Nike One Platinum

JalivetoJaliveto ssjjPosts: 120
Looking for some reviews from those who play it
How about some reviews of the 08' Nike One Platinum ball.

Driver distance/spin

Iron distance/spin

feel

putting

I have played the ball a good bit now, but it's been cold and windy. Touch to judge. I did some searching on here and didn't find much.

Comments

• Deadpool_25Deadpool_25 Members Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Driver distance/spin: Good distance, but I find the ProV1x and TP Red LDP longer due to less spin. I'd say the difference is about 300-500 rpm on average and maybe 5 to 10 yards. The extra spin is also evident in sidespin, so the Platinum is maybe a little easier to work/get off line. Note that at first, I was NOT a fan of the Platinum. I definitely noticed more side spin off the driver and hit some shots that turned too much for my liking. I gave it another try and it was okay.

Iron distance/spin: again, a little more spin, though I don't see much difference in distance.

Feel: actually feels (sounds) a little harder to me than the other two balls.

Putting: since it sounds a bit harder, I like the other balls better.

All in all, it's a very good ball. It seems to spin more on every shot than the LDP Red which is okay on everything except off the tee (for me). However, I went back to the ProV1x after doing a bit more ball testing around the greens. The ProV1x plays similarly to the Platinum on approaches and short game shots, but seems longer off the tee for me.
  • TravAzTravAz Posts: 768
    edited Apr 15, 2008 #3
    Golf Mag did a huge ball review a month or two ago

http://www.golf.com/golf/special/0,30294,1703179,00.html

Basics - Significantly short with driver swing speed lower than 105, and then still a couple yards shorter at higher swing speeds.

SOFTEST ball tested

Most spin off of a full wedge. Something like 13,500 vs prov1 at 12,300.

It won 1st and 2nd at the masters.
    Current Bag:
    Cobra F7+, Baffler
    Vapor Fly Pro irons
    TM EF 50,54 PM Grind 58
  • TwiggyTwiggy Members Posts: 1,272
    Deadpool_25 wrote on Apr 15 2008, 02:33 AM:
    Driver distance/spin: Good distance, but I find the ProV1x and TP Red LDP longer due to less spin. I'd say the difference is about 300-500 rpm on average and maybe 5 to 10 yards. The extra spin is also evident in sidespin, so the Platinum is maybe a little easier to work/get off line. Note that at first, I was NOT a fan of the Platinum. I definitely noticed more side spin off the driver and hit some shots that turned too much for my liking. I gave it another try and it was okay.

Iron distance/spin: again, a little more spin, though I don't see much difference in distance.

Feel: actually feels (sounds) a little harder to me than the other two balls.

Putting: since it sounds a bit harder, I like the other balls better.

All in all, it's a very good ball. It seems to spin more on every shot than the LDP Red which is okay on everything except off the tee (for me). However, I went back to the ProV1x after doing a bit more ball testing around the greens. The ProV1x plays similarly to the Platinum on approaches and short game shots, but seems longer off the tee for me.

Exact same results for me. I've rotated so far this year between the Platinum, Black, and V1x. Platinum spins the most on all clubs, but is MUCH better than previous NOP models.

I'm now playing the Black and V1x. The Black has excellent feel for a "distance" ball and reacts well around the greens. The V1x has a softer feel and plays similar to the Black around the greens, giving the V1x a slight edge for me. Both are long and straight off the tee for me, no clear winner there.

I've never tried the LDP Red, but that's on my list to do.

Back to the original question, the Platinum is a good ball if you're looking for more spin on short irons and wedges. You will give up a little distance off the tee, but not excessive. It's a good ball and at least worth the purchase of a sleeve for testing.
  • Bomb and GougeBomb and Gouge Members Posts: 2,533
    It's too short for me....but great around the green.

I don't have the fastest swing speed and I've found that the Pro-V1x is much better for me. I also love the Srixon Z-URC and Bridgestone B-330s
  • ColinMBColinMB Members Posts: 1,836
    Right now I'm enjoying the V1X..... probably more than I should. The One Platinum is for guys with a shallow attack, and a ****-ton of club head speed. This is (paraphrasing) pretty much what Rock Ichi said about the ball. It's engineered for a Tiger type of player.

I'd guess if you're extremely confident about ball striking, and have gobs of power, I'd buy a sleeve and give it a test run. If you're like me and average 97-106 driver speed, and have a tendency to come in a tad steep, the V1x is maybe a better idea.

I honestly don't mean to thread jack but for all the criticism Titty has taken over the lawsuits, I have to admit the V1x is a 'do everything' kinda a ball for me. Whereas I feel the One platty is for a very narrow target market.
  • winston99winston99 Bay AreaMembers Posts: 121 ✭✭
    I had very similar results to dead pool. I found that it was quite a bit shorter off the driver (about 5-10 yards) but the irons and wedges remained the same. My biggest concern is short game control which this ball excels in. I am able to do a lot more things green side that I was not able to do with other balls. It feels as good as any high end ball and has similar playing characteristics as a LDP's, callaways, ProV1/X, srixon, bridgestone etc. I just noticed that green side it produced a little more spin which helped me throw the ball more at the pin instead of the check and release. Try a sleeve you might like what you see. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />
  • crew_138crew_138 Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,337
    I got a wicked deal on ebay for these, so i baught a load of them... wasn't sure about them but I couldn't pass up a deal on premium balls.

I have around 117 Swing speed according to an indoor monitor and I love the feel of these balls... I get the usual distance when I stripe one... I am not really concerned about 5 or 10yrds as long as it is fairway... but seems long enough for me.

Around the greens is the best feel of the ball for me.... I think they feel soft and I get some nice spin back with them... Although my Xtour Macdaddy grooves wedge leaves the evidence that I caught it good... Putting hasn't been to bad I think they sound great of the putter.

I Won my first tournement with them this year so I am pretty happy with them.
  • mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members Posts: 10,947 ✭✭
    Good balls.

Certainly the highest-spinning premium ball out there, and play like a spinnier (is that a word?) Pro V1. Pretty durable for a ball that spins a lot too.

I find it an excellent ball for my game. I still play long irons and the high spin helps me get a high and soft flight on them. I also like a lot of spin around the greens. It's also pretty workable with all the clubs too. The only caveat is that I give up some yardage with the driver as the flight's nowhere near ideal distance-wise. The benefits outweigh that single negative though, so they're in my bag. For me, it's the nearest thing to an old balata ball among the modern stuff.
  • jimbjimb Members Posts: 1,742 ✭✭
    I have not lost any distance with the 2008 NOP, which was surprise. It has a very soft feel on full shots and is nice soft ball to putt and chip with. For me it is as long of the ProV. In fact, I was doing some on course ball testing the other evening with the new Taylor Made TP Red, a Callaway Tour iX that I found, and the new Nike NOP. Really no appreciable difference in distance. For me a slight edget to the Callaway distance, which I liked more than the Taylor Made.

This really is a great ball.