, it felt chilli hot but the CS spun and checked. If this was the XV or XT, it would have been "adios". The wedge game was good on the round. Is is because of the CS? Dunno.

Putter - soft. Every one knows how the CS putts.

Driver - right now, I think the jury is still out for me. Off the face, the ball was soft. Reminded me of my E6 days. Distance wise, it was up there, nothing spectacular but it was not short either. The 10th on Woodley Lakes is a tough driving hole. Its the #2 hole (should be #1 imho) and its a dog leg right. Plays like a Par 5 especially off the blacks. Gotta carry at least 260 to clear the lake, junk, palms and trees for where I aimed it and the CS nailed it. I recall some drives where I felt the ball went too high and yet it was out there. Had it been lower, it would have been spectacular. Another example was the 9th hole, the ball flew way high with a draw and ended up in the hole recently dug up to put a tree. Hole in one? LOL.

Couple of swings went right, but not too bad but its not E6ish in the forgiveness department. Overall the CS landed where I expected my XV or XT balls to land, there was nothing "wow" so far in the driving department.

Overall, right now, I am leaning that this is a great ball but driving was "meh" compared to other premium distance balls. Whether it stays in bag I dunno. Gotta try the CSX next. And gotta get more Vivid XTs as well image/ninja.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ninja:' />

• kermitmkermitm ClubWRX Posts: 233 ClubWRX
    Does anyone know when the 2018 CSX should be available at Dicks sporting goods?
  • tipperitipperi ClubWRX Posts: 71 ClubWRX
    ^^^Ditto. Or how about PGA SS? Making a trip down south over the long weekend and would love to put the CS18 in play. Curious if retailers have them on the shelves yet.
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,328 ✭✭
    edited Feb 13, 2018 #241
    According to the Cally website they begin shipping 2/16.

Not sure if that's the in-store release date.

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX